|Real name:||Oswald Chesterfield Cobblepot|
Base of Operations:
Bald (Arkham Knight)
|First Appearance:|| Detective Comics #58
- "Are you gonna be a good boy and give up nicely?"
The Penguin, one of Batman's oldest foes, is an eccentric criminal mastermind, known as much for his love of ornithology and trick umbrellas as for his shady business dealings. Gotham's popular Iceberg Lounge and the Final Offer serves as Cobblepot's front for a number of illegal financial activities that fund much of the city's underworld. Despite his short stature, the Penguin is a wily foe whose umbrellas conceal a variety of deadly weapons and gadgets.
Arkham Origins IncidentEditThe Penguin owns a ship in the Gotham harbor named the Final Offer. Earlier in the evening, Cobblepot arrived at Lacey Towers with his two henchmen, where he finds the body of a Black Mask decoy, but believed it was Black Mask. While in the apartment, he accidentally left his fingerprints on the wall, leading to the G.C.P.D to think he was behind the murder. On board the Final Offer, Penguin planned to host a fighting tournament in the boiler deck. Penguin has also kidnapped Alberto Falcone, in order to make his family get out the weapon's trafficking racket, but is interrupted by Batman, who begins to interrogate him as he smashes Penguin into a mirror on the wall.
Penguin starts to tell him about a murder at Lacey Towers when Deathstroke uses his Remote Claw to drag Batman out, and attacks him in the Fighting Pit of Penguin's ship. Penguin watched the fight between them, but when Batman wins, he then locks himself in his cabin with Tracey and Candy. Penguin has also stolen some weapon crates, which Batman finds out about through Barbara. He then uses his weapon disruptor to destroy them.
Arkham Origins Blackgate IncidentEdit
Following the breakout attempt at Blackgate, the Penguin decides to use the opportunity to go on a recruitment drive, hiring the best and most hardened criminals for his gang. Also he intended to utilize the prision's munition supply in order for his gang to gain dominance over Black Mask's and Joker's.
After taking over the entire cell blocks portion of the prison, Penguin hosted several cage matches between his men and Bronze Tiger, who refused to join Penguin's forces.
During one such fight, Batman managed to make his way into the Penguin's fight cage. After a brief brawl with Bronze Tiger, Batman tracked down Penguin who'd hidden in a deeper section of the cell blocks. After catching up to him, Batman face against Penguin who ordered his men to kill Batman and sending his drones to detect him, Batman successfully took down the Penguin and hung him up.
In the aftermath, Penguin bribes a guard to help him escape. The guard was cocky and was rude to Penguin. Penguin then attacked him, asked him how many of his men were in the prison and out of it. He obtained his umbrella from the guard and used it to kill him.
Between Arkham Origins and Arkham Asylum IncidentEdit
During a possible 10 year gap between the Christmas Eve Incident and Arkham Asylum Incident, Penguin continues the arms selling buisness. He also owns the Iceberg Lounge and much of the Bowery at this point.
Road to Arkham IncidentEdit
Penguin was presumably transferred to Arkham Asylum when it was re-opened. There he was a patient of Dr. Young's. He got out of the asylum before the Joker's takeover, presumably by bribing his way out.
Arkham Asylum IncidentEdit
Since he was released before Batman arrived, he is not encountered on Arkham Island during the riot. However, his personal belongings can be found in the Arkham Mansion and, when scanned, unlock his character bio.
After Arkham Asylum IncidentEdit
Soon after arriving in Arkham City, Penguin starts his own gang and meets Lester Kurtz, who wishes to join the gang after fleeing the Joker's. Unlike Joker, Penguin didn't want to put Kurtz through any initiation, and just told him to follow orders and he'll be paid. He then turns to another thug named Grisby, revealing a picture showing him double-crossing Penguin by giving information to Harley Quinn.
He then sends a panicked Grisby to "tell the man downstairs" and sends him down a trapdoor. Kurtz asks him what is in the trapdoor, and Penguin simply replies "Pray you never have to find out." Since Grisby told the Joker about the raid on the security armory planned by the Penguin, he tells his thugs they will have to get the weapons before they get to the armory. Due to the unexpected appearance of the Joker's goons, Kurtz had to destroy the guns, infuriating Penguin, but Kurtz was able to talk his way out of being sent "downstairs", and instead cuts his pay in half, also making him lead a strike on the weakened Joker's hideout the next day. To be sure that he doesn't escape, Penguin tells his men to lock Kurtz up for the night, but he escapes anyway by knocking out the goons.
Arkham City IncidentEdit
The Penguin is first seen when Bruce Wayne is thrown into the prison-city, he knocks Bruce out. Penguin then takes him into the slums, where he attemps to beat him with brass knuckles, but fails, because of Bruce countering the punch, and breaking his hand. After his hand is broken, the Penguin makes a threat to Wayne that he will go in his "collection". After Batman's encounter with the Joker, he tries to go to Mister Freeze's makeshift lab in the old G.C.P.D building, only to find that Penguin and his goons have taken Freeze. After one of the goons lets it slip that Penguin took Freeze to his museum, Penguin tries to lock Batman in the building, although Batman makes it out due to acquiring the city's municipal codes. Batman then makes his way to the museum, although Penguin tries to blow up some of the highway in the city, to ensure that Joker can't get the upper hand.
When Batman makes it to the Museum, he tries to hack his way into the building, only to find that his hacking device is not working properly because of three communications jammers, set up by the Penguin. When Batman returns from destroying the jammers, he finds out that Penguin's goons are not only holding Freeze hostage in the Iceberg Lounge, but several undercover police officers as well, who were sent in by James Gordon. As soon as Batman comes to rescue them, he sends criminals wanting to join his gang to take Batman down, as the initiation into his gang. However, Batman is able to defeat them, but finds that Penguin has already retreated into the Iceberg Lounge.
Following him, Batman finds that Penguin is using Freeze's freeze gun, and has already frozen two of the police officers, leaving them for dead, but Batman is able to save them. Batman then finds that the gun has a protective shield that protects it's user, meaning he cannot stop Penguin. He then goes to find Freeze, who eventually reveals that Batman could use a weapon's jammer in Freeze's suit to jam the gun, as well as taking the shield down. After retrieving the jammer, freeing the rest of the police officers held hostage in the process, he returns to The Iceberg Lounge, and is able to jam the Freeze gun. A panicked Penguin wonders why the gun is not working, before being punched by Batman, sending Penguin into the air and down onto the ground.
Penguin then uses a detonator to knock Batman into a room below the lounge, where he reveals he has Solomon Grundy chained to a wall. After Batman defeats Grundy, Penguin attacks Batman with the grenade launcher. Batman is able to apprehend Penguin, however, and returns to the trophy room, where Mr. Freeze was waiting.
Mr. Freeze, wanting payback for the torture he endured, stomps Penguin's already injured hand, causing Penguin to scream in pain. Batman orders Freeze to stand down. Freeze obliges, but proceeds to grab Cobblepot, and smash him on the exhibit in which a League of Assassins' ninja was captured in.
He is locked in one of his own displays, and is not seen in the story after that. If you return to the museum after Two-Face takes over, you learn that he hid himself behind the display and was not noticed by Two-Face, saving him from death.
Arkham Knight IncidentEdit
One year after the events of Arkam City, Penguin, Two-Face, Harley and all of Batman's foes join together to destroy the Dark Knight.
Real Name: Oswald Cobblepot
Initially affiliated with various street gangs and suspected of opportunistic fencing, Cobblepot is now believed to be the mastermind of an underground arms trade business. Additional alleged illegal businesses include a city-wide gambling ring, international arms smuggling, racketeering, and murder. Recent rumors also have him running an underground, unlicensed fighting ring. Several warrants exist for Cobblepot’s arrest, but he has never been served, due to a highly secretive off-the-grid lifestyle. Cobblepot’s name is not on the lease for any of his businesses, he owns no property, and pays no bills in his own name.
Of note: The only transaction Cobblepot has been officially associated with was the purchase of the Final Offer, an aging Somaliland-registered freighter believed to operate in U.S. waters.
Dr. Penelope Young Edit
SHOULD NEVER BE GIVEN AN UMBRELLA.
Psychological Profile: Pushed into schizotypal behavior by an inferiority complex. Cobblepot's specific eccentricities revolve around an obsession with ornithology and intense ideation based around umbrellas. Even within the confines of the asylum, he has managed to create working umbrellas with "trick" features. Maltreatment by other inmates and probings into possible sources for his insecurities always trigger intense overcompensation on his part, in the form of rantings about his business acumen and misunderstood intelligence.
His off-putting, antisocial behavior is frequently at odds with his need to be valued and admired.
He is compulsive about his sartorial appearance, which argues with his avoidance and denial of his physical shortcomings.
Dr. Hugo StrangeEdit
- Criminal and financial mastermind
- Driven by a need to prove himself in spite of his comical appearance
- Employs various weapons, many based on umbrellas and birds
Behind the ScenesEdit
In the Iceberg Lounge Challenge Map, it is Penguin's birthday with the signs said "Congratulations" and "Happy Birthday" in the lounge and Killer Croc is the only one who is invited for Penguin's birthday. Also, in Arkham Asylum, there is a poster on the wall advertising the Iceberg Lounge, and the date is July 13, the same birthday as Chris6d.
- "Let’s have us a little chat about respect."
- "I can 'ear your mouth flapping Bertie! But the sound coming out isn't the sound I wanna 'ear!"
- "Have a Merry Christmas, and piss off."
Arkham Origins BlackgateEdit
- "Batman! Welcome to my arena!"
- "Much more entertraining than the usual exercise hour in the yard, I think you'll agree!"
- "Enough gabbin'! TO THE DEATH!!!"
- "Ah! I think he's broken my bloody hand!"
- "Wakey, wakey, Wayne."
- "I'm what you call: A collector"
- "Enjoy the copsicle."
- "So Batman, you'ere for the cops? The Ice-man? Or me?"
- "Lights out Rich Boy"!
- "Press the button and watch the puppet dance."
- "Can you smell that? That's the smell of someone who tried to steal from me and spent four hours in a hot oven as punishment."
- "This is all that's left of a man who spent too long in the shark tank."
- "These sniper rifles can blow a single hair of a man at a thousand yards. Aim a little lower, and there won't even be a head left."
- "How good is this stuff?! Stops a nine millimeter at close range and keeps you warm in the cold."
- "Take a look at this lovely bit of kit. Pull the trigger and smile as three and a half pounds of explosives hurtle towards the sneaky little runt who thought he could get away from me."
- "Now when you really want to surprise the sneaky little bitch who's hunting you down, use these! Nothing yields surprise like a pound of C4 blowing your legs off when you least suspect it."
- "Look at all these lovely shotguns. I remember when these was all you needed to rob a Gotham bank or two."
- "Use these grenades to flush out all the dirty little vermin that likes to hide in dark corners."
- "Now this little minx is a real puzzle. Were did she come from? How did she kill eight of my men before we managed to hold her down and beat her into unconsciousness? All I know is... I like her pajamas."
- "Don't send your boys over here Harvey. Next time I’ll cut 'em in two... come to think of it, you'd probably like that, wouldn’t you?"
- "This will be the jewel of my collection! Coming soon!... the Batman!"
- "Hugo Strange is watching you! Yeah, right. Pity he wasn't watching this TYGER guard when we went to work on him with blow torches and iron bars."
- "Take a good look into the eyes of a monster! A deeply disturbed serial killer, a man responsible for the murder and subsequent mutilation of over one hundred men, women and children. You are looking at... Zsasz!"
- "A little bird told me that Bruce Wayne is on his way to be a part of my collection. When I get my hands on that spoiled little rich kid, I’ll make him regret what his family did to mine."
- "The joke is definitely on these losers! Tell me, what do I need to do to stop you sending these goons into my home, Joker? Kill you?"
- "Recognize Joker's pets? Me too. That's why I had them shot and stuffed!"
- "This one's just waiting for the clown's girlfriend to show up. She'll be good for minutes of entertainment before I cut her head off!"
- "The Clown Prince of Crime... Bah! This guy needs putting down like a sick puppy. He's been an inconvenience to my operations too long and to be honest, I really don't find him that funny."
- "A prize-winning cryogenic scientist pushed to the edge of sanity by a desire to help his poor, dying wife... Or an old man, captured by me and stuck on the grill?"
Predator (KO'd Henchman)Edit
- "I've lost one of your idiots. Let's end it right there."
- "I'm one man down. That's not good, is it? Still, I hope that the rest of you do your best not to disappoint me."
- "I'm running out of patience, you're running out of people. Let's see what runs out first."
- "Are you mucking me about? Find him!"
Predator Broadcasts (Calm)Edit
- "I'm paying you to protect that thing! Don't let me down."
- "Don't disappoint me. Stop - Batman - NOW!"
- "I want him stopped quick! Pundle him up and stump on display."
Predator Broadcasts (Nervous)Edit
- "You're supposed to be good at this."
- "He's making you looks like fools."
Predator Broadcasts (Terrified)Edit
- "All alone, son? You better not piss me off by dying. I need to have to wake you up to kill you again."
Game Over LinesEdit
- "Boys, get 'im outta here, and don't ding up any of the gear. That's worth some money!" (to Batman)
- "Awww, it's a real shame you're dead. You're actually worth more alive. *laughs*" (to Batman)
- "And THAT'S why I'm the boss. Now, if you excuse me, I've got bussiness to attend to. Piss off!" (to Batman)
- "Worlds Greatest Assassin? YOU? Bullocks!" (to Deathstroke)
- "Someone rip off his mask for my collection, at least its not spandex." (to Deathstroke)
- "Anyone want a slightly used Batsuit? I'm sure the blood'll wash off."
- "And there was me thinking it was going to be difficult. Get him out of here!"
- "Having a little lie-down, are you? Enjoy it. It's your last."
- "Someone cut the mask off his face. No need to be gentle."
- While the Penguin does not appear in Batman: Arkham Asylum, his top hat and a collection of his trademark umbrellas and hat can be seen behind glass at the South Corridor of the Arkham Mansion. An advertisement for his club, the Iceberg Lounge, can also be seen in the Intensive Treatment Center in William North's office. His name also appears on the party list.
- In Arkham City, some of the collection cases have a recording in which Penguin speaks about what is in each case.
- In the Iceberg Lounge Challenge Map, Penguin can be seen instructing his thugs to attack the player while on the other side of the room, Killer Croc is watching while smoking a cigar and drinking.
- In Arkham City, his "Monocle" is actually the bottom end of a glass bottle stabbed into his eye.
- Strangely in Lacey towers while scanning his fingerprint it says he is 4'6" whether this is intentional or an oversight, it remains unknown.
- The Penguin has an electrolarynx in his throat, implying that he has suffered damage to his vocal chords, either by his constant smoking of cigars, or possibly at the hands of Batman.
- If you get the Catwoman DLC, in the fourth level when you go to the museum, Two-Face's thugs are crowded around his cage, where he still is sitting. If you talk to him, he'll tell you to piss off and Catwoman threatens to show him how a cat tears apart a helpless bird. He hurriedly takes it back, saying he didn't mean it and Catwoman says "That's better."
- As Bruce Wayne, when you first enter, you can punch Penguin out anytime during (or after) the fight with his thugs, knocking him out and making him your first defeated villain.
- In the first fight, you play as Bruce Wayne after entering Arkham City. You only have to punch him once to beat him. In the later one, you need to give him a few punches, though he fires a grenade launcher at you after he fails to kill you with Grundy.
- This version of the Penguin appears in Injustice: Gods Among us in the Arkham Asylum stage and will attack the player if they enter that area along with Two-Face, Riddler and Killer Croc who proceed to beat the player into the next area.
- In Arkham Origins, the bottle that was smashed into his eye socket is missing, showing that the incident occurred between Arkham Origins and Arkham Asylum.
- Penguin has been watching the fighting pit three times. In Arkham City, he watches Batman fighting inmates on the Gladiator Pit in the Museum. In Arkham Origins, he watches Batman fighting Deathstroke on the Final Offer Cargo Hold in his cargo ship. In Arkham Origins Blackgate, he watches Batman fighting Bronze Tiger on a fighting pit in Blackgate.
- Penguin progressively loses his hair as time goes by. In "Origins", he has a receding hairline, in "City" he is heavily balding and in the first trailer for Arkham Knight his head is shaved completely bald.