This page includes spoiler details from the latest game in the series, Batman: Arkham Knight. Please proceed at your own risk.
|Base of Operations||Gotham City, Arkham City|
|Appeared In||Batman: Arkham Asylum|
Batman: Arkham City
Batman: Arkham Origins
Batman: Arkham Knight
|Voice Actor||Mark Hamill (Arkham Asylum, Arkham City and Arkham Knight)
Troy Baker (Arkham Origins, Arkham Origins Blackgate and Assault on Arkham)
|First Appearance||Batman: #1 (Spring 1940)|
He served as the main antagonist in Arkham Origins and Arkham Asylum, one of the main antagonists in Arkham City, one of the secondary antagonists in Arkham Knight, and is arguably the main antagonist of the Arkham franchise overall.
The Joker's origins were a mystery, barring that Batman was somehow involved. He revealed a possible story to Dr. Harleen Quinzel in Arkham Origins and to Professor Hugo Strange in Arkham City: once upon a time, he was a failed stand-up comedian who was working nights at Ace Chemicals in a feeble attempt to support his sickly wife and their unborn child. They died just before the night that he helped a gang of thieves in the employment of the Falcone Crime Family break into the Ace Chemicals plant, and was disguised as the infamous Red Hood, an alias the gang always gave to the inside-man so that he would take the fall.
Strange refuted this story, however, claimed the Joker had probably fabricated it to avoid taking responsibility for whatever his actual actions had been, and commented that the clown had told at least ten different origin stories during his career. Joker admitted that even he didn't remember what happened, and that the various stories were inspired by a friend who once told him: "if you're gonna have an origin story, it may as well be multiple choice." It was entirely possible that this too was a lie.
Other versions of the story, told to Dr. Penelope Young, included being born in a small fishing village with thwarted aspirations of joining the circus and being the son of a police officer who was slain by the mob. The Red Hood persona, the Ace Chemical break in, and Batman's presence seemed to be the only consistent events in each retelling; the details of whether Batman threw the Red Hood into the vat, failed to prevent him from falling in, or if the criminal had leapt in to escape justice seemed to depend on the Joker's mood at the time.
Even the Joker's own insanity may have been called into question, as this had never impeded his intelligence, ruthlessness, and ambition or prevented him from mastering chemistry to produce his various toxins and gases. He may not have actually been insane, just simply the purest kind of human evil.
Incident Reports Edit
Before Arkham Origins IncidentEdit
Shortly after his transformation, the Joker began scheming. Seeking to carve a name for himself in the Gotham criminal underworld, the Joker began to target Roman Sionis, also known as Black Mask, as the crime lord's trademark mask would make for the perfect disguise, and his steel mill, which was used as a front to manufacture drugs, came with all the resources needed to cook up deadly toxins and explosives. He may also have chosen Black Mask because of Sionis Steel's reputation for shady theme park construction. At some point, Joker even acquired such a site by poisoning a real estate agent with a palm pin when they shook hands on the deal.
Joker started his plans by stealing chemicals from Sionis' mill to manufacture explosives, and attracted enough of the crime lord's attention to have him followed. Joker raised the stakes by stalking (one of) Roman's girlfriend(s), Tiffany Ambrose. Roman placed a spooked Tiffany in his safe house at Lacey Towers. Unfortunately for Black Mask and his lover, the Joker was waiting when Tiffany returned from grocery shopping. Just as Tiffany messaged Roman about the identity of her stalker, whom he dismissed as "No one important", and begged him to come over, the Joker violently smashed her head into a counter and tied her to a chandelier.
Ever paranoid, Black Mask had a body double enter the safe house as a diversion while he snuck in via the adjacent balcony. The Joker, waiting at a table, casually shot the double through the heart on sight. The real Black Mask then rushed from behind and tackled the Joker straight through his props, but the Joker rallied, overpowered Black Mask, and tied him up. The Joker then used a Molotov cocktail to eliminate evidence, as well as torture Black Mask by giving him a choice: watch Tiffany burn to death or shoot her to put her out of her misery. Black Mask chose the latter, and the Joker dragged the struggling crime lord out with him.
The Joker kept Sionis alive to access the bio-metric locks of the Gotham Merchant's Bank, gave up inside information on his gang to improve Joker's disguise, and take the fall if Joker didn't feel like killing him first. The next several days were spent holding the former Black Mask captive and torturing him to reveal every detail about himself. Using these details to his advantage, Joker disguised himself as the crime lord, and took complete control of his gang, resources and power. Any slip-ups and out of character activity were put down to Black Mask sampling his own product.
Soon Joker had killed or turned gang members as he saw fit, and had the survivors place explosives in the sewers directly beneath significant skyscrapers. Then there was the matter of Batman. When not focusing on his other plans, "Black Mask" contacted eight of the world's deadliest assassins to come to Gotham and compete for a $50 million bounty that he placed on the vigilante's head. One of these assassination attempts was carried out by Deathstroke, using some of Black mask's men to lure Batman to the docks so the assassin can duel him. However, thanks to some interference from one of the other assassins, Deadshot (who didn't want Deathstroke to take his bounty), Batman escaped into the night. Joker (while still disguised as the crime lord) then surveyed the damage and informed Deathstroke when confronting him on the newfound knowledge that he had hired at least one other assassin besides himself that he had his chance and the night is still young. He then proceeded to brutally murder a severely injured henchman from the earlier trap (as it involved a bomb detonating) by whacking him with a piece of rubble lined with nails.
As the big night neared, "Black Mask" had his men abduct Warden Joseph from Blackgate Prison and brought to his hideout. There, he casually burnt out one of the warden's eyes and threatened to slaughter his entire family if security wasn't lowered on the night that the recently captured Calendar Man was to be executed.
Christmas EveEditOn Christmas Eve, the Joker made his move. As the assassins arrived in Gotham, "Black Mask" staged an all out attack on Blackgate Penitentiary with dozens of his men and Killer Croc, who was one of his assassins. Murdering dozens of guards and releasing just as many inmates, "Black Mask" took Commissioner Loeb hostage, and announced that there would be a "clean slate" and some big changes for Gotham tonight. He had Croc drag Loeb off while he and his crew released Calendar Man from the execution chamber.
Joker proceeded to wipe the slate, and left Loeb to be gassed to death in Calendar Man's place. While he made his way to the roof, Joker spotted one of the Penguin's drones following them and ordered Croc to smash it and retrieve its memory card so he could see just how much the Penguin had managed to learn. To his irritation, Croc only managed the former. As "Black Mask" made his exit via helicopter, Croc got his chance to make up for it when he caught Batman's scent, and stayed behind to duel the vigilante and claim the bounty.
Batman subdued Croc, escaped the police in his Batwing, and left the cannibal killer to them. To slow the vigilante down, "Black Mask" turned to the GCPD, and hired Edward Nigma, the head of the GCPD's Cyber Crime Division and secret master hacker, to broadcast a jamming signal to interfere with the Batwing and brought corrupt SWAT leader Howard Branden in on the bounty. Both were completely unaware of the explosives beneath their headquarters.
As the night wore on, Batman defeated the assassins Deathstroke and Electrocutioner, learned about the Lacey Towers affair from the Penguin, broke into the GCPD to hack into the National Criminal Database, discovered the bombs under Gotham, and deduced that the Joker was using Sionis to break into the Gotham Merchant's Bank. "Black Mask" was busy too, ordering his men to cause as much chaos as possible, taking over the Gotham Royal Hotel to convert the ballroom into a death trap by using materials from his theme park, and stealing an ambulance so he could bust into the Merchant's Bank with Sionis at the stroke of midnight and begin his new reign at the very start of Christmas Day.
Batman tried to negotiate the release of the bank manager since the Joker "had" him. The Joker was unimpressed with the offer, and instead fired several bullets into the vigilante's armor before he tossed him the bank manager. He fled the scene with Sionis and several million dollars in the back of his ambulance, and detonated bombs that were rigged in the vault. Though Batman had managed to escape the trap, the bank manager was still dead, and was one of the first victims of Joker Toxin. While skeptical that even Batman could live through the explosion, Joker still sent in a handful of his men to sweep the building. Batman subdued all of them, and left one for interrogation.
Amazed that Batman could survive both his gunshot wounds and the explosion, Joker nevertheless remained in cheerful spirits as he embarked on the next phase of his plan. While the vigilante investigated Sionis's steel mill, freeing the real Black Mask, and confronting Copperhead, the Joker headed for the Gotham Royal Hotel to call a meeting with the remaining assassins. Still disguised as Black Mask, Joker called in Branden and SWAT to keep the police and the media away from the scene. After he tracked down the electronic signal from the Electrocutioner's Shock Gloves, Batman infiltrated the hotel, and dispensed Joker's men just in time to hack into the security feed and watch the meeting.
Disguised as Black Mask, the Joker had commandeered the hotel's penthouse and caught the assassins up on the night's events, and his displeasure. The night was almost over and "Bat Deaths" were "coming in far below projections". The Electrocutioner was more engrossed in his phone, and ignored Joker's lecture. Displeased with the thug's attitude, Joker dispensed with the Black Mask disguise altogether, and, after a little fun at the Electrocutioner's expense, kicked the swivel chair that he was sitting in out a window, and sent him plummeting to his death. An example made, the remaining assassins headed out into the night to find Batman except for Bane, who knew that he would be coming for the Joker. This macho posturing amused the Joker, who settled in to wait. He didn't have to wait long.Batman acquired the Electrocutioner's Shock Gloves and used them to manipulate the hotel's electronics and dispatched the Joker and Bane's forces, rescued the hotel employees, and navigated through Joker's makeshift carnival attractions. All this greatly disturbed Batman as he turned each corner to find a new level of the Joker's madness, which included the converted ballroom. The Joker stayed in touch with Batman through rigged TV sets and the hotel's P.A. system the entire time, mocking the vigilante, and claiming that he'd done more to eliminate crime in two days than Batman had in two years. Despite the apparently fool-proof measure of not building an exit into the ballroom trap, Batman was able to fashion one with his Remote Claw and resumed his progress through the hotel. An annoyed Joker temporarily ended their one-sided conversation, so he could go "shoot the architect". When Batman finally arrived at the penthouse, Bane went to work; and brutally pulled the vigilante down through the elevator roof and hurled him through the penthouse doors to Joker's lounging feet. The Joker's one caveat before Bane finished the job was time to speak to his target; he had his hand on the detonator to the explosives under the Royal if the giant didn't keep his word. Bane gave him one minute. After regaling Batman with an anecdote about his childhood tradition of opening one present each on Christmas Eve, the The Joker detonated a nearby building. Furious, Batman grabbed him, and demanded to know how many lives he'd just taken. Joker gleefully revealed that the building was merely a construction site that was blocking his view. Batman slammed his enemy into the adjacent table, overturning several unused detonators. Grabbing one, Joker revealed that it wasn't as harmless as the last. Pushed to his limit, Batman destroyed the detonator and began to beat the Joker. The clown kept laughing, right up until Bane returned. After Bane told Batman about finding peace in his death, Bane threw him through the window and into the Library beneath the Penthouse. Batman held his own until Bane used his Venom induced strength to toss him through another window and onto the snowy penthouse balcony. The Joker had a ring side seat to the battle, and offered colorful commentary the entire time. However, his fun was interrupted by the arrival of police choppers. Someone had tipped off a killjoy called Gordon about the Royal, and the police were now closing in for real. Bane decided to leave. This didn't sit well with the Joker who opened fire on Bane's own escape chopper with a machine gun. That didn't sit well with Bane, who returned fire with a bazooka. The Joker remained completely unphased by this, and even spread his arms wide as if welcoming an end to his insanity. Bane's missile missed the clown himself, but exploded right behind him, the force of which hurled him off the balcony. Batman dove after the Joker, and caught him in mid-air. The Joker attempted to punch the vigilante as he was grabbed. Batman simply subdued him with a headbutt. Even with falling debris knocking it loose, Batman's grapnel was able to slow their fall enough that they survived by crashing through the hotel lobby's glass dome. They were instantly surrounded by two of Joker's surviving men, who had their guns trained on Batman. To show the vigilante just how ''insane'' saving his life was, the Joker shot both men, and cited that they had done unspeakable things and deserved death just like he did, before he pointed his gun on himself. Batman disarmed and subdued him just as Branden and his SWAT team burst in, and were still intent on collecting the bounty. Batman escaped in the Batwing, and left the Joker in Gordon and Harvey Bullock's custody. Bullock manhandled the Joker into the back of a squad car, and assumed the Bat and the clown were partners to Joker's consternation.
Joker was sent to Blackgate Prison, and underwent a quick psychological examination by a psych intern with a pretty name. Sensing that she was sympathetic, the Joker feigned an interest in her. In reality, he had retreated into a memory during which he recounted all the factors in his creation--the failed stand-up act, the ACE Chemicals break in, that first confrontation with a seemingly monstrous Batman, and bled together with the night's events, specifically with Batman saving him from that fatal fall. He now felt a connection to the hero and believed that it was fate for them to meet, two byproducts of one bad day. Harleen thought that he was talking about her.
While Batman hunted down Bane and Firefly, the Joker (possibly with Dr. Quinzel's help) instigated another riot at Blackgate, and took complete control of the facility. The only inmate that he didn't release, was Deathstroke, since a professional killer probably couldn't see the funny side to being a pawn in a game in order to take control of Gotham. After he responded to the riot, Batman fought his way through the prison to the Panopticon and found Joker holding Warden Joseph hostage with Bane at his side.
The Joker laid out his ultimatum: Batman was forced to fight Bane to the death as Joker strapped himself, with a hostage Jim Gordon, to an electric chair that would automatically kill him unless a heart beat monitor attached to the chair registered Bane's death. With seemingly no alternative, Batman unleashed the full capacity of his Shock Gloves on Bane. Satisfied that he'd forced his nemesis to break his one rule, the Joker left, and intended to detonate the bombs that were still placed around the city. He took a brief pause to shoot Warden Joseph for calling him a freak, but Gordon took the shot with his bulletproof vest.
''Punch drunk, with his nemesis throttling him, the Joker looked into the eyes of the monster that had made him what he was. And laughed.'' Then everything went black.
The Joker came to strapped to a gurney and was wheeled back to his cell. Batman overcame all odds and chose to let him live yet again, which Joker found hysterical. He chose to see the funny side of the whole affair. Joker had a reason to be and the chance to top himself. This, he declared, was going to be ''FUN. ''
Later that evening, political activist Quincy Sharp made an appearance on the Jack Ryder Show to announce his intentions to reopen Gotham's infamous Arkham Asylum in an effort to create a more secure facility to rehabilitate and secure the most dangerous criminals. In reality, this was all a stunt for his mayoral campaign, and the plans of more sinister forces. Though he couldn't have known it, the Joker, through his actions and his very existence, had set in motion a chain of events that would push both Batman and himself to their limits.
Arkham Origins Blackgate IncidentEdit
Three months after his big debut, the Joker was at it again. A riot allowed him and fellow bosses Black Mask and Penguin to each take over a section of Blackgate. Using a series of tunnels that connected to a panic hatch in the Warden's Office, Joker captured Warden Joseph again. He took control of the Administration Building and had his men convert it into a funhouse themed fortress. He also hired Deadshot again to once more to act as an enforcer, and was unaware that the sniper was secretly tripling his earnings by cutting the same deal with his rivals.
When Batman arrived at the Administration Building, and attempted to locate an underground supply tunnel that would let him access Penguin's turf in the Cell Blocks, he found the Joker waiting for him. Joker admitted that he hadn't finished his alterations to the building yet, but Batman was more interested in threatening him for the Arkham Wing's Cryptographic Sequencer codes. Joker brushed off the vigilante's bravado by revealing Warden Joseph was in the conference room,and tied up with explosives. Batman tried to rush up the staircase that Joker was standing on top of, only to be bowled over by the explosives beneath it. Joker left the semi-conscious Dark Knight to focus on his alterations to the Warden's Office. He also shut off the ventilation to the Arkham Wing, and endangered the hostages held there, or so someone would have Batman believe.
Batman caught up with the Joker exiting via the elevator just as he flooded the corridor with a gas version of the toxin that he'd used on the Gotham Merchant's Bank Manager on Christmas Eve. Batman escaped via the ventilation system, made his way to the Library and freed the hostages Joker was storing there. In retaliation, Joker filled the room with gas again, but Batman escaped outside. The vigilante dealt with Deadshot before making his way back inside and to the conference room, where he found Warden Joseph tied to explosives Joker had rigged to security junction boxes. After disabling the security controls to short out the boxes, Batman headed into the maintenance tunnels to find a way into the room, and came face-to-face with Joker's puzzles. Batman solved them, navigated the vent system, entered the room through a floor grate, and freed Joseph. Batman headed into the sewers to gain access to the office, but was delayed by other situations.
This gave Joker the time to finish what he'd been cooking up in the Warden's Office: altered riot control gas that would allow him to control the minds of the inmates in small doses. Large doses would turn those brains to "succotash". Batman emerged from the bookcase panic hatch to confront the Joker, who had rigged the gas canisters to the prison's major air units for timed release. Joker taunted Batman with the Sequencer Codes, the only thing that would enable the office computer to shut off the countdown. Armed with a stun baton and a revolver, the Joker fought Batman, who defeated him with well-timed uses of the Line Launcher even after Joker flooded the office with some of the gas. Joker was knocked unconscious, which allowed Batman to retrieve the codes from his jacket and shut down the countdown. But Joker did manage to have the last laugh, and provided Catwoman with bombs sometime during the night, which allowed her to distract Batman while she escaped with Bane.
Note: Joker's involvement in Catwoman's escape attempt and the following depended on which boss Batman defeated last.
As two guards approached a seemingly unconscious Joker to collect him, the clown suddenly fired two hidden darts into their necks, which killed them both. Disguised in one of their uniforms, he easily bypassed the security forces and escaped into Gotham to plan his next performance.
Between Arkham Origins and Arkham AsylumEdit
Once recaptured, Joker was transferred to a newly re-opened Arkham Asylum. Despite the city's best efforts, he would go on to continually escape, and caused crime and chaos until Batman would stop him; a twisted running gag at Gotham's expense. He defied any kind of therapy or diagnosis. His doctors were unable to decipher what kind of insanity he was even afflicted with. To add insult to injury, the Clown Prince of Crime came to view the Asylum as a sort of home. He was aware of being observed obsessively by one of the doctors while in his cell, and out of it put on a show, and spontaneously brutalized fellow inmates and asylum staff just to keep everyone on their toes.
Harley Quinn Edit
Perhaps the Joker's most insidious act, was his seduction of his therapist, Dr. Harleen Quinzel. The psych intern, then a full fledged psychologist, transferred from Blackgate to Arkham and intended to study Gotham's growing number of super criminals and become a pioneer in her field. She was eager to gain insight into the mind of the self style Clown Prince of Crime in order to publish a book. Neither of them acknowledged the Blackgate Incident, but Joker strung her along as easily as he had then. Over the preceding months, he shared insights and secrets with her, many of which he most likely made up, and had her believing that he was the love of her life. Months later, Quinzel smuggled in explosives to break the Joker out and rechristened herself with his pet name "Harley Quinn" and became Gotham's number one power couple. Joker had just been looking for a pawn to set him free, and now had a would-be girlfriend cramping his style. He treated her like any other member of his gang: physically and verbally abusing her even when she did carry out his orders.
Holding Grudges Edit
Soon after his arrival in Gotham City, the Penguin decided to make an impression on the underworld elite with a gala opening for his nightclub, the Iceberg Lounge. He included the notorious Joker, whose appearance would surely impress the crowd. When the Joker arrived, with Harley Quinn on his arm and a dainty flower in his lapel, the Penguin was thrilled. He was hosting the sinister soiree of the century - until a clumsy waitress spilled a drink on the Joker. The laughing Joker aimed his flower and an acid spray melted the girl's face. As alarmed patrons fled the scene, a cold, dark rage at the Joker curled inside the Penguin. The Joker eagerly returned to the Iceberg Lounge a few weeks later, but was insulted to find his name was not on the guest list. Willing to overlook this obvious mistake, he shot the doorman on his way in, kicked his feet up at a table, and ordered a glass of warm milk. He was pleased when alongside the milk was a summons to the club's VIP Section. Led to a back room--past a tank where Tiny the Shark circled--the Joker happily greeted the Penguin, who promptly pushed him out of a door onto the street. The Penguin squawked out that the club had a new "no clowns" policy before he slammed the door.
The Abromovici Twins Edit
The Joker heard tales of conjoined Abramovici twins, now widely known as Mr. Hammer and Sickle, and their reputation for brutality, and he wanted them for himself. Sending Harley on a desperate mission to retrieve them, she passed on the message to the circus owner that her puddin' would pay big for the twins. Of course, the owner refused to sell his headlining act. He promptly vanished, only to be found three months later with a new smile carved onto his face. Later, during Arkham City, the brothers would be surgically separated then and had a falling out, with Sickle defecting to the Penguin.
The Joker's Diary Edit
At some point before the events of Arkham Asylum, Joker hatched a scheme based around the 4th of July. While stuck in an existential rut, he encountered a criminal who claimed that he could control the weather. Joker learned this criminal's techniques, and, months later, set his scheme in motion by causing a power outage. This encouraged Gothamites to go outside. Batman investigated the power outage, overpowered the Joker, and broke his nose.
Even as he was dragged to Arkham Asylum, his plan was unveiling. His signature toxin had been released in a powder form by fireworks. Citizens who came into contact with it died. He was sedated by Batman before arriving at Arkham. Before Batman could warn them, staff had touched him, and the toxin on his skin and clothes, killed them. He was taken to a special cell without clothes and away from the other inmates, the one that was frequently used by Amadeus Arkham. During his time there, he began to write a book, which was sarcastically suggested by Batman, that contained the names of all the people that he had ever killed.
Before A Matter Of Family Incident Edit
The Joker resurfaced sometime later, and was soon incarcerated at Arkham again. In an interview overseen by Warden Sharp, he was introduced to the up and coming, Dr. Penelope Young, who saw right through his various origin stories. Joker feigned forming a rapport with her, but became genuinely interested in Young's 'Project Titan' research, a medical process that was based on Young's theory that improving a patient's physical condition would also improve their mental recovery.
At some point, Joker (using his alias as Jack White) was introduced by Harley (under her real identity as Dr. Harleen Quinzel) to one of her old friends, Edward Burke. Having influenced Burke to think about building an amusement park for his daughter, Katie, Joker also gave him several ideas on how to build one. Eventually, Burke became the owner of Seagate Amusement Park. However, Katie was diagnosed with an uncurable disease, which left Burke devastated.
Months later, Dr. Young was pleasantly surprised to find that an anonymous benefactor, 'Mr. White', had donated a generous grant for her research. Katie Burke was used as the first test subject for Project Titan, though the project was a failure, as Katie's condition got worse, and she suffered a painful death. Feeling distraught over losing Katie, Edward Burke decided to sign the amusement park over to Jack White, and committed suicide by using pills that were given to him by White (not knowing that it contained Joker Toxin).
Soon after, Bane was captured and quietly brought to Arkham Asylum so that Young could study him and the effects of Venom on the human body to design a more powerful variant of the formula. When discussing the Titan Project in public, Bane's involvement was kept secret, and he was referred to only as "Patient X". Officially, Bane was listed as an escapee from Blackgate Penitentiary. Unfortunately, Young's initial Titan results were simply a more powerful form of Venom, which would temporarily increase the subject's muscle mass, but actually impaired their mental processes to the point of savagery. Young remained optimistic about her work until her next session with the Joker.
The Joker immediately dispensed with any civility, demanded to know Titan's status, and gave away his knowledge of the project. A horrified Young realized that Joker had been her benefactor the entire time and was more than satisfied with the Titan Formula as it was. He'd seen the manpower potential of her work instantly and had spent months making sure that she could provide him with the means to create an army of monsters. Young refused, but didn't go public with the revelation to save face. She tried everything from returning the donations to actually putting a block on her account. Joker simply responded with multiple threatening e-mails, then escaped the Asylum.
If Dr. Young wouldn't give him his army, he'd make it himself.
A Matter of Family IncidentEdit
Sometime after, Joker and Harley Quinn kidnapped Commissioner Gordon. Batgirl and Robin went to rescue him after the Joker threatened to kill Gordon if Batman arrived. He also took hostages and planted bombs around the oil rig which Batgirl and Robin had to save and disarm respectively. Eventually, Batgirl and Robin confronted Joker and Harley near the top of the oil rig. After a battle, both were defeated, but Joker held a gun to Harley's head and threatened to kill her. He then jumped off the oil rig and opened a parachute as he descended. Robin stated they would track him down later as Harley was captured by the G.C.P.D.
Some time later, Joker attempted to attack Gordon again, by going after Barbara (without knowing of her crimefighting life). He arrived at Gordon's house, and shot Barbara in her spine, which caused her to be paralyzed from the waist down, and unknowingly ended her career as Batgirl. The joke was on him though, as Barbara refused to let this tragedy define her and became Oracle, an invaluable hacking and information source for Batman's detective work.
Before Assault on Arkham Incident Edit
At some point while incarcerated in Arkham Asylum, Joker was visited in his cell in the dead of night by Asylum Warden, Quincy Sharp, who bore a knife. Before things could escalate any further, Sharp seemed to freeze up with sudden terror. Never one to miss an opportunity, Joker procured the Warden's knife, had a little fun at his expense, and slowly sliced his forehead. He left no visible scarring and never told anyone, most likely because the joke of a lunatic running the Asylum was too rich to spoil. However, the only record of this could be found in Sharp's Spirit of Arkham Diaries, and it's possible he may have hallucinated the incident.
Joker believed himself to be the leading man in Batman's life, and was constantly trying to out do his previous atrocities. He came close to destroying Gotham several times, almost always outsmarted and certainly always out-muscled by the Dark Knight. While he saw the importance of a good supporting cast, he never developed strong ties with the rest of Arkham's super criminals, and preferred to keep the spotlight all to himself. He didn't even approve of Harley's friendship with Poison Ivy. He didn't seem to like the idea of Batman sharing the stage either and, in one of the most heartbreaking moments of the Dark Knight's life, killed Robin (or one of them at least). The Boy Wonder he killed got better.
Assault on Arkham Incident EditDuring one crime spree, the Joker kicked Harley out of their getaway car, and left her to face the music while he focused on his schemes. Joker was eventually returned to Arkham, but not before he stole a 'dirty bomb' and hid it inside Harley's mallet.
When the Suicide Squad entered Arkham Asylum, Harley Quinn and Deadshot confronted Joker in the Penitentiary's Extreme Incarceration (Located near the cell where Mr. Freeze was locked up). Immediately, Joker began by talking to Harley, laughed, and commented about how he pushed her out of a moving vehicle in the recent past. In a rage, Harley attempted to kill Joker by shooting at him. The glass being bullet-proof, she instead shot through one of the air holes in the cell until she ran out of bullets, and almost killed Joker. Harley told him that they were through, and she had moved on to a "new guy". This caused him to immediately frown and growl in response. She pointed out Deadshot who was dressed as a cop and taunted Joker again, and asked him if he was jealous, a claim the Joker poorly denied.
Later, Joker reflected on Harley and Deadshot being together. He couldn't believe that she had moved on after everything he did for her. He began to rant and pace around the room and said he'd make more of her, make them wear her skin, which caused him to fantasize about how perfect and creamy her skin was. He stopped upon seeing a gap in the wall where Harley was shooting at, in which he gleefully opened the wall to activate the door. After getting dressed, he stumbled upon Black Spider who, unknown to him, was dressed as Batman. He then pointed his gun at his head, but before he could kill him, Spider's head exploded. Momentarily stunned and confused, the Joker looked at his weapon and commented that it was the "best gun ever." Joker picked up the head to discover it wasn't Batman. He overheard the Suicide Squad being zapped on the communicator in Spider's ear, and said that he recognized that sound as it was "the sound of someone flossing their brain."
Joker immediately realized where they are, made his appearance, began shooting, and threw exploding marbles. Joker then confronted the Suicide Squad, or rather Deadshot, at which point Harley explained she was just using them to help him escape; it was a lie. The two then fled, but not before Joker attempted to kill Deadshot for "touching his stuff". Though Deadshot claimed Joker's gun had no more bullets, Joker claimed that he was wrong, but fired the gun anyway, and after he proved that he was right, Deadshot punched him in the face, but he and Harley escaped through the laundry chute. He then demanded the mallet, in which he had hidden his dirty bomb. He then released all of the inmates in Arkham in an attempt to stop Batman. During the riot, Deadshot escaped Arkham via a police helicopter, which unbeknownst to him, Joker and Harley were also on board. Joker and Deadshot fought intensely and the helicopter crashed into a building, which threw everyone out. The two continued fighting, and Joker managed to severely injure Deadshot with his knives. Deadshot then threw Joker into the helicopter, which promptly fell out of the building and exploded, with Joker laughing all the way down while pinned to the bulkhead with his own knives. It was confirmed that Joker's body was not found at the site, which hinted that he was still alive.
Road to Arkham IncidentEditTwo months later, the Joker and his goons raided Gotham City Hall, claimed that the city had "a paucity of parking spots designated for clown cars," took the Mayor hostage, tied him up, and strapped a bomb to his chest. As the Joker taunted the Mayor, he expressed annoyance that Batman hadn't shown up who ironically attacked moments later. Joker tried to escape via a large parachute, but was stopped by Batman, who proceeded to personally escort him to Arkham Asylum in the Batmobile. In addition as a direct result of Joker's assault, the Mayor declared that he was resigning from his position, and had enough of the city. Batman, however, sensed that the Joker went down too easily.
The Joker's PartyEdit
Batman attempted to track down Gordon anyway, by detecting the alcohol that Boles left in the air. The Joker soon caught onto the Batman's attempt, and as a result, had Boles killed, and no longer needed him. The Joker took control of Arkham's intercom system, and told his goons to destroy the Batmobile as he took over the West side of Arkham Island.
Joker's next target was the Medical Facility where he ordered his goons to round up all the doctors in the area, most importantly Penelope Young, from whom he needed to retrieve the Titan formula . To the Joker's annoyance, Batman defeated his goons and rescued the captive doctors. The Joker drew up a "party list" which contained the individuals who would help take care of Batman. He enlisted the help of Scarecrow, who proceeded to attack Batman in the Morgue. After escaping Scarecrow's Fear Toxin hallucination, Batman made his way to Gordon, who was conveniently placed near Bane's holding cell.After Batman rescued Gordon from Harley, the Joker pumped a large amount of Titan into Bane, and caused a fight with him and Batman. Joker was disappointed with Bane's inability to kill Batman, so he ordered his goons to assist him, though Batman defeated them all. The Joker's next order of business was to search the Arkham Mansion for Dr. Young's formula, and Dr. Young herself, who had gone looking for the formula. After finding Zsasz in the Botanical Gardens, the Joker enlisted his help to deal with Dr. Young. Zsasz held Young hostage in Warden Sharp's office and threatened to kill her if he saw Batman approach. Joker told Zsasz to just kill her, as she was useless to him since he had already gotten both Venom and Titan. Batman incapacitated Zsasz and rescued the doctor, though an explosion set by Joker in the Warden's safe killed Young anyway. Harley then entered and had her thugs prepare Batman for the "party". He defeated them all, followed Harley, and rescued Sharp by tracking his DNA. Harley was shown releasing Poison Ivy from her cell, despite Ivy not being on the 'party list', much to Joker's apparent pleasure. He then unleashed the more violent, insane inmates all over the island.
Batman went after Harley, who sent her thugs after Batman again, though he managed to defeat them all. Harley's failure prompted Joker to remove her from the "party list", and Batman defeated and locked her up, and used her DNA traces from around the island to track Joker to the gardens, where the villain unsuccessfully tried to slow Batman down after killing an Arkham guard, named Thomas Armbruster.
Joker demonstrated the successful Titan strain he had managed to create by injecting two of his thugs with a dart gun filled with Titan and had them attack Batman before he escaped via the elevator. Batman defeated the monsters and pursued Joker, who revealed over the intercom that he had teamed up with Poison Ivy and injected her with Titan, which caused her to become far more powerful and took control of the island surface with her evolved plants. Batman defeated Scarecrow and Killer Croc down in the sewers and successfully harvested the spores that were needed to make an antidote for the Titan injection in Croc's Lair. Batman then went down further into the sewers and found that Joker was trying to pump Titan pollutants into the Gotham River, and told his men to stop Batman from preventing this in a threatening, and serious manner. After Batman shut off the pumps, Joker sent down a Titan monster as a token of his displeasure.
Batman defeated the monster and escaped the sewers. Driven by more power-hunger, Ivy betrayed Joker and swore to go after him once Batman was killed. Joker assured her that he would be prepared for her with an army of Titan monsters, and said the she could "bring the wine" and he would "make the salad". Batman managed to defeat Ivy in the gardens. With all of the enemies on Joker's 'party list' defeated, Joker had his men set off fireworks to direct Batman, the "guest of honor", to the "party" at the Visitor Center by the Penitentiary. Rather than fight Batman, upon his arrival and confirmation of being on the 'guest list', the goons acted friendly, cheered him on, and allowed him safe passage.Batman found a bomb planted by Joker in the Visitor Center and upon its explosion, discovered the Joker's lair: a throne room atop various plastic toys from which he had been broadcasting to the island. Joker was holding Scarface the puppet and taking out his frustration on him by having a fictional argument before he threw him away. Joker then berated Batman for ruining everything by "turning Bane into roadkill, feeding Scarecrow to Croc, 'slapping around' Harley Quinn (which was his favorite hobby), and destroying his precious Venom plants." The Joker then dispatched two Titan fueled security guards at Batman, who defeated them both.
Joker then revealed that he had recaptured Gordon before he could escape back to Gotham. Firing a Titan-tipped dart at Gordon, Joker was overjoyed when Batman took the shot himself. However, he was angered when Batman resisted and fought off Joker's attempts to make him give in. Enraged that Batman would never allow him this final triumph, Joker shot himself with one of his Titan darts, and claimed he had little more to live for. He quickly awoke and mutated into the most horrific Titan monster of all (possibly being his backup plan the whole time), while still retaining his intellectual faculties. He then directed the circling Gotham News Helicopters and Jack Ryder to the rooftops of Arkham so that they could watch his final fight with Batman. After he strapped Gordon to an electric chair above a makeshift fighting arena (and made him the "referee"), Titan-Joker goaded Batman to give into his injection, as it was the only way they could be on even fighting terms. Batman refused, and used the only antidote injection on himself, which Titan-Joker found hysterical. The two, with assistance from Titan-Joker's henchmen, then fought a brutal battle, with Batman knocking Titan-Joker into the electrical generator that was used to torture Gordon.Titan-Joker got up from the attack and said that he could take anything Batman threw at him, and asked if the Dark Knight was ready for the next round. Spraying Explosive Gel onto his glove, Batman declared that he would never let him win and would always be prepared for his tactics. Enraged, Titan-Joker prepared to kill his relentless nemesis as Batman charged him. The gel on Batman's fist then detonated as he struck his opponent, and finally incapacitated the most dangerous Titan subject of them all. Following the Joker's defeat, the GCPD then retook control of Arkham Island, recaptured the escaped inmates, and watched over the Titan-powered henchmen as they returned to normal. Joker's transformation back to humanity was quite painful compared to others, culminating with the severe injuries he received in his battle with Batman. He was taken back to his cell by several police officers and surviving Arkham security personnel, his plans ultimately failed. While locked up and recovering from Titan's effects, Joker was left humiliated, angry, and thirsty for revenge. While Joker planned his next move, he began to notice his body was not healing well after being injected with Titan, and began to fear that his defeat at Batman's hands may have cost him more than just being locked up again.
The Joker's SicknessEditAfter Batman stopped him from escaping Arkham Asylum, the Joker sat alone in his padded cell, and knew that something was wrong. The first sign was an unusual lump on his shoulder. He felt tainted. Weeks went by, and ten more unusual lumps appeared. The Titan had done something to him; Joker was dying. He knew it and soon so would anyone who saw him. The last thing he needed was to appear weak before his rivals. So, one day at lunch, the Joker took a spoon and dug out another inmate's eyes, and knew this would get him solitary confinement. He could keep out of sight, at least until his transfer to Arkham City. The Joker needed an escape plan, and on the night of his transfer, Harley Quinn provided him one. Disguised as an Arkham guard, she overpowered the Joker's escorts and stole her puddin' away to a boat that was waiting on the island's quayside.
As the boat carrying the twisted pair sped off towards Gotham, it was joined by a second. A secret alarm placed by Batman had alerted him to the Joker's escape, and he pursued the fugitives in the Batboat. They both ignored his orders to stop, so Batman opened fire. As Harley steered the boat to shore, missiles ripped the hull to pieces. They swam, with the weakened Joker being pulled through the water by a distraught Harley, who was desperate to save her puddin'. She pulled the Joker out of the water to safety, and somehow avoided Batman's searchlight. She and the Joker sat there, gasped for breath, and suddenly realized where they were: Arkham City.
After they arrived in Arkham City, the Joker and Harley Quinn were eager to explore their new stomping grounds.
Being the first inmate in the city undetected, Joker plotted to become the ruling elite in the Arkham City underworld and to use the facility for his own malicious designs and purposes and established his main base of operations in the Sionis Steel Mill, which was one of Black Mask's former company properties which Joker knew well from his time impersonating Sionis. Over the next several months, Joker began renovating the factory into his classical image, complete with a roller-coaster death trap that was meant as a sadistic recruiting method to weed out the inmates with the best reflexes (those that jumped from the coaster before the death plunge).
With Harley at his side, Joker began to brutally recruit inmates once again for his new army, both old and new associates alike, and soon became one of the leading powers of Arkham City, rivaling that of Penguin and his gang. With Harley nursing him, Joker would soon gain some of his health back and would be well enough to walk without the use of a wheelchair, which allowed him to embark on some of his plans himself.
Having firmly situated himself in the city, Joker began to look to form several connections and partnerships to aid in his plans. He started by paying a visit to Mr. Cobblepot, a.k.a, The Penguin, who was also one of the first inmates in the prison as he refused to move when the perimeter wall was built, and believed that their bitter rivalry that started years ago was ancient history.
However, Penguin still remembered all the trouble that Joker had caused him over the years, refused to even let him enter the Iceberg Lounge, and shut the door just before he squirted acid towards his face. With Penguin now back on his hit list, Joker made it one of his goals to topple Penguin's power in Arkham City and slaughter him and his entire army. With both Joker and Penguin being the first inmates in Arkham City, they were seen as the major power-bases by other inmates to join in order to survive in the hellish domain.Lester Kurt, arrived and was looking for a job. He easily escaped the Joker's death traps, and dispatched his goons. Joker, impressed, took a liking to Lester and welcomed him into his gang, but also instructed his men to keep a close eye on him. After he realized that the Joker was a poor choice of an employer, Lester bailed out on the gang and went looking for a job with the Penguin. Joker was unsurprisingly furious to the point that he put a bounty on Lester's head, and was unaware of the fact that Lester Kurtz was actually the latest alias of his hated enemy, Batman.
Joker and his gang soon become embroiled in violent turf wars for control over Arkham City with other fractions and gangs. In order to ensure that no one could either confirm nor deny the rumor of his illness, Joker relayed his orders through Harley while he remained in the shadows, cooking up his plans and operations in preparation of Batman's inevitable arrival in Arkham City. Joker also used Harley to lead some of his men into making frequent raids on other inmates' supply of drugs in order to aid in his condition.
In addition to this, it seemed that Joker had also been taking every precaution to prolong his fate, including abducting his doctor and forcing him to give him a diagnosis and isolate some of the Titan compound from his blood stream. The doctor, after informing Joker of his deteriorating condition and giving him the isolated Titan formula, was sent into the factory's old incinerator on Joker's roller-coaster.
At the same time, Joker began to obtain several shipments of the Titan Formula that he had sent off of Arkham Island into Gotham prior to Batman spoiling his plans. However, he also knew that others such as the Penguin were likely to have obtained some of the shipments as well and used the Titan he salvaged from his blood stream as a failsafe supply should the other shipments get stolen or destroyed. To that end, Joker used the Titan in his possession to mass-produce large quantities of the chemicals once again. upgraded some of his gang, and sent them out to kill anyone he saw as an obstacle in his plans for control over Arkham City.
Among them was Bane, who had been running a makeshift fighting ring in Arkham City, and was soon attacked by one of Joker's men, who was pumped up on Titan. Bane was defeated and nearly killed until Joker's thug's heart went into cardiac arrest from the overuse of Titan and was mercy killed by him, who decided to locate and claim all the sources of Titan for himself once and for all, and knew just how dangerous it was, especially if it used against him.Joker would also target many of the political prisoners within the city, most of them having been incarcerated simply because they knew too much about Arkham City, and had his gang use them as little more than slaves to do his bidding. Some of this would entail these individuals actually complete several tasks that would aid Joker in his ambitions for the war over control of Arkham City, but for the most part, they were used simply as another outlet for the Clown Prince of Crime to let his madness loose and torture and murder more innocents even within the confines of the country's most massive prison complex.
While Joker continued to be embroiled in the turf wars for control of the prison complex, Mugsy, an old time associate of the Ventriloquist, brought Scarface back to Joker as a favor to get back into his gang, who was delighted to get his buddy back. Joker started spending more time with Scarface than anyone else, which made Harley jealous. Harley tossed Scarface into a boiler when Joker wasn't around, and consoled him by saying that she slipped, but he told her not to worry and brought out a new Scarface that Mugsy had made for him.
While Joker hugged the dummy, it motioned to his eyes with his fingers to Harley, which implied that it was watching her and hinted that Joker may have been intentionally using Scarface to mess with Harley's love for him for his own amusement and to make Harley more vicious and erratic in leading his plans and operations. Scarface was also the perfect means of abuse that Joker needed, with Mugsy creating a new one every time Joker got bored with one, which freed him to mutilate, torture, and destroy any puppet that failed to entertain him.
With multiple unseen connections and pawns in place, Joker was prepared to launch his latest plans for the death and destruction of all of Gotham City and beyond. With his pending illness, Joker took precautions to ensure that he was still seen as one of the leading powers in Arkham City and eventually conquer the new compound for himself. With his plaything of a manipulation, Harley Quinn, Joker issued orders that would eventually come to fruition to reveal a heinous plan that would be unleashed in Arkham City and violently erupt onto the unsuspecting citizens of Gotham City.
None knew of the full extent of the Joker's plans, not even Hugo Strange himself, who assumed that he had everyone in Arkham City under his control. Joker's plans would not only light up all of Gotham City with death and destruction, but would also give him everything he had desired for the past year: power, revenge against Batman, a cure for his illness, incredible and unlimited numbers to command, and even immortality itself to continue wreaking death, chaos, and destruction for decades with no end in sight.
The Set UpEdit
With Joker regarded as one of the most violent and historic criminals of all time, it wasn't long before Hugo Strange had him brought into his office in order to study and understand him, and saw him as the ultimate challenge for his psychological tactics. After having Joker brought in to start taped interview sessions, Hugo Strange reminded the Clown Prince of Crime of his remaining time that was left before his impending death was short, something even Joker admitted. Strange then offered to make a deal with the villain: if Joker allowed the doctor to study him, Strange would make Joker's last days more 'comfortable' in return, and started their alliance.
Throughout his alliance with Strange, Joker had the mad doctor round up dozens of medical doctors and physicians for him to help cure his illness. Regardless of how many doctors Strange abducted and brought into Arkham City, Joker seemed more concerned and happy with torturing, mutilating, and murdering them rather than developing a cure.
Unknown to Strange, however, Joker had been using the doctors to drain large quantities of his poisoned blood and had them shipped off to emergency rooms all over Gotham City, which infected thousands of people with his illness. In return, Joker told Strange what it was that drove him over the edge of sanity, though all the stories that he told were nothing more than mere fabrications to hide the truth about his condition, which Strange later concluded after reading through a dozen different origin stories that Joker had told over the years.While Strange believed that he knew everything the Joker could be planning, the Clown Prince of Crime shocked him when he revealed that he knew everything about Strange, including his experiments, his control over Quincy Sharp, and his insidious plans for Arkham City, and threatened Strange that he would have all this information leaked to the authorities and the public if he didn't stop trying to uncover his past. Using his knowledge of this information further to blackmail Strange, Joker was able to obtain weapons from him (though Strange had his own designs for that course of action), had all the prison's food drops be delivered right outside his territory, and gained inside information on the occurrences within Arkham City.
Joker eventually found out that Strange had Mr. Freeze brought into Arkham City and was having him prepare countless medical drugs, chemicals, and serums for his plans by holding his wife, Nora Fries, hostage. Wanting Freeze's genius for himself to develop a cure, Joker had Strange bring Nora to him to use as collateral to make Freeze develop a cure. Leaving Nora in one of his warehouses and at the mercy of his henchmen, many of whom wished to unfreeze and rape her, Joker blackmailed Freeze to develop a cure, and threatened to murder Nora if he failed to do so, though Joker planned to kill her regardless if Freeze succeeded or not.
However, Strange, fearing Joker's potential to ruin his plans, formed a pack with Penguin, helped him capture Freeze, locked him up in his Museum, and gained control of his weapons. Strange would still remain in contact with Joker, who was initially unaware of this betrayal, and continued to supply him with weapons as part of his plans to initiate Protocol 10, a military operation that Strange believed would make him famous and serve as a monument to Batman's failure and defeat.
Joker also began to suspect Strange's ambitions to use Arkham City as a coverup to actually plan an exploitation of the situation to wipe out every single individual within the prison. To that end, Joker made use of the construction equipment at the Steel Mill to build massive tunnels that connected to Gotham's sewers and subway system as a shelter for whatever Strange had planned to ensure that his army survived while the rest of his enemies were slaughtered.
Those tunnels proved to be the perfect entry points into the other villains' territory in order to conquer their turfs and claim them as his own. Joker also saw Strange's true designs as a great way to wipe out his most hated enemies and in which, by the end of the conflict, his army would be the only force left standing, ready to tear down the walls of the prison and completely destroy Gotham City once and for all.Eventually, one of Joker's trump cards arrived as Basil Karlo, also known as Clayface, entered Arkham City completely undetected under Joker's orders. Assuming the guise of numerous inmates and security personnel alike, the monstrous mudpack eventually met with his cryptic employer. After he formed an alliance with the dying clown during his imprisonment in Arkham Asylum, Clayface was quickly convinced to aid the Joker and embroiled himself in the Clown Prince of Crime’s last megalomaniac master plan. Despite not actually being imprisoned in Arkham City, Clayface had sided with the Joker for one key reason: to play “the role of a lifetime”. At the request of the Joker, Karlo posed as the healthy crazed Clown Prince of Crime and willingly carried out the vast amounts of chaos the actual Joker would if he was capable.
With Clayface’s vast and nearly unstoppable abilities under his command, the Joker knew he would all but conquer Arkham City with everyone fooled by his double, including Hugo Strange. Next to doubling as him, the Joker used the feat of clay as a puppet of power to carry out his most extreme tasks; having the shape-shifter overlook all operations outside the Steel Mill alongside Harley, recruiting and building up his army into massive numbers, and ultimately convince a cold tempered Mr. Freeze to develop a cure for the clown’s growing illness (although Hugo Strange had already taken Fries’s wife, Nora, hostage by that point).
The Joker was almost sure that he was clearing a pathway straight to his victory and with the spotlight focused on his doppelganger, he knew that he could easily stay hidden in the shadows long enough to see through his countless plans; which coincidentally would also play into what would be Clayface’s final “performance” as well.
Joker eventually used Clayface to disguise himself as various TYGER personnel in order to infiltrate their locations and obtain their equipment and even their card keys and codes needed to access structures right outside Arkham City's perimeter walls. With these items in his possession, Joker gained access to the Sionis Boat House, which was just next to his base, where he stored his most valuable weaponry, equipment, and plans; away from the prying eyes of Hugo Strange and his TYGER operatives who remained completely ignorant and blissful of the true magnitude of Joker's own operations.
Joker lastly used Clayface to infiltrate Arkham Island, then TYGER's main base of operations, to place dozens of explosives deep within the bowels of the Asylum as part of his alternative plans for Batman and Gotham, as well as to take out TYGER when the time was right. With everything in place and his plans completely unnoticed by even Hugo Strange and TYGER, Joker waited for Batman's inevitable arrival in Arkham City, where their most brutal and psychological battle would play out.
Final Moments And DeathEdit
Each and every day, the war for control over Arkham City escalated and became more chaotic and violent as Joker relished in the mass amounts of chaos, destruction, torture, murder, and mutilation that he brought to the streets. In love with the very madness that he created, Joker was not concerned in the slightest about his opponents in the turf wars as he had already begun to lay the foundations of his megalomaniac plans and implement his numerous trump cards that only he and a select few knew about. Before long, Joker would obtain everything that he needed to conquer Arkham City and find the means to obtain complete power and control to destroy Gotham.
As Bruce Wayne was abducted and brought into Arkham City under Hugo Strange's orders, Joker's crew seized control of the Arkham City Medical Facility, that was built inside the Gotham Cathedral, and had captured all the medical staff in order to claim all the chemicals and drugs for themselves. With Harley leading the operation, Joker's thugs also abducted a doctor, Stacy Baker, who had previously diagnosed Joker, under his orders to bring her to him for an update on his condition.
Knowing that Two-Face was stationed in the Solomon Wayne Courthouse near the cathedral, and planned to execute Catwoman to showcase his might, Joker also intended to ambush the operation to spoil Two-Face's plans, kill Catwoman himself, and grab Batman's attention. As Batman infiltrated the courthouse, defeated Two-Face's men, rescued Catwoman, and strung Two-Face upside down over a pit of acid, Joker saw his opportunity to implement a surprise attack. Using a remote controlled sniper rifle that Harley had set up in the cathedral bell tower, Joker attempted to assassinate Catwoman, though his primary motive was simply to coax Batman into tracking him down as part of an elaborate trap.At the same time, Joker also began sending groups of his men to find Mr. Freeze, who had mysteriously disappeared, and to also enter Two-Face's territory and attack Dent's men in order to take advantage of his dwindling numbers. After he made his way to the Smelting Chamber, Batman rescued Stacy, defeated all of Joker's henchmen, and finally entered the office of the Clown Prince of Crime himself. When he entered the office, Batman found Harley crying over a seemingly lifeless Joker in a wheelchair. However, this was all part of Joker's plans as he faked his own death in order to divert Batman's attention, which allowed the hero to become vulnerable to a surprise attack. Batman was gassed by Clayface disguised as Joker from behind (Batman believed that the Joker in the wheelchair was simply a dummy) and then beaten into unconsciousness by Harley with a bat, at which point Joker firmly tied Batman to the wheel chair, taped a phone to his chest, and stuck a syringe in his throat to transfer his poisoned blood into his body. Batman was infected with the same disease as Joker. Joker insisted that Batman follow his commands in order to get a cure for the disease from Mr. Freeze. Though Batman was willing to die if that meant the end of the Joker, the villain revealed one of his trump cards: thousands of innocent people in Gotham were also infected with his blood.
After he revealed that poisoning Gotham City was a separate plot from Protocol 10, Joker rolled the wheelchair outside the window, and told the Dark Knight that he would keep in touch with the phone that he taped to him. However, Joker planned to not only use Batman to obtain the cure, but also as his greatest asset in the turf wars in Arkham City in order to defeat his rivals. After Batman, realized that he had no choice but to find the cure in order to save Gotham once again, allowed Joker to send him on several missions to obtain the cure.
Meanwhile, a portion of Joker's crew had split up into two groups with one killing Penguin's crew outside the old GCPD Building, where Freeze was previously stationed, and one moving into Two-Face's territory and massacring all of Dent's crew and rounding up any stragglers for information on where Freeze was.
Keeping in contact with his longtime enemy through phone calls, Joker eventually sent Batman to rescue Mr. Freeze from Penguin, and knew that this would also topple Cobblepot's power in Arkham City and eliminate a major opponent in his control for Arkham City. Once Batman defeated Penguin's forces, saved Mr. Freeze, and put Penguin out of commission, Joker immediately took advantage of this new tide in the battle and had his men slaughter hundreds of Penguin's men and press any survivors into joining him. Using the sewers systems and tunnels that Joker's crew had made over the previous months, Joker's followers infiltrated Penguin's territory and began claiming it for themselves.
At the same time, Joker sent his men to retrieve the last shipment of weapons from Hugo Strange under the foundations of Wonder Tower, Hugo Strange's base of operations, which would contain the most devastating weaponry including missile launchers, sniper rifles, rocket launchers, automated assault rifles, mines, high frequency power generators, thermal googles, and much more.
With his increased firepower, Joker took Arkham City by storm, conquered nearly the entire compound with only a small portion of Two-Face's territory left, and left a trail of death and destruction in his wake. Almost every prisoner within Arkham City would be forced to join Joker's army, which made Joker the ruling elite on the streets while Two-Face's men were being rounded up and tortured for information in the Steel Mill. However, Joker was still in desperate need of the cure and feared that perhaps Batman had actually failed or turned on him as he had not been heard from in hours.
Taunting Batman through phone calls with dubious clues about what he was truly planning, Joker was relieved to learn Batman had found the means to develop the cure and had Freeze create enough for both of them. However, Freeze destroyed one of vials of the cure and refused to give Batman the remaining one, which he locked up in his safe, until he saved his wife from Joker. Batman, knowing how little time he had left, fought Freeze for the cure. Joker in the meantime, having planned to double-cross Batman the entire time, sent Harley to steal the cure (and to also murder several of his henchmen for failing to capture Freeze) while Batman and Mr. Freeze were fighting by cutting the wall open that was located behind the safe and pilfered the cure.
In place of the cure, Harley left two Joker cards, with one being a faxed version and the other being a physical card, which were actually clues to what Joker's plans truly consisted of, to taunt Batman. Joker also ordered Harley to steal some of Freeze's offensive equipment in order to increase his weaponry after successfully obtaining the cure. With Harley on her way to deliver the cure, Arkham City under his complete control, his increased weaponry, and Protocol 10 just under an hour away from commencement, Joker began making his plans to blow the walls of Arkham City and form escape routes to lay a bloody siege on Gotham City and completely destroy it and wipe out all its citizens. To that end, Joker began placing explosives all around the perimeter walls, which were ready to be detonated when the rest of his plans were in place. As all supplies, ammunition, and weapons were prepared and stored away for transportation, Joker motivated his army and prepared them for the massive attack on the city.
With Batman having accomplished everything that he was blackmailed to do, Joker was delighted to begin his cat and mouse game with his old enemy and friend anew. To renew his game with Batman, Joker made an anonymous phone call to the Gotham Tonight Show to inform the staff there that Batman was in Arkham City in order to lure news reporter, Vicki Vale, to the city. Once Vale was in the perimeters of the city in her news chopper, Joker took over her broadcast in order to taunt her and then fired a rocket at her chopper, which caused her to crash-land in Arkham City.
With Vale's chopper destroyed and her pilot dead, Joker sent some of his men to kill the helpless reporter with sniper rifles, and knew that this would force Batman out into the open and serve as a diversion while Harley returned to the Steel Mill with the completed cure. Batman neutralized the threat and rescued Vale, at which point, Joker contacted him again, and told him that if he wanted the cure, it would be waiting for him in the Steel Mill. With all the pieces in place, Joker was prepared to start the next phase of his plans and obtain the main objective of his schemes; finding the Lazarus Pit, which was hidden somewhere under Arkham City, to obtain immortality and absolute power and assume control over the League of Assassins.
However, just as Harley Quinn was about to reach Joker with the completed cure, Talia al Ghul, also in Arkham City to aid in her father's operations, intercepted her, tied her up, and stole the cure. Joker soon realized that something must have went wrong and resorted to an alternative, and knew that he needed to have his gang under the impression that he was cured in order to motivate them to attack the rest of Arkham City and Gotham.
Joker had Clayface utilize his abilities to assume his appearance once again and sent out a video taped message all throughout the Steel Mill to make his forces believe him to be completely cured and ready to lead them in full force once again. This worked beautifully as all his men prepared for their final siege of Arkham as Joker concentrated his efforts on securing the Lazarus Pit. In the meantime, he also sent out a handful of his men to the Gotham Radio Tower near his base to take control of the broadcast frequencies and implant a message from him to all of Gotham as part of a fail-safe plot.After rescuing Nora Fries from his henchmen and retrieving Freeze's stolen equipment, Batman eventually confronted Joker, who was staring into a mirror and appeared perfectly healed, though his reflection curiously showed him still sick, at the top of the Steel Mill in the Funhouse. However, the reality was that Clayface was still posing as the healthy Joker while the real Joker was on the other side of the mirror, and escaped from the Mill through this diversion.
Batman eventually defeated this Joker and dozens of his men, but was soon surprised when TYGER helicopters suddenly began firing missiles at the Mill and all over Arkham City under Strange's orders, and revealed that Protocol 10 was actually a security measure to wipe out the entire inmate population through missile attacks. TYGER continued raining down death and destruction onto the city, which destroyed the room and pinned Batman under the rubble. Clayface as Joker, gleeful, prepared to carve a smile into his face when Talia al Ghul interrupted him and offered him immortality in return for Batman's life.When Batman warned Talia not to do so. Talia presented her sword to the Joker, who gladly accepted it and agreed to lead the League, and planned on taking advantage of Talia's knowledge of the Lazarus Pit to finally locate it. Leaving Batman, hundreds of his own crew, and even Harley Quinn, at the mercy of Protocol 10, Joker was led to the very building that was directly located over the Lazarus Pit Chamber, the Monarch Theatre.
Contacting his forces, Joker ordered the rest of his vast army to take shelter in the tunnel systems that they had constructed over the months to wait for Protocol 10 to end and the rest of their adversaries slaughtered before emerging back onto the streets to start the final phase of his plans. At the same time, Joker sent a handful of his henchmen down to Wonder City to retrieve all the Wonder City Mechanical Guardians, and planned on reprogramming them to serve as weapons once he assumed leadership of the League of Assassins and commenced his massive attack on Gotham.
While it seemed that Talia had betrayed Batman, she truly intended to lure the Joker aside and kill him while Batman tracked her down by using one his trackers that Talia had equipped onto her person. Batman, however, knew that Talia was the one in danger and, true to his prediction, Joker easily outsmarted and overpowered her at the Monarch Theatre, and held her hostage to ensure that Batman arrived at the Theatre for their final performance. Joker finally prepared the last steps of his plans; and set up an arena for an incredible showdown with his old friend and eternal enemy.
Turning the Monarch Theatre into his own personnel arena, Joker rigged explosives all over the floors and walls, and knew that the key to immortality he so desperately craved was underneath his very feet. With Protocol 10 wiping out the rest of the competition, Joker counted on Batman to take down Strange and come to him for their final battle. As Joker waited for Batman's arrival, he recorded one final message that was meant to be communicated to Batman in the event of his death. Once recorded, Joker gave it to his henchmen to be stored within the Steel Mill as part of his contingency plans to destroy Gotham. Once the rest of Gotham's super-criminals were killed off in Protocol 10 and Strange was taken down by Batman, Joker would be able to take complete control of the entire criminal underworld and lead the whole inmate population of thousands of bloodthirsty and sadistic mass murderers, serial killers, and rapists to blow the walls of the prison, stage a coup against TYGER, steal the rest of their equipment and armory, and erupt onto the streets of Gotham in an orgy of bloodletting.
With the League of Assassins under his complete control, the powers of immortality at his disposal, the most technologically advanced military grade weaponry known to man in his possession, and the sheer amount of numbers in his forces to command, Joker relished all of the death and destruction that he could bring to Gotham and the world for centuries with nothing in existence to stop or kill him.
After Batman stopped Protocol 10, all f TYGER's forces were neutralized, Wonder Tower was destroyed, and Hugo Strange and Ra's al Ghul, the secret benefactor behind Strange's plans and operations, were both killed. With everything in place, Joker had his men conquer what was left of Arkham City and patrolled the streets as he took control of the prison's monitor and communication systems to challenge Batman to a final showdown at the Monarch Theatre.
Batman soon arrived, subdued all of Joker's men, and entered the very Theatre where his life as a crime fighter began to take root. With Talia at gunpoint, Joker demanded the cure from Batman, and confused the hero as he believed Joker already had it and cured himself. In the confusion, Talia grabbed the sword she presented to Joker and ran him through with it, and seemingly killed the Joker once and for all.
As Talia revealed that she had stolen the cure from Harley Quinn before she could deliver it to Joker, Batman looked at his hated enemy, believed that his death was an unnecessary casualty, and told Talia that there was always an alternative tactic to defeating an enemy. Talia defended her course of action to Batman by stating that it was a necessary one in order to save him and comforted the hero, and assured him that the long night of chaos and destruction instilled by the Joker, Hugo Strange, and her father, was finally over.However, after realizing that it was never simple with the Joker, Batman began to rethink all the strange occurrences throughout the night: a seemingly dead Joker dummy in a wheelchair, the two versions of the Joker card left in place of the cure, and a healthy Joker looking into a mirror that reflected a sickly Joker. Connecting them all together, Batman realized the truth: there was always two Jokers. Surmising that since Joker had never received his cure, Batman immediately concluded that the healed Joker was not the real one and turned to Talia just as he heard a gun cocking in the distance. Batman, screamed out to Talia in vain, was too late to warn her, and watched in pain as she was shot fatally in the back. Falling into the arms of her beloved, Talia apologized to Batman for her carelessness with her last breath and died as the insane laughter of the one, true Joker revealed himself in front of the movie projector and was holding the gun that he had shot Talia with.
Still sick and nearing death, Joker aimed his gun at Batman next, and demanded for Batman to hand over "his cure". The healthy Joker finally revealed himself to Batman as Clayface, having been smuggled into Arkham City under Joker's orders to take up the spotlight and divert attention from his true plans; Clayface agreed to assist Joker for the chance to play the role of a lifetime and then take on Batman's persona after he killed him.
Clayface grabbed the cure before Batman could, absorbed it into his body, and started an incredible battle with the Dark Knight, by using all his abilities to the fullest of their potential. With Joker watching the spectacle from the balcony, the fate of Gotham City and the world at large hung in the balance of this final showdown as Batman's own life was merely moments away from death. However, Batman was able to use the Freeze Blasts that were manufactured and given to him by Mr. Freeze in return for saving his wife to stop Clayface in his tracks and retrieve the sword that was still stuck within him from Talia's attack. Batman then proceeded to cut Clayface into pieces with the sword, at which point the Joker, after making a tasteless joke about Talia's death, detonated the bombs on the floor for a "change of scenery."
As the floor exploded, Batman and Clayface were violently thrown down into the Lazarus Chamber, where their brutal fight continued. Clayface, now greatly weakened, began isolating portions of his body into small soldiers to attack Batman as he attempted to compose his body mass once more. However, Batman, still wielding Talia's sword, was able to cut through Clayface's forces and throw Freeze Blasts into his body, and froze him once again. The dying hero then entered Clayface's body, retrieved the cure, cut him open, and incapacitated the monster once and for all. Batman, having retrieved the cure finally, drank it and cured himself of the Titan disease, while also keeping half to cure Joker and the rest of Gotham.
Joker, unshaken by Clayface's defeat, prepared to jump into the Lazarus Pit to claim immortality once and for all and become the new leader of the League of Assassins. However, much to Joker's dismay, Batman threw the sword into the main generator, which caused it to falter and knock what was left of Clayface into the Pit. The controls and remaining generators went critical as a result as Clayface's body matter contaminated the chemicals of the pit, and resulted in an explosion that completely destroyed the pit and most of the room.
With his plans ultimately ruined, Joker demanded his last hope from Batman, and taunted him that despite all the death and destruction that he caused in just a single night, Batman would still save him. Batman voiced his hatred of the Joker and his temptation to refuse him the cure and let him die, and knew that he would only continue to break out and kill if left alive and locked up. Laughing at the absurdity of their never ending battle, Joker stabbed Batman in the arm, which caused him to drop the vial, which shattered onto the floor. Joker screamed in horror as Batman threw him to the ground and tried in vain to drink the cure from the floor.Accepting that he would ultimately die, Joker asked Batman if he was happy now and calmly sat on the ground. As the Joker's health began to reach its ultimate low, Batman reflected on the irony and humor in that Joker was actually correct; despite his crimes, Batman would have still saved him. The Joker agreed with Batman and also found the situation genuinely funny, laughing and coughing soundly in his final moments before he finally succumbed to his Titan poisoning, and died with a smile on his face.
Pitying his long time nemesis, Batman grimly picked up and carried Joker's corpse out of the Monarch Theatre. As the doors opened, Joker's gang was outside chanting his name, and expected to see their leader triumphantly striding out and having defeated Batman once and for all. They all went completely silent when they saw the Dark Knight carrying the Clown Prince of Crime motionless in his arms. Among the gang outside the theater was Harley Quinn, who gasped, fell to her knees, and sobbed uncontrollably as she saw the Joker's limp body being carried away by Batman. Batman finally carried Joker's corpse through the main gate of Arkham City and into Gotham City, where the GCPD had gathered in preparation to retake the area from the rampaging criminals. He placed the Joker's body on the GCPD patrol car of Commissioner James Gordon, who was also shocked to see Batman's greatest nemesis dead and repeatedly asked him what happened, only to be met with silence. Over the following weeks, as Arkham City was shut down, Batman would see to it that a massive quantity of the cure for the Titan disease would be manufactured and administered to all of Joker's victims, which cured them and saved their lives.After years of death, misery, and tragedy, the Joker, the Clown Prince of Crime, and Batman's greatest threat and arch-nemesis was gone at long last. However, unknown to Batman at the time, not all of the late clown's plots had been foiled as Joker had laid out a series of contingency plans and operations in the event of his death that had already taken effect. With Harley and the rest of Joker's followers ensuring that his legacy would be upheld, Joker's back up schemes would rock Gotham to its very core and continue to plague Batman. Even in death, the Clown Prince of Crime would wreak havoc on Gotham and continue his cat and mouse game with Batman.
AftermathEditJoker's death had deeply affected both Harley Quinn emotionally and mentally, and made her more vicious and temperamental, and Batman, who hadn't been the same, being even unable to say a word about what happened during the last time that he was in Arkham City. His death had also caused the creation of Harley's revenge plan on Batman.
Not long after his death, Joker's corpse was immediately taken to the hospital for an autopsy. Initial search revealed his body had a secondary layer of skin on top of the decaying one, and a box containing a flash drive, with a message "Do Not Open Till X-Mas" written on it, hidden under that layer. One of the doctors attempted to remove the box, only to trigger a Joker Gas booby trap. Afterwards, Commissioner Gordon, believing that the Joker was just as dangerous dead than he was alive, decided to take his corpse away and hide it from the rest of Gotham, and let only Batman in on its location.
Two weeks later, Harley escaped from her prison, reformed her old gang at the Steel Mill, and kidnapped various GCPD Officers and even created a shrine to Joker. While looking for the officers, Batman came across a message left by Joker before his death, but decided to put it off until later. After going to rescue the kidnapped cops, Batman was shot by Harley and put in a sphere in the Joker robot in a comatose state. After two days, Robin went to rescue Batman and stop Harley's plans.
After Robin rescued Batman, Batman himself went to deactivate the bombs before the facility blew up while Robin went to take the officers out of the building. After he deactivated the three bombs, Batman went to arrest Harley and discovered that it was she who stole the Mechanical Guardians from Wonder City and used them to attack Batman and, after defeating them, discovered Harley's ultimate plan: destroy the entire facility with a final bomb that was hidden inside the Joker Statue and kill everyone in it including herself, so she could reunite with her beloved Mr. J. Batman managed to escape the blast radius along with an angered Harley, but it appeared that Robin was caught in the explosion, and taking advantage of the situation, Harley tried to stab Batman with a knife to finish her revenge, only to be stopped by Robin, who threw a Shuriken at her, which knocked her out. After he saw that Robin and the cops were okay, Batman left the area.
The day after, a posthumous message that was left by Joker was broadcasted to all of Gotham, including Batman. Joker warranted a search for his dead body to be returned to Harley Quinn, with the prize money of 100 million dollars, or several bombs rigged around Arkham City's wall will go off, and release its remaining inmates onto the streets of Gotham. Joker also left behind a message for Batman to go to Arkham Asylum, to retrieve the code that could be used to deactivate the bomb. This, however, turned out to be a trap, as the bombs were actually placed within Joker's cell in the asylum by Clayface, in order to lure Batman. The trap caused a large explosion, and destroyed a portion of the asylum. Batman, however, managed to survive, and later contacted Gordon to meet up. The Joker would later be cremated with both Gordon and The Dark Knight present. Gordon handed Batman the flash drive that was found in Joker's body, which he would later analyze in the Batcave. Inside was a video recording entitled: "The Last Will and Testament of the Joker", where he explained his reasoning for inducing chaos in Gotham. Not long after this, Gordon was somehow affected by Joker's toxin, which forced Batman to break Harley Quinn out of prison in order to find the location of the antidote for the toxin. Batman, while able to find the antidote, was led into a trap, and had to battle Killer Croc. With the help of Aaron Cash, Batman was able to immobilize Croc and cured Gordon in time.
Nine months after Arkham City's shutdown, Joker's death and the ultimate failure of his plans lead Gotham City to a time of peace with crime dramatically decreasing to nearly zero for the first time in years. Without Joker's chaotic and murderous presence plaguing the streets of Gotham, the citizens had never felt safer and other criminals had become much more quiet and relatively neutral. After he feared that something was developing behind the scenes, Batman continued to keep a dedicated vigil over the city and developed new technology as he continued to struggle with his feelings over his nemesis' death. However, without Joker's hold over the criminal underworld, a power vacuum was left in place as the other villains began to seize the opportunity to gain control over the criminal element for their own designs.
Ultimately, Scarecrow, returned after years of hiding and plotting after Killer Croc's attack on him underneath Arkham Asylum, which left him horribly scarred and deformed, managed to take over the criminal underworld and had united all of Batman's enemies. After they all knew that Gotham City would never truly be theirs to conquer and twist to their own desires with Batman still alive, the villains agreed to temporarily collaborate in order to finally achieve their common goal: the death of Batman. With Joker's presence gone, the remaining members of Batman's rogues gallery had a much easier time working together without the Clown Prince of Crime upsetting the balance and had been silently working together for the past year to unleash an elaborate plot to destroy Batman and conquer the city that he vowed to protect.
After he consolidated all of the city's worst criminals and villains, Scarecrow instigated an evacuation of Gotham City on Halloween night under the threat of his new strain of Fear Toxin, which was developed over the last couple of years, and was unleashed from within chemical weapons and bombs that were hidden throughout the city. With the city evacuated, only the police officers were left as the villains and their respective gangs, were all working together, began to take over the streets and created chaos and destruction all over Gotham.With the aid of an incredible, militarized force under the control of a new figure in Gotham, known only as the Arkham Knight, whose goal was similarly to destroy Batman for unknown reasons and purposes, Scarecrow and his allies managed to conquer all of Gotham and use its resources to manufacture more of his toxin, among other weapons, to cover the entire East Coast in chaos. Harley Quinn herself joined the alliance with her own plans to avenge Joker's death and ensure that the villain's legacy lived on throughout Gotham City and the world beyond.
As Gotham descended into chaos, Batman attempted to neutralize the threat by infiltrating ACE Chemicals, the factory was converted into Scarecrow and Arkham Knight's base of operations. Scarecrow manufactured massive quantities of his Fear Toxin within the chemical mixing plant and rigged the entire factory to blow, which would cause all of Gotham and the entire East Coast to be engulfed in a paralyzing wave of Fear Toxin. Though Batman managed to reach Scarecrow, the villain quickly turned the tables of the Dark Knight by revealing that his forces were currently attacking Oracle's Clock Tower, and had deduced that Barbara Gordon had been aiding Batman's war on crime for countless years.As Batman attempted to communicate to Oracle, Scarecrow locked him in the room as his new strain of Fear Toxin was pumped throughout. After he accepted that there was little chance of survival, Batman willingly stayed behind to reduce the amount of Fear Toxin in the facility before it exploded, and left the city safe. However, before he could finish, Batman was shocked to come face to face with the Joker, who was suffering from the early stages of the Titan infection, and who proceeded to knock him out with a gunshot to the head. When he came to, Batman realized the horrifying truth that Joker's previously infected blood, which was injected into his veins by the villain nine months prior, was allowing his consciousness to take control of his mind. Scarecrow's Fear Toxin had accelerated the process and enabled Batman to see the Joker, the man who represented many of his greatest fears, though he alone was able to see and hear him. Joker revealed that he had previously accepted the possibility of death within Arkham City and took precautions to ensure that he lived on through his poisoned blood, which was delivered to Gotham's hospitals. Most of the victims who were administered the blood were cured by Batman and his allies, but some fell under the radar due to hospital records that never made note of their transfusions. By the time that Batman had cured them, the Joker's blood had already become assimilated into their bloodstream and with it, Joker's consciousness. Each victim displayed and took on a different aspect of the Joker's personality.Now nothing but mere pawns to the Clown Prince of Crime, those individuals performed violent mass murders and acts of extreme sadism and megalomania until Batman was able to quarantine them underground in an abandoned amusement park that he had since converted into a safety facility. The only victim that did not seem to show any symptoms of becoming another Joker was Henry Adams, a school principal, but he was kept under surveillance by Batman and Robin as he may have been the key to curing the others.
However, Joker's ultimate trump card came in the massive transfusion that he performed on Batman within Arkham City. The Joker truly lusted to take control of Batman's mind and body and become one with the hero. Scarecrow's Fear Toxin, mixed with the infection, had brought out the darker aspects of Batman and all his fears in the form of the Joker, a Joker who knew that Batman was Bruce Wayne, and taunted him on many personal things such as Talia's death and even Batman's own doubts and fears, including his guilt over Joker's death, much to the hallucination's delight as he slowly took over. With Joker in his mind, the psychopath now had access to all his secrets and planned to use Bruce's company, equipment, funds, and resources to murder all his enemies, consolidate all the gangs under his criminal empire, kill all of Batman's allies, and ultimately lead a campaign of violence on Gotham and the world itself.
Throughout the long and brutal night, Joker's control over Batman progressed, which caused the hero's sanity to dwindle to the ultimate level and see and hear Joker everywhere as the villain recounted the countless, inhuman crimes that he performed throughout his life, including the mutilation and murder of an entire kindergarten class and replacing the baptism water at a church with acid. Batman himself began reliving particularly brutal events in his life that were orchestrated by the Joker, including the paralysis of Barbara Gordon, and the abduction and horrendous torture of Jason Todd, the second Robin, which lasted for over a year in an abandoned wing of Arkham Asylum and ended with Joker brutally murdering him and videotaping the entire event for him to watch.It was later be revealed that Jason Todd was in fact the Arkham Knight, who survived Joker's attack as the villain's true goal was to turn Batman's sidekick against him. After he named himself after the facility in which he was tortured for over a year, Jason lusted to kill Batman for not only failing to find him, but replacing him as well. After he stated that nothing could be further from the truth, Batman told Jason that he never forgave himself for what happened and plead to not let Joker win as that was what he wanted to happen with his torture. While he escaped as Bruce reached out to his son, Jason finally began to realize just how much Bruce still loved him and did in fact desperately try to find him during his abduction. Meanwhile, it was revealed that Henry Adams, who was previously believed to be immune to the effects of Joker's blood, was actually the victim that was the most affected and was simply pretending to still be sane. With Joker's influence taking hold of him, Henry made contact with Harley Quinn and revealed the existence of the other Jokers to her and the pair made their plans to fool Batman in order to gain entry to the quarantine zone. When the time was right, Henry switched the security measures to allow Harley and her gang in, released the other Joker victims, and attempted to kill Robin. Upon losing contact with Robin, Batman headed to the amusement park and was able to neutralize all the Jokers and apprehended Harley.
However, Henry revealed his hand and, after he cruelly took Harley hostage, murdered the rest of the Jokers with a gun, and believed them to be shams of the original Joker. Henry drew his gun on Batman, as Joker's influence became stronger on the Dark Knight, with Joker commenting throughout the entire course of events. Joker deduced that, though Henry was an impressive host for him, he still could not compare to Batman and used his consciousness to influence Henry into committing suicide, which resulted in all four innocent hosts having their lives ruined and taken by the same influence. Batman contained Harley to one of the quarantine cells as Joker continued to taunt him with his impending loss of free will and sanity.
Joker's moment for victory seemed assured when he and Batman engaged in a brutal, mental battle within Crime Alley and ended with the Dark Knight breaking his nemesis's neck, albeit only in his mind. With that, Joker knew that he was pushing Batman toward his ultimate limit.
The Joker's Final LaughEdit
Joker fully took control over Batman when Scarecrow trapped the hero at the Arkham Mansion and exposed Batman's identity to the world as Bruce Wayne on live television, and finally injected him with a lethal dose of Fear Toxin. With Joker controlling his mind, the villain imagined all of the violence that he could perform and laughed insanely at the imagined carnage, as he began a massacre in his own twisted Batmobile, before he continued to murder Killer Croc, Penguin, Riddler, Two-Face and Commissioner Gordon, and saw Gotham City in flame and ruin, and cited it to be his 'finest work yet' and told a pleading Alfred that his 'new master' would be returning soon.
Back in the real world, Scarecrow continued to taunt Batman on his failures and proclaimed that he had won. However, Joker began to taunt Scarecrow back and told him to: 'get ready for the encore', and laughed manically as a confused Scarecrow injected him again, due to him having no idea that Joker had taken over and thought that Batman was resisting. Being sent back into Bruce's mind, Joker considered himself to be immune to the Fear Toxin, and called out to Batman to check if he was still around, which caused everything to go dark. But he is underestimating the fact that he too must feel the effects of the toxin injected within him.
When Joker turned the light attached to his gun on, he found himself in front of a painting of Batman carrying his corpse from Arkham City. As he explored, Joker became very disturbed and progressively frightened at the new surroundings around him, including his body being cremated, his grave shown to be small, overgrown and vandalized, getting surprised by a stone Batman statue before shooting it to pieces, no one (except a crying Harley) attending his wake, a radio broadcast explicitly detailing that no-one would remember him before an announcement that regarded the construction of a Batman museum focused on his rivalry with his greatest foe, the Penguin and Gotham, Batman, and even Harley forgetting about him. Joker eventually realized that, with all the horror, misery, and death that he had inflicted on others over the years, no one would mourn or miss him, and his legacy would soon be forgotten as Gotham and Batman moved on with their lives. Genuinely frightened that he was trapped within the nightmare and that he would not be remembered by anyone, Joker continued on through an empty graveyard where he was continuously haunted by an exponentially increasing number of Batman statues, no matter how many he shot down, more still appeared. Finally, as Joker approached one of the statues, Batman ambushed him as he broke out of the statue and punched him hard, which sent him flying into a hard wall. Joker then used his weapon to blow away the wall and was slightly relieved when he believed that he had found an exit in the center of Batman's psyche.
Ironically, that was nothing more than a ruse by Batman, who finally turned the tables on his hated nemesis and regained control of his mind. Batman revealed to the Joker that the villain was afraid of being ashes and being forgotten and that he would indeed be forgotten by everyone. For the first time in their battles, Joker was truly horrified and helpless against Batman as his attacks were strongest in his mind, while Joker's were now useless against an invulnerable Batman. Joker was severely beaten and thrown into a cell within Arkham Asylum in Intensive Treatment. As Batman locked the door to the cell, Joker screamed and desperately plead with the hero not to imprison, leave, and forget him, as he would be locked away within his mind forever. Batman, after he had finally realized that Joker was always at his mercy, bid one final goodbye to his nemesis and locked him away in his personal hell in the Extreme Isolation Wing of Arkham Asylum forever as Joker slowly sobbed and faded away, his final words to the hero being: "I need you".
Immediately afterward, Batman regained his mind and sanity and, built up a tolerance to the Fear Toxin and freed by a redeemed Jason Todd (who donned the image of the Red Hood), injected Scarecrow with his own toxin. Scarecrow was reduced to a pathetic and cowering man in front of live television and screamed insanely as his fears took control and saw Batman as a demonic figure, until Gordon knocked him out. Humiliated, beaten, and mentally broken, Scarecrow was taken to the GCPD Lockup, where he would remain locked up for the rest of his life along with his fellow criminals. If Batman died in the destruction of Wayne Manor, then the last trace of Joker's blood would of been destroyed with him, finally ending any chance of the clown prince of crime returning.
As Gotham returned to peace, Joker's legacy would slowly be forgotten with the villain not only dead, but locked away in his own, personal hell, alone and forgotten for the rest of time. With his legacy forgotten and Batman putting the past behind him, the Joker had finally lost and was gone forever in both body and spirit.
During the end credits, Joker's hallucinatory ghost was heard singing "The Asylum Blues", and realized that he was trapped forever and was only remembered as nothing more than a bad memory that was best left forgotten before he broke down in tears and his voice is not heard again. The Clown Prince of Crime, now permanently dead and Gotham is back to normal without him or his presence.
A special download for Arkham Asylum exclusive to the PlayStation 3 allowed players to take control of the Joker. He had his own attacks and challenge maps in which he must fend off Arkham's security guards trying to apprehend him. During combat, Joker employed a spray can of his lethal laughing gas, a revolver handgun, and his joy buzzer as special attacks. Joker used his impressive hand-to-hand abilities to punch, slap, kick, and poke out eyes. During stealth missions where Joker must dispose of Arkham's security on patrol, he could use a pair of glasses called specs to see through walls and identify guards, similarly to Detective mode, though he can't move while using them. The Joker also fights specific characters, including guards Aaron Cash, Henry Smith, Eddie Burlow, Zach Franklin, William North, and Louie Green, as well as Commissioner Gordon. The challenge maps were divided into melee and stealth challenges. The melee challenges pitted Joker in an arena-like room to face off against a number of security guards who came in to face the Clown Prince of Crime in groups. The stealth challenges were when the Joker must defeat all the Arkham guards without being detected in a large area of Arkham Asylum complete with nooks and crannies for the Joker to hide in. He also had Joker Teeth that exploded, destroyed walls and killed enemies.
Arkham Origins MultiplayerEdit
In Arkham Origins Online, Joker was a playable character, by activating the marked door by the Joker's Elites, which allowed the player to take control of him. Due to Joker's unique characteristic, he had the potential to turn the battle in his favor making him an ideal character to have in combat, and very effective in killing Bane's Elites & Heroes. In combat, Joker had no special abilities, he's marked, his health bar does not regenerate & he does not respawn after being defeated. But he had unlimited sprinting, had opposing Elite's marked, melee from Elites & Heroes was not very effective, a melee joy buzzer that effectively killed both Elites and Heroes, and a larger amount of health compared to the Elites and Heroes to compensate his weakness. His primary weapon was his Ace of Spades; it dealt a large amount of damage which could kill two Elites at the same time and could ricochet through corners allowing to kill an Elite taking cover, however, it had a powerful recoil and reloading was quite time consuming. His secondary weapon was his King of Hearts it had a long range and did splash damage which launched a volley of grenades, it's very effective against a group of Elites and also against the Heroes taking cover in vantage points or from long distance, but it did need reloading after per shooting.
The Joker's personality, (very much like his comic book counterparts) is derived from his extremely dark humour, sadism, an insatiable craving for anarchy, infatuation with Batman, psychosis, insanity and chaotic nature. Unlike most of Batman foes, whereas Batman knows their identity or real name, the Joker is an enigma with no past records or real name, making him a danger and a threat to this day.
Like many clinically diagnosed psychopaths and sociopaths, the Joker has an outright disregard for society and laws and unlike other professional criminals whereas they are motivated by either wealth or power, Joker was motivated by his greed to create chaos. He manufactured a super-soldier drug called TITAN which turned men into monsters and planned to release them into Gotham because he thought it would be "funny." The Joker also showed a complete lack of empathy to his allies and enemies alike, an example of this would be at Arkham Asylum where he encountered Batman once again and revealed his prototype TITAN soldier, once he abruptly died while attacking instead of being angered he calmly said "that was unexpected wasn't it? Oh, well."
Furthermore the Jokers grandiosity, charm, egomania and downright narcissism all stem back to his psychopathic behaviourism. He is incredibly manipulative and in some cases seductive he was able to trick his psychiatrist Harleen Quinzel into believing herself in love with him. He was able to manipulate Edward Burke into giving him his Seagate Amusement Park and then sadistically tricked him into committing suicide using pills that were secretly laughing gas.
He also showed signs of a multiple personality disorder. He was a pathological liar and a sadomasochist. Given Arkham City the Joker had created nearly twelve unique identities, the one we know about are him being a worker at Ace Chemicals which caused him to fall into a vat of acid which turned his skin white and his hair green (which appears to be the most likely) and him being a flat-broke comedian.
It could be considered that his clown-like appearance, grim humour and gags was a way for his enemies to underestimate which in Arkham Origins they did, Roman Sionis, the Black Mask described him as "nobody that matters' which caused his downfall. Despite him being an unreasonable, brutal and diabolical madman, the Joker was a tactical, cunning and genius manipulator, he began a fire at Blackgate so his goons would be transported to Arkham Asylum and led both riots. He was also intelligent enough not to underestimate Batman despite him being an urban myth at the time and hired eight of the deadliest assassins in the world to kill him.
The Joker was also a suicidal and nihilistic individual, an example of this would be at Arkham Origins on top of the Royal Hotel where Bane fired an RPG, he closed his eyes and awaited his almost inevitable death. At Arkham Asylum when his first TITAN soldier had died he gave Batman the opportunity to kill him once and for all and at the end once it appeared he had been beaten he claimed he had nothing to live for and shot himself with his own dart gun. However despite this he was still afraid of death and in Arkham City he frantically searched for a cure for his TITAN poisoning then brutally tortured and murdered those who failed to do so, he eventually died and got the last laugh on Batman.
Although a mostly evil person, in Arkham Knight nearly nine months after his death he becomes much more comical and provides most of the dark humour in the game. After infecting Batman with his own blood in Arkham City he became a hallucination in Batman's mind, through most of the night he sadistically forces his foe to watch him paralyse Barbara Gordon and the brutal torture of Jason Todd for over a year but he still provided the most laughs throughout the game and it's darkness.
That being said it does not underestimate his capacity for cruelty given the circumstances. His ruthlessness and brutality go nearly unmatched, he shows absolutely no concern for anyone, he murdered his own goons either if they disappointed, betrayed or just for the sheer fun of it. In Arkham Asylum he killed doctors, patients, guards, officers and his own henchmen because they were in his way or he needed a laugh. He was also shown to be abusive especially towards his girlfriend Harley Quinn who is completely infatuated with him which he completely rebuffs and even at the end of Asylum he comments "slapping around Harley, my hobby by the way!"
The Joker's appearance was that of a very tall and very thin man with bright green eyes, a long sharp chin, a pointy nose and an unusually wide smile. He was identified by his white skin, green hair and red lips, which made him look like a clown, though it seemed that he had painted his lips to give himself a clown smile in order to make his smile even wider than it already was.
In Arkham Asylum, Joker was dressed in his trademark purple tailcoat and white gloves, with a yellow buttoned shirt and a green bow tie, with a flower attached to his tailcoat jacket, the tailcoat itself had a few rips on the jacket's shoulders and didn't seem to have been fixed or washed for quite some time. Also, he had a wide widow's peak, which possibly showed a receding hairline. Joker also wore dress shoes and matching purple pants with a few stitched patches in a crude attempt to repair possible tears in the pants. After overdosing himself on Titan, Joker's appearance drastically changed; like most of the thugs that he injected Titan into, he grew in size and muscle. However, the physical change seemed more grotesque for him, as his spine jutted out far more than the others, as well as his shoulder blades and ribs broke through his skin, which was covered in boils and veins, and his hair also changed into a mohawk while on Titan.
Arkham City showed that the amount of Titan that Joker used was killing him, and when Batman first encountered Joker in Arkham City at the Steel Mill, it's shown that his face had started to develop boils and rashes as well as him looking very sick, with Joker's tailcoat being much darker in color. By the time Batman faced Joker again later on, his condition took a turn for the worst; with his face being completely covered in heavy rashes and thick veins, which nearly covered most of his white skin and stopped Joker from making his lips red, as shown in the Steel Mill Funhouse when he tried applying lipstick onto his ruined face. He was also shown missing patches of his green hair, and showed some mild bald patches on his head. By the time he died, Joker's face was now completely covered in a huge rash and thick veins, and his trademark white face was completely gone.
Arkham Origins showed a much younger Joker in the prime of his youth, with a full head of hair and a younger looking appearance overall, along with a thicker and messier painted smile on his face. Instead of his purple suit, the Joker was shown wearing the clothes that he wore as the Red Hood, which consisted of a white shirt, dark purple trench coat that had a light red inside, green waistcoat with bloodstains, grey trousers and dress shoes, his face also showed very mild patches of human pigmentation on his white face, which indicated that his transformation from Red Hood into the Joker had recently happened, and, as seen in the previous games, the rest of his skin did eventually turn completely white. Before he revealed himself to Batman in the Vault at the Gotham Merchant's Bank, Joker was disguised as Black Mask, and wore his white suit and trademark mask.
Arkham Knight first showed Joker during his cremation, and it could be seen that his face had returned to normal after his death, with mild boils and rashes on his face. When Batman hallucinated Joker, he appeared to the Dark Knight wearing his Arkham Asylum purple tailcoat rather than the darker tailcoat he died in in Arkham City, all while his face appeared to Batman in the early stages of the Titan infection. As the night went on, and he took more control over Batman's mind, Joker's appearance began to heal. By the end of Scarecrow's reign of terror, he appeared as a healthy Joker once again, having gotten control of Bruce's mind after he forces him to mentally snap Joker's neck, going against his moral code and everything he stood for. When Batman first started seeing visions of Joker shooting Barbara he was shown wearing a Hawaiian shirt, shorts, a hat, shoes, and sunglasses. Years before the Arkham Riots, Joker was seen wearing a carnival master's suit, which closely resembled his purple tailcoat, with a top hat. He wore this when he kidnapped Commissioner Gordon in order to lure Batgirl to his new lair at the Seagate Amusement Park in the DLC: A Matter of Family.
Real Name: Unknown
Dr. Penelope YoungEdit
My most challenging patient at Arkham. The Joker's derangement defies easy class. His rapidly changing mood swings hint at borderline personality disorder, but he has no trace of associated identity problems. He also displays signs of deep narcissism, but nonetheless he has a well-developed sense of others, as his ability to manipulate everyone from orderlies to doctors in Arkham is extraordinarily well-developed; he also shows all the signs of a highly functioning sufferer of antisocial personality. At times I actually wonder if he is actually insane at all.
His criminal record makes clear that he is an unrepentant homicidal maniac.
He is extremely manipulative; the file detailing Harley Quinn's associations with him is fascinating reading. It's unfortunate I was not on staff at the time to witness his seduction of her firsthand.
His past is unknown, and his answers to me about it are wildly inconsistent and frequently fantastical.
Dr. Hugo StrangeEdit
Dr. Hugo Strange: Side Note This self-styled criminal Clown Prince of Crime remains as volatile and violent as ever. His showdown with Batman in Arkham Asylum has left him humiliated, angry and thirsty for revenge. Some form of disease is spreading over the Joker, ravaging his face and body. He has repeatedly refused to be treated by anyone except his special 'nurse' Harley Quinn.
The Joker came to Arkham City laughing himself silly -- what's so funny about this place?
~ Dr. Hugo Strange
- Unrepentant homicidal maniac, albeit without a precise psychological diagnosis
- Surprisingly strong hand-to-hand combatant
- His past was unknown; conflicting, unconfirmed reports stated that he was a failed comedian, a petty thief, and a broken family man
- Employed various deadly weapons, often based on party-gag items
- Frequently used a toxin that stretched victim's face's into a Joker-like grin and caused death
- Unbelievable escapist and stronger endurance than a normal human being
- His sense of humor could be credited to what he perceived to be wrong with the world around him, as he was often seen laughing at the pointlessly terrible and truly wrong. This gave an indication as to his true feelings on the matter as his laughter was seen as hollow at times. For instance, Joker commented on finding Arkham City funny, even though a normal human being would consider it an abomination. Joker only found humor in what was wrong with humanity and pointed it out, highlighting it before attempting to either broaden the chaos around it or simply destroy it himself, often doing both in the process.
- Genius chemist and extremely skilled in strategy.
- Flawless actor/impersonator
- Took absolutely no value for money, power, anyone besides Batman, and even his own life, which made him impossible to intimidate, interrogate, bargain with, or persuade.
- Incredible tolerance for physical pain, which made fights with him unusually long.
Batman's Profile of The JokerEdit
"I prepared for muggers, killers, thieves. Criminals, increasingly extreme in their methods and personality. But I never imagined someone like "The Joker". There is no information on him in any criminal database. As far as records go, it's as if he stepped out of thin air. He appears to be a highly resourceful psychopath with a sadistic intelligence, who delights in causing chaos, destruction and human suffering. Skilled with explosives and firearms. He displays personality traits consistent with criminal insanity, though his mental instability did not hinder his ability to infiltrate and take over Black Mask's criminal organization. His capacity for wanton destruction makes him a threat to the entire city. He must be stopped."
Batman: Arkham OriginsEdit
As Black MaskEdit
- "They say crime doesn't pay-but someone oughtta the check the good commissioner's pockets-'cause they're LINED with MY money."
- "And what have I got to show for it, huh? My own men in the slammer? Not no more. No. Tonight- we're making some changes. Some big changes."
- "Part of me just wants to flip that switch. But it is Christmas Eve...and he is the Calendar Man-... and that's just too perfect to ignore."
- "You're going to owe me for this, Julian. And that could be...useful." (Calendar Man)
- "Bring him in, Bring him in!"
- "You may have, Gillian. But, uh, things have-changed. We're starting with a clean slate-and you're not on it." (Gillian Loeb)
- "Show's over, boys. Let's go."
- "I told you to grab the memory card!" (Killer Croc)
- "It had better be or the next thing that gets smashed will be your face!" (Killer Croc)
- "You know I murdered your commissioner tonight, right? So what makes you think I give two farts what some dumbass dirty cop's gotta say?"
- "You know what I know? What I know is that I don't like balance. Balance is boring and boring is a four-letter word in my book."
- "No, Balance-balance is what's wrong with this city. We need to upset the balance, kick it over, light it on fire, and then see what comes scurrying out."
- "Never better. I've got a new lease on life! Granted, it came with some added mileage, but beggars can't be choosers!"
- "So it is! Good job! Observation and initiative are the keys to advancement. I have my eye on you!"
- "Think you can just waltz into my bank, huh?" (Batman)
- "The Joker? Never heard of him."
- "How 'bout you, doll? Know the Joker?" (Gotham Merchant's Bank Manager)
- "And you, sir? Name Joker ring a bell?" (Roman Sionis)
- "Friends, assassins. Welcome to our first quarterly performance review."
- "As you can see here: Batman deaths are coming in far below projections."
- "We are really going to have to turn this around."
- "Can't...you just...play along!?!" (Roman Sionis)
- Well, technically, it's *my* operation now. Isn't that right boys?
- "Oh life would be so simple if you were all I wanted. No- you're just a teeny little distraction- compared to what I've got up my sleeve.
- "Here! Have a laugh on me." (Throws the Gotham Merchant's Bank Manager over to Batman)
- "Do you hear that? Sounds like eight tiny reindeer."
- "I'm sorry, I'm sorry. Must be a bad connection. I thought I heard you say that after I SHOT HIM, and BLEW UP a building on him, THE BAT- SOMEHOW SURVIVED?!!?"
- "Well, since I know that's IMPOSSIBLE, I'm going to let you reconcile my vision of reality, with your version of reality, and in case your pea-brain can't parse big words, I'll translate it into thug-speak for you: KILL THE BAT, OR I'LL KILL YOU!"
- "As your new commander in chief, I've got one simple order for you... no one gets out of that bank alive."
- "I hope you boys bought your shovels. You might have to dig the Bat out before ya put him down!"
- "This is it! An opportunity to make your new boss happy. Bring me the Bat!"
- "Alright, my living room needs a new rug... So bring me the body of the Bat!"
- "Question: how many dim wits does it take to find a Bat? Answer: just one. The dim wit opens his mouth and the Bat magically appears to shut him up for good."
- "It warms my heart knowing that you're still kicking, Batman! There's still plenty of fun to be had out there tonight and I'd hate to see it all go to waste."
- "Oh, I'm glad you're still fighting, Batman! I put a lot of work into this night and it would be a shame to see it end prematurely."
- "Bravo on the daring rescue of our giggling bank manager, Batman. I'm sure she enjoyed those extra three seconds of life."
- "I guess I wasn't clear when I said that I wanted the BAT DEAD!"
- "BATMAN! So glad to know you're still moving."
- "Hark now hear, the Batman sings! It's a song of broken bones, shattered limbs, and arms in a sling!"
- "For a bunch of tough-as-nails street thugs you sure go down easy. It's a wonder Black Mask stayed in business!"
- "Eh. So much for my crack team of vicious mobsters. The only things I hear cracking are tibias and fibulas."
- "Since you can't find Batman, maybe you could at least find the lucky fella he just introduced his fist to?"
- "If I'd known thugs would get this rough, I'd of dumped my fifty million into the full-body cast supplier market."
- "Hurry! Batman's just had his way with one of you!
- "Now that's a spicy meat-a-ball!"
- "Well, sounds like I can cross 'hear a grown man cry' off my Christmas list. Thanks, fellas!"
- "Well, that's three names I can cross off my Christmas list. If the rest of you want your presents I suggest you get naughty."
- "You numbskulls are messing up my plans!"
- "Must I do everything myself?!"
- "Ugh. That didn't take long. Maybe I should've left a few more of Black Mask's men goons alive, huh?"
- "I believe the begging is about to begin. Wait for it..."
- "It's mano-mano time! Or perhaps more like mano-a-bat-o."
- "And by we I mean YOU." (Electrocutioner)
- "Got that, Mr... Cutioner?" (Electrocutioner)
- "I'm the guy with the money-... And the gun!" (Electrocutioner)
- "So when I hire you to kill the Batman, you shut the hell up and kill the Batman!" (Electrocutioner)
- "So, do you have-anything-else to contribute?" (Electrocutioner)
- "I didn't think so." (Electrocutioner)
- "Mmmm! This fruitcake is fantastic!"
- "Anyone want a piece?"
- "Alright. Meeting's adjourned. Get out there and kill the Bat."
- "Move it along, big boy." (Bane)
- "Well, this should be interesting. Wee!"
- "Well, would you look what the Bat dragged in?! You know you are a little late for supper. Lucky for you, your dear friend Bane just REFUSED to start the meal without you. Apparently, he prefers his dishes served cold."
- "So, let's see! That's two hotel employees rescued for you, and...oh my, I'm still WAAAAY ahead in the employees killed column."
- "I know it's tempting with all these goodies lying around but don't go helping yourself to a gift. They're not for you!"
- "There, there...Don't feel left out! I've got a special gift just for you right up here-...and it's wrapped in about four hundred pounds of muscle."
- "Uh-oh, Batman. Hurry! Someone's about to get shot!"
- "Looks like the one getting shot is you! A sucker born every minute!" [after Batman gets shot with the gun turret]
- "Well this is unfortunate. For you, I mean. For me, it's-it's all entertainment!" (after Batman used the Disruptor to disable the gun turret)
- "Where'd Sionis find these guys? Oh sure, they talk a big game, but put any of them in the old electric chair and they bawl like little girls. Trust me, I've done the research."
- "Incredible. They really outdid themselves with this penthouse suite. The bathroom has three kinds of soap! I mean, who has time for all that cleaning!? I usually just hop into a vat of acid and call it a day."
- "Like what I've done with the place? I know, I know, it's a bit much. What can I say? I can be a tad...compulsive...from time-to-time."
- "Where did I get all this you ask? Well-I got a great deal on an out-of-service amusement park. You should have seen the look on the real estate agent's face when we shook hands on the deal!"
- "Hmm...well technically that was cheating, but...ah, what can I say? I got a soft spot for cheaters! So bravo, Batman. Bra-vo."
- "HA HA HA! Nice try. No way out of there! Guess you'll just have to wait right where you are until I start sending the hotel guests through. That'll be a scream."
- "Aren't you resourceful? Now play fair. Don't make me take your little belt away." (after Batman solved the puzzle in the West Tower-Ballroom)
- "Woo, now this one's my personal favorite. Reminds me of my childhood-the taste of the kettle corn, the clickitty-clack of the rides, the stench of the dead vagrants they found under the boardwalk-Oh, the good old days."
- "When you were a kid did ever try burping the national anthem? I was never any good at it. But this gentleman claims he was. Just for fun let's see how well he does while we electrocute him!?"
- "I think the one little thing you need to work on is that sense of humor. You haven't smiled once tonight. And you know what they say: A smile a day keeps the reaper away."
- "Feels like you should be done, doesn't it? You run roughshod through my Christmas attraction, and now you can't even find the door? The sad part is, there is no door. That's right. NO ONE gets out. I'll admit, it kills to repeat business, but then...so do the rides."
- "You want to know the awful truth? I've only been in Gotham for a few days-and I've already accomplished so much more than you in the-what has it been- 2 years that you've been doing the whole costume thing. Roman Sionis? Gone. Loeb? Whoa. He was corrupt to the core. Got rid of him. That warden at Blackgate? Pretty sure he'll be facing charges after what I made him do tonight."
- "You know-it's amazing what you can get done when you don't concern yourself with right and wrong. When you just...do things for a laugh. That's your problem, Batman-and it's hurting your efficacy: You're far too serious."
- "So. You've made it to the end of my little carnival ride. Unfortunately, you're supposed to be dead by now. Will you excuse me while I just go shoot the architect. Come here...you little..." (Murders "architect" henchmen)
- "Oh, no! You found my snowman bombs!"
- "You just couldn't wait till New Years, huh? Guess the fireworks are going off early!" [after Batman tries to disarm Joker's bombs with the Cryptographic Sequencer]
- "You know, Batman, I had the prefect little ambush set up for you and these idiots went ahead and ruined it! Ha! Oh well- time to improvise!"
- "Ooo. So greedy! You've didn't have to kill ALL my men, Bane-brains! There's plenty of Bat to go around."
- "You know, we've been up here waiting, and your boss Bane hasn't jumped into this huge pile of money once. Not once!"
- "So glad your boss and I could work things out. He gets the Bat, and I get to chat with you fine fellows!"
- "Okay, who feels like dishing? I mean, I heard rumors about what happened in that library in Pena Duro. Anyone care to elaborate?"
- "So tell me, which of you are looking forward to seeing the inside of a prison cell again? I understand that's what Batman has in store for you."
- "You are such a confident bunch. But we'll have to check your underpants when this is all over."
- "Batman! You've arrived just in time to not save any of my men from Bane's ruthless Pena Duro mercenaries."
- "Well look at that! Another one of Bane's boys bites the dust. I'm shocked. Oh. Wait. No I'm not."
- "You'll have to excuse me, I guess I wasn't explicitly told that if you happen to see the Bat you can FIGHT BACK!"
- "Attention shoppers! Batman's just taken out another member of your crew. Clean up in aisle three."
- "You boys got a problem standing upright? Cuz Batman just tipped over another one."
- "I don't think he's gonna be getting up after THAT."
- "On the off chance you make it out of here alive, Batman- I've got something really special planned for you!"
- "This is, without a doubt, the most pathetic display I've ever had the fortune of witnessing! HA! I love it!"
- "Gotta say, I am impressed with you fellas. I mean, you all scream like real men."
- "Don't wear yourself out on the appetizer, Batman. You've still got to handle the main course!"
- "Awwwww. Look at the little Bat fly! All right. Enough looking. Clip the bastard's wings!"
- "You're three steps closer to your death Batman. What's your hurry?"
- "I don't think Bane whips you fellas often enough."
- "Okay, this was kinda fun at first, but now it's just getting boring. Finish 'em off already!"
- "In a not-at-all shocking turn of events, Bane's boys prove to be as brain dead as their boss!"
- "Nice of you to drop in-and just in time."
- "Eh-eh. Remember, you gave your word."
- "Do they even have manners where he comes from?"
- "You see, it's a tradition in my house-to open one present each on Christmas Eve."
- "Hmm...How about...this one?"
- "And a partridge in a pear tree!"
- "None-I think. That was just a little stocking-stuffer-a construction site blocking my view."
- "But this one isn't."
- "And now, the moment you've all been waiting for... I present to you, the death of the Bat-Man!"
- "Uh guys-can we move this along? I've got buildings to explode." (Batman and Bane)
- "Yes. Now beat it out of him!" (to Bane about Batman)
- "Yours is not to reason why, just DO IT."
- "T'was the night before Christmas, and all through the house, not a creature was stirring, not even a...well, a bat was stirring, but a few more blows to the head and he won't be anymore."
- "Ooo! Hahahaha! He hit you so hard it hurt me!" (to Batman about Bane)
- "Not much hope for the Batman, folks. Only a Christmas miracle can save him now."
- "Oh, come on! At least make a fight out of it! I want my money's worth! Fifty million dollars worth!"
- "Looks like this is it. It was nice knowin' ya. Actually, no it wasn't."
- "I'm looking for a few good men. But I'll settle for you slug-monkeys."
- "Okay, I'm getting bored now, Let's put a bow on it and call the casket maker, shall we?" (Joker to Batman)
- "Now this is what I call a party!" (shooting at GCPD helicopters with an assault rifle)
- "Just where do you think you're going? Huh?" (Joker to Bane after Bane jumps into a helicopter piloted by his henchmen to escape the GCPD)
- "Oh! Back for more, eh?" (Batman)
- "Now...Why? Why? Why would you do that?" (after Batman rescued Joker from falling to his death)
- "Newsflash: I'm the one who's trying to kill you!"
- "Those were two VERY bad men. The things they've done...You really don't want to know. They deserved death-just like me."
- "I think he's talking to you." [to Batman about Officer Branden]
- "Who?" (to Harvey Bullock)
- "My partner!?" (to Harvey Bullock)
- "You know, officer......I was wondering the same thing myself." (to Harvey Bullock)
- "Tell me something dear-have "you" ever had a really bad day?" (to Dr. Harleen Quinzel)
- "You of all people should know - there's nothing so CRUEL as MEMORY. The pointy, bitey little THUNDERBOLTS. Unwanted party crashers, SCREAMERS through your synapses. Inescapable, unrelenting...not at all friendly. You can't even escape into MADNESS!"
- "And then you meet someone who changes your life-And you feel that you don't even know who you are anymore. Isn't it funny how one encounter can CLEAVE off little pieces of your past, DEFORM your memories and persona until you rethink your whole identity - and as you realize how foolish it all is - your LAUGHTER reverberates off the walls of your own emptiness."
- "That sounds...delightful."
- "Now that's a little trite, isn't it?"
- "My favorite stage." (Acceptance)
- "Oh, I know her better than most." (Kubler-Ross)
- "Scrambled eggs." (Family)
- "A door mat. A cat hat. A cellophane-bodysuit. And electrodes." (Humility)
- "Gunpowder. Lots of gunpowder." (Obsession)
- "Purple sequins." (Truth)
- "Bathroom stalls-by the seaside that smell vaguely of sea salt and artificial lemon scent of cleaning products." (Betrayal)
- "You want to know something funny? I used to think of Fate as EVIL-predetermined-not by some higher power, but by the rules of human NATURE. But tonight, that's all changed."
- "Have you ever had the feeling that your entire life has been building towards this one moment?"
- "Well now, yes. Now I realize that all the BATTLES, the BAD DAYS, the BRUTALITIES- it was all the hand of Fate at work."
- "Absolutely. Now I understand. There are no chance encounters. It was all meant to be. Everything leading up to who I've met tonight!"
- "Yes. And you might say it's changed EVERYTHING."
- "Absolutely. I mean, do you realize what a vile world we live in? How lonely it is to wade through all the wretch and filth on your own?"
- "Of course. Of course! You understand! Even in a crowd of other screwballs, you're so alone that you can kick, claw, yell, scream at the top of your lungs-and no one cares. It's like you don't even exist. I feel..."
- "Sometimes I feel like I'm trapped on a path leading nowhere-into just emptiness. But now..."
- "Yes, yes-and this person has shown me an exit ramp on this road to madness. A way to a far more interesting place."
- "I feel adrift- floating -like someone's pulled the stopper on my reality and I'm SUCKED down the drain into something new. It's all very exciting really. You wouldn't know what that feels like, I'm sure."
- "It's like meeting someone I can actually relate to-...which believe me, dear, I've NEVER felt before."
- "You understand. You're someone who's not afraid to let go-and fall."
- "Free falling. And I didn't pack a chute."
- 'Do you know what I mean?" (to Dr. Harleen Quinzel)
- "I figured you would." (to Dr. Harleen Quinzel)
- "Someone very, very special, but whose real name I don't even know yet!" (to Dr. Harleen Quinzel about Batman)
- "What a pretty name. Do your friends call you Harley?"
- "Well, Harley, you got one now."
- "Ho, Ho, Ho! Ha, ha, ha, ha! It's me again with a little Christmas reminder. If you all want to get out of here alive tonight, what are you going to do?"
- "Very good! And how do I want this stocking-stuffer delivered? Alive or-dead?"
- "That's right! What good little elves you all are. Santa's going to have a nice surprise for you when he gets what he wants!"
- "Now some of you might remember that three hours ago I was asking for the Bat's severed head in a dainty gift bag. Well, I don't want you thinking I'm capricious or anything- it's just a lot's changed in my life recently. I'd love to tell you all about it, but I don't quite understand it myself, so let's just chalk it up as a Christmas Miracle!"
- "Okay! Time for some introductions. Batman, meet the prisoners. Prisoners, meet the Batman. Now prisoners please kill the Batman."
- "Hmmm. Looks like the Bat's shown up early for our little rendezvous. Do me a favor and keep him busy while I finish up in here?"
- "This is a little game I like to call KILL OR BE KILLED. Here's how it works: You kill Batman or I kill you! Got it?"
- "I know everyone's anxious to open their presents, but there's just one more thing we have to do: KILL THE BAT!"
- "Okay everyone! Acting Warden Joker here. So happy you all chose to stick around for the final show."
- "Jingle bells, Batman smells, Gotham’s quite a mess! Blackgate’s mine and you’re out of time, which means you’ll soon be dead! Hahahaha!"
- "Where, oh where, has my little Bat gone? Where, oh where, can he be? His cowl, his scowl, his temper so foul, I hope that he's coming for me!"
- "Come on, Batman-just a few more steps until you witness what I have in store for you! Bet your spine is tingling with anticipation! I know mine is-like a young boy obsessing over that big, mysterious present under the tree. And what a mystery it is."
- "You may not realize this, but you-you really opened my eyes. Here I thought I was hitting level ten-the tippity top of the fun scale...slaughtering gangsters, killing cops, exploding buildings. But now I know that the scale goes beyond ten. WAY beyond! How much is anyone's guess, but together, you and me-we are going to push it as far as it will go."
- "So don't keep me waiting. If there's one thing, I hate, it's an unsolved mystery."
- "I. I understand you."
- "You had a chance to let me die and you didn't take it-I bet right now you're wishing you had. I've killed-a LOT of people, brought the city to it's knees, crippled the police force and it's not even time to unwrap our presents!"
- "Zip it!"
- "Ok. Ok. So. What our friend Bane holds in his hand is-a heart monitor. Once he clamps it on, every beat of his vacant little heart will charge the battery-...on this electric chair. And when it's fully charged-[mimicks being electrocuted]"
- "So either you kill Bane-"
- "Oh. And-just in case either of you were thinking of getting smart-try to remove the heart monitor-and...KABOOM! More minced meat on the walls than a house made of hamburger. How's that for a helpful hint, Bats?"
- "He is on a roll!"
- "Woo! Look at him go!"
- "Jim, Jim, Jim, Jim. Have a seat, Jimbo. We'll fry together - like two little potato latkes."
- "All aboard the Bane train!"
- "Better hurry, Bats! That heart ain't going to stop beating on it's own!"
- "Well, Jimbo, things ain't looking so good. Anyone you want to say good-bye to? Wife? Kids?
- "Buh-Bump! Buh-Bump! C'mon, Jim! Say it with me! Buh-Bump! Buh-Bump! Buh-Bump! Buh-Bump!"
- "Can we focus on the task in hand? He's the guy over there, in all-black!"
- "Uh oh, Bats. I think I feel a tingle!"
- "Toot! Toot! Watch out for the Bane train!"
- "He did it!" [assumes Batman killed Bane]
- "How 'bout I put you down?" [tries to shoot Warden Joseph with Gordon's gun]
- [sees that Gordon has taken the bullet for Warden Joseph] "Well that's the Christmas Spirit!"
- "Well, I'd love to stay and celebrate your victory, but I've got stockings to stuff, mistletoe to hang-and about fifteen skyscrapers to blow up before sunrise. Ciao."
- "Oh bats What a night!"
- "Fresh off a kill and back for more, eh?"
- "Now that's not FUNNY."
- "All this - all this rage. All directed at me, and for what? You know if you'd actually let me finish a sentence, You might learn something. You might learn that we're not so different. You might even learn something about yourself."
- "You know it's sad, really-makes me feel like you don't care to see the good side of me."
- "Well, I guess learning is a lot to ask from you, meat-for-brains." [cocks gun]
- "Is all this for you or for me? You must know that I'm a lost cause. But there's still hope for you. Yes. I've got great hopes for you. So c'mon. Don't stop now! What are you waiting for?"
- "You know you want it. You know I want it. So just do it already!"
- "It's better than any therapy session, Bats. So go on, do it!"
- "You're not playing along, Bat-Man!"
- "You just can't get it through your thick skull! We both exist because of them!!"
- "That's why you do it, isn't it? You like the way it feels. It's what you need."
- "Come on baby! Beat me 'til your knuckles bleed... And why quit there? You know there's only one way to stop me."
- "Stopped his heart. That is funny. Good one, Bats. Oh, this is going to be fun."
Batman: Arkham Origins MultiplayerEdit
Joker's Encrypted TransmissionEdit
- 1st transmission: "So glad you're of my little criminal créme de la créme. Love your work. My previous employees, dear boys, they try their best, but they're just thugs, street punks. Not the brightest or the best. But you, why you're a cut-above. You're my elite. With you. I can take down Bane and the BAT. Do what you do best, and you'll go far. I've arranged for you to receive a little something. On the house."
- 2nd transmission: "My, my...aren't we doing well? Keep this up, kid, and you'll be in line for...OK, mainly more killing. But isn't it fun! Hahahaha. But seriously. fine work, son. Greatness awaits! I'm sending you a mere token of my esteem."
- "Well, they've rumbled our little poison brew-ha-ha funfair. Let's take them for a ride. Defend it with your lives!" - Joker's Amusement Park
- "This overgrown chemistry-set is brewing venom, I say we seize it grown us a super-gang. Anyone spoils the fun, shoot them." - Wayne Chemical Plant
- "There's a laugh-riot going on at Blackgate Prison. Time to make it ours."-Blackgate
- "What kind of maniac wants to break into a prison, take control of the place don't let Bane or Heroes stop you." - Blackgate
- "This place holds an army of mechanical guardians, just make sure there're working for us hmm." - Wonder City Factory
- "Keep killing Bane's goons until there are none left. And watch out for those caped creeps."
- "Kill all of Bane's gang and capture the Control Points to stop them from reinforcing. Don't let Batman or Robin stop you, or I pull the plug on this mission."
- "We have majority control, keep it up boys."
- "We've got the advantage boys, now keep it!"
- "Haha, haha that's giving them one for keep it up."
- "Bane's gang have majority control, stop them!"
- "Bane's gang have the upper hand, do something or else."
- "Bane's Gang has the upper hand, get it back!"
- "Bane's gang got Robin! They have reinforcements!"
- "Bane's gang got the Bat! That's bad news for us, boys!"
- "The heroes are gaining, the advantage I hate that fight back!"
- "The heroes have you running scared, fight back or I'm scrubbing this mission!"
- "I promoted one of you to be captain no hard feelings the rest of you, if the heroes get him it will very bad for us."
- "Don't let the Heroes get your Captain. If they do, I might have to scrub this caper. Which won't be good news for YOU."
- "Protect the Captain. If the Heroes take him down, I might cancel the mission. Which would be BORING. And probably fatal for you. So you know..."
- "One of you is captain, not you... But protect the one who is! Or I might just cancel this party, oh aren't I a fickle."
- "I promoted you to be captain, don't let the heroes get you that'll be very bad for us."
- "Well now, you're making such an impression, the Bat himself is after you. Give him my regards! But kill him."
- "Your admiral bloodlust has drawn the attention of those cape buffons, careful now."
- "So the heroes got you that makes me sad, no wait the other one ANGRY!"
- "Well the heroes got you don't let it happen again, MHUHAHAHAHA!"
- "Heroes got your captain, that's not good."
- "You do know you could FIGHT BACK!" (Says when taken out for the first time)
- "This is our last chance boys, DON'T MESS IT UP!"
- "No more reinforcements."
- "Make me proud boys and/or stay alive."
- "It's getting sticky here, watch your backs boys."
- "Horray holiday! Reinforcements in your way!" (When an Elite kills a hero)
- "You killed Batman? Excellent news."
- "You killed Robin? Excellent news!"
- "We got Robin! Oh, GOODY!"
- "We got Batman, Take that good guys!"
- "We got Robin, Take that good guys!"
- "We got Batman, Splendid!"
- "We got Robin, Splendid!"
- "We got Batman, now everyone knows not to mess with us."
- "Entry Door marked."
- "Either me or Bane is behind that door. Better make sure it's me, eh?"
- "Perhaps I need to delicate myself, get to the marked door" (When losing)
- "Must I do everything myself?"
- "Did someone call for me? Well I'm here now, mhuhahaha!"
- "Too late, Bane's got the door first."
- "Here's one for the volt, haha!"
- "How shocking!"
- "Bane gang down one, thanks to me."
- "Electrifying haha!"
- "Got a Bane thug."
- "Bye, bye Robin." (After killing Robin)
- "Wohoo I've got Batman, now what I"m I suppose to do?" (After Killing Batman)
- "Is it a bird, a plane? Nope it's just Robin."
- "Ooh Bats I have something for you, I'm dying to show you! do come over."
- "Ooh Batman."
- "Bye, bye Bane thug."
- "Beaten by the Bat and the Bird, this will not look good in your resume."
- "Beaten by Batman!? What good are you!?"
- "So Batman spoiled our little Funfair, no fair, NO FAIR!" - Joker's Amusement Park
- "Batman beaten you!? I'm starting to think that letting you live is such a bad idea."
- "Batman beat you!? And you didn't bring me any new toys you were terrible, awful." - Wonder City Factory
- "Beaten by Bane!? You all have some explaining to do!"
- "Beaten by that over sized luchidor!? Boys you really have to do better." - Wayne Chemical Plant
- "Bane's running my Amusement Park? He has no sense of humour he'll ruin it for everyone, and he has my toxin, that's your fault." - Joker's Amusement Park
- "You hit the jackpot boys, it's raining murderous men! This is going to be fun." - Blackgate
- "You did it! You fought them of and save my toxin, well I'm having a rollercoaster of emotions." - Joker's Amusement Park."
- "Well done boys I'm quite pleased, now let's throw us a venom party that Gotham will never forget! Haha." - Wayne Chemical Plant
- "You did it boys the venom is ours! Muhahahaha!" - Wayne Chemical Plant
- "Thanks to you we have the mechanical guardians, now I don't have to do my own clinking and clanking." - Wonder City Factory
Batman: Arkham Origins BlackgateEdit
- "Hello, valued guest!" (Batman)
- "Do you like what I've done to the place? I haven't quite finished."
- "I'm sure you'll see more of my...improvements as you go along."
- "Mm, no, I don't think so." (refuses to give Batman codes for the Crypto Sequencer)
- "I'm going to the warden's office to finish my alterations, while you go find the warden."
- "I won't even make you search, that's how gracious a host I am. The warden's in the conference room."
- "He's... tied up in a meeting, and tempers are running high. Getting explosive, you might say! HAHA!"
- "Bad timing! You just happened to show up on the day the prison decided to spray for bats!" (unleashes Joker Gas on Batman through vents)
- "You'll never foil my master plan, NEVER! Did that sound all right? I've been working on that."
- "Librarians in danger, Batman, check it out! Get it? Librarian? Check it out?"
- "Rude, Batman, very rude! Wish I could say it's been a gas, but it hasn't...THIS is a gas!" (unleashes more Joker Gas on Batman in the library after Batman rescues the hostages)
- "Has anyone ever told you that with that cape, you look just like an idiot?"
- "Do you know what it takes to be the Joker? A brilliant sense of comedy, a cunning mind, and three years of dental work!"
- "Really, Batman, there are guys who've been in the infirmary here for forty years who move faster than you do." (after Batman crosses the broken floor area flooded with Joker Gas with the Line Launcher)
- "When you scowl and hunch over and try to look all creepy like that, do anyone actually take you seriously?"
- "Is this nice? Do I come into your guano-filled wherever-you-live and pick a fight with you?"
- "Hello, Comedy Weekly Magazine? I'll have to call you back, Batman's trying to beat me up. Yes, I suppose that IS pretty funny!"
- "Live, from Blackgate, it's everyone's favorite new game show, Match or DIE! Brought to by Shermie's Squirting Flowers and Larry's Poisoned Licorice, now in new trout flavor."
- "Help me welcome our first contestant, a housewife from Pasadena who loves blue underwear and blingy belts...say hello to Batman!"
- "Here's how we play our game-solve the puzzle, and I'll give you what you need to rescue the warden!"
- "If you DON'T solve it, well, you'll leave with a lovely parting gift-a lifetime supply of dead prison officials! Ready to play? Let's match...or die!"
- "Impressive start! But you've got a long way to go!" (1st correct symbols)
- "Ooh, epic fail!" (1st incorrect symbols)
- "Luh-HOOOSER!" (2nd incorrect symbols)
- "Score one for our contestant!" (2nd correct symbols)
- "Hey, have you played this game before?" (3rd correct symbols)
- "We have GOT to start screening our contestants better." (after Batman matched the 4th symbols and wins the game)
- "Ah, Batman! Now I can officially welcome you to my new winter, summer, spring and fall home!"
- "Clearly, you saw some of my new decorations along your way here."
- "So, tell me, what do you think of the place?"
- "These are my favorite decorations. I've attached these little gas canisters on a time release to all the prison's major air conduits. It started out as riot-control gas, but I adjusted the recipe."
- "Now a small dose can give me control of the brains of the inmates and hostages."
- "A large dose will turn those brains to succotash."
- "No can do, Bats. Only the computer here can turn off the gas-a-go-go...and it can only do that with the Sequencer Codes!"
- "And I just don't know where those are. Probably packed with the pots and pans."
- "So much for a new homeowner to do!"
- "And speaking as a homeowner, I believe you qualify as a prowler on private property. And I'm within my rights to defend my property AT ALL COSTS!"
- "Okay Bats, let's get ready to RRRRRRUMBA!!!" (puts on gas mask, turns on gas canisters)
- "Ptoo! (kills both guards with 2 needles shot from his mouth into each of their necks)
- "Such a generous guard, giving me the shirt off his back." (steals dead guard's uniform)
- "All clear back there!" (Two Arkham Guards)
Batman: Assault on ArkhamEdit
- "Harley? Is it really you?"
- "Aren't you even going to say hello?"
- "Aw, I can tell you're still sore. At least the bruises cleared up nicely."
- "What's your hurry, Harl?"
- "Women. Am I right, Officer? Can't live with them. Can't even kick them out of a moving car." (Deadshot)
- "Sorry, hon. Bulletproof." (taps glass)
- "Why, Harley. If I didn't know any better I'd say you're trying to kill me.."
- "New guy?"
- "I know you. We worked together once. No, don't tell me. Umm...Deadhead? Buckshot?" *"You can have her! Bet you bought your shirt secondhand too. Ha!"
- "Is that room service? Tell them I never got my calzone."
- "So, she's got herself a new guy... After everything I've done for her! Oh, we'll see about that. I'll make 5 more just like her! I'll take her skin and put someone else in it! Oh, that perfect creamy skin... Pull yourself together, man! She mocked you right to your face! Even dared to call you.. Puddin'!"
- "Oh that darling girl! She might even deserve me." (Harley Quinn)
- "Okay babies! Let's cook!"
- "Winner, winner! Chicken dinner!"
- "Oh, Harley! I take back half of the horrible things I've done to you."
- "And boom!"
- "I'm just going to slip into something more comfortable. So no peeking!" (shoots guard)
- "Best gun ever."
- "Denzel! What have they done to you?" (Black Spider)
- "I know that sound. Someone's flossing their brain!"
- "I'm here, Bitches! And I've brought favors for everybody!"
- "I think this was yours, Deadhead. Finders keepers!"
- "Don't you "puddin'" me. I go away and suddenly you've got new friends! Even picked a new guy!"
- "You! New guy! I don't like people touching my stuff!"
- "I am not!"
- "Hold on! Stop counting for a second! I know there are bullets. See?"
- "Mallet!" (holds gun to Harley's head)
- "It's time for a very big bang!"
- "Sibilance! Testing! Sibilance!"
- "I know you can see me, Bats. Hope you brought protection, cuz I'm about to give Gotham a terminal case of tainted love that's REALLY gonna blow."
- "And just in case you were thinking of stopping me, I figured I'd invite some friends to my big blowout."
- "Going my way, handsome?"
- "Cute kid. Hope she doesn't take being an orphan too hard."
- "You know she's gonna kill us, right?"
- "Uh oh!"
- "Stop me if you heard this one."
- "For someone who's not Batman, you've been a real pain in my ass!"
- "Deuces, new guy!"
Batman: Arkham AsylumEdit
- "Stand back, fool! I've got a bomb...Oh, right. Heh, heh, heh..." (Remembered why Batman captured him)
- "Hey, Sharpie! Love what you've done with the place!" (Warden Quincy Sharp)
- "Yo, Frank-ay. How's the wife and kids. Ya miss me?" (Frank Boles)
- "Really, I don't mind walking!" (Taken by Arkham Guards)
- "Not so tight, boys. You'll crease the suit." (Strapped to a gurney)
- "Sharpie loves his cameras. Hey, Sharpie! You getting my good side? But heck, they're all good, aren't they?"
- "Look at all this new security. How's a guy supposed to break out of here?"
- "Oh, it's always nice to return to my sweet little hausenda!"
- "Y'know what? I preferred the good ol' cavity search. Much more personal."
- "Ooo, whatcha sneak in with you, Bats? C'mon. Tell me, tell me! Batarangs? Batclaws? Ooo, Bat snacks?"
- "There'll be time enough for you later, Cash. Speaking of time, tick, tock, tick, tock. Is that a crocodile I hear?" (Aaron Cash)
- 'What's up, doc? Pencil me in for tomorrow at four. We've got a lot of catching up to do." (Dr. Penelope Young)
- "Oh, it's my favorite show. "I'm Warden Idiot." "You'll never escape." "(Pulls funny face while speaking and laughs.)
- "I'm telling you, the state of the wiring in these federal facilities is shocking. My boys over there could have been hurt in that unfortunate fire." (Blackgate Prison)
- "Boo!" (laughs)
- "Need to take my temperature? I'd be happy to drop my pants."
- "Can you smell the excitement in the air? No? Huh. Must have been one of the guards then. Croc old boy, is that you?" (Killer Croc)
- "That reminds me. I really need to get me some new shoes." (After encountering Killer Croc)
- "Whee! Great night for a party!"
- " Ha ha! The night is young, Bats. I still have a trick or two up my sleeve. I mean, dont you think it's a little bit funny how a fire at Blackgate caused hundreds of my crew to be moved here?"
- "Oh, Frankie! You really should learn to keep that fat mouth of yours shut. It'll get you into trouble!"
- "Oh, nothing much. Hundreds dying in pain and fear. All their meaningless lives brought to a horrifying conclusion. All thanks to you and a book of matches. Was that the answer you wanted?"
- "What? Don't you trust me?"
- "Only three? I'll be sure you try harder next time. What say we aim for a hundred?"
- "I think he's talking about you, Bats."
- "Don't be stranger. You're always welcome here."
- "Gotta say it's good to be back."
- "Hurry, We're losing him, Doc!"
- "The choke's on you."
- "Honey, I'm home." (Harley Quinn)
- "Welcome to the madhouse, Batman! I set a trap, and you sprang it gloriously!"
- "Now let's get this party started!"
- "Ladies and maniacs. I apologize for this interruption to your regular entertainment."
- "Up until a few seconds ago, I was going to kill everyone in the room and then watch cartoons, but then...well...you know how I do love a captive audience."
- "I'm just warming you up, Bats. Fresh from Blackgate Correctional Facility, with a combined sentence of 752 years. Ding, ding, ding ding ding! It's round 2!"
- "Sorry, Bats, gotta run. I've got places to go, people to slay."
- "Don't make promises you can't keep, Bats."
- "I'm in control of the Asylum. You're not going anywhere I don't want you to. Understand?"
- "Blah, blah, blah. Always with the hero speak. Ooh, I'm getting bored of watching you. Why don't you just come find me..."
- "What are waiting for? I'm so close you can almost taste me."
- "What took you so long?"
- "Oh!" (Dodges Batman's Batarang and laughs)
- "I'm counting on it. Just not yet!"
- "Oooh. He's a big one." (Incomplete Titan Henchman)
- "Well, that was unexpected, wasn't it? Oh well, note to self, need stronger test subjects." (Dead Incomplete Titan Henchmen)
- "Seeing as how I'm feeling generous, I'll give you this one for free."
- "Knock me off, I dare you! End this, pull the plug, stop me once and for all."
- "You're getting too predictable, Bats! Well, I'd love to stay and chat, but I've got a party to organize. I've got guests flying in from all over Arkham. You'll see."
- "Having a little trouble up there?"
- "You were expecting maybe Two-Face?"
- "Silly Bat! I don't want to escape. I'm having way too much fun. I even have you here to keep a smile on my face."
- "Really? We'll see. Ta-ta."
- "Oh, I forgot to say. Just in case you were planning on following me, I've arranged a little insurance. Gordon is on his way to Harley as we speak."
- "If I see you trying to follow me, he dies. Harley's looking forward to it. Maybe I'll film it and post it on the internet."
- "I bet you're wondering how I did it. Was it a clue the great detective missed?"
- "Oh, me and Frankie go way back. I got him out of a spot of...bother a few years ago."
- "So, when I need security codes, or an old man to be clubbed to the ground, I know just the man to ask."
- "Hold one second, I'll see if I can find him."
- "I'm sorry. I've looked everywhere, but I can only find his head! I'll get back to you when I find the rest of him."
- "Hey, Bats. I know you can hear me. I've got a little something for you to listen to. Harley and Frank are nearly out of the building with the old man. How are they going to get past all those guards? Let's have a listen, shall we?"
- "Stop flirting with the hired help, Harley."
- "Did you hear that, Bats? Sounds like Frankie is working out just fine! Another valuable employee for the organization."
- "Good. Our friendly neighborhood rodent is on his way. You need to set a trap. He must not leave this building. Do you understand me?"
- "I hope you keep your promises, boy. I'd hate to go and punish your family just to teach you a lesson. I can promise you they won't be laughing."
- "Just do it! And have fun, I know I will."
- "Oh, look who it is! Are your pointy ears burning?"
- "I suppose I'd better tell my boys you're on the way. Hey, maybe I won't...It'll be a nice surprise!"
- "Joker here with a quick update on what's new in the asylum."
- "Some idiot is running around the asylum dressed like a bat. I know. Crazy! Stop him before he gets someone hurt. Really. It's for his own good."
- "Do you really think it was going to be that easy, Bats? I've sent a few more of my boys your way. Let's see how you deal with these odds!"
- "I like you boys. What you lack in brains, you make up in heart. Oh, and speaking of heart… bring me Batman's."
- "Oh, boo! You win again, Bats. Well, savor it. I'll get you next time."
- "Greetings, Gotham. This is the voice of your new master. Oh, hang on...I've skipped a bit!"
- "Joker here! I'm in control of Arkham Island and you can all consider it out of bounds. If I see any lawmen, vigilantes or do-gooders in tights coming this way, I'll start detonating random bombs around the city."
- "What'll it be? A kindergarten? A hospital? A billionaire's mansion? Oooh, choices, choices, choices."
- "Hmm. Harley tells me that the Batman's car is still parked just outside of the Intensive Treatment building. Now, we can't just have him up and leave us, can we?"
- "Every thug, villain, murderer, and kindergarten teacher that isn't carrying out party orders should head there now and smash it to pieces."
- "The entire island will soon be under my control. That's right, boys and girls. Mine. Mine, mine, mine, mine, mine. Just wait till you see my plans for this place. It's going to be glorious."
- "I just want everyone to know that I really appreciate all the hard work. You know, watching you guys is like a night in, watching my favorite movie. What was the name of that movie again? Oh, yes. Attack of the stupid bumbling idiots who can't find an even bigger idiot running around dressed like a bat. Now get to it. I'm getting bored."
- "Joker here! Let me remind all new residents of Joker Asylum that they are expected to follow 1 simple rule. Punishment for not following this rule is death. No ifs, ands or buts. You know what the best thing is about the rule? It's a secret."
- "Good evening, ladies and gentlemen. I'm getting troubling reports of a bat infestation in Joker Asylum. Let me remind everyone that it is their civic duty to exterminate this vermin. We can't have it making its way back to the mainland."
- "I'm just sitting here watching cartoons. If any of you Blackgate rejects is bored, come over and see me. Don't look up when you open the door. It'll spoil the surprise and my experiment."
- "I'm having a great time. You guys just make it look too easy, like you're not even trying. Which is not what I pay you to do. Find everyone. Now."
- "Anyone seen the big bad Bat? I warn you. He may look like an idiot and talk like an idiot, but don't let that fool you. He really is an idiot."
- "Hello, I'm Warden Idiot. Here at Idiot Asylum, there's only rule. You'll never leave us!"
- "Joker here. Remember. I'm watching all of you. Wherever you are. Even you. Yes, you!"
- "Paging Dr. Howard. Dr. Fine. Dr. Howard."
- "What's he doing here? It's too early!"
- "Oh, you little minx, I could never stay mad at you."
- "Five... Four... Three... Two... One... BOOM! Just kidding!" (Laughs hysterically)
- "Tell me, Bats. What are you really scared of? Failing to save this cesspool of a city? Not finding the Commissioner in time? Me, in a thong?"
- "Oh, there you are!" (Batman)
- "I've been waiting for you, listening to Zsasz make the good doctor scream while you played around in Scarecrow's world."
- "How was it this time? Learn anything about yourself? Oh, tell me. Pull up a seat! Talk to me! I'm all ears."
- "Actually, that reminds me. I could've sworn I heard Zsasz cutting her ears off. Certainly sounded like it." (Dr. Young)
- "Zsasz.... What are you talking about? Just kill her. She's useless to me now." (Dr. Young)
- "Oh, you're not scared of a little bat, are you, Slicey?" (Victor Zsasz)
- "Yeah, stay back, Batman! You don't want more blood on your hands, do you?" (Dr. Young)
- "That's the spirit! Now stick it to her!" (Dr. Young)
- "I've waited a long time for this, Bats. Let's start the party. With a bang!" (Shoots Batman in the face with his gun)
- "Women! You give 'em presents, experimental chemicals, and nice costumes and they still turn on you."
- (Talking to Scarface)"Why didn't you stop Batman?" (switches to Scarface) "Me?! It was your plan, you goofy clown!" (switches back to himself) "I'm sending you back to the Ventriloquist where you belong!" (Throws Scarface on the ground in front of Batman)
- "You had to spoil everything, didn't you? Beating up Bane, feeding Scarecrow to Croc, slapping around my Harley, MY hobby by the way, and ruining all my lovely Venom plants!"
- "Over? Why, my dear delusional Dark Knight, it hasn't even begun!"
- "Oh! You're ruining my big night! All those months of planning down the crapper! I just wanted to bring down your grim facade, and for once let you see the world as I see it, giggling in a corner and bleeding! But you've denied me even that! I have nothing left to live for." (injects himself with Titan)
- "Show time, Batman!"
- "I can take it. I can take anything you throw at me Bats! You can't beat me I'm actually going to win. Ready for the next round?"
Visitor Center MessagesEdit
- "Come in, sit down, take off your mask."
- "So Bats, I was thinking. You really could use a friend in here. Someone to talk to, share secrets with. Shall we start with the big one? Who is that behind the mask? Why do you feel the need to go out into the world and fight people like me? Do you really think you can win? We'll see." [Laughs]
- "There were these two guys in a lunatic asylum...Oh hell, you've heard that before, haven't you?"
- "Let's just get down to business. You're probably wondering how this is all going to turn out, aren't you? Is it driving you bats, Bats? (laughs) You probably thought you could follow that idiot guard to the old man, didn't you? Sorry about that. Hang on a second. If I outsmarted you, and I am...well, quite clearly insane...what does that make you?" (laughs)
- "You're late for your appointment. Very rude. Well, seeing as you're here now, we might as well get started."
- "Tell me about your childhood. Anything stand out? Is that fear I see? Too painful? We'll come back to it later, then. So, how about Baney Boy, then? Bet you were shocked to see him, weren't you? Personally I was hoping he'd fold you up like a piece of paper and let me stamp you crazy, but even I don't get everything I want. So what was he doing here? Oh, questions, questions, questions."
- "You again? You're early!"
- "Sit down. I suppose I can squeeze you in."
- "I've been comparing notes with Doctor Crane. He seems a little worried about your progress. According to his notes, you should have come over to our side by now. What is it that keeps you going? Doesn't it ever get boring?"
- "I am afraid that I cannot attend your appointment today. Doctor Quinzel has kindly offered to sit in."
- "Let's talk about your employee relations, Bats. Harley disappointed me and now she's out of the picture. Gone. Forgotten. Dead to me. You get the idea. What's it like in your organization? Do you punish your hired help when they fail you? Or is that saucy outfit you make him wear punishment enough?"
- "Patient continues to show bizarre and irrational tendencies. On continued observation, it is clear that he believes he can in some way influence the inevitable destruction of this city. Tests prove what can only be described as a buried messiah complex. I fear he is untreatable."
- "So what will it be, Bats? You and me caught in this eternal struggle? One destined to kill the other? What will we do when one of us wins? Have you even considered it? Terrifying, isn't it?"
- "Hey, Breaking news. There's been a multiple car pileup on the Gotham freeway. Some guy is being cut out of the wreckage. Looks painful. The reporter's tell us that he's been paralyzed on one side of his body. His wife's in tears. What's she worried about? I'm sure he's going to be all right. You get it? All right!" (laughs)
- "I once went to a psychiatrist. 'Doc', I said, 'Every time I get into bed, I think there's someone under it. I get under the bed, I think there's somebody on top of it.' I was going crazy. So I cured myself. I cut the legs off my bed. And then the doctor. [laughs] Slept fine ever since."
- "A patient goes to see his doctor. 'Doc' he says, 'you've got to help me. My wife thinks she's a chicken.' The doctor asks 'How long has she had this condition?' 'Two years,' says the man. 'Then why did it take you so long to come and see me?' asked the shrink. The man shrugs his shoulders and replies, 'I needed the eggs.'"
- "You may want to do a quick head count."
- "Hide in the shadows, Bats. We're coming for you!"
- "Let's see if you've still got the moves, Bats!"
- "We'll hunt you down, Bats."
- "My crew is searching Arkham Asylum for you, Batman. I won't stop till you're dead! Or they are."
- "If you weren't hiding in the shadows like a little girl, this would be over so much faster."
- "Good evening, Gotham! And welcome to the main event."
- "I, Joker, am now in control of Arkham Island. Medical is just one part of my new empire. Anyone who disagrees with this should speak to one of my many representatives guarding you from the evil Batman."
- "If any member of Old Arkham wants to take up our special introductory offer of free cosmetic surgery, raise your hand now. One of my representatives will move you to the front of the line."
- "Don't worry, boys. If Batman actually makes it as far as Medical, you won't be hurt. Well, you may, but smile, you're just seconds away from medical care."
- "That's what I like to see, boys. Not so scared of the big bad Bat."
- "I want the entire Medical building secure. No one in or out. Do you understand?"
- "Batman's been busy. Haven't you noticed that someone's missing down there?"
- "He's taken one of you out. And not in a nice first date kind of way."
- "He's taken out two of you. Find him."
- "Have you checked the time sheets? I'm sure there were more of you at the beginning of the day."
- "You guys may want to have a look on the walkways. I think someone's left you a gift!"
- "You can do it, buddy! Let me put it this way, you'd better do it!"
- "Hey. Don't be scared. He's just a little Bat. You can take him. Probably. Well, between you and me, it's statistically unlikely, but you never know."
- [Nervous henchmen] "Is anyone feeling a little stressed down there? Your heart racing? Well, get a grip and stop the Bat or I'll fix your blood pressure. Permanently."
- "Hey, Bats. Go easy on him! Oh hell, what do I care? Do your worst."
- "Note to self. Need to order more henchmen. Good ones this time!"
- "Come on, boys. He's just one man. One man dressed like a lunatic and armed to the teeth. Go get him!"
- "What? You... oh, Bats.. I really am going to have to hunt you down and kill you one of these days!"
- "So you won, big deal. I've got much bigger plans for you."
- "Yawn-a-roony. We both know you eat punks for breakfast. I've got some real surprises waiting for you."
- "Nice moves, Bats. Thanks for showing me them."
- "So, you win again. It's a shame that while you've been fighting, I've had everyone you love brutally murdered. Only joking!"
- "Don't get too cocky, Batman. I'll get you next time."
Batman: Arkham CityEdit
- "Twinkle, twinkle, little bat. Watch me kill your favorite cat!"
- "Well, look who it is. I haven't seen you for... how long as it been? Let's see, there was an asylum, some monsters, and oh, that's right! You left me to die. Now you probably don't remember it that way, but who cares? You just need to worry about the bombs. Hurry up, now. Clock's ticking. 5! ... 4! ... 3! ... 2! ... 1! See you soon, Bats. ... What are you waiting for? We both know how this is going to turn out: you're going to come and find me. You can't stop yourself, can you? Sometimes I wonder if all this would just end with one of us looking down at the other's corpse, trying to work out what to do next? The only question is, whose body will it be? I know who I'm rooting for! [giggles] What about you? [laughs madly] Now, get out of there now, or you'll ruin everything!!!"
- "Surprise! You fell for the ol' fake Joker gag, Batman."
- "Get back here, Harley."
- "No one's who you think they are my dear. Why spoil the fun?"
- "Nice of you to say, but you of all people should know there's plenty wrong with me."
- "Is someone feeling a little down? Well, cheer up, Bats; it won't kill ya....Oops!
- "Let's make this quick, boys. I've got an important operation that I'm just dying to have done."
- "You guys are like family to me. And you know how much pain I went through killing my family."
- "Are you guys OK? It's just Batman. He's probably not ever really killed anyone. Still, you know when he plans on starting, do you?"
- "Do you really think you can just sneak through here with my delicious cure, Bats? I mean, I'm sure you can, but I know you too well, now don't I? After all, we both know you won't be able to resist crackin' a few skulls on the way through."
- "Did I ever tell you about the day I found out I was sick? No? I remember it clearly. It was that night when I first met Harley."
- "Hello? Henchmen? Can you hear me? Where are my guns? They are very important if my plan is to... Oh, are you still down there, Bats? Pity."
- "I can't believe you let him stop you! What is it? Not enough secret weapons from old Hugo?"
- "Well, that's just great. Here I am on my deathbed and you miserable fools can't even stop some idiot dressed up like a bat. I needed those guns. Now how am I going to...oops. Sorry, Bats, I nearly gave it away there, didn't I?"
- "Why do you keep doing this to me? It's like you idiots spend every single day day thinking up ways to leave me bitterly disappointed. Harley, when you get to the GCPD, kill a couple of 'em for me, will you, dear."
- "If any of you are still conscious, get back to base now."
- "Do I have to do everything myself around here? All I asked was that you stopped the stupid Batman. I managed to get a syringe of my blood in his neck for God's sake, and I'm half-dead. What's your excuse?" (coughs)
- "Well, what do you know? You did it. You took 'em all out. I should be sad, I suppose, but the truth is, I'm happy. Happier than I've been in years. How about you?"
- "Oh, come on! There's always something to learn. Let's start with 'Getting Your Ass Kicked 101'."
- "This is your big opening night, Batman. What's keeping you? Get your cute little ass to the movie theatre. NOW!"
- "Helloooo! Batman! You can hear me, right? It's just, you don't seem to be coming to the movie theatre and I'd hate for you to read the spoilers on the internet again."
- "Where are you, Batman?"
- "Well, this is just rude, Batman! I've laid on all this entertainment at the movie theatre and you can even be bothered turning up."
- "Where are you, Batman? I've got your premiere ticket right here in my pocket. It's right here, next to the gaffer tape and the pliers."
- "Why are you taking so long, Batman? Oh, hold on, I get it. You want me to off this annoying woman, right? I mean, she does go on a bit with all that I am the great blah, blah, mystical mumbo jumbo. I tell you what. I'll do it. But you owe me, OK?"
- "I'll see you soon! BYEEEE!"
- "Hurry up and take your seat, Batman. The show's about to begin."
- "Encore! More! Bravo!" (Coughs)
- "Not always, heh, well, sometimes." [coughs]
- "Confusing, isn't it? I know I'd want to know just what the hell is going on if I were you.[Laughs, then coughs] Let's just say in times like these, it's important to keep up [coughs] appearances. But first, if you would be so kind... Hand. Over. My. Cure.""
- (Spoilers)"Ladies and Gentlemen, for one night only, standing in for yours truly, ha, and doing a damn fine job of it, I bring you... CLAYFACE!"
- "You're making me late for my spa treatment. I mean, it's not like you got a girl to save anymore, is it?" [laughs] "Oh, I'm sorry, too soon?" "Would a change of scenery help ease the pain?"
- "Get out of my way, Bats. I've got a date with immortality!"
- "Quick, the cure! Oh, what are you waiting for? C'mon! I killed your girlfriend, poisoned Gotham, and hell, it's not even breakfast. But so what? We all know you'll save me."
- "Think of it as a running gag."
- "Are you happy now?"
- "That actually is...pretty funny." - Joker's final words.
Challenge Maps Edit
- "Welcome to Joker's House of Fun!"
- "Let's see what's happening tonight in Joker's Fun House!"
- "Now, who's in the soon-to-be-dead corner tonight?"
- "Who's brave enough to come here and pick a fight?"
- "Shall we see who's come here to fight tonight?"
- "It's the Bat himself! Give him a big hand!"
- "Well, what do you know? It's the caped crusader himself!"
- "It's the dark knight defective himself! Batman!"
- "It's Batman!"
- "As I live and breathe, it's Catwoman!"
- "It looks like the kitty cat has come to see just how many lives she has left!"
- "It's Catwoman!"
- "Didn't I kill you already? No? Well there's always time, right? Ladies and gentlemen, put your hands together for... Robin!"
- "It's the boy wonder! Robin!"
- "It's Nightwing!"
- "Nightwing? I was hoping for the big guy, but, I guess you'll do."
- "Who the hell are you? Just kidding! It's Nightwing!"
- "What are you trying to do down there? Put them in hospital?"
- "Someone call the hospital."
- "Does someone need a doctor down there?"
- "Keep away from the fists, boys!"
- "Try and keep away from the fists!"
- "Big deal! Anyone could do that!"
- "Now that one had to hurt!"
- "Ooh, that looked like it hurt!"
- "Can you feel that?"
- "There's more where that came from!"
- "Just give up!"
- "Someone's on a roll here!"
- "Now who's left all those dangerous-looking weapons there!"
- "Are you getting too much blood in your eyes?"
- "This will go so much quicker if you just stop fighting!"
- "Go easy on them!"
- You're supposed to be the ones hitting!"
- "This is not going my way!"
- "Hey! Take it easy on 'em!"
- [Ninja Assassins' entry] "But can you deal with Ninjas?"
- "You know what this fight needs is more ninjas!"
- "It's slice and dice time."
- "Did I hear someone ask for mystical ninja assassins?"
- [Sickle's entry]"Get ready for the heavy weight champions!"
- "Look at the size of that guy! You don't stand a chance!"
- "It's time for... me!" [Joker's entry after you get 100x combo]
- "Do you want me to come in there? Well OK then."
- "Oh, you ask for this! Just remember that, when I kick your do-gooder behind."
- "He won!? Him!? I am very disappointed, boys."
- "Not happy, boys! It's like you didn't even try to hurt him!"
- "How did he win? Did you idiots not even try to beat him!?"
- "And the winner is Catwoman. Oh, someone pass me a gun!"
- "She won? Her! How did she beat all you ugly idiots!?"
- "You let her win!? Booo!"
- "Boom! One man down. It's looking like a re-run of last time."
- "Oooh. I think I just heard someone's skull cracking against that nice hard floor. Mind the bloody puddle."
- "Is that the sound of one of your faces hitting something hard? I hope so."
- "Someone's missing in there. Is it you?"
- "Boom. And the quarterback is toast. Oh, sorry, I wasn't paying attention. Did someone just get taken out down there?"
- "I'm just dying to see which one of you losers Batman takes out first. Let me see, eenie, meenie, miney, mo."
- "That's two down. Do you realize how much it costs training you guys? It really isn't that much."
- "Three down! Not happy, boys."
- "Two? Two? You'd fit right into old melty face's gang."
- "Only one of you left. What a shame."
- "Don't let me down, boys. If you do, I may have to drop you, too."
- "I really hope you won't let me down here, boys. But if you do, I won't be cross. I'll be dead and Harley will be really upset. And seriously, you don't want to see that."
- "He's making you idiots look like fools. That's my job!"
- "At this rate, I'll be out of idiot henchmen before the end of the night."
- "You boys have got the same helpless terrified look in your eyes as my doctor did when he told me I was sick. I said, you think that's sick? Take a look at this!"
- "Do you want me to get Abramovici down there for a motivational speech? I hear that he's got a way of hammering the point there."
- "I am very disappointed in you boys. Really, you're all dead to me now."
- "Do you need a motivational speech about now? OK. I think you are all going to die down there. And this will be the last voice you hear before you cross over to the other side. And I am very, very, very disappointed in you."
Batman: Arkham KnightEdit
- "This is how it happened. This is how the Joker died."
- "Miss me?"
- "Bruce, Bruuuuce. Can you you hear me, Bruce?"
- "Oh don't act all surprised Bats, you knew this was going to happen sooner or later, me stuck deep down inside you!"
- "Together we're going to give this city what it deserves! A new Batman, a better Batman, a darker more-- Well we can come back to this later."
- "First, we need to settle on some priorities, sure you saved this city by reducing the blast, but Ace chemicals is still about to explode!"
- "You need to start looking after yourself, after all you're brooding for two now."(Laughs)
- "Oh bats I've missed you. All the subtlety and nuance of a napalm enema."
- "I've really got to hand it to Scarecrow. I've never been a fan of his concoctions up to now, but this batch, it's (chuckles) intoxicating. It really brings out the me in you." (To Batman after he leaves Ace Chemicals.)
- " I can't wait to see the look on his face when you tell him his daughter's been kidnapped and it's all your fault! This is going to be classic!"(About Oracle being kidnapped by Scarecrow)
- "You've got to tell him it's your fault at some point, Bats and the great thing is i'll be standing right there when you do."
- (Flashback)"Candy Gram! Oh don't pass out just yet, show a little spine! Just wait till your father gets home. He's going to be furious after all this mess. (Joker crippling Barbara Gordon)
- "Nothing like a trip down old memory lane, Eh Bats? And now a front row seat to the main event!
- "You would've thought old Jim Gordon had been through enough. First a handsome young maniac cripples his daughter, now he's blaming himself for her being taken.
- "You really should tell him it's your fault, Bats. I'm sure he'll understand. I mean, it's not like you got his daughter killed. Well, not yet anyway the night's still young".
- "i think that went quite well , considering. Of course I wouldn't have told him, but that's why it's so liberating being me! You've got a lot to look forward to, Bats."
- "Now that I think about it how did Scarecrow know to go after your IT department? I mean, I had no idea she worked for you when I shot her. I just got lucky."
- "Oh Bats, how very me of you. Though I can see why you didn't tell him after ol' Jimbo's hysterical overreaction."(To Batman, not telling Robin about Barbara)
- "So let's recap Barbara's kidnapped. And lets face it probably dead. You're lying to lover boy wonder about it and dear old Jim's marched off to save the day. Not your best day at the office, Bats. What;s wrong something on your mind?"
- "You really think he's gonna fix your nasty case of Joker-Itis. Not a chance. I'm chronic Brucie. I'm lingering. We both know there's no cure for me."
- "Can you remember when it was simple? Back in the old days when it was just you, me, a regular war against crime. Well take a look, Bats. Things change. Now it's war with you standing right in the center".
- "Remember Talia? Of course you do. How could you forget a girl like that! All it took was one piece of lead to end your hopes if a happily ever after. You blamed me of course, but you were wrong."
- "You put her in my crosshairs Bats. Sure she didn't do herself any favors, but it was you. You see people trust you. They believe in you.They follow you into your war and you, you are about to get them all killed!" (To Batman about his "Family")
- "OK this is it, Scarecrow's just down there. So are you gonna stop him and save Oracle? Or am I going to get another hit of that delicious gas as you watch helpless as she dies? How do we decide?
- "Maybe it's already happened. Look at me! I'm amazing! And this body I can't believe how strong it is!"(After briefly taking over Batman's body)
- "Come on finish him, look at him he's no better than the creep who killed your parents, you need to do something, You need to stop him. Good." (Trying to convince Batman to kill Scarecrow in a hallucination)
- "I prefer to call it a work in progress, but it does show potential."( To Scarecrow's comment about Batman's change)
- "What? We hurry all this way and Crane's killed her already!? He's got no sense of occasion." (When Batman sees Oracle in an illusion)
- "He heard you. He's wondering how he can live with himself.
- "Oh you can't bring her back. Let Uncle J take charge. No more bad memories. No more pain. No more fear. Scout's honor!( Trying to take over Batman)
- "Oh,no!"(Disappointed in Batman he's still trying to save Gotham with Poison Ivy)
- "I thought for sure you were going to tell him. Come clean like you did with Gordon. But you realized why break him now, when we can crush him later. It's classic Joker. Something beautiful truly is happening, Bats.(To Batman about not telling Robin about Barbara's death)
- "Poor Harley, wasting time on those not-pale imitations when I'm right here in you! What;s confusing me is how the hell she found your top-secret Bat base, Bat face? She couldn't find her own reflection when I was ALIVE. It's like something was holding her back."
- "Ahhh, memories......You, me and a ward full of psychotic killers. You've never felt so at home have you?"
- "Oh, come on! You think you're different because you never killed anyone? Newsflash! You killed me! I was there remember? You destroyed my cure, right in front of me! Watched me choke on my last laugh.
- "And then after killing me, you said you would've shared! You couldn't admit I'd won could you? Not even as a parting gift.....But now I'm on the inside, ooh we both know the truth. Yes, you've killed before. And tonight I'll make you do it again!
Game Over LinesEdit
- "Awww. Too bad. So sad!" (to Batman)
- "Oh I'm sorry! Did I kill your friend? Oops! My bad! Haha!"' (to Batman)
- "Looks like I'm gonna need to find a new playmate. Oh and we were having so much fun, too! Hahahaha!" (to Batman)
- "Ding dong! The bat is dead! Which old bat? The dumb old bat! Ding dong, the dumb old bat is dead! Hahahahaha!"'' (to Batman)
- "Aw, I gotta say. I thought you'd have more fight in you. A LOT more fight!" (to Batman)
- "Deathstroke? Hehehe...More like Death...Joke Hahahahah!" (to Deathstroke)
- "You may be the world's greatest assassin kiddo, but Joker always gets the last laugh... HAHAHAHA!" (to Deathstroke)
- "Hey! Someone help Bat-baby up off the floor!"
- "Oh, I'd like to thank my fans for their undying support, and the people of Gotham, who I will be seeing very, very soon."
- "Gotta say, I thought you'd last longer."
- "Too easy! Played you like a violin, then cut your strings. Nighty night, Bats."
- "I salute my fallen enemy!" (blows a raspberry)
- "That loser didn't stand a chance. I mean look at me!"
- "Oh, Isn't that cute? Little bat's a-sleepin. Someone finish him off."
- "Tonight, Gotham, I have defeated your dear Dark Knight. Don't be sad you're next!"
- "One down. Who's next to party with me?"
- "Who else wants to get crazy?"
- "I figured you'd have a little more fight in you. Guess I figured wrong!"
- "Oh, Bats! I really figured you'd last longer than that!"
- "It's okay to die, Bats. I'll be here to protect Gotham. I'll do a real good job!"
- "Get up, Bats! Hey, you ain't looking so good!"
- "Oh, Bats! If you only knew what I have planned! You'd just die!"
- "Aren't you supposed to be up on your feet and trying to stop me?"
- Harley tells me "Bat dies". She was right. - Glitch death scene
Industrial District AnnouncementsEdit
- "Welcome, inmates. You are now taking your first, tentative steps towards a better world. A world of fun, mischief and best of all, a world where the only person you need to answer to is yours truly."
- "I know what you guys are thinking. Is it all true? Is life at Joker Enterprises everything it's rumored to be? Sadly, it is. All of it. But look on the bright side. At least you know what you're getting yourself into and I can promise you this. You'll never leave."
- "Here at Joker Enterprises, I don't take the best, in fact, looking at some of those bozos, I'm not even sure I take the worst. Most of them definitely missed all the branches of the brain when they fell out of the sky, but you know what? I don't care."
- "If you're with me, the only things I demand, except for a murderous attitude and stunning good looks, is loyalty and obedience. If you're with me, I can promise you that I will be behind you all the way. Sometimes, that might mean I'm locked up tight in a bomb proof bunker behind you, but don't worry. I'll always make sure that you are there to protect me."
- "All new recruits will be subject to a mandatory full-body search; inside and out. I know some of you may feel a little uncomfortable at the idea of a giant Russian mercenary performing a full cavity search, but don't worry, he nearly always manages not to tear out anything too vital. You may even enjoy it, I know I did."
Steel Mill Speech Edit
- "Good evening, troops. This is General J with a quick update on what's going down here in Arkham City. As you can see, I'm looking much better. In fact...oooh...I think I'm looking better than ever. Oh, I can hear you all now: "How did this happen?", "Can I get me some of that crazy cure?", "I want answers, damn it! Now!" Well, here's the thing. Answers don't give you everlasting satisfaction. Sometimes you need to brace yourself for disappointment. Now think about it. Imagine your favorite TV show. You've been through it all. The ups, the downs, the crazy coincidences, and then: Bang! They tell you what it's all about. Would you be happy? Does it make sense? How come it all ended in a church? You guys just need to know one simple thing. I'm back. Back for good. Now arm yourselves, boys, we've got a prison break to plan. No hostages. No surrender. I know. It sounds like suicide, but listen. Whatever happens...I'll be right behind you."
- "Downside you're dead. But the upside? We've got each other, Bruce Forever!"
- "This is how it happened. This is how the Batman died." *chuckles*
- "Bats? Bats?! BAAATS!!!!"
- "Oops. You're dead! Wait, does that mean I'm dead?! GET UP, BRUCE, GET UP!"
- "Oh, well. That's what I get for betting it all on black."
- "Now, if I was in charge this never would have happened!"
- "Aw, off to see Mom and Pop at that big country club in the sky."
- "Oh, Bats, you big kidder. You don't fool me. Bats? Bats?"
- "Don't head towards the light Bruce. It's not fair, they'll never let me in!
- "Who's going to fight crime now? Robin?" *laughs*
- "You should take better care of yourself Batsy, there's two of us in there!"
- "What? You survive everything I ever threw at you only to die now, like this?"
- "What the? Why is everything gone dark? Are we dying? We better not be dying, Bruce."
- "Come on, Bruce. You can't die! I didn't kill you!"
- "That's it, Bats, play dead. We've got' em right where we-oh dear."
- "I've sat through my own funeral already, now I have to go through the whole thing again?! Thanks for nothing!"
- "Well, that's one less Gordon to worry about. At least now you won't have to tell her the truth about Babs."
- "There goes your only lead to finding Barbara. Well, it was fun while it lasted."
- "It's a little known fact there's a bit of Joker inside us .Come on, kiddo! Let your Joker out!"
- "Everything is in a smile."
- "Hey sad clown……turn that frown around."
Behind the Scenes Edit
- In Batman: Arkham Knight, Batman: Arkham City and Batman: Arkham Asylum, Joker was voiced by Mark Hamill, who had previously voiced the character in various other related mediums, most notably the DC Animated Universe.
- In Batman: Arkham Origins, Batman: Arkham Origins Blackgate and Batman: Assault on Arkham, Joker was voiced by Troy Baker.
- In the first Catwoman mission, a portrait could be found with the inscription: "Cain & Abel - The Duality of Man". This was a reference to Two-Face and to the end of the game where Cain and Abel's pose was similar to how Batman was carrying the dead Joker. This also may have been a resemblance to Adam and Eve's sons, Cain and Abel.
- When unlocked, concept art for "The Death of the Joker" showed Batman carrying the Joker's body, which strongly resembled the iconic scene of Batman holding Jason Todd's body in "A Death In The Family."
- When coming up with the plot of Arkham City, Rocksteady decided early on that the Joker would die. They also came up with the idea that Joker would poison Batman with the same affiliation he had in order to show how the two diametrically opposed characters would interact in pursuit of a shared goal. Warner Bros. and Paul Dini did not oppose the decision, though they had two conditions: one, the Joker's death could not have been done for shock value (that is, his death could not have happened without warning); and two, it had to be made clear that Batman was in no way responsible for Joker's death, as the hero would not intentionally kill someone. Still, Batman did contribute to Joker's death as he unintentionally dropped the cure when the Joker stabbed him, and thus unintentionally played a role in killing the Clown Prince of Crime. Though in the end, Joker was the one truly responsible for his own death by stabbing Batman in the shoulder in the first place.
- In Arkham Asylum/City/Knight, Joker was voiced in by Mark Hamill, who previously voiced the character in Batman: The Animated Series and other DCAU related shows and video games. However, in Arkham Origins and the Direct-to-Video film Assault on Arkham, he was voiced by Troy Baker in a similar style to Hamill's "cheerfully deranged" portrayal. Baker had voiced other characters in the Arkham Universe such as Tim Drake's Robin and Two Face in Batman: Arkham City, and ironically Jason Todd/Arkham Knight in Batman: Arkham Knight.
- Joker was one of the few villains to appear in all of the Arkham games just like Harley Quinn, the Riddler, and Killer Croc.
- It was unknown if Joker ever found out Batman's identity before he died. He is also one of the many villains to die like Electrocutioner, Hugo Strange, Talia al Ghul, Clayface (presumably), Ra's al Ghul, and Poison Ivy.
- Joker was the first playable villain in a DLC. The following games continued the trend, with Catwoman (Arkham City), Deathstroke (Arkham Origins) and Harley Quinn (Arkham Knight).
- He was also the first playable character that killed his opponents, followed by Red Hood and possibly Harley, both playable in Batman: Arkham Knight.
- Joker was the only villain to appear in a poster on his own AND with Batman for Asylum and City.
- In Arkham Origins, Joker was listed to be 6ft 1in, while in City and Asylum, he is 6ft. His weight was also 165lbs in Origins, not 160lbs in the previous games.
- In Arkham Asylum, Joker would usually crack wise when his henchmen were taken out, but was much more serious when this happened in Arkham City. This only happened when Joker was being impersonated by Clayface, which was another clue to the trick.
- The Joker had multiple different Character Trophies in each game. In Asylum there was regular Joker and Titan-Joker, City had Sick Joker and Clayface Joker, Origins had Regular Joker and Red Hood, and Arkham Knight had Regular Joker, Sick-Joker and Young Joker.
- Despite being scrawny to the point of anorexia, when it came to fighting Batman, Joker could take almost twice the amount of physical pain of his thugs. This might have something to do with the chemicals that were flowing through his blood, which possibly eliminated his basic pain factor.
- Joker's age was unknown, but due to his face wrinkles and hair loss it could be assumed that Joker was at least around 10, maybe even 20 years older than Batman. However, these could have been caused by his acid bath, and due to his physical shape, he was likely Batman's age. Also, In virtually all continuities, when Joker fell into the acid as the Red Hood, he was a young man, likely in his early 30s as he had already graduated college and grad school, which was evident by his chemical expertise, and as this happened in Origins when Batman was roughly 30 years old, he and Batman were roughly the same age.
- The Arkham version of the Joker seems to be a bit of a music buff:
- When Batman confronted Joker in the penthouse of the Gotham Royal Hotel, TV sets behind him were playing the Looney Toons short: "Rabbit of Seville" with the Barber of Seville also playing in the background.
- In one of the game over scenes for Arkham Origins, Joker sung his own version of "Ding-Dong, The Witch is Dead" from The Wizard of Oz.
- During his therapy session with Harley Quinn, the background music of the Comedy Club brawl was from The Thieving Magpie, which alluded to A Clockwork Orange. The theme played during a similar scene with several escaped inmates fighting people in an abandoned theater.
- During the credits for Arkham City, Batman received one last pre-recorded message from Joker's cellphone: a recording of the Clown Prince of Crime singing Only You (And You Alone) by The Platters. This is referred to in Arkham Knight, as the song is playing in the background in the room where Joker 'kills' Two-Face
- The credits for Arkham Origins homage this: as Joker was locked back in his cell at Blackgate Prison, he sung Cold, Cold Heart by Hank Williams.
- Interestingly, in both instances, the Joker was singing love songs, apparently to his adversary.
- Although not sung by Joker himself, the scene in which Joker was cremated in the opening to Batman: Arkham Knight had the Frank Sinatra song: I've Got You Under My Skin playing in the background.
- In Batman's nightmare of joker possessing his mind and murdering all of Gotham's villains, Only You can be heard playing through an old record player. However if you shoot at it, the music will stop playing.
- In both The Road to Arkham and the comic prequel to Arkham City, Joker was shown yelling "Are we there yet?" repeatedly, and both times led to him being harmed afterwards (in the former, Batman punched him in the face hard enough to leave him groaning without taking his eyes off the wheel, and in the latter, the Arkham Asylum personnel proceeded to inflict torture on Joker in revenge for his killing 103 personnel during the events of Arkham Asylum).
- Unlike most incarnations, the Arkham Joker's red lips seem to be painted on in order to give himself his trademark smile, as shown by the thicker and messier smile of Origins compared to the cleaner and thiner smile of Asylum. Arkham City showed Joker applying lipstick on himself in order to get his lips red, though at the time he was suffering heavily from the Titan infection that had ravaged his face. However, Arkham Origins showed that he had red lips after falling into the chemicals that changed him into The Joker. Assault on Arkham showed Joker without his red lips for most of the film while in his prison uniform in his cell in Extreme Incarceration at the Penitentiary.
- For many fans it seems that Joker's voice actor, Mark Hamill, was destined to play the infamous clown as the last three letters of his first name, and the first three letters of his last name, eerily and coincidentally spell out Arkham (mARK HAMill).
- Joker is the only playable character in the series who takes fall damage if he falls from too high.
Batman: Assault on ArkhamEdit
- At one point while ranting about Harley Quinn supposedly abandoning him in favor of Deadshot, Joker mentioned that he'll "make five more just like [Harley Quinn]", which alluded to his revelation that he had prior Harley Quinns' before the current one and managed to murder them in Harley Quinn's arc in the crossover storyline: Death of the Family.
- Joker's recognition of Deadshot and having worked with him in the past was most likely a reference to his hiring of the assassin in Batman: Arkham Origins.
- Two references to some of Joker's plots in different mediums were made when Harley Quinn was searching the Evidence Locker for her mallet: A clown mask and a fish with a grin, which referred to his robbery of Gotham National Bank in The Dark Knight and the events of the episode, The Laughing Fish from Batman: The Animated Series.
- In the storyboards for the scene where Harley was trying to shoot at the Joker included in the behind-the-scenes featurette, Joker said a slightly different line from the final version. In the storyboards, Joker said: "Women! Can't live with them, can't kick them out of a moving car without them getting steamed!" In the final release, Joker said: "Women! Am I right, officer? Can't live with them, can't kick them out of a moving car!"
- After Joker set off a cache of one of the Arkham guards' grenades and while approaching to steal his gun to kill him before "changing into something more comfortable," as well as when encountering the Suicide Squad near the laundry chute, he briefly whistled the version of "Jingle Bells" from the BTAS episode: "Christmas with the Joker."
- When discovering that the "Batman" who had just died was actually Black Spider, Joker said: "Denzel! What have they done to you?", which referred to the actor, Denzel Washington.
Arkham Asylum Edit
- If you kept constantly visiting the Visitor Center, Joker talked to Batman as if Batman was visiting for a therapy appointment. See here
- When visiting the Visitor Center, after the Joker finished talking to you, turn the camera around and after a few seconds turn it back and you noticed how the Joker "mannequin's" arms change positions.
- During his take over of the Medical Facility, one of several statements the Joker made throughout the Asylum's P.A. system was "Paging Doctor Howard, Doctor Fine, Doctor Howard!". This was a reference to the classic Three Stooges episode Men In Black, where the Stooges played incompetent doctors who worked at a hospital.
- In Dr. Young's notes, Joker may have looked at them, but he only put his signature around himself only, not even Harley. Yet, there was a Joker smile on the Tweedledee and Tweedledum page, as the Tweeds regularly hired themselves out to Joker.
- Of all the minor tweaks to his appearance, the Joker had been given a make-up based smile to make it look like he's always smiling. This was most likely inspired by Caesar Romero's portrayal of the character, sporting the same artificial smile.
- Unlike the other inmates, Joker didn't appear to have an identifiable or decorated cell in Arkham Asylum. The only cell that could possibly be his was one found in the Penitentiary, because on the wall someone had written "Welcome to my humble abode". Alternatively, he could have been kept in the "Extreme Isolation" area of the Asylum, which was the one place that the player could not explore.
- Joker was briefly playable during the third Scarecrow encounter. This was the only time that he was available to play for PC or Xbox users as his Challenge Pack DLC was a Playstation 3 exclusive, most likely due to Warner Bros/DC's business deal with Sony at the time. Joker's only gameplay during this segment was walking.
- After Joker "killed" Batman during the third Scarecrow encounter by shooting him at point blank range, the game recommended "using the middle stick" to avoid his gunfire.
- It was revealed that some time before the events of the game, Warden Quincy Sharp entered Joker's cell and tried to kill him, only to be stopped in his tracks by sheer terror, possibly a result of Scarecrow's Fear Gas or Hugo Strange's manipulations. Precisely why Joker never revealed Sharp's madness to anyone after the incident was not clear, though he might have simply found it more amusing not to.
- The unlockable Patient Interview Tapes for Harley Quinn borrowed heavily from Bruce Timm and Paul Dinni's Mad Love story, which acted as the Animated Series origin for the character. Her ending line, "Say hello to your new and improved Harley Quinn!" was a direct quote from the story.
- Although these tapes acted as the first meeting between the infamous duo, Arkham Origins retconned it into being technically their second.
- Asylum was not the first time the Joker had turned to Bane style steroids to improve his act. The idea for his final boss state may have been inspired by Brawn, an episode from the third season of The Batman cartoon show, where that version of the character stole Bane's Venom injector to menace Gotham.
- Joker's Challenge Maps possibly showed how he made his way through the Asylum during the events of Arkham Asylum. However, as he can kill both Aaron Cash and James Gordon during combat, the reality of these events is questionable
Arkham City Edit
- When Joker won the VGA 2011 Rewards, he was holding a file with the name Batman: Arkham World. He then dropped it: "Whoops, Spoilers".
- In an alternate ending to Arkham City that played if Catwoman decided not to save Batman, a disturbing and panicked radio frequency would be broadcast by Oracle. She would plead for anyone who could hear her to send help as Joker and his forces had completely destroyed Gotham and murdered nearly everyone, including Batman and her father, and ended by stating that Joker had won. During this ending, a rewound, sped-up message could be heard of the Joker, saying "Thank you for the entertainment, Bats" if the message was slowed down and fast forwarded.
- In the Joker's Carnival Challenge Map, the Joker could be seen watching the fight and joined in when the player reached a x100 hit combo.
- Joker would also act confused by the presence of Robin, which referenced Jason Todd: "Didn't I already kill you?"
- The box of tricks found in the Steel Mill's Boiler Room, that was needed to solve the Riddler's Revenge challenge contained Joker's X-ray spectacles from his Asylum DLC and a grinning Joker fish, a reference to the classic two part Detective Comics #475-#476 story The Laughing Fish! and The Sign of the Joker! by Steve Englehart, as well as the DC Animated Universe adaptation of the story, "The Laughing Fish", where Joker poisoned Gotham City fish to bear his distinctive grin so he could mass market his own brand of fish products.
- At the end of Arkham City during Joker's death, Joker stabbed Batman in the arm, which made him drop the cure on the ground. Afterwards, Batman stated that he would have saved him. Joker technically killed himself by making Batman drop the cure.
- Initially, the Arkham City End Game story (a 6-part arc released as part of the Arkham Unhinged series) revealed that after his death, Joker had one final plan to blow up the walls of Arkham City, which was triggered by a posthumous message that Batman recovered during his mission to rescue the GCPD officers from Harley Quinn. Eventually, Batman would manage to foil his plan, and he and Gordon would arrive to the decision of cremating Joker's body. The Arkham Knight prequel comics told a similar version of the story, with Joker's final plan taking place before Harley Quinn's Revenge, rather than after, and also with the Arkham Knight involved.
- During Harley Quinn's Revenge several posters for Cadmus Labs could be seen. Cadmus was a science lab in the DC universe that was infamous for cloning experiments. The posters may have indicated a way that Harley was considering to bring her puddin' back or simply a red herring for fans to speculate about a possible resurrection.
- The appearance of Sick Joker in the game was completely different to the reveal trailer for Arkham City. In the trailer, Joker's appearance was far less severe with a more receding hairline and a more realistic sickly look, compared to how he eventually looked at the end of of the game.
- Throughout the game there were three times where the major plot twist with Clayface acting as Joker was subtly revealed.
- The first was when Harley talks about how Joker looked 'perfect' before going on to say it wasn't really him. While this can be dismissed during the first playthrough as playful banter, this little bit actually reveals the plot twist very early on.
- The second is during 'Joker's speech in the Steel Mill, at one point the camera shakes and the cameraman is heard coughing. As Joker at this point is being impersonated by Clayface this means that the cameraman heard coughing was the real Joker.
- The third is the most obvious one if the player knows what to do; during the fight with Joker in the Steel Mill activating Detective Mode will show Joker doesn't have a skeleton, the only other character not to have one is Clayface, revealing very clearly to the player that the Joker fought at the Steel Mill is a fake.
- When Joker (or rather, his body double Clayface) gives his speech about how he was back where he mentions that he won't do that since he doesn't wish to ruin things, says as one of his reasons for not revealing it as an example "Imagine your favorite show. You've been through it all. The ups, the downs, the crazy coincidences. And then, BANG! They tell you what it's all about. Would you be happy? Does it make sense? How come it all ended in a church?". This was a reference to the TV Drama series Lost, which writer Paul Dini had a hand in creating.
- Ironically, regarding Joker's question about how come the series ended in a church, Batman: Arkham Origins had the final confrontation with the Joker occur in the prison chapel of Blackgate.
Arkham Origins Edit
- The Joker's theme song in Arkham Origins was a very dark rendition of "Carol of the Bells."
- His references to "one bad day" and killing a real estate agent to acquire a themepark came from Allan Moore's The Killing Joke.
- Ironically, in Batman: Arkham City, the origin story he tells Hugo Strange (which can be heard in his Interview Tapes) is directly from the same graphic novel.
- In Arkham Origins, during the failed comedian flashback, all of the Joker's combat moves were lifted directly from Arkham Asylum including his strutting walk. He also borrowed a few takedowns from Nightwing and used Batman's beatdown.
- In Origins, Joker's bio was the only one to be personally written by Batman.
- It was revealed in Arkham Origins that most of the Joker's henchmen were originally mobsters in Black Mask's gang, before the Joker took over his operations. Listening in on conversations between the gangsters also revealed that many of them were dissatisfied with Black Mask under-paying and dispatching them, and preferred Joker's chaotic way of doing things.
- The in-universe existence of Batman Smells seemed to come from one of Joker's P.A. announcements during the second Blackgate Riot: "Jingle bells, Batman smells, Gotham's quite a mess! Blackgate's mine and you're out of time, which means you'll soon be dead!" A Blackgate escapee sung it later on, to which Batman simply responds with an annoyed "No." before he knocks him out.
- The monstrous version of Batman, seen from Joker's P.O.V. during his flashback and final confrontation with the hero, was the 'Nightmare Batman', an alternative skin that was initially going to be unlockable after completing the Worst Nightmare challenges in Arkham Origins. The skin could not be incorporated into the finished game in time for release and the version seen in the cutscenes and trophy gallery were most likely pre-renders, now the only traces of it in the entire game.
- Joker was playable in an online multi-player mode and very briefly in the Story mode in Batman: Arkham Origins, which was the second time that he had been playable since Arkham Asylum.
- The Joker's bio in Arkham Origins made a reference to Batman's thoughts in: The Man Who Laughs.
- Joker's Character Trophy showed that his wrists weren't bleached white and had a normal pigmentation to them, while this could be seen as just a developer oversight. It should be noted that there were very small traces of human toned pigmentation on Joker's face, possibly indicating (along with the newspaper articles of Red Hood in the Batcave) that Red Hood's encounter with Batman and his transformation into the Joker had only recently happened, and that slowly, the rest of his skin started turning white.
Arkham Knight Edit
- In New Game Plus, the opening sequence where the Joker was cremated ended with the Joker suddenly waking up and screaming in pain before proceeding to lie back down and laugh all the way to oblivion, with him then mockingly narrating the first line of Commissioner Gordon's speech.
- Joker's X-ray specs, his personal handgun, a set of explosive Joker Teeth and the dart gun which Joker used to inject TITAN in his body after failing to take over Arkham Asylum could be seen in a display case in the Evidence Room at the GCPD.
- At the end of the game, when Batman finally confronted Joker inside his head, it was revealed and shown by Batman that Joker was afraid of not being remembered.
- Joker, as well as his demise, was also alluded to by Red Hood in the Red Hood Story DLC, where he told Black Mask after kicking him out a window to his death to say 'hi' to Joker for him.
- Joker was also alluded to twice in the Scarecrow Nightmare Challenges DLC, both by Scarecrow: The first allusion had him congratulating Batman on the rumors of creating the Joker, and expressed it to be a waste that he couldn't keep him alive (implying that he liked Joker for his causing a significant amount of fear among Gotham), and the second had him telling Batman how he thought, contrary to Batman's claims, that Joker's death was deliberately ensured by the Dark Knight.
- After being infected with Fear Toxin, which caused Batman to hallucinate Joker, billboards and posters would sometimes portray Joker and Batman in surreal imagery, with lingering laughter in the background.
- One of Joker's Game Over sequences was a reference to the Game Overs in the Metal Gear Solid series.
- Enemy conversations revealed that Joker had once attempted to run for President of the United States, complete with his own TV spots. The militia also remarked that it was unclear how he even got onto the ballot.
- Throughout the game, Joker shifted between his healthy appearance from Asylum and his sickly, scarred face in City, though his sick appearance got more play due to a bit of subtle storytelling. In the first hallucination, over half of Joker's face had Titan scarring, his suit was ratty and washed out, and even his lapel flower was wilted, roughly as bad as he looked at the time of his death. As the game progressed, and Batman was exposed to more toxin, Joker's appearance improved, his suit gaining more color and his scarring becoming less severe. By the truck sequence, he looked slightly better than he did in his first City appearance, and once Scarecrow hit Batman with the last dose of toxin while strapped to the gurney, Joker's makeup was perfect and his suit looked newly made. This reflected how much stronger the Joker persona was growing as Batman's willpower was broken down, but it also showed Batman letting go of the guilt that he felt for not being able to save the Clown Prince of Crime. In a backwards way, the Joker persona and his constant commentary was partially Batman reminding himself of what the Joker really was, and realigning his memory of the Joker from the man he couldn't save to a pure, impartial view of a murderer and monster that flat-out didn't want to be redeemed, and would only be stopped in death. Once Batman had freed himself of the guilt, and remembered the Joker he spent years fighting instead of the Joker he spent one night trying to save, he was able to capitalize on the clown's fear of being forgotten to reduce him to nothing but that memory, an untarnished image of the Joker, who was finally locked away forever.
- The hallucination where the Joker's neck got snapped by Batman's hands is similar to his final fate in The Dark Knight Returns Part 2.
- Joker's consciousness surviving and taking over his foe's knowledge and resources was done in "Batman Beyond: Return of the Joker". He took over the body of Tim Drake, and used his skills as an engineer to create a satellite weapon, before he was defeated by the new Batman, Terry McGinnis. Nevertheless, there were several differences. The first was that instead of a blood transfusion, it was a microchip. Second, a significant amount of time had passed and Joker had not been forgotten. Ironically, both versions of the Joker were voiced by Mark Hamill.
- The song Joker sang in place of Johnny Charisma "The Asylum Blues" was a reference to Joker's relationship with Batman and the events that led to Arkham Knight.
- Arkham Knight was the third time the Joker was a playable character in the series; though he was only playable near the end of the game, and could only walk around, shoot, and briefly use the Jokermobile. Joker has been confirmed to return as a playable character in the AR Challenge map, Million Dollar Mayhem, where you are in control of Joker and have 5 minutes to cause as much destruction as you can before the bill is sent to Wanye Enterprises for clean up.
- The idea of Joker appearing as a hallucination due to Scarecrow's Fear Toxin was planned in the film, Batman Triumphant. Ironically, Arkham Knight had a similar plot to what was known, with Joker returning as a hallucination, Scarecrow as the main antagonist, and Harley's prominent role. Whether or not it was a coincidence or Rocksteady used it as inspiration, was unknown.
- At one point during the Cloudburst Mission, Joker, when trying to convince Batman to leave the city to its fate, stated that Gotham City was "falling faster than the Flying Graysons on Take-Your-Kid-To-Work Day!", which indirectly alluded to the death of Nightwing's secret identity, Dick Grayson's parents during a circus performance via the mob boss Tony Zucco sabotaging their acrobat ropes. Ironically, Mark Hamill, Joker's voice actor in the game, voiced Tony Zucco in The Batman.
- In the A Matter of Family DLC, Joker was seen wearing a master of ceremonies top hat,which was fitting for his technically owning an amusement park during the events of the game.
- When commentating on the enemies trying to fight Batgirl and Robin in the beginning of the DLC, he shouted: "Where's Gordy?!" in much the same manner as the announcer yelling: "Here's Johnny" in the beginning of the Johnny Carson show.
- Coincidentally, Jack Nicholson, the actor for the version of the Joker in the 1989 Batman film, had played the father in The Shining, who said a darker version of the above opening catchphrase when chopping down a door with an axe with murderous intent toward his family.
- Sometimes, Joker would refer to Batgirl as "Bat-Fake", which was the insult that he used on Terry McGinnis in the movie, Batman Beyond: Return of the Joker. Coincidentally, both Return of the Joker and A Matter of Family had Batman being replaced by Terry and Batgirl, respectively (although the latter was temporary while the former was permanent).
- Unlike in Asylum and most of City where Joker hides his affection for Batman behind his desire to beat him at their "game", in Knight Joker is fully open about his love for Batman as his "best friend", (hinting possibly more homosexual tendencies, which were previously stated in Arkham Asylum.) in Batman's hallucinations where he goes on about their very close bond, saying at one point they'd show Gotham 'what a real Dynamic Duo looks like' and in some of his game over scenes he'll actually be shown being upset or shocked to see Batman dead.
- In the sequence when Joker takes over Batman's mind, at one point the screen will go black. Turning Joker's flashlight on will put you in front of the concept art of Joker's death in Arkham City, in which the Joker will say; "Ah, memories".
- Using Photo Mode during the scene where Joker shows Jason Todd the Batman and Robin picture will actually reveal it to be a picture of when Batman and current Robin, Tim Drake, meet once during the events of Arkham City, the picture in question shows them after Robin arrives to help Batman after being ganged up on by the League of Assassin ninjas, and before Batman goes to search for Ra's al Ghul.
- The Joker appears to break the fourth wall, sometimes while on a building The Joker will mention he has figured out who the Arkham Knight is and mentions several unlikely candidates, with an odd explanation behind how they could be the Knight. This could be a subtle jab directed at individuals who attempted to figure out The Arkham Knight's identity with ridiculous ideas and concepts prior to the game's release, like Quincy Sharp being the Arkham Knight for example.
- Every time the hallucination of the Joker talks, faint Joker laughter is heard.
- If the player visits Scarecrow's safe-house between Barbara Gordon's "death" and the Arkham Knight/Jason Todd battle at the militia headquarters, Joker will be seen lying dead and then commenting that someone should talk with Commissioner Gordon with "tampering" with a crime scene, and that he should be ruled a suspect. This was a foreshadowing of the plot twist where Barbara Gordon was actually alive and that Jim Gordon was pressured into working with Scarecrow to ensure her safety.
- Similarly, during the scene where Barbara Gordon "commits suicide", Joker will be seen moving her gun closer to her slightly, hinting that the scene was not actually real.
- After locking a villain in the Cell at the GCPD, Joker makes a comment about him. He also makes a comment after talking to the villain for the first time after they are locked up.
- It was a surprise for many players to hear Joker being voiced by Mark Hamill again, as he hadn't voiced the character since 2011's Arkham City, only saying he'd come back if an adaptation of The Killing Joke were ever made. Though many did assume Joker would make an appearance as a short Fear Toxin hallucination in the game, many never expected the hallucination to be one of the main characters in the game as well as voiced by Mark Hamill once more.
Batman: Arkham OriginsEdit
Batman: Arkham Origins BlackgateEdit
Batman: Assault on ArkhamEdit
Batman: Arkham AsylumEdit
Batman: Arkham CityEdit
Batman: Arkham KnightEdit