|Real name:||Oswald Chesterfield Cobblepot|
Base of Operations:
|Iceberg Lounge, Gotham City|
Bald (Arkham Knight)
|First Appearance:|| Detective Comics #58
- "Are you gonna be a good boy and give up nicely?"
The Penguin is one of Batman's oldest foes and an eccentric criminal mastermind, known as much for his love of ornithology and trick umbrellas as for his shady business dealings. Gotham's popular Iceberg Lounge and the Final Offer serves as Cobblepot's front for a number of illegal financial activities that fund much of the city's underworld. Despite his short stature, the Penguin is a willy foe whose umbrellas conceal a variety of deadly weapons and gadgets.
The Penguin born into one of Gotham's wealthiest families; a dynasty of generals, mayors and industrialists. The Cobblepots were among the founding fathers of the city, however a long-standing rivalry with the Wayne family led to them encountering financial difficulties, having neglected their successful newspaper business in favour of a hotel chain. As a result of these difficulties, Oswald's father, Stanley Cobblepot, neglected his son, packing him off to boarding school in London. Feeling abandoned, and ostracised by his fellow students for his grotesque appearance, Oswald skipped more and more classes, preferring to associate with the criminal elements and other unsavoury types outside of school.
Eventually, the family businesses, and Penguin's father along with them, went bankrupt, giving Oswald a lifelong grudge against the Wayne family, in particular the last member, Bruce Wayne, who Oswald saw as nothing more than a spoiled rich boy. By this stage, Oswald had abandoned his education altogether, preferring to educate himself in a criminal lifestyle in order to rebuild the family fortune.
Before Arkham Origins IncidentEdit
As an adult he would establish himself as an international criminal and arms dealer known as the Penguin, and would return to Gotham with plans to build a criminal empire within the city. Having purchased an aging cruise liner named the Olivia B. Meredith from a group of Somali pirates, Penguin renamed it "The Final Offer", and exploited a legal loophole by selling weapons on board, sales which would be illegal on US soil but were perfectly legal onboard. He also used the casino on board as an additional source of revenue, cheating people out of their money. He had by this stage developed something of a sadistic streak, brutally killing anyone who had done something to wrong him, whether it be to fail in their duties as a henchman, or to attempt to cheat at gambling. The bodies of those who had wronged him were displayed in the theatre of his ship as a grim warning to others.
Penguin began to target his main rival for power in the city, Black Mask. His assistant Candy reveals to him that his real identity is billionaire businessman Roman Sionis, and Cobblepot vowed to pay a visit to him.
Arkham Origins IncidentEditOn Christmas Eve, Cobblepot kidnapped Alberto Falcone, in order to make his family get out the weapon's trafficking racket. He also arrived at Lacey Towers, intending to kill Roman Sionis in his safehouse, but instead found the body of Sionis' girlfriend, stung up from a chandelier, and a body in a black mask lying at his feet. Checking the body for Sionis' tell tale pacemaker, Cobblepot found nothing. While in the apartment, he accidentally left his fingerprints on the wall after stabbing the body with his umbrella, leading to the G.C.P.D to think he was behind the murder.
Not wanting to be found at a crime scene he fled back to his ship were, unaware he was wanted for murder, Penguin proceeded to host the annual fighting tournament in the boiler deck. During the festivities, Penguin began torturing Alberto, but is interrupted by Batman, who begins to interrogate him as he smashes Penguin into a mirror on the wall.
Penguin starts to tell him about a murder at Lacey Towers when Deathstroke uses his Remote Claw to drag Batman out, and attacks him in the Fighting Pit of Penguin's ship. Penguin watched the fight between them, but when Batman wins, he then locks himself in his cabin with Tracey Buxton and Candy and sits out the remainder of the evening.
Afterwards, Batman calls the cops to seize the Penguin's illegal weapons and used his weapon disruptor to destroy the locks from being opened on some stolen weapon crates Batman finds out about through Barbara.
Cold, Cold Heart IncidentEdit
Sometime after Christmas, Penguin encountered Mister Freeze, and provided him with muscle in exchange for cryogenic weapons that GothCorp had been developing. On New Year's Eve, Freeze and Penguin's thugs raided Wayne Manor, and captured Ferris Boyle. Batman tracked them to GothCorp, where Penguin was waiting. On the way to the lab, Penguin and his men betrayed Freeze, and demanded the weapons in exchange for Boyle. Batman intervened, which gave Freeze time to retaliate. He froze Penguin and the thugs in place, blocking the path. Penguin pointed Batman to finding a cryo-drill, which he had sent his men to get at the My Alibi nightclub. Later, Batman returned with the drill, and opened a path to Freeze. However, he left Penguin there, much to his anger. He was later arrested along with Boyle, and taken to Blackgate.
Arkham Origins Blackgate IncidentEdit
Following the breakout attempt at Blackgate, the Penguin decides to use the opportunity to go on a recruitment drive, hiring the best and most hardened criminals for his gang. Also he intended to utilize the prison's munition supply in order for his gang to gain dominance over Black Mask's and Joker's.
After taking over the entire cell blocks portion of the prison, Penguin hosted several cage matches between his men and Bronze Tiger, who refused to join Penguin's forces.
During one such fight, Batman managed to make his way into the Penguin's fight cage. After a brief brawl with Bronze Tiger, Batman tracked down Penguin who'd hidden in a deeper section of the cell blocks. After catching up to him, Batman face against Penguin who ordered his men to kill Batman and sending his drones to detect him, Batman successfully took down the Penguin and hung him up.
In the aftermath, Penguin bribes a guard to help him escape. The guard was cocky and was rude to Penguin. Penguin then attacked him, asked him how many of his men were in the prison and out of it. He obtained his trademark umbrella from the guard and used it to kill him.
Between Arkham Origins and Assault on Arkham IncidentEdit
During the years between the Christmas Eve Incident and Arkham Asylum Incident, Penguin would begin posing as a reformed criminal, while in reality he continues the arms selling business and becomes a criminal broker; owning the Iceberg Lounge and much of the Bowery at this point.
Posing as an up-market restaurateur, Penguin becomes convinced that he's finally found the public acceptance he's always craved from Gotham's in-crowd and elite, who saw him as a legitimate businessman. But beneath the surface of the Iceburg Lounge, a trendy nightclub converted from the themed restaurant of an old natural history museum, lay darker secrets, such as nightly brawls to the death in a gladiator pit, massive stashes of weapons, and a chamber where those who had wronged him were fed to a giant shark named Tiny. Below the lounge itself was a chamber containing Solomon Grundy, a zombie-like creature which Cobblepot used as punishment for his henchmen if they failed him.
He would later inadvertently help create the serial killer Victor Zsasz in the aftermath of an international poker tournament gone bad thereby leading up to Zsasz's first murder.
One night, Penguin caught a man cheating at cards and would torture him in front of the crowd. The man's friend retaliated by smashing a glass bottle apart and running the bottom deep into Cobblepot's left eye, blinding him and giving him the appearance of always wearing a monocle. Penguin, having had his assailant blinded and thrown onto the Gotham Freeway at rush hour, sought the finest doctors to remove the glass, only to be told that attempts to remove it would potentially kill him. Cobblepot eventually became content with it, believing it gave him a more "unique" look.
Assault on Arkham IncidentEdit
The Penguin was hired by Amanda Waller to supply arms and get The Suicide Squad onto Arkham Island. However the deal was nearly botched when Harley Quinn, girlfriend to his bitter rival Joker, was revealed to be a member of the squad. Although Penguin nearly killed the entire Suicide Squad Deadshot talked him out of it pointing out that it would ruin his reputation.
Instead Penguin gave the group the equipment and information that they paid for, a one night stay in his Iceberg Lounge, and instructions to be be given to Waller to never speak to him again.
Road to Arkham IncidentEdit
Penguin was presumably arrested at some point and transferred to Arkham Asylum when it was re-opened. There he was a patient of Dr. Young's. He got out of the asylum before the Joker's takeover, presumably by bribing his way out.
Arkham Asylum IncidentEdit
Since he was released before Batman arrived, he is not encountered on Arkham Island during the riot. However, his personal belongings can be found in the Arkham Mansion.
Between Arkham Asylum and Arkham City IncidentEdit
When Quincy Sharp sent a notice to Cobblepot for his eviction from the museum, he instead wrote an angry letter to City Hall informing the mayor that he would not leave. Hugo Strange sent Tyger guards in to evict Penguin, who had his men shoot three men in retaliation. Found guilty of murder, Cobblepot was allowed to keep his museum- now a part of Arkham City. Soon after being incarcerated in Arkham City, Penguin starts to enlarge his own gang and meets Lester Kurtz, who wishes to join the gang after fleeing the Joker's. Unlike Joker, Penguin didn't want to put Kurtz through any initiation, and just told him to follow orders and he'll be paid. He then turns to another thug named Grisby, revealing a picture showing him double-crossing Penguin by giving information to Harley Quinn.
He then sends a panicked Grisby to "tell the man downstairs" and sends him down a trapdoor. Kurtz asks him what is in the trapdoor, and Penguin simply replies "Pray you never have to find out." Since Grisby told the Joker about the raid on the security armory planned by the Penguin, he tells his thugs they will have to get the weapons before they get to the armory. Due to the unexpected appearance of the Joker's goons, Kurtz had to destroy the guns, infuriating Penguin, but Kurtz was able to talk his way out of being sent "downstairs", and instead cuts his pay in half, also making him lead a strike on the weakened Joker's hideout the next day. To be sure that he doesn't escape, Penguin tells his men to lock Kurtz up for the night, but he escapes anyway by knocking out the goons.
Arkham City Lockdown IncidentEdit
Arkham City IncidentEdit
- "Wakey, wakey Wayne."
The Penguin is first seen when Bruce Wayne is thrown into the prison-city, he knocks Bruce out. Penguin then takes him into the slums, where he attempts to beat him with brass knuckles, but Wayne counters, breaking Penguin's hand and escaping. After Batman's encounter with the Joker, he tries to go to Mister Freeze's makeshift lab in the old G.C.P.D building, only to find that Penguin and his goons have taken Freeze. After one of the goons lets it slip that Penguin took Freeze to his museum, Penguin tries to lock Batman in the building, although Batman makes it out due to acquiring the city's municipal codes. Batman then makes his way to the museum, although Penguin tries to blow up some of the highway in the city, to ensure that Joker can't get the upper hand.
When Batman makes it to the Museum, he tries to hack his way into the building, only to find that his hacking device is not working properly because of three communications jammers, set up by the Penguin. When Batman returns from destroying the jammers, he finds out that Penguin's goons are not only holding Freeze hostage in the Iceberg Lounge, but several undercover police officers as well, who were sent in by Commissioner Gordon. As soon as Batman comes to rescue them, he enters the gladiator pit, where he witnesses one of the officers get shot from behind by Penguin. After Batman refuses to be part of the Penguin's exhibits, the latter sends criminals wanting to join his gang to take Batman down, as the initiation into his gang to finish Batman. After Batman defeated the criminals, Penguin releases a Titan thug to finish Batman, revealing that he has a supply of the Titan formula. Batman is able to defeat the other criminals and the Titan henchman, but finds that Penguin has already retreated into the Iceberg Lounge.
Following him, Batman finds that Penguin is using Freeze's freeze gun, and has already frozen three of the police officers, leaving them for dead, but Batman is able to save them. Batman then finds that the gun has a protective shield that protects it's user, meaning he cannot stop Penguin. He then goes to find Freeze, who eventually reveals that Batman could use a weapon's disruptor in Freeze's suit to jam the gun, as well as take the shield down. After retrieving the disruptor, freeing the rest of the police officers held hostage in the process, he returns to The Iceberg Lounge, and is able to jam the Freeze gun. A panicked Penguin wonders why the gun is not working, before being punched by Batman, sending Penguin into the air and down onto the ground.
Penguin begs for Batman not to hurt him but Batman tells him he can't let him go unharmed. Penguin then uses a detonator which destroys the pillar Batman was standing on, knocking him into a room below the lounge, where he reveals he has Solomon Grundy chained to a wall. After Batman defeats Grundy, Penguin attacks Batman with his grenade launcher. Batman is able to apprehend Penguin, however, and returns to the trophy room, where Mr. Freeze is waiting.
Mr. Freeze, wanting payback for the torture he endured, stomps Penguin's already broken hand, causing Penguin to scream in pain. Batman orders Freeze to stand down. Freeze obliges, but proceeds to grab Cobblepot, and smash him on the exhibit in which a League of Assassins' ninja was captured in he then tells Penguin he will regret what he did to him.
He is then locked in one of his own displays (ironically, the one he saved for Bruce Wayne), and is not seen in the story after that. In the museum, Two-Face's gang are seen making fun of Penguin because getting locked up in one of his exhibits and claims that Two-Face will be back. If you return to the museum after Two-Face takes over, you learn that he hid himself behind the display and was not noticed by Two-Face, saving him from death.
After Arkham City IncidentEdit
Arkham Knight IncidentEdit
One year after the events of Arkham City, Penguin, Two-Face, Harley and all of Batman's foes join together to destroy the Dark Knight while under the command of Scarecrow.
In Arkham Origins, Penguin is seen younger and has hairline of his appearance. His height appears as a midget, his weight seems to gather his pounds and his stomach is a little big. He wears a custom brown coat with the collar lined with white fur over a silk button up shirt, black gloves, and black pants. He holds his cigar and umbrella, that he has a collection of his umbrellas.
Penguin appears in Arkham City, he is seen older. His hair has a balding spot, seen with a bottom end of the bottle stabbed in his left eye as a result of a bar brawl, making the bottle the appearance as a monocle and has a speaker in his throat that causes damage of his vocal cords. He wears a custom dark jacket with the collar lined with dark fur over a button up shirt with a hanky on top of his shirt. He has a broken left hand (that caused by Bruce Wayne who counters to break Penguin's hand).
Penguin's appearance in Arkham Knight seen with a change of his appearance. He is seen bald, still seen with a bottle bottom-like monocle in his eye and the speaker in his throat. He has a white shirt with his tie on, around his neck is a gold chain. He has a watch around his wrist and fingerless gloves.
Real Name: Oswald Cobblepot
Initially affiliated with various street gangs and suspected of opportunistic fencing, Oswald Cobblepot is now believed to be the mastermind of an underground arms trade business. Additional alleged illegal businesses include a city-wide gambling ring, international arms smuggling, racketeering, and murder. Recent rumors also have him running an underground, unlicensed fighting ring. Several warrants exist for Cobblepot’s arrest, but he has never been served, due to a highly secretive off-the-grid lifestyle. Cobblepot’s name is not on the lease for any of his businesses, he owns no property, and pays no bills in his own name.
Of note: The only transaction Cobblepot has been officially associated with was the purchase of the Final Offer, an aging Somaliland-registered freighter believed to operate in U.S. waters.
Batman's Database ProfileEdit
Dr. Penelope Young Edit
SHOULD NEVER BE GIVEN AN UMBRELLA.
Psychological Profile: Pushed into schizotypal behavior by an inferiority complex. Cobblepot's specific eccentricities revolve around an obsession with ornithology and intense ideation based around umbrellas. Even within the confines of the asylum, he has managed to create working umbrellas with "trick" features. Maltreatment by other inmates and probings into possible sources for his insecurities always trigger intense overcompensation on his part, in the form of rantings about his business acumen and misunderstood intelligence.
His off-putting, antisocial behavior is frequently at odds with his need to be valued and admired.
He is compulsive about his sartorial appearance, which argues with his avoidance and denial of his physical shortcomings.
Dr. Hugo StrangeEdit
Oswald Cobblepot A.K.A Penguin
- Criminal and financial mastermind
- Driven by a need to prove himself in spite of his comical appearance
- Employs various weapons, many based on umbrellas and birds
- Possesses an enormous amount of power and influence over the Gotham Underworld, granting him access to impressive amounts of technology and thugs that rivals even that of the Joker.
Behind the ScenesEdit
In the Iceberg Lounge Challenge Map, it is Penguin's birthday with the signs said "Congratulations" and "Happy Birthday" in the lounge and Killer Croc is the only one who is invited for Penguin's birthday. Also, in Arkham Asylum, there is a poster on the wall advertising the Iceberg Lounge, and the date is July 13, the same birthday as Chris6d.
- "Let’s have us a little chat about respect."
- "...the Bat Man? You expect me to believe that? Listen-I happen to know that the Bat Man's got way more important things to do tonight than mess with our shipment, and that's saving his own ass. So next time you wanna make up a story, you'd better hope the person you're tellin' it to ain't dumber than you are! Oh wait. That's right... THERE AIN'T NO ONE DUMBER THAN YOU!"
- "I don't care what you think you saw. If you're not back 'ere with my money in the next ten minutes, I'll cut your damn eyeballs out. And then you won't have to worry about seeing nothin' ever again. Is that clear!?"
- " Al right everyone, listen up. I know I oughtta cancel our annual Boiler Deck fights after what happened tonight in Jezebel Plaza, but just to show you what a nice guy I am, the fights are still on. So get yourself down to the ship right now if you want in on this. Do I make myself clear? Now get on down here. I ain't waiting for lagers."
- "Welcome, welcome to this year's Boiler Deck fights! You know, I always get a laugh outta you first round lot. That's why I keep you boys 'round. Well that an' I need someone to clean out the pisser! An' don't think I didn't notice those of you who didn't bet on yourselves. You're either cheap or lacking confidence. Neither are desirable qualities. I'll sort you lot out after the tourney. But let's get started! Who's ready for some action?"
- "Oh, come on ladies! Stop trying ta keep yer dresses clean an' fight."
- "Come on, now. I've seen school girls with more grit!"
- "That the best you can do? You hit like a ponce!"
- "Miserable. You're all miserable ain't ya?"
- "C'mon, son! At least make a show of it."
- "Ooh! You are a wanker, aren't ya?"
- "Kick 'im in the 'ampsteads!"
- "Crack on, now."
- "Alright lads, the rest of you losers-to-be, are gonna have to embarrass yourselves without me. God knows you can do it. I got some business to take care of in me office, and I don't want to be disturbed. Tracey'll be running the fights till I get back."
- "Now where were we, Candy?"
- "Now you best listen, Falcone......'cos this is the last time I'll ask'."
- "What are you gonna tell yer father?"
- "I see your lips flappin, Berty, but they ain't makin' the sound I want to hear."
- "You idiots better kill him-cos if not, you better 'ope he kills you."
- "Punch him in the FACE!"
- "Don't stand there! Kill'em!"
- "What are you waitin' for!?"
- "Are you waitin' for a personal invitation?"
- "Kill'em you bloody wankers!"
- "C'mon now! Remind me why I pay you ponces!"
- "Kick his arse you numpty prats!"
- "Now hold on, hold on a bloody minute!"
- "I seen your act. I ain't done nothing you'd not'a done."
- "I don't keep tabs on every geezer with a grudge. You're not a popular bloke in this town."
- "Eck...Wait-Wait...Lacey Towers. There was a murder...It was supposed to be his safehouse...But Ol' Black Mask-e's got problems of'is own, I'd say. Someone broke in there and-"
- "Nice seein' ya, Batman. Feel free to let yourself out."
- "You'll have more luck gettin' into a nun's skivvies than gettin' into this room. Go on, then. Beat it a bit harder. Really make me feel it."
- "Well, as you can see, I got me 'ands full. 'ave a Merry Christmas, and piss off."
- "Candy? What a treat! Where you been, luv?"
- "Ah, yes. Catch anything interesting?"
- "Now, what would Roman want with that lot, I wonder? I think it's time to break out some our new hardware. We need to keep an eye on our friend, Black Mask."
Cold Cold HeartEdit
- "If this goes sideways, you come runnin'."
- "I know you won't. Boyle's got the codes you need, an' I ain't givin' 'im up 'less I get what he's givin' ya."
- "What I'm interest in is the weapons I was promised. I know you're holdin' out on me."
- "Oh-ho! I think you're confused about what is about to 'appen 'ere."
- "As soon as you show us that big fishbowl, my boys'll blow it open."
- "And if that don't work, I'll be sure to blow your precious code right out of Mister Boyle's 'ere's brains."
- "Gettin' what I was promised ain't got nothin' to do with gettin' what I want."
- "Bloody'el. You're supposed to be the genius, aren'tcha? And you think you can out-muscle me? 'Ave a look around!"
- "Yeah? So? SUE me! AFTER you give me what's hidin' in that back room, of course."
- "You again!?" [to Batman]
- "You. This is your fault. You get me out a'this!" [to Batman]
- "Boyle's got codes he needs access some kind of a'superweapon. And now you let'em have it!"
- "Yeah. Yeah. Look-you want to save our friend, Mister Boyle, yeah? But you'll never break through this ice. GothCorp has a device.. a uh-it's like a drill-a cryodrill."
- "I 'ad my men bring all our-acquisitions to the My Alibi night club. For safekeepin', of course."
- "All those assassins and he still ain't dead. It's like a bad joke."
- "You wanna save Boyle? You're gonna need that drill."
- "You gonna just stand there? I'm gonna freeze t'death!"
- "What are you waitin' for? Get to My Alibi, get that drill and get back here!"
- "You know what I'm gonna do when I out a'here? I'm gonna 'ave Candy pour me a nice, hot bath. And then I'm gonna drown you in it!"
- "Are you completely and utterly dense?"
- "Get-get over 'ere you numpty bugger! Put your scrawny little neck in my 'and so I can strangle some sense into you!"
- "You're gonna get me out a'this damn iceberg?"
- "But-you can't leave me here. I'll freeze to death."
- "Oh. So, you come back to gloat, 'ave ya? I'll 'ang you with that bloody cape. You 'ear me!?"
- "C'mon, Batman. You got a price, yeah? Name it-it's yours."
- "You're a cold-hearted bastard, you know that."
- "I'm gonna make your life a livin' 'ell. You hear me you pointy-eared freak!?"
- "Let's be reasonable. You're not gonna let me die 'ere now are ya... Are ya?"
- "You can't leave me 'ere, Batman. I'm freezin' to death!"
Arkham Origins BlackgateEdit
- "Batman! Welcome to my arena!"
- "Much more entertraining than the usual exercise hour in the yard, I think you'll agree!"
- "Your timing is perfect! We're fresh out of prison guards to challenge our reigning champion...Bronze Tiger! Simple rules, gentlemen-the one that doesn't die keeps fighting!"
- "Tiger, you became my toy when you declined to join the ranks of my soldiers!"
- "Now...it's play or die!"
- "Enough gabbin'! TO THE DEATH!!!"
- "Come on! Finish him off! Do it!"
- "Oh Turner, you fool! Don't dance with him! Kill him!"
- "Come on! Show him what you're made of!"
- "Punch him! Kick him! Do something!"
- "Hope you learned your lesson, Batman!"
- "To the death, Batman! Finish him!"
- "This is my arena, Batman! You're my toy to play with!"
- "Get in there! Make him pay for defying me!"
- "Kill them both!" [after Penguin gets shot in the arm by Bronze Tiger]
- "Hurry, you fools! At this rate, I'll finish my entire sentence waiting for you!"
- "Finally!" [after the munitions door unlocks]
- "Wrong, Batman...I've claimed this turf, and you're the one who's trespassing!"
- "With what's beyond this wall, I have everything I came to Blackgate to find!"
- "Then I'll show everyone who thought I was finished!"
- "Only the strong survive, like back in my arena! And I intend to survive!"
- "I've got a name for you lad from where I come from, pansies!"
- "Oh, please! Just finish them off so I don't have to witness anymore of this debacle!"
- "You really think you're a match for my men?" [laughs]
- "You messed with the wrong Cobblepot!"
- "I'm sure we can be reasonable about this, Batman."
- "I'm talking common sense...I mean obviously, I'm one of the least dangerous blokes in here."
- "I mean, heh heh...look at me!"
- "Aww, you flatter me, Batman."
- "But what reason could there be to cage a poor, flightless bird like myself?"
- "Down, you fool! Get me down!"
- "As long as I'm paying you, I'll speak to you however I please, fool."
- "Now, did you bring what I requested from the prisoner belongings lockup?"
- "At least you've done one thing right today."
- "You know, I thought it'd be easier to run my empire from in here than outside, where the Bat could interfere."
- "Aw, well, I have many bases of operation in this city. How many men do we have?"
- "I think you mean eleven." [kills corrupt guard that freed him with umbrella]
- "And hopefully they won't have as much trouble taking orders as you did."
Assault on ArkhamEdit
- "Right. Right. Come in."
- "Welcome to the Iceberg Lounge. I'm just finishing my supper."
- "Lawton? I never pegged Deadshot for a team player."
- "That's a good one!"
- "This man is the best assassin I have ever seen, and I only work with the best."
- "I can, indeed."
- "I've made arrangements to sneak you into the crazy farm. Follow them to...You!"
- "You cost me money, Funny Girl. Her and her loony boyfriend lit my truck of cigarettes and drove into the river just for a laugh!"
- "Nobody steals from me and walks away. It's bad business, love."
- "Get her out of my sight, Lawton."
- "There's your files. Rememorize the contents. You can grab some shut-eye in the rooms above."
- "You deploy tomorrow night under the cover of darkness, and then I never want to see any of you on my turf again."
- "Now get the hell out of here!"
- "Well, look who it is."
- "Welcome to hell, Brucey-boy."
- "Lights out, rich boy!"
- "Wakey-wakey, Wayne!"
- "Oh, what's up? Do you need me to call your butler?"
- "Aw, you remember me. I'm touched."
- "Your family destroyed mine, Wayne. This...well, let's just call this good, old-fashioned revenge."
- "GET HIM!"
- "Ah! Hurt him! I think he's broken my bloody hand!"
- "Do you know who I am!? Open this damn gate now!"
- "When this lot is done with you, I'll personally break every bone in both your hands!"
- "Someone! Open this freakin' gate!"
- "You're gonna pay for this, Wayne!"
- "Get this gate open! Now!"
- "Don't let him get away!"
- "Help! Get me out of here!"
- "I knew you were too chicken to face me, Wayne!"
- "Go on! Run! Climb like a bloody monkey. It won't do you any good! I own Arkham City! You hear me? I own this town!"
- "You can't run. You can't hide. I'll have my men out looking for you, and when they do find you, you're going in my collection. Understand?"
- "Can you hear me? What's going on? Oh, for the love of..."
- "If any of you idiots at the GCPD are still capable of breathing, switch to channel Puffin-Zero."
- "Do you understand. Puffin-Zero, now!"
- "Good. Make sure it stays that way."
- "Let's get this straight. Are you telling me that you all are so incompetent that you want me to come down there and help you search a room?"
- "Keep him busy. I've shut down all access to the GCPD. He's not going anywhere!"
- "I'll have to cut that tongue out of your head, boy. I don't like people tellin' tales on me."
- "You can 'ave him, Batman. I'm safe and sound here in my Museum. Try and get me if you like."
- "I've got plenty of surprises ready for you if you do, starting right now."
- "See, I told you it would work. Blow the bridges and cut off the clown's forces. Easy."
- "And your point is?"
- "Try to take some of them down before you die, son."
- "I don't think I want you breaking into my little home, Batman."
- "What's going on out there? One of the jammers' signal's disappeared!"
- "Well find out! And while you're doin' it, make sure the other jammer's safe or I'll find you and I'll stick what's left of it up your..."
- "Batman's done something to the jammers up top! Where are the rest of you idiots?"
- "Just set it up wherever you are. Do it now! Batman's probably on his way down there! Understand?"
- "What the hell is happening down there? Hello? Is someone going to answer me? I give you one simple task: stick up a couple of freaking machines. And what? You couldn't even get that right? I hope Batman broke every body in your stupid bodies. I hope you're lying there, desperately trying to breathe through fractured ribs and punctured lungs. If you're not, you'd better summon up whatever strength you've got left and run, 'cause after I'm done with the Bat, you're all next!"
- "I wouldn't do that if I was you."
- "Show 'im what we've got."
- "So Batman, you'ere for the cops? The Ice-man? Or me?"
- "Aren't you scary?"
- "Am I really?"
- "Listen, I'm what you might call, a collector."
- "If someone wants it, I like to think... I've got it."
- "And if I don't have it, I'll get it."
- "So here's the thing. Back there, I've got a cabinet with your name on it, just waiting to be filled. And as luck would have it, here you are, standing just where I want you."
- "So, what you do think? Are you going to be a good boy and give up nicely?"
- "I was hoping you'd say that. Look around you. This horrible bunch of psychopaths are all begging to join up with me, but unfortunately for them, I only take the best. And today, best means whoever can kill you."
- "Come on out, lad. It's initiation time!"
- "Kill him! Kill 'im! Kill HIM!"
- "Hurt him!"
- "Maybe you all didn't hear? If you don't kill him-then you don't get to work for me!"
- "What are you waiting for? Hurt him!"
- "C'mon! Put some effort in!"
- "You weren't supposed to do that, Batman."
- "You're forcing me to bring out the big guns."
- "Aw! He's doesn't look happy to see you, Batman! Good luck!"
- "Stay where I can see you, Batman."
- "You wouldn't believe the fight the old snow man put up. Still, I got what I wanted. That's all that matters."
- "Hold still, boy!"
- "When you're done in here, feel free to join me in the Iceberg Lounge so I can kick your arse again."
- "Enjoy the copsicle!"
- "Sorry about that Batman. Have you met my little friend down there?"
- "Meet Tiny. Who'da thought a big fish could be so useful? Not me, that's for sure."
- "He's like a mobile garbage truck. Whatever I drop in that tank, just...vanishes. Poof. Problem gone."
- "Hello, Batman. Can you hear me? 'Course you can."
- "Thought you'd like a little entertainment to go along with the ice skating."
- "Tell him your name, son."
- "Oh! This piggy's still got some life in 'im. Good. Let's hear him squeal."
- "What you're hearing is the sound of an undercover cop having his fingers frozen to sub-zero temperatures."
- "Now, I wonder what would happen if I take this hammer and..."
- "Well, what do you know? His whole bloody hand explodes."
- "You better, son. Batman's on the way and the last time I saw him, he didn't look very happy."
- "Tell the boys there's an extra hundred grand in it for whoever brings him in alive."
- "Hello, Batman! I know it's you! What is it? Finally grown a pair and come to find me?" *"Well, good luck!"
- "Hold still ya wanker!"
- "Hold still, Batman!"
- "Watch the birdie!"
- "This place is mine. Piss off!"
- "You can't win, Batman."
- "Tell you what, Batman. I'll give you this one for free."
- "Come and 'ave a go. If you're not scared, that is."
- "What is it? You think you can beat me?"
- "Come on then, son. Give me your best!"
- "C'mon, fire, damn you!"
- "What the hell is wrong with this thing?"
- "Stay back, stay back!"
- "No! I'm sorry! Please don't hurt me."
- "Me neither."
- "I tried to help you, Batman. I gave you the opportunity to end this and walk away, but oh no. You had to be the big man."
- "Well, guess what? From up here, you look pretty small."
- "Aw! Don't look so sad, I've got a little surprise for you down there."
- "I found him down there when I bought this place. Comes in handy!" [Solomon Grundy]
- "What the hell are doing?!"
- "Those things are antiques! Leave 'em alone!"
- "No! What the hell are you doing?"
- "Oh, you're asking for it now! Let's see how much that ugly son of a bitch can take!" [Solomon Grundy]
- "Oh, that looked like it hurt, didn't it? Good job that bugger's immortal!" [Solomon Grundy]
- "Enough with the bloody explosives! I mean it!"
- "What have you done? You little... You can't kill him! You can't!" [Solomon Grundy]
- "Well what do you know? You really can't kill that bastard!" [Solomon Grundy]
- "Stop that!"
- "Just you and me left! The Bat vs. the Bird!"
- "Well, look who it is. Mr. Fr..."
- "This isn't over!"
- "I'm a patient man. I can wait!"
- "You're going in my collection, Batman. I always get what I want."
- "My family used to own Gotham. It will again."
- "I'll take this all back. Just wait and see."
- "Piss off!" [to Catwoman]
- "Please, don't hurt me! I didn't mean it." [to Catwoman]
- "Well, look who it is. What's up, Batman? Did a little bird tell you that Two-Face was back?"
- "Who do you think you talking to? Oswald Cobblepot doesn't hide from anyone, understand? He just... he just didn't see me."
- "Press the button and watch the puppet dance."
- "Can you smell that? That's the smell of someone who tried to steal from me and spent four hours in a hot oven as punishment."
- "This is all that's left of a man who spent too long in the shark tank."
- "This is what happens when you try and get clever with me. Look closer! Do you want this to happen to you?"
- "These sniper rifles can blow a single hair of a man at a thousand yards. Aim a little lower, and there won't even be a head left."
- "How good is this stuff?! Stops a nine millimeter at close range and keeps you warm in the cold."
- "Take a look at this lovely bit of kit. Pull the trigger and smile as three and a half pounds of explosives hurtle towards the sneaky little runt who thought he could get away from me."
- "Now when you really want to surprise the sneaky little bitch who's hunting you down, use these! Nothing yields surprise like a pound of C4 blowing your legs off when you least suspect it."
- "Look at all these lovely shotguns. I remember when these was all you needed to rob a Gotham bank or two."
- "Use these grenades to flush out all the dirty little vermin that likes to hide in dark corners."
- "Check out these little beauties. State of the art military hardware means no one will be able to hide in the shadows."
- "Interference generators. At the flick of a switch, turns even the most techonologically prepared attacker into a caveman feeling their way into the dark."
- "Who doesn't like machine guns? These little beauties fire over 100 rounds a minute and even better, are so inaccurate, you don't even need to try. Just pulling the trigger means somebody in the room will be lying in a pool of blood in seconds."
- "You are looking at the world's most advanced refrigerator. Stick a sickly scientist inside it and you've got Mister Icebox himself."
- "Now this little minx is a real puzzle. Were did she come from? How did she kill eight of my men before we managed to hold her down and beat her into unconsciousness? All I know is... I like her pajamas."
- "Don't send your boys over here Harvey. Next time I’ll cut 'em in two... come to think of it, you'd probably like that, wouldn’t you?"
- "This will be the jewel of my collection! Coming soon!... the Batman!"
- "Hugo Strange is watching you! Yeah, right. Pity he wasn't watching this TYGER guard when we went to work on him with blow torches and iron bars."
- "Take a good look into the eyes of a monster! A deeply disturbed serial killer, a man responsible for the murder and subsequent mutilation of over one hundred men, women and children. You are looking at... Zsasz!"
- "A little bird told me that Bruce Wayne is on his way to be a part of my collection. When I get my hands on that spoiled little rich kid, I’ll make him regret what his family did to mine."
- "The joke is definitely on these losers! Tell me, what do I need to do to stop you sending these goons into my home, Joker? Kill you?"
- "Recognize Joker's pets? Me too. That's why I had them shot and stuffed!"
- "This one's just waiting for the clown's girlfriend to show up. She'll be good for minutes of entertainment before I cut her head off!"
- "The Clown Prince of Crime... Bah! This guy needs putting down like a sick puppy. He's been an inconvenience to my operations too long and to be honest, I really don't find him that funny."
- "A prize-winning cryogenic scientist pushed to the edge of sanity by a desire to help his poor, dying wife... Or an old man, captured by me and stuck on the grill?"
Predator (KO'd Henchman)Edit
- "I've lost one of your idiots. Let's end it right there."
- "I'm one man down. That's not good, is it? Still, I hope that the rest of you do your best not to disappoint me."
- "I'm running out of patience, you're running out of people. Let's see what runs out first."
- "Are you mucking me about? Find him!"
Progress of HenchmenEdit
- "Three of you left? What is this a freakin' dance competition? Kill him now!"
- "It's just you, son."
- "All alone, son? You better not piss me off by dying. I need to have to wake you up and kill you again."
Predator Broadcasts (Calm)Edit
- "I'm paying you to protect that thing! Don't let me down."
- "Don't disappoint me. Stop - Batman - NOW!"
- "I want him stopped quick! Pundle him up and stump on display."
Predator Broadcasts (Nervous)Edit
- "You're supposed to be good at this."
- "He's making you looks like fools."
Predator Broadcasts (Terrified)Edit
- "Find him! Kill him! Do it!"
Batman: Arkham KnightEdit
- "Batman? Don't worry about Batman. He's about to become extinct!"
- "Look at it all! Lovely, lovely money! And it's all mine!"
- "So that's who we have?" - Penguin recognizing the Arkham Knight from Batman's interrogation.
- "We're bloody rich!" - Penguin surrounded by a pile of money.
Game Over LinesEdit
- "Boys, get 'im outta here, and don't ding up any of the gear. That's worth some money!" (to Batman)
- "Awww, it's a real shame you're dead. You're actually worth more alive. *laughs*" (to Batman)
- "And THAT'S why I'm the boss. Now, if you excuse me, I've got business to attend to. Piss off!" (to Batman)
- "Worlds Greatest Assassin? YOU? Bollocks!" (to Deathstroke)
- "Someone rip off his mask for my collection, at least its not spandex." (to Deathstroke)
- "Anyone want a slightly used Batsuit? I'm sure the blood'll wash off."
- "And there was me thinking it was going to be difficult. Get him out of here!"
- "Having a little lie-down, are you? Enjoy it. It's your last."
- "Someone cut the mask off his face. No need to be gentle."
Batman: Arkham OriginsEdit
Batman: Arkham Origins BlackgateEdit
Batman: Assault on ArkhamEdit
Batman: Arkham AsylumEdit
Batman: Arkham CityEdit
Batman: Arkham KnightEdit
- While the Penguin does not appear in Batman: Arkham Asylum, his top hat and a collection of his trademark umbrellas can be seen behind glass at the South Corridor of the Arkham Mansion. An advertisement for his club, the Iceberg Lounge, can also be seen in the Intensive Treatment Center in William North's office. His name also appears on the party list.
- Despite being born in Gotham, this version of the Penguine speaks with a lower-class English accent, (possibly due to his time in a London boarding school, as stated in his bio)
- In the Iceberg Lounge Challenge Map, Penguin can be seen instructing his thugs to attack the player while on the other side of the room, Killer Croc is watching while smoking a cigar and drinking.
- In Arkham City, his "Monocle" is actually the bottom end of a glass bottle stabbed into his eye as the result of a bar fight. Removing the bottle from his eye would be fatal.
- Strangely in Lacey Towers while scanning his fingerprint it says he is 4'6", whether this is intentional or an oversight, it remains unknown.
- In Arkham Asylum, he is listed as 5'2" in his biography.
- The Penguin has an electrolarynx in his throat, implying that he has suffered damage to his vocal chords, either by his constant smoking of cigars, or possibly at the hands of Batman.
- If you get the Catwoman DLC, in the fourth level when you go to the museum, Two-Face's thugs are crowded around his cage, where he still is sitting. If you talk to him, he'll tell you to piss off and Catwoman threatens to show him how a cat tears apart a helpless bird. He hurriedly takes it back, saying he didn't mean it and Catwoman says "That's better."
- As Bruce Wayne, when you first enter, you can punch Penguin out anytime during (or after) the fight with his thugs, knocking him out and making him your first defeated villain.
- In the first fight, you play as Bruce Wayne after entering Arkham City. You only have to punch him once to beat him. In the later one, you need to give him a few punches, though he fires a rocket launcher at you after he fails to kill you with Grundy.
- This version of the Penguin appears in Injustice: Gods Among us in the Arkham Asylum stage and will attack the player if they enter that area along with Two-Face, Riddler and Killer Croc who proceed to beat the player into the next area.
- In Arkham Origins, the bottle that would be smashed into his eye socket is missing, showing that the incident occurred between Arkham Origins and Arkham Asylum.
- Penguin has watched Batman in a fighting arena three times. In Arkham City, he watches Batman fighting inmates on the Gladiator Pit in the Museum. In Arkham Origins, he watches Batman fighting Deathstroke on the Final Offer Cargo Hold in his cargo ship. In Arkham Origins Blackgate, he watches Batman fighting Bronze Tiger on a fighting pit in Blackgate.
- Penguin progressively loses his hair as time goes by. In "Origins", he has a receding hairline, in "City" he is heavily balding and in the first trailer for Arkham Knight his head is shaved completely bald.
- In Arkham Knight, it is revealed that he is getting "pally" with Two-Face, despite the fact in Arkham City not only did Two-Face take his Museum, but also kept him trapped, and thus humiliating him.
- In Batman: Arkham Knight, his left hand is still wrapped in a bandage, despite being broken at least a year earlier during the previous game.
- Despite the fact Assault on Arkham takes place before Arkham City, Penguin's left hand is bandaged up just like it is when it was broken by Bruce Wayne at the beginning of Arkham City