|Real name:||Barbara Gordon|
Base of Operations:
|Height:|| 5 ft 2 in (Origins)
5 ft 11 in (Arkham City)
|First Appearance:|| As Batgirl: Detective Comics #359 (Jan 1967)
As Oracle: Suicide Squad #23 (Jan 1989)
| Kimberly Brooks
Kelsey Lansdowne (Arkham Origins)
The daughter of Gotham City's Police Commissioner James W. Gordon, Barbara Gordon was forbidden by her overprotective father from joining the GCPD. Instead, she took on the identity of Batgirl and was a crime-fighting partner of Batman for years. But that all ended when the Joker shot her through the spine.Paralyzed from the waist down and confined to a wheelchair, Barbara adopted the new identity of Oracle, and now aids the Dark Knight with her computer expertise, providing Batman with a constant stream of information in the field to aid his battle against crime.
Arkham Origins IncidentEdit
Barbara is first seen in an argument about Batman with her father. Batman meets Barbara in the GCPD server room while trying to access the nation database. While talking with Barbara, the GCPD SWAT tosses a smoke grenade into the room. Barbara runs outside to stall them so Batman can get away.
After Batman exits the GCPD building, Barbara hacks into Batman's communication and asks him for help. Penguin has weapon crates all over Gotham City and the Disruptor Batman took out of the evidence room can prevent them from being opened.
Batman agrees to help and after disabling all weapon crates Barbara tells Batman that she thinks they make a good team and if he ever needs help or a partner she is there for him, hinting that she would become Batgirl soon.
Between Arkham Origins and Arkham Asylum IncidentEdit
After a few years, Barbara's career as Batgirl was short lived. At some point Barbara would have an almost fatal encounter with the Joker, he shot her though the spine that left her paralyzed from the waist down and was confined to a wheelchair. Not wanting to give up on life and crime-fighting, Barbara adopted the new identity of Oracle, computer expert and information broker.
Road to Arkham IncidentEdit
After foiling the Joker's latest scheme and transferring him to Arkham Asylum via Batmobile, Oracle contacted Batman, having heard of the events prior, stating that the Joker was his third 'big gun' in the last month, following Victor Zsasz and the Scarecrow.
Batman discussed his suspicions with her about the similarities and convenience surrounding the three captures before he arrived at Arkham.
Arkham Asylum Incident Edit
Shortly after Batman had arrived with the Joker at Arkham Asylum, the Joker was escorted by a team of armed and armored security guards to the Holding Cells, where he broke free. The Clown Prince of Crime killed a guard and a doctor in the area before freeing all the prisoners housed in the Holding Cells. While Batman fought them off, the Joker ran amok through the Intensive Treatment Facility, killing asylum guards in his path.
Batman followed him, leaving James Gordon, Barbara's father, inside a reception area guarded by Frank Boles, a decorated Arkham security guard. As he arrived at the Patient Pacification Chamber, Batman contacted Oracle via his communications system. He assured her that her father was safe. This proved to be wrong, however, as Frank Boles was secretly in the Joker's employ and he clubbed Gordon with a nightstick, kidnapping him and regrouping with the Joker's partner-in-crime, Harley Quinn.
Batman informed Barbara of this calamity, but she remained calm despite her fears. Batman contacted her again, telling her he was going to the office unit where Gordon had been to see if he could pick up a trail. He isolated his cowl's vision to detect traces of Boles' favorite tipple in the air and follow him. Batman contacted Oracle again after saving Henry Smith, an Arkham guard from a falling elevator cut by Harley Quinn, he told her that "Harley Quinn tried to slow me down. Dropped an elevator on me." in reply Barbara asked if it worked, to which Batman responded to with a chuckle:"Of course not."
Batman also found that the Joker's thugs had gotten control of some firearms and had shot many of the asylum's guards. She helped him use his cowl's vision to detect armed henchmen, which would now appear in red. The Riddler later used the same "primitive communications system" Batman used to contact Oracle to assign him the challenge of solving 240 challenges across Arkham Island.
Upon arriving in Arkham East, Batman contacted Oracle and asked her to shut down the Batmobile's countermeasure system when Harley Quinn and several escaped inmates thrashed the Batmobile with pieces of piping, since if she still was holding Gordon captive, he would get hurt as well. Oracle disabled the security system for Batman. She was then was called on by Batman again after he arrived in Arkham North, where he had found Commissioner Gordon's pipe at the scene and Barbara revealed that she had once given it to him as a birthday present and that he would never leave it. Batman used this piece of information to deduce that Gordon was leaving him a trail to follow.
He was correct, as Gordon had left clumps of tobacco in his wake for Batman to follow. Batman later tracked Gordon to the Medical Facility in Arkham West. Batman at one point was exposed to the Scarecrow's fear gas and began hallucinating. He found the commissioner's dead body slumped against the wall of an empty hallway outside the Morgue.
However, when the Dark Knight tried to contact Oracle to inform her of her father's death, Barbara's voice responded to Batman in his drugged state, disconnecting him. After recovering from the effects of the gas, Batman went back to where he'd seen Gordon's corpse, only to find it was really just another Arkham security guard Scarecrow had killed earlier. Oracle remained Batman's radio contact for the rest of the Joker's takeover. On one instance, he called her as he was going into Killer Croc's lair to retrieve an antidote to the Venom-based drug Titan.
She told him it sounded like a suicide mission. When asked about Croc, Batman responded that Croc was just an animal and needed the right bait. Batman eventually detonated explosives under the ground as Killer Croc lunged for him, dropping the villain into the Gotham River below. After the Joker's defeat, Barbara called her father up as the Gotham City Police Department retook control of Arkham Island.
He told her that doctors were treating the injured and that most inmates were back in custody. Gordon also informed his daughter that the Joker's men were recovering from the effects of the Titan drug the Joker had injected them with. Barbara asked how he was, and Gordon told her simply, "I'll survive." He promised to see her that night.
Arkham City IncidentEdit
Oracle's dialogue with Batman is slightly reduced in this game, the first half of the game up to Penguin's Boss Fight taken up by Alfred Pennyworth. When Batman reveals he has to find Ra's al Ghul, and in doing so find Talia, his daughter; Barbara tells him to not trust her.
Barbara gives him details of city council approving Hugo Strange's plan "Protocol 10", which is to "Destroy everyone in Arkham City", Strange's TYGER guards and attack helicopters were to carry it out. She next speaks to Batman during Protocol 10, telling Bruce that he's doing the right thing by saving everyone in Arkham City rather than going after Talia (who had been captured by the Joker), but Batman tells her not to lose the signal on the tracking device Talia had taken.
Earlier. If Catwoman decides to leave Arkham City with her stolen goods and not save Batman during Protocol 10, Oracle makes a plea over the radio for help. She reveals everyone died, including her father and Bruce, and that Joker finally won. Then she makes one final plea for anyone who hears the call to send help.
Harley Quinn's RevengeEdit
2 weeks later since Arkham City was shut down, she is Robin's contact, helping him find Batman since he's been gone for 2 days before trying to save the GCPD officers from Harley Quinn. Barbara is worried about Batman since he doesn't want to talk about what happen that night after Talia's loss and Joker's death since the incident, Robin replies that they'll help him once they find him, which is all they can do.
Arkham Knight Incident Edit
One year after the events of Arkham City, Oracle returns to help her father and the Dark Knight to stop Scarecrow's plan to destroy Gotham in the middle of the Halloween night for their final battle together.
Real Name: Barbara Gordon
- Eidetic memory - almost total recall of everything she sees and reads
- Extensive headquarters in Gotham City's Clock Tower, filled with information archives
- High level hacking and computer skills
- Trained in fighting by Batman
- "He's out there catching the criminals that you let walk free!"
- "The system is broken!"
- "That's it! We did it! Well - you did most of it, but I helped, right? I think we made a pretty good team. So... If you're ever, like, I don't know... looking for some kind of partner... I'm here for ya! Anyway - I'll let you get back to kicking ass and keeping us safe! And you'll see - one day my father's gonna figure out just how cool I already know you are!"
- "A Batcave? On Arkham Island? How'd you managed to keep this a secret?"
- "So, do you think Dr. Young's been experimenting with Venom, the same chemical that turns Bane into that animal?"
- "There's nothing on record Bruce, are you sure about this? It sounds like a suicide mission."
- "Dad! Thank God. I was so worried!"
- "He's got what!? How did he get Titan off Arkham Island? What's going on here your suits bio readings are spiking."
- "You sound just like him."
- "Bruce, I found Penguin. He's got a weapons cache on the North end of Niagami Island. The area's heavily protected by the Arkham Knight's drone forces. Be careful."
- "Thermal energies show that Arkham Knight's tanks are unmanned and controlled remotely. You're clear to engage."
- Oracle has never been seen physically in either of the games, only in still photos in her bio. But in Arkham Origins, she makes her first physical appearance and also again in Arkham Knight.
- Oracle has a good friendship with Batman, sometimes sharing a warm joke with him as he travels through Arkham Asylum, which is often replied to with good humor.
- Oracle was supposedly going to be kidnapped by Hugo Strange's TYGER guards (which was why Alfred would be Bruce's contact) but this may have just been speculation by the gamers prior to Arkham City's release.
- Oracle's prediction of a "Giant Joker Robot" in Arkham Asylum was proven correct, as in Harley Quinn's Revenge, Harley had a shrine made to Joker, complete with a Giant Joker Robot (which had explosives set inside to blow the warehouse "sky high!").
- In Arkham Origins, Barbara states that she's fifteen years old, possibly making her twenty in Arkham Asylum, twenty-one in Arkham City, and twenty-two in Arkham Knight.
- In Arkham Knight, she looks much like her drawing in Arkham Asylum; the hair colour, the glasses, and the blue clothing.