|Real name:||Sandra Wu-San|
Base of Operations:
|Height:||5 ft 7 in|
|First Appearance:|| Richard Dragon, Kung Fu Fighter #5
|League of Assassins|
- "What do you know of justice? Behind bars or beyond them, these people never change. As long as they live, Gotham is stained."
Shiva is a highly trained and extremely dangerous assassin whose skills are known to be unmatched. She selects many of her targets simply to test her skills, but there were no known survivors. Shiva exploits the opportunity to implement several operations throughout Gotham that would serve as seeds for massive plans instrumental in an insidious conspiracy to wipe Gotham clean of corruption, crime, pollution, and most of its population in the years to come.
Under the orders of Ra's al Ghul, the mastermind and leader of the secret and worldwide organization, the League of Assassins, Shiva is put in command of a squadron of his trained soldiers, and uses them to murder corrupt cops and countless criminals in order to lure Batman into a series of tests to see if he would be a worthy addition to the organization, perhaps even serve as Ra's right hand man and eventual successor. Manipulating political activist, Quincy Sharp, into reopening Arkham Asylum, using the Joker's destructive schemes for chaos and anarchy as incentive to do so, Shiva helps to instigate a chain of events that would aid Ra's in assuming complete control of Gotham and, eventually, the world and wipe out countless innocent individuals in their goal of "cleansing" the world.
Shiva appears in the challenge map pack "Initiation" for Batman: Arkham Origins. In the last combat map of the game, she is an enemy in the final round. She appears in a cloud of smoke and attacks Bruce Wayne. She is unarmed, but functions as a martial artist and an armored enemy. Counterattack opportunities for her attacks are not indicated even if the player is in Normal difficulty. She only takes damage from countering her attacks or stunning her and the following with a Beatdown. Defeating her ends the campaign.
In this appearance, Shiva is still a student of Kirigi and was one of his most accomplished students.
Before Arkham Origins IncidentEdit
At some point before the events of Arkham Origins Shiva came into contact with Quincy Sharp and was able to convince him to reopen the old Gotham City mental hospital Arkham Asylum claiming that in exchange her master could help him achieve his ambitions to become Mayor of Gotham. Unknown to him, however, she was secretly manipulating him into becoming the perfect pawn for her master and Hugo Strange in a twisted plan to exterminate any and all crime and corruption in Gotham for good.
Shiva also came into contact with one of her potential business rivals: Bane. Whom was immediately suspicious of her. Intending to find out what her real intentions for coming to Gotham were, Bane had her abducted before she could meet with her squadron and taken to his lair where he attempted to interrogate her. Shiva remains elusive however, frustrating Bane enough to try and threaten her. Shiva, not intimidated in the least, instead decides to turn the tables on the mercenary by revealing inside information regarding the TN-1 formula. Angry and scared that his plans have been put in jeopardy, Bane demands to know how she came by this information. Shiva responds by simply telling him that her "master knows a great deal of information." Realizing who her true master is, Bane demands to know what he is planning only for Shiva to both threaten and warn him not to interfere. Not long after this Shiva escapes her captors and reunites with her squadron.
Arkham Origins Incident Edit
At the beginning of the night, Shiva was walking down an alley when she was ambushed by a gang of thugs. Despite being vastly outnumbered, Shiva was able to incapacitate and kill them all with ease. She was then given a mission folder from one Black Mask's thugs.
Shiva, along with Bane, Copperhead, Deathstroke, Deadshot, Electrocutioner, Killer Croc and Firefly, are hired by Black Mask to kill the Batman for a reward of $50,000,000 on Christmas Eve. She is seen in the video of the Batcomputer surrounded by thugs, fought them and she was delivered an envelope of Batman wanted dead by Black Mask. While taking up the hunt along with the other assassins, Shiva, knowing that "the Master" was interested in him, instead opts to test the vigilante's mantle; intending to pick up the reward as a consolation prize if he fails the test.
First luring the vigilante by using an abandoned baby carriage and a recording of a crying baby, Shiva instructs him to find and save an "Innocent Man" before he dies in the Burnley district. While Shiva used ninjas to further test his abilities, the Batman was able to save the innocent police officer, whom Shiva and her ninjas had captured, and also tracked down the body of another officer whom Shiva had killed due to his corruption.
While disappointed that the vigilante refused to agree that Gotham City needed to be purged instead of rehabilitated, Shiva instructed him to go to the Wonder Tower in the Sheldon Park district to finish the test; which involved a trail of combat between Batman, Shiva and a group of League of Assassins ninjas. With Batman surviving the trail and besting her ninja, Shiva allowed the vigilante to live; withdrawing herself from the hunt and said that Batman is as good as her master said. Batman attempts to take her into custody but Shiva vanishes, with Batman knowing this isn't the last he has seen of her. Before she leaves, she hints that she is working on behalf of a higher authority.
Between Arkham Origins, Arkham Asylum and Arkham City IncidentEdit
Arkham City IncidentEdit
Arkham Knight IncidentEdit
A cold, calculating, young woman who is willing to do anything to achieve her goals. Shiva spent most of her childhood and adult life training her body and mind to the point where she has been acknowledged as the most dangerous female martial artist in the world. The fact that both Batman and Bane are noticeably weary of her confirms her status as a dangerous warrior who shouldn't be underestimated under any circumstances.
Because of this Shiva has great pride in her skills, though she is in no way arrogant enough to believe herself unstoppable. She nonetheless seeks to test her abilities against strong opponents and often targets people to see how much she has improved. On each occasion she won every time and there was no record of any known survivors suggesting that Shiva is extremely merciless. It should be noted that most of her opponents were likely criminals.
Shiva hated criminals with a passion believing that they couldn't be redeemed and that the few who were were exceptions. As such, whenever Shiva encountered them she had little to no problem with killing them. One exception to this appears to be Bane, whom Shiva appears to have a mutual respect for, as she warned him away from interfering with her business in Gotham.
Despite being seen as a threat by Batman and countless others, Shiva has on occasion shown a more human side to her as she has willingly helped him on several occasions. She was also known to take apprentices whom she cared for greatly. Among them were Talia al Ghul, Black Canary, and even Tim Drake who would become the future Robin.
Shiva's relationship with the League of Assassins was a complicated one. While Shiva greatly cared for her apprentice and friend, Talia, and agreed with most of Ra's al Ghul's opinions, she became noticeably detached from the organization over the following years and eventually she chose to defect from the League completely. As shown in Arkham City when she was not present with the League.
Despite her long list of achievements, Shiva's personal life was filled with regrets. Perhaps the biggest was her failed relationship with her daughter Cassandra Cain. Despite Shiva believing that Cassandra would be better off without her in her life, she eventually realized later that she had made a mistake. Since then, Shiva has become determined to try to fix her mistake. It was this reason among others that Shiva decided to defect from the League.
She was shown to be extremely manipulative as she was able to easily trick Quincy Sharp into reopening Arkham Asylum without him ever suspecting a thing.
Although Batman was able to beat her in Arkham Origins, it was heavily implied that Shiva was holding back for the sake of the test and because she was curious to see what had intrigued Ra's al Ghul about him and even Batman himself doubted that he'd stand a chance against her if she decided to fight seriously.
Real Name: Sandra Wu-Sans
League of AssassinsEdit
Interpol: Numerous high-profile cold case assassinations of the last 3 year have been added to this file. See attached.
Police work on all major continents has little. One line of investigation through the Hong Kong Police Force has returned two pieces of data - an allegation of the name "Shiva" and a single photograph that allegedly depicts this individual. The informant that provided this information has since gone missing. Non-verified image is included for complements. See attached.
Batman's Database ProfileEdit
Police records are thin, but indications are that Shiva is highly trained and extremely dangerous assassin. Rumor is that she selects many of her targets simply to test her skills. There are no known survivors from these encounters. The threat she represents cannot be underestimated.
- Martial Arts Grandmaster
- Keen Intellect
- Indomitable Will
- Master of Stealth
- Weapon Master
- Tactical Analysis
- Bane: Answer my question. Why are you here?
- Shiva: The same as you, of course. Money, glory.
- Bane: Don't play games with me.
- Shiva: But you can play the cunning brute? I know of your reliance on venom. And your desire to eliminate it.
- Bane: How did you - ?
- Shiva: When you've lived as long as the Master has, you can gather a great deal of knowledge.
- Bane: You're working for him? What is he planning?
- Shiva: You know better than question his motives.
- Shiva: I am simply saying that my master shares your hatred of criminals.
- Quincy Sharp: Listen, I'm not sure who you are, or what you want, but I don't appreciate you meddling in my business.
- Shiva: We are hardly meddling. My master is simply offering you assistance. An opportunity you yourself say you desire.
- Quincy Sharp: What makes him so sure he can do it?
- Shiva: Well, it certainly will not happen over night. There are... steps we must take.
- Quincy Sharp: Strings. I knew it.
- Shiva: You say you want to be mayor, that you want to purge this city of criminals. Then taking this position is hardly a string.
- Quincy Sharp: So what did you say this facility was called?
- Shiva: Arkham Asylum.
Game Over Lines:Edit
- "You fought well. And so I grant you the favor of a quick death."
- "I take no pleasure in your death. But I see no other way."'
Batman: Arkham OriginsEdit
- "That's just a consolation prize in case you fail the test."
- "Somewhere in New Gotham, an innocent man is about to die. And we both know you won't allow that. So the question is: Can you find him, Batman? Can you save him?"
- "Because you wouldn't. He was corrupt. A murderer."
- "What do you know of justice? Behind bars or beyond them, these people never change. As long as they live, Gotham is stained."
- "And here I thought you might understand. Still, the test must continue. Meet me at Sheldon Park."
- "Why did you come? Don't you have a city to save?"
- "Yes. A lesson that seems lost on you, and many more will die if you do not learn it."
- "I admire your passion, though you cause is flawed. Now let us fight."
- "Strike now!"
- "Learn quickly, Batman."
- "Well fought. Now, let's see how you handle this!"
- "It is time to be tested!"
- "You cannot hope to match me!"
- "Do not disappoint us, Batman!"
- "Let's test your technique."
- "Let me show you true skill!"
- "A lesson for you."
- "Now pay attention."
- "Now we'll see if you are worthy!"
- "Earn your place, or die."
- "The test is ended! And with it, your life!"
- "Skilled. Honorable. Devoted. I see now why the Master has chosen you. It seems we have both learned something today."
- "No, you're not. But you have earned a reprieve. I hope, in time, you come to realize how wrong you are about Gotham. It is not meant to be saved. It cannot be saved - Only cleansed. And from the ashes, reborn."
- "The same as you, of course. Money. Glory."
- "But you can play the cunning brute? I know of your reliance on Venom. And your desire to eliminate it."
- "When you've lived as long as the Master has, you can gather a great deal of knowledge."
- "You know better than to question his motives."
- "I'm simply saying that my master shares your hatred of criminals."
- "We are hardly meddling. My master is simply offering you assistance. An opportunity you yourself say you desire."
- "Well, it certainly will not happen over night. There are... steps we must take."
- "You say you want to be mayor, that you want to purge this city of criminals... Then taking this position is hardly a string."
- "Arkham Asylum."
- She is only referred to as "Shiva" in Batman: Arkham Origins unlike her comics character which is called "Lady Shiva". Her full name, Sandra Wu-San, is also not listed in her profile, but rather as "Unknown".
- Though not appearing in person, Shiva's lover, David Cain, is listed as a potential assassin candidate, as seen in Black Mask's office in the Sionis Industries steel mill, along with Cheshire and Black Spider.
- While it is never directly stated, one can easily come to the conclusion that her master is Ra's al Ghul. Namely due to her masters fixation on Batman and during extortion data audio files she approaches Quincy Sharp about reopening Arkham Asylum and talks about Sharp wanting to become Mayor, which Ra's eventually does help Sharp win to form Arkham City.
- Shiva is the only assassin listed as "Defeated" rather than "Captured" after she is beaten by Batman, similar to Electrocutioner being the only assassin that's labelled as "Deceased". This also makes her the only one of the eight assassins that still remains at large and a potential threat in the future.
- Although she fights both Bruce Wayne and Batman, it remains unclear whether she knew they were the same person. Her affiliation with Ra's al Ghul and the League of Assassins, however, leans more toward that she knows.
- Shiva and the League of Assassins seem to share the mentality of Ra's al Ghul and the League of Shadows in the Nolan Trilogy, that Gotham can not be saved and only destroyed and reborn.
- Shiva may return in Arkham Knight, very likely to gain revenge against the Bat for Talia's death.