This page includes spoiler details from the latest game in the series, Batman: Arkham Knight. Please proceed at your own risk.
|Base of Operations||Gotham City, Arkham City|
|Height||6ft 0in (1.83 m)|
|Appeared In||Batman: Arkham Asylum|
Batman: Arkham City
Batman: Arkham Origins
Batman: Arkham Knight
|Voice Actor||Mark Hamill (Arkham Asylum, Arkham City and Arkham Knight)
Troy Baker (Arkham Origins, Arkham Origins Blackgate and Assault on Arkham)
|First Appearance||Batman: #1 (Spring 1940)|
An insanely homicidal super-villain, the Joker whose white skin, green hair and blood red lips belie the chaotic nature underlying his cartoonish appearance. The extremely intelligent, self-styled Clown Prince of Crime has no super powers beyond a capacity for incredible violence and a skill at creating deadly mayhem. He frequently concocts elaborate schemes to entrap his arch nemesis, Batman. He served as the main antagonist of Arkham Origins and Arkham Asylum, the secondary antagonist of Arkham City and the tertiary antagonist in Arkham Knight.
The Joker's origins are a mystery, barring that Batman was somehow involved. He reveals a possible story to Dr. Harleen Quinzel in Arkham Origins and to Professor Hugo Strange in Arkham City: once upon a time he was a failed stand-up comedian who was working nights at Ace Chemicals in a feeble attempt to support his sickly wife and their unborn child. They died just before the night he helped a gang of thieves in the employ of the Falcone Crime Family break into the Ace Chemicals plant, disguised as the infamous Red Hood, an alias the gang always gave to the inside-man so that he would take the fall.
Strange refuted this story, however, claiming the Joker had probably fabricated it to avoid taking responsibility for whatever his actual actions had been, commenting that the clown had told at least ten different origin stories during his career. Joker admitted that even he doesn't quite truly remember what happened, and that the various stories were inspired by a friend once telling him "if you're gonna have an origin story it may as well be multiple choice." It was entirely possible that this too was a lie.
Other versions of the story, told to Dr. Penelope Young, include being born in a small fishing village with thwarted aspirations of joining the circus and being the son of a police officer who was slain by the mob. The Red Hood persona, the Ace Chemical break in, and Batman's presence seem to be the only consistent events in each retelling; the details of whether Batman threw the Red Hood into the vat, failed to prevent him falling in, or if the criminal leapt in to escape justice seem to depend on the Joker's mood at the time.
Even the Joker's own insanity may be called into question, as this has never impeded his intelligence, ruthlessness and ambition or prevented him from mastering chemistry to produce his various toxins and gases. He might not actually be insane, simply the purest kind of human evil.
Incident Reports Edit
Before Arkham Origins IncidentEdit
Shortly after his transformation the Joker began scheming. Seeking to carve a name for himself in the Gotham criminal underworld, the Joker began to target Roman Sionis, also known as Black Mask, as the crime lord's trademark mask would make for the perfect disguise and his steel mill, used as a front to manufacture drugs, came with all the resources needed to cook up deadly toxins and explosives. He may also have chosen Black Mask because of Sionis Steel's reputation for shady theme park construction. At some point Joker even acquired such a site by poisoning a real estate agent with a palm pin when they shook on the deal.
Joker started his plans by stealing chemicals from Sionis' mill to manufacture explosives, attracting enough of the crime lord's attention to have him followed. Joker raised the stakes by stalking (one of) Roman's girlfriend(s), Tiffany Ambrose. Roman placed a spooked Tiffany in his safe house at Lacey Towers. Unfortunately for Black Mask and his lover, the Joker was waiting when Tiffany returned from grocery shopping. Just as Tiffany messaged Roman about the identity of her stalker, whom he dismissed as "No one important", and begged him to come over, the Joker violently smashed her head into a worktop and tied her to a chandelier.
Ever paranoid, Black Mask had a body double enter the safe house as a diversion while he snuck in via the adjacent balcony. The Joker, waiting at a table, casually shot the double through the heart on sight. The real Black Mask then rushed from behind and tackled the Joker straight through his props, but the Joker rallied, overpowering Black Mask and tying him up. The Joker then used a Molotov cocktail to eliminate evidence, as well as torture Black Mask by giving him a choice: watch Tiffany burn to death or shoot her to put her out of her misery. Black Mask chose the latter, and the Joker dragged the struggling crime lord out with him
The Joker kept Sionis alive to access the bio-metric locks of the Gotham Merchants bank, give up inside information on his gang to improve Joker's disguise and take the fall if Joker didn't feel like killing him first. The next several days were spent holding the former Black Mask captive and torturing him to reveal every detail about himself. Using these details to his advantage, Joker disguised himself as the crime lord, taking complete control of his gang, resources and power. Any slip ups and out of character activity were put down to Black Mask sampling his own product.
Soon Joker had killed or turned gang members as he saw fit, and had the survivors placing explosives in the sewers directly beneath significant sky scrapers. Then there was the matter of Batman. When not focusing on his other plans, "Black Mask" contacted eight of the world's deadliest assassins to come to Gotham and compete for a $50 million bounty he placed on the vigilante's head.
As the big night neared "Black Mask" has his men abduct Warden Joseph from Blackgate Prison and brought to his hideout. There he casually burnt out one of the warden's eyes and threatened to slaughter his entire family if security wasn't lowered on the night the recently captured Calendar Man was to be executed.
Arkham Origins IncidentEditChristmas Eve, Joker made his move. As the assassins arrived in Gotham, "Black Mask" staged an all out attack on Blackgate Penitentiary with dozens of his men and Killer Croc, one of his assassins. Murdering dozens of guards and releasing just as many inmates, "Black Mask" took Commissioner Loeb hostage, announcing that there would be a "clean slate" and some big changes for Gotham tonight. He had Croc drag Loeb off while he and his crew released Calendar Man from the execution chamber. The joke was too rich to pass up.
He then proceeded to wipe the slate, leaving Loeb to be gassed to death in Calendar Man's place. While making his way to the roof he spotted one of the Penguin's drones following them and ordered Croc to smash it and retrieve it's memory card so he could see just how much the Penguin had managed to learn. To his irritation Croc only managed the former. As "Black Mask" made his exit via helicopter, Croc got his chance to make up for it when he caught Batman's scent staying behind to duel the vigilante and claim the bounty.
Batman subdued Croc and escaped the police in his Batwing, leaving the cannibal killer to them. To slow the vigilante down "Black Mask" turned to the GCPD, hiring Edward Nigma, head of the GCPD's Cyber Crime division and secret master hacker, to broadcast a jamming signal to interfere with the Batwing and brought corrupt SWAT leader Branden in on the bounty. Both were completely unaware of the explosives beneath their headquarters.
As the night wore on, Batman defeated assassins Deathstroke and Electrocutioner, learned about the Lacey Towers affair from the Penguin, broke into the GCPD to hack the National Crime Database, discovered the bombs under Gotham and deduced that the Joker was using Sionis to break into the Gotham Merchant's Bank. "Black Mask" was busy too, ordering his men to cause as much chaos as possible, taking over the Gotham Royal Hotel to convert the ballroom into a death trap using materials from his theme park, and stealing an ambulance so he could bust into the Merchant's Bank with Sionis at the stroke of Midnight and begin his new reign at the very start of Christmas Day.
"Life would be so simple if you were all I wanted."-The Joker verbally spars with Batman for the very first time.Just as "Black Mask" and his crew were about to make off with the loot, Batman made an explosive entrance by literally blowing up the ceiling and dropping onto two goons. Only the presence of a captive Roman Sionis and a strangely hysterical bank manager kept the vigilante at bay. His deception discovered the Joker abandoned the Black Mask disguise, coming face to face with his nemesis for the first time since the Ace Chemicals incident..
Batman tried to negotiate the release of the bank manager since the Joker "had" him. The Joker was unimpressed with the offer, and instead fired several bullets into the vigilante's armor before tossing him the bank manager. He fled the scene with Sionis and several million dollars in the back of his ambulance, detonating bombs rigged in the vault. Even if Batman managed to escape the trap the bank manager was still dead, one of the first victims of Joker Toxin. While skeptical that even Batman could live through the explosion Joker still sent in a handful of his men to sweep the building. Batman subdued all of them, leaving one for interrogation.
Amazed that Batman could survive both his gunshot wounds and the explosion, Joker nevertheless remained in cheerful spirits as he embarked on the next phase of his plan. While the vigilante investigated Sionis's steel mill, freeing the real Black Mask and confronting Copperhead, the Joker headed for the Gotham Royal Hotel to call a meeting with the remaining assassins. Still disguised as Black Mask he called in Branden and SWAT to keep the police and the media away from the scene. Tracking down the electronic signal from the Electrocutioner's Shock Gloves, Batman infiltrated the building, dispensing Joker's men just in time to hack into the security feed and watch the meeting.
Disguised as Black Mask, the Joker had commandeered the hotel's penthouse and caught the assassins up on the night's events, and his displeasure. The night was almost over and "Bat Deaths" were "coming in far below projections". The Electrocutioner was more engrossed in his phone, ignoring Joker's lecture. Displeased with the thug's attitude Joker dispensed with the Black Mask disguise altogether and, after a little fun at the Electrocutioner's expense,kicked the swivel chair he was sitting in out a window, sending him plummeting to his death. An example made, the remaining assassins headed out into the night to find Batman except for Bane, who knew that he would be coming for the Joker. This macho posturing amused the Joker, who settled in to wait. He didn't have to wait long.Batman acquired the Electrocutioner's Shock Gloves and used them to manipulate the hotel's electronics and dispatch the Joker and Bane's forces, rescuing hostage hotel employees and navigating through Joker's makeshift carnival attractions. All this greatly disturbed Batman as he turned each corner to find a new level of the Joker's madness, including the converted ballroom. The Joker stayed in touch through rigged TV sets and the hotel's P.A system the entire time, mocking the vigilante and claiming that he'd done more to eliminate crime in two days than Batman had in two years. Despite the apparently fool proof measure of not building an exit into the ballroom trap, Batman was able to fashion one with his gadgets and resume his progress through the hotel. An annoyed Joker temporarily ended their one sided conversation, apparently so he could "shoot the architect". When Batman finally arrived at the penthouse Bane went to work; brutally pulling the vigilante down through an elevator roof and hurling him through the penthouse doors to Joker's lounging feet. The Joker's one caveat before Bane finished the job was time to speak to his target; he had his hand on the detonator to the explosives under the Royal if the giant didn't keep his word. Bane gave him one minute. After regaling Batman with an anecdote about his childhood tradition of opening one present each on Christmas Eve the The Joker detonated a nearby building. Furious, Batman grabbed him, demanding to know how many lives he'd just taken. Joker gleefully revealed that the building was merely a construction site. Batman slammed his enemy into the adjacent table, overturning several unused detonators. Grabbing one Joker revealed that it wasn't as harmless as the last. Pushed to his limit Batman destroyed the detonator and began to beat the Joker. The clown just kept laughing, right up until Bane returned. Muttering something about finding peace in Batman's death Bane threw Batman through the window and into a room beneath the Penthouse. Batman held his own until Bane used his Venom induced strength to toss him through another window and onto a snowy balcony. The Joker had a ring side seat to the battle, offering color commentary the entire time. However, his fun was interrupted by the arrival of police choppers. Someone had tipped off a killjoy called Gordon about the Royal and the police were now closing in for real. Bane decided to leave. This didn't sit well with the Joker who opened fire on Bane's own escape choppers with a machine gun. That didn't sit well with Bane, who returned fire with a bazooka. The Joker remained completely unphased by this, even spreading his arms wide as if welcoming an end to his insanity. Bane's missile missed the clown himself but exploded behind him, the force hurling him off the balcony. Batman dove after the Joker, catching him in mid-air. The Joker attempted to punch the vigilante as he was grabbed. Batman simply subdued him with a headbutt. Even with falling debris knocking it loose, Batman's grapnel was able to slow their fall enough that they survived crashing through the lobby's glass dome. They were instantly surrounded by two of Joker's surviving men, guns trained on Batman. To show the vigilante just how ''insane'' saving his life was, the Joker shot both men, citing that they had done unspeakable things and deserved death just like he did, before training his gun on himself. Batman disarmed and subdued him just as Branden and his SWAT team burst in, still intent on collecting the bounty. Batman escaped in the Batwing leaving the Joker in Gordon and Harvey Bullock's custody. Bullock manhandled the Joker into the back of a squad car, assuming the bat and the clown were partners to Joker's consternation.
Joker was sent to Blackgate, undergoing a quick psychological examination by a psych intern with a pretty name. Sensing that she was sympathetic, the Joker feigned an interest in her. In reality, he had retreated into a memory during which he recounted all the factors in his creation--the failed stand-up act, the ACE chemicals break in, that first confrontation with a seemingly monstrous Batman, bleeding together with the night's events, specifically Batman saving him from that fatal fall. He now felt a connection to the hero and believed it was fate for them to meet, two byproducts of one bad day. Harleen thought he was talking about her.
While Batman hunted down Bane and Firefly, the Joker (possibly with Dr. Quinn's help) instigated another riot at Blackgate, taking complete control of the facility. The only inmate he didn't release was Deathstroke, since a professional killer probably couldn't see the funny side to being a pawn in a game to take control of Gotham. Responding to the riot Batman fought his way through the prison to the Panopticon and found Joker holding the warden hostage with Bane at his side.
The Joker laid out his ultimatum. Batman was forced to fight Bane to the death as Joker strapped himself, with a hostage Jim Gordon, to an electric chair that would automatically kill him unless a heart beat monitor attached to the chair registered Bane's death. With seemingly no alternative Batman unleashed the full capacity of his shock gloves on Bane. Satisfied that he'd forced his nemesis to break his one rule, the Joker left intending to detonate the bombs still placed around the city. He took a brief pause to shoot Warden Joseph for calling him a freak but Gordon took the shot with his bulletproof vest.
"You just can't get it through your thick skull! WE BOTH EXIST BECAUSE OF THEM!!"-Joker explains the punchlineHe didn't make it very far, forced to take shelter in the prison chapel until he could stop laughing.. Batman caught up to him, an ecstatic Joker ready to become his next kill. Batman spoiled the joke by revealing that Bane was still alive. Dismayed to learn that Batman saved Bane, the Joker tried to goad Batman into killing him, but Batman subdued him with a ferocious beating...
''Punch drunk, with his nemesis throttling him, the Joker looked into the eyes of the monster that had made him what he was. And laughed.'' Then everything went black.
The Joker came to strapped to a gurney and being wheeled back to his cell. Batman had overcome all odds and chosen to let him live yet again, which Joker found hysterical. He chose to see the funny side of the whole affair. He now had a reason to be and the chance to top himself. This, he declared, was going to be ''FUN. ''
Later that evening, political activist Quincy Sharp made an appearance on the Jack Ryder show to announce his intentions to reopen Gotham's infamous Arkham Asylum in an effort to create a more secure facility to rehabilitate and secure the most dangerous criminals. In reality this was all a stunt for his mayoral campaign...and the plans of more sinister forces. Though he couldn't have known it, the Joker, through his actions and very existence, had set in motion a chain of events that would push both Batman and himself to their limits.
Arkham Origins Blackgate IncidentEdit
Three months after his big debut The Joker was at it again. A riot allowed him and fellow bosses Black Mask and Penguin to each take over a section of Blackgate. Using a series of tunnels connected to a panic hatch in the Warden's office, Joker captured Warden Joseph. He took control of the Administration building and had his men convert it into fun house themed fortress. He also hired Deadshot once more to act as an enforcer, unaware the sniper was secretly tripling his earnings by cutting the same deal with his rivals."Hello, valued guest!"-The Joker reunites with Batman
When Batman arrived at the Administration building, attempting to locate an underground supply tunnel that would let him access Penguin's turf in the cell blocks, he found the Joker waiting for him. Joker admitted that he hadn't finished his alterations to the building yet but Batman was more interested in threatening him for the Arkham Wing's Cryptographic Sequencer codes. Joker brushed off the vigilante's bravado by revealing Warden Joseph was in the conference room, tied up with explosives. Batman tried to rush up the staircase Joker was standing on top of, only to be bowled over by detonated explosives beneath it. Joker left the semi-conscious Dark Knight to focus on his alterations to the Warden's office. He also shut off the ventilation to the Arkham Wing, endangering the hostages held there, or so someone would have Batman believe.
"You'll never foil my master plan, NEVER! Did that sound alright? I've been working on that."-The Joker, Renaissance Man.
Batman caught up with the Joker exiting via the elevator just as he flooded the corridor with a gas version of the toxin he'd used on the Merchants Bank Manager on Christmas Eve. Batman escaped via the ventilation system, making his way to the library and freeing the hostages Joker was storing there. In retaliation Joker filled the room with gas again, but Batman escaped outside. The vigilante dealt with Deadshot before making his way back inside and to the conference room, where he found Warden Joseph tied to explosives Joker had rigged to security junction boxes. After disabling the security controls to short out the boxes, Batman headed into the maintenance tunnels to find a way into the room, coming face to face with Joker's puzzles. Batman solved them, navigated the vent system and entered the room through a floor grate, freeing Joseph. Batman headed into the sewers to gain access to the office but was delayed by other situations."Okay, Bats, let's get ready to RRRRRRRUMBA!!!"-The Joker gets serious
This gave Joker the time to finish what he'd been cooking up in the warden's office: altered riot control gas that would allow him to control the minds of the inmates in small does. Large doses would turn those brains to "succotash". Batman emerged from the bookcase panic hatch to confront the Joker, who had rigged the gas canisters to the prison's major air units for timed release. Joker taunted Batman with the Sequencer Codes, the only thing that would enable the office computer to shut off the countdown. Armed with a stun baton and a revolver the Joker fought Batman, who defeated him with well timed use of the Line Launcher even after Joker flooded the office with some of the gas. Joker was knocked unconscious, allowing Batman to retrieve the codes from his jacket and shut down the countdown. But Joker did manage to have the last laugh, providing Catwoman with bombs sometime during the night, allowing her to distract Batman while escape with Bane.
Note: Joker's involvement in Catwoman's escape attempt and the following depend on which boss Batman defeats last.
As two guards approached a seemingly unconscious Joker to collect him, the clown suddenly fired two hidden darts into their necks. Disguised in one of their uniforms he easily bypassed the security forces and escaped into Gotham to plan his next performance.
Between Arkham Origins and Arkham AsylumEdit
Once recaptured Joker was transferred to a newly re-opened Arkham Asylum. Despite the city's best efforts he would go on to continually escape, causing crime and chaos until Batman would stop him, a twisted running gag at Gotham's expense. He defied any kind of therapy or diagnosis, his doctors unable to decipher what kind of insanity he was even afflicted with. To add insult to injury the Clown Prince of Crime came to view the Asylum as a sort of home. He was aware of being observed obsessively by one of the doctors while in his cell, and out of it put on a show, spontaneously brutalizing fellow inmates and asylum staff just to keep everyone on their toes.
Harley Quinn Edit
Perhaps Joker's most insidious act was his seduction of his therapist, Harleen Quinzel. The psych intern, now a full fledged psychologist, transferred from Blackgate to Arkham intending to study Gotham's growing number of super criminals and become a pioneer in her field. She was eager to gain insight into the mind of the self style Clown prince of Crime to publish a book. Neither of them acknowledged the Blackgate incident but Joker strung her along as easily as he had then. Over the preceding months he shared insights and secrets with her, many of which he most likely made up, and had her believing that he was the love of her life. Months later Quinzel smuggled in explosives to break the Joker out and rechristened herself with his pet name "Harley Quinn" to become Gotham's number one power couple! Joker had just been looking for a pawn to set him free, and now had a would be girlfriend cramping his style. He treated her like any other member of his gang: physically and verbally abusing her even when she did carry out his orders.
Holding Grudges Edit
Soon after his arrival in Gotham City, the Penguin decided to make an impression on the underworld elite with a gala opening for his nightclub, the Iceberg Lounge. He included the notorious Joker, whose appearance would surely impress the crowd. When the Joker arrived, Harley Quinn on his arm and a dainly flower in his lapel, the Penguin was thrilled. He was hosting the sinister soiree of the century-until a clumsy waitress spilled a drink on the Joker. The laughing Joker aimed his flower and an acid spray melted the girl's face. As alarmed patrons fled the scene, a cold, dark rage at the Joker curled inside Penguin. The Joker eagerly returned to the Iceberg Lounge a few weeks later, but was insulted to find his name was not on the guest list. Willing to overlook this obvious mistake, he shot the doorman on his way in, kicked his feet up at a table, and ordered a glass of warm milk. He was pleased when alongside the milk was a summons to the club's VIP section. Led to a back room--past a tank where Tiny the Shark circled--the Joker happily greeted the Penguin, who promptly pushed him out of a door onto the street. The Penguin squawked out that the club had a new "no clowns" policy before slamming the door.
The Abromovici Twins Edit
The Joker heard tales of conjoined Abramovici twins, now widely known as Hammer and Sickle, and their reputation for brutality, and he wanted them for himself. Sending Harley on a desperate mission to retrieve them, she passed on the message to the circus owner that her puddin' would pay big for the twins. Of course the owner refused to sell his headlining act. He promptly vanished, only to be found three months later with a new smile carved on his face. Later during Arkham City the brothers would be surgically separated then have a falling out, with Sickle defecting to the Penguin.
The Joker's Diary Edit
At some point before the events of Arkham Asylum, Joker hatched a scheme based around the 4th of July. While stuck in an existential rut, he encountered a criminal who claimed he could control the weather. Joker learned this criminal's techniques and, months later, set his scheme in motion by causing a power outage. This encouraged Gothamites to go outside. Batman investigated the power outage and overpowered the Joker, breaking his nose.
Even as he was dragged to Arkham Asylum his plan was unveiling. His signature toxin had been released in a powder form by fireworks. Citizens who came into contact with it died. He was sedated by Batman before arriving at Arkham. Before Batman could warn them, staff had touched him...and the toxin on his skin and clothes, killing them. He was taken to a special cell without clothes and away from the other inmates, one frequently used by Amadeus Arkham. During his time there, he began to write a book, sarcastically suggested by Batman, containing the names of all the people he had ever killed.
Before Assault on Arkham Edit
At some point while incarcerated in Arkham Asylum, Joker was visited in his cell in the dead of night by Asylum Warden Quincy Sharp, bearing a razor. Before things could escalate any further, Sharp seemed to freeze up with sudden terror. Never one to miss an opportunity, Joker procured the Warden's knife and had a little fun at his expense, slowly slicing his forehead. He left no visible scarring and never told anyone, most likely because the joke of a lunatic running the Asylum was too rich to spoil. However, the only record of this can be found in Sharp's Spirit of Arkham diaries, and it's possible he may have hallucinated the incident.
"Do you have someone to go home to each morning, and I don't mean that kid you drag across the rooftops, I mean someone real, someone you can talk to?"-Joker worries about these things.
Joker believed himself the leading man in Batman's life, constantly trying to out do his previous atrocities. He came close to destroying Gotham several times, almost always outsmarted and certainly always out-muscled by the Dark Knight. While he saw the importance of a good supporting cast he never developed strong ties with the rest of Arkham's super criminals, preferring to keep the spotlight all to himself. He didn't even approve of Harley's friendship with Poison Ivy. He didn't seem to like the idea of Batman sharing the stage either and, in one of the most heartbreaking moments of the Dark Knight's life, killed Robin (or one of them at least) and unknowingly ended the career of Batgirl when he shot Commissioner Gordon's daughter, damaging her spine and confining her to a wheelchair for the rest of her life. The joke was on him though, as Barbara refused to let this tragedy define her and became Oracle, an invaluable hacking and information source for Batman's detective work. The Boy Wonder he killed got better too, and took up the mantle of the Red Hood.
Assault on Arkham IncidentEditDuring one crime spree the Joker kicked Harley out of their getaway car, leaving her to face the music while he focused on his schemes. He was eventually returned to Arkham, but not before stealing a 'dirty bomb' and hiding it inside his girlfriend's mallet.
When the Suicide Squad entered Arkham Asylum, Harley Quinn and Deadshot confront Joker in the Penitentiary (Located near the cell where Mr. Freeze is locked up). Immediately, Joker began by talking to Harley and laughing, commenting about how he pushed her out of a moving vehicle in the recent past. In a rage, Harley attempted to kill Joker by shooting at him. The glass being bullet-proof, she shot through one of the air holes in the cell until she ran out of bullets, almost killing Joker. Soon Harley told him that they were through, and she had moved on to a "new guy". This caused him to immediately frown and growl in response. She pointed out Deadshot who was dressed as a cop and taunted Joker again, asking if he was jealous, a claim the Joker denied poorly.
Later, Joker reflected on Harley and Deadshot being together. How he couldn't believe that she's moved on after everything he did for her. He began to rant and pace around the room saying he'd make more of her, make them where her skin, causing him to fantasize about how perfect and creamy her skin was. He stopped upon seeing a gap in the wall where Harley was shooting at in which he gleefully opened the wall to activate the door. After getting dressed, he stumbled upon Black Spider whom, unknown to him, was dressed as Batman. He then pointed his gun at his head, but before he could kill him, Spider's head exploded. Momentarily stunned and confused, the Joker looked at his weapon and comments that it was the "Best gun ever." Joker picked up the head to discovery it wasn't Batman; he overheard the Suicide Squad being zapped on the communicator in Spider's ear, saying he recognized that sound as it is "the sound of someone flossing their brain."
He immediately realized where they are, and made his appearance and began by shooting and throwing bombs. He then confronted the Suicide Squad, or rather Deadshot at which point Harley explained she was using them to help Joker escape; it was implied to be a lie. The two then fled, but not before Joker attempted to kill Deadshot for "touching his stuff". Though Deadshot claimed Joker's gun had no more bullets, Joker claimed that he was wrong, but fired the gun anyway, proving that he was right, Deadshot punched him in the face, but he and Harley escaped through a laundry shoot. He then demanded the mallet, in which he had hid his dirty bomb. He then released all of the inmates in Arkham in an attempt to stop Batman. During the riot, Deadshot escaped Arkham via a police helicopter, which unknown to him that Joker and Harley were also on board. Joker and Deadshot fought intensely and the helicopter crashed into a building, which threw everyone out. The two continued fighting, and Joker managed to severely injure Deadshot with his knives. Deadshot then threw Joker into the helicopter, which promptly fell out of the building and exploded, with Joker laughing all the way down. It was confirmed that his body was not found at the site, hinting that he was still alive.
Before Arkham Asylum Edit
"Skip the jokes? Hey, Sharpie, didn't she get my permanent record?"
The Joker resurfaced sometime later and was soon incarcerated at Arkham again. In an interview overseen by Warden Sharp he was introduced to the up and coming Dr. Penelope Young, who saw right through his various origin stories. Joker feigned forming a rapport with her but became genuinely interested in Young's 'Project Titan' research, a medical process based on Young's theory that improving a patient's physical condition would also improve their mental recovery.
Months later Dr. Young was pleasantly surprised to find that an anonymous benefactor, 'Mr. White', had donated a generous grant for her research. Soon after Bane was captured and quietly brought to Arkham Asylum so that Young could study him and the effects of Venom on the human body to design a more powerful variant of the formula. When discussing the Titan Project in public, Bane's involvement was kept secret, and he was referred to only as "Patient X". Officially, Bane was listed as an escapee from Blackgate Penitentiary. Unfortunately her initial Titan results were simply a more powerful form of Venom, which would temporarily increase the subject's muscle mass but actually impair their mental processes to the point of savagery. Young remained optimistic about her work until her next session with the Joker.
The Joker immediately dispensed with any civility, demanding to know Titan's status and giving away his knowledge of the project. A horrified Young realized that Joker had been her benefactor the entire time and was more than satisfied with the Titan Formula as it was. He'd seen the manpower potential of her work instantly and had spent months making sure she could provide him with the means to create an army of monsters. Young refused but didn't go public with the revelation to save face. She tried everything from returning the donations to actually putting a block on her account. Joker simply responded with multiple threatening emails, then escaped the Asylum.
If Dr. Young wouldn't give him his army, he'd make it himself.
Road to Arkham IncidentEditTwo months later the Joker and his goons raided Gotham City Hall, claiming that the city had "a paucity of parking spots designated for clown cars," and took the Mayor hostage, tying him up and strapping a bomb to his chest. As the Joker taunted the Mayor, he expressed annoyance that Batman hadn't shown up who ironically attacked moments later. Joker tried to escape via a large parachute but was stopped by Batman, who proceeded to personally escort him to Arkham Asylum in the Batmobile. In addition as a direct result of Joker's assault, the Mayor declared that he was resigning from his position, having had enough of the city. Batman, however, sensed that the Joker went down too easily.
Arkham Asylum IncidentEdit
Batman attempted to track down Gordon anyway, by detecting the alcohol Boles left in the air. The Joker soon caught onto the Batman's attempt and as a result had Boles killed, no longer needing him. The Joker took control of Arkham's intercom system, telling his goons to destroy the Batmobile as he took over the West side of Arkham Island.
His next target was the Medical Facility where he ordered his goons to round up all the doctors in the area, most importantly Penelope Young, who he needed the Titan formula from. To the Joker's annoyance, Batman defeated his goons and rescued the captive doctors. The Joker drew up a "party list" which contained the individuals who would help take care of Batman. He enlisted the help of the Scarecrow, who proceeded to attack Batman in the Morgue. After escaping Scarecrow's Fear Toxin hallucination, Batman made his way to Gordon, who was conveniently placed near Bane's holding cell.After Batman rescued Gordon from Harley, the Joker pumped a large amount of Titan into Bane, causing a fight with him and Batman. Joker was disappointed with Bane's inability to kill Batman, so he ordered his goons to assist him, though Batman defeated them all. The Joker's next order of business was to search Arkham Mansion for Dr. Young's formula, and Dr. Young herself, who had gone looking for said formula. After finding Zsasz in the Botanical Gardens, the Joker enlisted his help to deal with Dr. Young. Zsasz held Young hostage in Warden Sharp's office and threatened to kill her if he saw Batman approaching. Joker told Zsasz to just kill her, as she was useless to him since he had already gotten both Venom and Titan. Batman incapacitated Zsasz and rescued the doctor, though an explosion set by Joker in the Warden's safe killed Young anyway. Harley then entered and had her thugs prepare Batman for the "party". He defeated them and followed Harley, rescuing Sharp by tracking his DNA. Harley was shown releasing Poison Ivy from her cell, despite Ivy not being on the 'party list', much to Joker's apparent pleasure. He then unleashed the more violent, insane inmates all over the island.
Batman went after Harley, who sent her thugs after Batman again, though he managed to defeat them all. Harley's failure prompted Joker to remove her from the "party list", and Batman defeated and locked her up, using her DNA traces from around the island to track Joker to the gardens, where the villain unsuccessfully tried to slow Batman down after killing an Arkham guard, Thomas Armbruster.
He demonstrated the successful Titan strain he had managed to create by injecting two of his thugs with a dart gun filled with Titan and having them attack Batman before escaping. Batman defeated the monsters and pursued Joker, who revealed over the intercom that he had teamed up with Poison Ivy and injected her with Titan, causing her to become far more powerful and take control of the island surface with her evolved plants. Batman defeated Scarecrow and Killer Croc down in the sewers and successfully harvested the spores needed to make an antidote for the Titan injection in Croc's lair. Batman then went down further into the sewers and found that Joker was trying to pump Titan pollutants into Gotham, telling his men to stop Batman from preventing this in a threatening, serious manner. After Batman shut off the pumps, Joker sent a Titan monster as a token of his displeasure.
Batman defeated the monster and escaped the sewers. Driven by more power hunger, Ivy betrayed Joker and swore to go after him once Batman was killed. Joker assured her that he would be prepared for her with an army of Titan monsters, saying the she could "bring the wine" and he would "make the salad". Batman managed to defeat Ivy in the gardens. With all of the enemies on Joker's 'party list' defeated, Joker had his men set off several fire works directing Batman, the "guest of honor", to the "party" at the Visitor Center by the Cell Block. Rather than fight Batman, upon his arrival and confirmation of being on the 'guest list', the goons acted friendly, cheered him and allowed him safe passage.Batman found a bomb planted by Joker in the visitor center and upon its explosion, discovered the Joker's lair, a throne room atop various plastic toys from which he had been broadcasting to the island. Joker was holding Scarface the puppet and taking out his frustration on him by having a fictional argument before throwing him away. He then berates Batman for ruining everything by "Turning Bane into roadkill, feeding Scarecrow to Croc, 'slapping around' Harley Quinn, and destroying his precious venom plants." The villain then dispatched two Titan fueled security guards at Batman, who defeated them.
Joker then revealed that he had recaptured Gordon before he could escape back to Gotham. Firing a Titan-tipped dart at Gordon, Joker was overjoyed when Batman took the shot himself. However, he was angered when Batman resisted and fought off Joker's attempts to make him give in. Enraged that Batman would never allow him this final triumph, Joker shot himself with one of his Titan darts, claiming he had little more to live for. He quickly awoke and mutated into the most horrific Titan monster of all (possibly being his backup plan the whole time), while still retaining his intellectual faculties. He then directed the circling Gotham News helicopters and Jack Ryder to the rooftops of Arkham so that they could watch his final fight with Batman. Strapping Gordon to an electric chair above a makeshift fighting arena (making him the "referee"), the mutated Joker goaded Batman to give into his injection, as it was the only way they could be on even fighting terms. Batman refused and used the only antidote injection on himself, which the Joker found hysterical. The two, with assistance from Joker's henchmen, then fought a brutal battle, with Batman knocking Joker into the electrical generator used to torture Gordon.The Joker got up from the attack and said he could take anything Batman threw at him, and asked if the Dark Knight was ready for the next round. Spraying Explosive Gel onto his glove, Batman declared that he would never let Joker win and would always be prepared for his tactics. Enraged, Joker prepared to kill his relentless nemesis as Batman charged him. The gel on Batman's fist then detonated as he struck his opponent, finally incapacitating the most dangerous Titan subject of them all. Following the Joker's defeat, the GCPD then retook control of Arkham Island, recapturing the escaped inmates and watching over the Titan-powered henchmen as they returned to normal. Joker's transformation back to humanity was quite painful compared to others, culminating with the severe injuries he received in his battle with Batman. He was taken to his cell by several police officers and surviving Arkham security personnel, his plans having ultimately failed. While locked up and recovering from Titan's effects, Joker was left humiliated, angry, and thirsty for revenge. While he planned his next move, Joker began to notice his body was not healing well after being injected with Titan and began to fear that his defeat at Batman's hands may have cost him more than just being locked up again.
After Arkham Asylum IncidentEditAfter Batman stopped him from escaping Arkham Asylum, the Joker sat alone in his padded cell, knowing something was wrong. The first sign was an unusual, lump on his shoulder. He felt tainted. Weeks went by and ten more unusual lumps appeared. The TITAN had done something to him; Joker was dying. He knew it and soon so would anyone who saw him. The last thing he needed was to appear weak before his rivals. So one day at lunch, the Joker took a spoon and dug out another inmate's eyes, knowing this would get him solitary confinement. He could keep out of sights, at least until his transfer to Arkham City. The Joker needed an escape plan, and on the night of his transfer, Harley Quinn provided one. Disguised as an Arkham's guard, she overpowered the Joker's escorts and stole her puddin' away to a boat waiting on the island's quayside.
As the boat carrying the twisted pair sped off towards Gotham, it was joined by a second. A secret alarm placed by Batman had alerted him to the Joker's escape, and here he was in the Batboat, pursuing the fugitives. They ignored his orders to stop, so Batman opened fire. As Harley steered the boat to shore, missiles ripped the hull to pieces. They swam, the weakened Joker being pulled through the water by a distraught Harley, desperate to save her puddin'. She pulled the Joker out of the water to safety, somehow avoiding Batman's searchlight. She and the Joker sat there, gasping for breath, when they suddenly realized where they were: Arkham City.
After arriving at Arkham City, the Joker and Harley Quinn were eager to explore their new stomping ground. Reflecting that years had passed since the Penguin banned Joker from the club, they sought out the blue neon lights of the Iceberg Lounge. Harley pounded on the door, certain that Cobblepot would let bygones be bygones. The Penguin answered, a hulking guard at his side, and immediately reminded them of his ”no clowns” policy. He just managed to close the door before the acid from Joker's flower shot out at his face.
The original Scarface puppet was carved from the old gallows tree at Blackgate prison, and eventually fell into the hands of the meek Arnold Wesker, who'd disappointed his mafia family by showing more interest in ventriloquism than gunplay. Scarface became an unlikely mob boss in Wesker's hands--until Wesker was locked up in Arkham Asylum without his precious puppet. Forced to improvise, he scrounged up materials for a new Scarface--one left mute upon Wesker's departure from the asylum. When the Joker took over Arkham, he discovered Scarface in lock-up and took a liking to the puppet. Scarface quickly received a garish repaint and a new voice, complete with a demented laugh and a twisted sense of humor. When Batman shut down the Joker's riot at Arkham Asylum, it seemed the relationship between the newly demented Scarface puppet and the Clown Prince had ended—until one of the joker's old henchmen, Mugsy Binks, showed up at the Steel Mill in Arkham City. He's rescued Scarface from the old asylum, knowing it would buy him favor with Joker. And Mugsy was skillful enough to make a dozen more copies, freeing the Joker to mutilate any puppet that failed to amuse him. After all, another Scarface could quickly be built up for him to laugh with, abuse, and then break into pieces. Joker's only regret is that people aren't so easily toyed with and replaced. Or are they?
Being the first inmate in the city undetected, Joker plots to become the ruling elite in the Arkham City underworld and to use the facility for his own malicious designs and purposes and establishes his main base of operations in the Sionis Steel Mill, one of Black Mask's former company properties which Joker knew well from his time impersonating Sionis. Over the next several months, Joker begins renovating the factory into his classical image, complete with a roller-coaster death trap meant as a sadistic recruiting method to weed out the inmates with the best reflexes (those that jump from the coaster before the death plunge).
With Harley at his side, Joker begins to brutally recruit inmates once again for his new army, both old and new associates alike, and soon becomes one of the leading powers of Arkham City, rivaling that of Penguin and his gang. With Harley nursing him, Joker would soon gain some of his health back and would be well enough to walk without the use of a wheelchair, allowing him to embark on some of his plans himself.
Having firmly situated himself in the city, Joker begins to look to form several connections and partnerships to aid in his plans. He starts by paying a visit to Mr. Cobblepot, a.k.a, The Penguin, who was also one of the first inmates in the prison as he refused to move when the perimeter wall was built, believing that their bitter rivalry that started years ago was ancient history.
However, Penguin still remembers all the trouble Joker caused him over the years and refuses to even let him enter the Iceberg Lounge, shutting the door just before Joker squirts acid towards his face. With Penguin now back on his hit list, Joker makes it one of his goals to topple Penguin's power in Arkham City and slaughter him and his entire army. With both Joker and Penguin the first inmates in Arkham, they are seen as the major power-bases by other inmates to join in order to survive in the hellish domain.Lester Kurtz, arrives looking for a job and easily escapes the Joker's death traps and dispatches his goons. Joker, impressed, takes a liking to Lester and welcomes him into his gang, but also instructs his men to keep a close eye on him. Realizing that the Joker is a poor choice of employer, Lester bails out on the gang and goes looking for a job with Penguin. Joker is unsurprisingly furious to the point that he puts a bounty on Lester's head unaware of the fact that he's actually the latest alias of his hated enemy Batman.
Joker and his gang soon become embroiled in violent turf wars for control over Arkham City with other fractions and gangs. In order to ensure that no one could either confirm nor deny the rumor of his illness, Joker relays his orders through Harley while he remains in the shadows, cooking up his plans and operations in preparation of Batman's inevitable arrival in Arkham City. Joker also uses Harley to lead some of his men into making frequent raids on other inmates' supply of drugs in order to aid in his condition.
In addition to this, it seems that Joker has also been taking every precaution to prolong his fate, including abducting his doctor and forcing him to give him a diagnosis and isolate some of the Titan compound from his blood stream. The doctor, after informing Joker of his deteriorating condition and giving him the isolated Titan formula, is sent into the factory's old incinerator on Joker's roller-coaster.
At the same time, Joker begins to obtain several shipments of the Titan formula he sent off Arkham Island into Gotham prior to Batman spoiling his plans. However, he also knew that others such as the Penguin were likely to have obtained some of the shipments as well and uses the Titan he salvaged from his blood stream as a failsafe supply should the other shipments get stolen or destroyed. To this end, Joker uses the Titan in his possession to mass-produce large quantities of the chemicals once again and upgrade some of his gang, sending them out to kill anyone he sees as an obstacle in his plans for control over Arkham City.
Among them was Bane, who has been running a makeshift fighting ring in Arkham City, and is soon attacked by one of Joker's men, who is pumped up on Titan. Bane is defeated and nearly killed until Joker's thug's heart goes into cardiac arrest from the overuse of Titan and is mercy killed by Bane, who decides to locate and claim all the sources of Titan for himself once and for all, knowing just how dangerous it is, especially if used against him.Joker would also target many of the political prisoners within the city, most of them having been incarcerated simply because they knew too much about Arkham City, and have his gang use them as little more than slaves to do his bidding. Some of this would entail these individuals actually completing several tasks that would aid Joker in his ambitions for the war over control of Arkham City, but for the most part, they were used simply as another outlet for the Clown Prince of Crime to let his madness loose and torture and murder more innocents even within the confines of the country's most massive prison complex.
While Joker continues to be embroiled in the turf wars for control of the prison complex, Mugsy, an old time associate of the Ventriloquist, brings Scarface back to Joker as a favor to get back into Joker's gang, who is delighted to get his buddy back. Joker starts spending more time with Scarface than anyone else, making Harley jealous. Harley tosses Scarface into a boiler when Joker was not around, consoling Joker by saying that she slipped, but he tells her not to worry and brings out a new Scarface that Mugsy made for him.
While Joker hugs the dummy, it motions to his eyes with his fingers to Harley, implying that it's watching her and hinting that Joker may be intentionally using Scarface to mess with Harley's love for him for his own amusement and to make Harley more vicious and erratic in leading his plans and operations. Scarface is also the perfect means of abuse that Joker needs, with Mugsy creating a new one every time Joker gets bored with one, freeing him to mutilate, torture, and destroy any puppet that failed to entertain him.
With multiple unseen connections and pawns in place, Joker is prepared to launch his latest plans for the death and destruction of all of Gotham City and beyond. With his pending illness, Joker takes precautions to ensure that he is still seen as one of the leading powers in Arkham City and eventually conquer the new compound for himself. With his plaything of a manipulation, Harley Quinn, Joker issues orders that would eventually come to fruition to reveal a heinous plan that would be unleashed in Arkham City and violently erupt onto the unsuspecting citizens of Gotham City.
None know of the full extent of the Joker's plans, not even Hugo Strange himself, who assumes he has everyone in Arkham City under his control. Joker's plans would not only light up all of Gotham City with death and destruction, but would give him everything he has desired for the past year; power, revenge against Batman, a cure for his illness, incredible and unlimited numbers to command, and even immortality itself to continue wreaking death, chaos, and destruction for decades with no end in sight.
The Set UpEdit
- "So here's the thing. If you want to make sure that no one else finds out about your past, you should stop poking your nose into mine."
- ―Joker squares off with Strange
With Joker regarded as one of the most violent and historic criminals of all time, it wasn't long before Hugo Strange has him brought into his office in order to study and understand him, seeing Joker as the ultimate challenge for his psychological tactics. After having Joker brought in to start taped interview sessions, Hugo Strange reminds the Clown Prince of Crime that his remaining time left before his impending death is short, something even Joker admitted. Strange then offered to make a deal with the villain; if Joker allowed the doctor to study him, Strange would make Joker's last days more 'comfortable' in return, starting their alliance.
Throughout his alliance with Strange, Joker has the mad doctor round up dozens of medical doctors and physicians for him to help cure his illness. Regardless of how many doctors Strange abducts and brings into Arkham City, Joker seems more concerned and happy with torturing, mutilating, and murdering them rather than developing a cure.
Unknown to Strange, however, Joker has been using the doctors to drain large quantities of his poisoned blood and ship it off to emergency rooms all over Gotham City, infecting thousands of people with his illness. In return, Joker would tell Strange what it is that drove him over the edge of sanity, though all the stories he tells are nothing more than mere fabrications to hide the truth about his condition, which Strange later concludes after reading a dozen different origin stories Joker has told over the years.While Strange believed he knew everything the Joker could be planning, the Clown Prince of Crime shocked him when he revealed that he knew everything about Strange, including his experiments, his control over Quincy Sharp, and his insidious plans for Arkham City, threatening Strange that he would have all this information leaked to the authorities and public if he doesn't stop trying to uncover his past. Using his knowledge of this information further to blackmail Strange, Joker was able to obtain weapons from him (though Strange had his own designs for this course of action), had all the prison's food drops to be delivered right outside his territory, and gain inside information on the occurrences within Arkham City.
Joker eventually finds out that Strange had Mr. Freeze brought into Arkham City and is having him prepare countless medical drugs, chemicals, and serums for his plans by holding his wife, Nora Fries, hostage. Wanting Freeze's genius for himself to develop a cure, Joker has Strange bring Nora to him to use as collateral to make Freeze develop a cure. Leaving Nora in one of his warehouses and at the mercy of his henchmen, many of whom wish to unfreeze and rape her, Joker blackmailed Freeze to develop a cure, threatening to murder Nora if he fails to do so, though Joker planned to kill her regardless if Freeze succeeded or not.
However, Strange, fearing Joker's potential to ruin his plans, forms a pack with Penguin and helps him capture Freeze, lock him up in his Museum, and gain control of his weapons. Strange would still remain in contact with Joker, who was initially unaware of this betrayal, and continue to supply him with weapons as part of his plans to initiate Protocol 10, a military operation that Strange believes will make him famous and serve as a monument to Batman's failure and defeat.
Joker also begins to suspect Strange's ambitions to use Arkham City as a coverup to actually plan an exploitation of the situation to wipe out every single individual within the prison. To this end, Joker makes use of the construction equipment at the Steel Mill to build massive tunnels that connect to Gotham's sewers and subway system as a shelter for whatever Strange has planned to ensure that his army survives while the rest of his enemies are slaughtered.
These tunnels would also prove to be the perfect entry points into the other villains' territory in order to conquer their turfs and claim them as his own. Joker also saw Strange's true designs as a great way to wipe out his most hated enemies and in which, by the end of the conflict, his army would be the only force left standing, ready to tear down the walls of the prison and completely destroy Gotham City once and for all.Eventually, one of Joker's trump cards arrives as Basil Karlo, also known as Clayface, enters Arkham City completely undetected under Joker's orders. Assuming the guise of numerous inmates and security personnel alike, the monstrous mudpack eventually meets with his cryptic employer. Having formed an alliance with the dying clown during his imprisonment in Arkham Asylum, Clayface is quickly convinced to aid the Joker and embroils himself in the Clown Prince of Crime’s last megalomaniac master plan. Despite not actually being imprisoned in Arkham City, Clayface has sided with the Joker for one key reason; to play “the role of a lifetime”. At the request of the Joker, Karlo poses as the healthy crazed Clown Prince of Crime and willingly carries out the vast amounts of chaos the actual Joker would if he was capable.
With Clayface’s vast and nearly unstoppable abilities under his command, the Joker knew he would all but conquer Arkham City with everyone fooled by his double, including Hugo Strange. Next to doubling as him, the Joker used the feat of clay as a puppet of power to carry out his most extreme tasks; having the shape-shifter overlook all operations outside the Steel Mill alongside Harley, recruiting and building up his army into massive numbers, and ultimately convince a cold tempered Mr. Freeze to develop a cure for the clown’s growing illness (although Hugo Strange had already taken Fries’s wife, Nora, hostage by that point).
The Joker was almost sure he was clearing a pathway straight to his victory and with the spotlight focused on his doppelganger he knew that he could easily stay hidden in the shadows long enough to see through his countless plans; which coincidentally would also play into what would be Clayface’s final “performance” as well.
Joker would eventually use Clayface to disguise himself as various TYGER personnel to infiltrate their locations and obtain their equipment and even the card keys and codes needed to access structures right outside Arkham City's perimeter walls. With these items in his possession, Joker gains access to the Sionis Boat House, just next to his base, where he stores his most valuable weaponry, equipment, and plans; away from the prying eyes of Hugo Strange and his TYGER operatives who remain completely ignorant and blissful of the true magnitude of Joker's own operations.
Joker lastly used Clayface to infiltrate Arkham Island, now TYGER's main base of operations, to place dozens of explosives deep within the bowels of the Asylum as part of his alternative plans for Batman and Gotham, as well as to take out TYGER when the time was right. With everything in place and his plans completely unnoticed by even Hugo Strange and TYGER, Joker waits for Batman's inevitable arrival in Arkham City, where their most brutal and psychological battle will play out.
Arkham City Lockdown IncidentEdit
Batman fights Joker's thugs across the Gotham rooftops before encountering the Joker, who promptly starts setting off explosives in the surrounding buildings before Batman manages to catch up with him and beat him down.
Arkham City IncidentEdit
Each and every day, the war for control over Arkham City would escalate and become more chaotic and violent as Joker relished in the mass amounts of chaos, destruction, torture, murder, and mutilation he brought to the streets. In love with the very madness he creates, Joker is not concerned in the slightest about his opponents in the turf wars as he has already begun to lay the foundations of his megalomaniac plans and implement his numerous trump cards that only he and a select few know about. Before long, Joker would obtain everything he needed to conquer Arkham City and find the means to obtain complete power and control to destroy Gotham.
As Bruce Wayne is abducted and brought into Arkham City under Hugo Strange's orders, Joker's crew have seized control of the Arkham City Medical Facility, built inside the Gotham Cathedral, and have captured all the medical staff in order to claim all the chemicals and drugs for themselves. With Harley leading the operation, Joker's thugs also abduct a doctor, Stacy Baker, who previously diagnosed Joker, under his orders to bring her to him for an update on his condition.
Knowing that Two-Face is stationed in the Solomon Wayne Courthouse near the cathedral, planning to execute Catwoman to showcase his might, Joker also intends to ambush the operation to spoil Two-Face's plans, kill Catwoman himself, and grab Batman's attention. As Batman infiltrates the courthouse, defeats Two-Face's men, rescues Catwoman, and strings Two-Face upside down over a pit of acid, Joker sees his opportunity to implement a surprise attack. Using a remote controlled sniper rifle that Harley set up in the cathedral tower, Joker attempts to assassinate Catwoman, though his primary motive was simply to coax Batman into tracking him down as part of an elaborate trap.At the same time, Joker also begins sending groups of his men to find Mr. Freeze, who mysteriously disappeared, and to also enter Two-Face's territory and attack Dent's men in order to take advantage of his dwindling numbers. After making his way into the Smelting Chamber, Batman rescues Stacy, defeats all of Joker's bodyguards, and finally enters the office of the Clown Prince of Crime himself. When he enters the office, Batman finds Harley crying over a seemingly lifeless Joker in a wheelchair. However, this is all part of Joker's plans as he fakes his own death in order to divert Batman's attention, allowing the hero to become vulnerable to a surprise attack. Batman is soon gassed by Clayface disguised as Joker from behind (Batman believes that the Joker in the wheelchair was simply a dummy) and then beaten into unconsciousness by Harley with a bat, at which point Joker firmly ties Batman to a wheel chair, tapes a phone to his chest, and sticks a syringe in his throat to transfer his poisoned blood into Batman's body. With Batman now infected with the same disease as Joker, Joker insists that Batman follow his commands in order to get a cure for the disease from Mr. Freeze. Though Batman is willing to die if that means the end of the Joker, the villain reveals one of his trump cards; thousands of innocent people in Gotham are also infected with his blood.
Revealing that poisoning Gotham City is a separate plot from Protocol 10, Joker rolls the wheelchair outside the window, telling the Dark Knight that he will keep in touch with the phone he taped to him. However, Joker plans to not only use Batman to obtain the cure but also as his greatest asset in the turf wars in Arkham City in order to defeat his rivals. Batman, realizing he has no choice but to find the cure to save Gotham once again, allows Joker to send him on several missions to obtain the cure.
Meanwhile, a portion of Joker's crew have split up into two groups with one killing Penguin's crew outside the old GCPD Building, where Freeze was previously stationed, and one moving into Two-Face's territory and massacring all of Dent's crew and rounding up any stragglers for information on where Freeze is currently.
Keeping in contact with his longtime enemy through phone calls, Joker eventually sends Batman to rescue Mr. Freeze from Penguin, knowing that this will also topple Cobblepot's power in Arkham City and eliminate a major opponent in his control for Arkham City. Once Batman defeats Penguin's forces, saves Mr. Freeze, and puts Penguin out of commission, Joker immediately takes advantage of this new tide in the battle and has his men slaughter hundreds of Penguin's men and press any survivors into joining him. Using the sewers systems and tunnels that Joker's crew had made over the previous months, Joker's followers infiltrate Penguin's territory and begin claiming it for themselves.
At the same time, Joker sends his men to retrieve the last shipment of weapons from Hugo Strange under the foundations of Wonder Tower, Hugo Strange's base of operations, which would contain the most devastating weaponry including missile launchers, sniper rifles, rocket launchers, automated assault rifles, mines, high frequency power generators, thermal trackers, and much more.
With his increased firepower, Joker takes Arkham City by storm, conquering nearly the entire compound with only a small portion of Two-Face's territory left and leaving a trail of death and destruction in his wake. Almost every prisoner within Arkham City would be forced to join Joker's army, making Joker the ruling elite on the streets while Two-Face's men were being rounded up and tortured for information in the Steel Mill. However, Joker was still in desperate need of the cure and feared that perhaps Batman has actually failed or turned on him as he has not heard from him in hours.
Taunting Batman through phone calls with dubious clues about what he is truly planning, Joker was relieved to learn Batman has found the means to develop the cure and has Freeze create enough for both of them. However, Freeze destroys one of vials of the cure and refuses to give Batman the remaining one, which he locked up in his safe, until he saves his wife from Joker. Batman, knowing how little time he has left, fights Freeze for the cure. Joker in the meantime, having planned to double-cross Batman the entire time, sends Harley to steal the cure (and to also murder several of his henchmen for failing to capture Freeze) while Batman and Mr. Freeze are fighting by cutting the wall open located behind the safe and pilfering the cure.
In place of the cure, Harley leaves two Joker cards, with one being a faxed version and the other being a physical card, which are actually clues to what Joker's plans truly consisted of, to taunt Batman. Joker also orders Harley to steal some of Freeze's offensive equipment in order to increase his weaponry after successfully obtaining the cure. With Harley on her way to deliver the cure, Arkham City under his complete control, his increased weaponry, and Protocol 10 just under an hour away from commencement, Joker begins making his plans to blow the walls of Arkham City and form escape routes to lay a bloody siege on Gotham City and completely destroy it and wipe out all its citizens. To this end, Joker begins placing explosives all around the perimeter walls, ready to be detonated when the rest of his plans are in place. As all supplies, ammunition, and weapons are prepared and stored away for transportation, Joker motivates his army and prepares them for the massive attack on the city.
With Batman having accomplished everything he was blackmailed to do, Joker is delighted to begin his cat and mouse game with his old enemy and friend anew. To renew his game with Batman, Joker makes an anonymous phone call to the Gotham Tonight Show to inform the staff there that Batman was in Arkham City in order to lure news reporter, Vicki Vale, to the city. Once Vale was in the perimeters of the city in her news chopper, Joker takes over her broadcast to taunt her and then fires a rocket at her chopper, causing her to crash land in Arkham City.
With Vale's chopper destroyed and her pilot dead, Joker sends some of his men to kill the helpless reporter with sniper rifles, knowing that this will force Batman out into the open and serve as a diversion while Harley returns to the Steel Mill with the completed cure. Batman neutralizes the threat and rescues Vale, at which point Joker contacts him again, telling him that if he wants the cure, it will be waiting for him in the Steel Mill. With all the pieces in place, Joker is prepared to start the next phase of his plans and obtain the main objective of his schemes; finding the Lazarus Pit, which was hidden somewhere under Arkham City, to obtain immortality and absolute power and assume control over the League of Assassins.
However, just as Harley Quinn was about to reach Joker with the completed cure, Talia al Ghul, also in Arkham City to aid in her father's operations, intercepts her, ties her up, and steal the cure. Joker soon realizes that something must have went wrong and resorts to an alternative, knowing that he needs to have his gang under the impression that he was cured to motivate them to attack the rest of Arkham City and Gotham.
He then has Clayface utilize his abilities to assume his appearance once again and sends out a video taped message all throughout the Steel Mill to make his forces believe him to be completely cured and ready to lead them in full force once again. This works beautifully as all his men prepare for their final siege of Arkham as Joker concentrates his efforts on securing the Lazarus Pit. In the meantime, he also sends out a handful of his men to the Gotham Radio Tower near his base to take control of the broadcast frequencies and implant a message from him to all of Gotham as part of a fail-safe plot.After rescuing Nora Fries from his henchmen and retrieving Freeze's stolen equipment, Batman eventually confronts Joker, who is staring into a mirror and appears perfectly healed, though his reflection curiously shows him still sick, at the top of the Steel Mill. However, the reality was that Clayface was still posing as the healthy Joker while the real Joker was on the other side of the mirror, escaping from the Mill through this diversion.
Batman eventually defeats this Joker and dozens of his men, but is soon surprised when TYGER helicopters suddenly begin firing missiles at the Mill and all over Arkham City under Strange's orders, revealing that Protocol 10 is actually a security measure to wipe out the entire inmate population through missile attacks. TYGER continues raining down death and destruction onto the city, destroying the room and pinning Batman under the rubble. Clayface as Joker, gleeful, prepares to carve a smile into his face when Talia al Ghul interrupts him and offers him immortality in return for Batman's life.When Batman warns Talia not to do so, Talia presents her sword to the Joker, who gladly accepts it and agrees to lead the league, planning on taking advantage of Talia's knowledge of the Lazarus Pit to finally locate it. Leaving Batman, hundreds of his own crew, and even Harley Quinn, at the mercy of Protocol 10, Joker is led to the very building that is directly located over the Lazarus Pit Chamber, the Monarch Theater.
Contacting his forces, Joker orders the rest of his vast army to take shelter in the tunnel systems that they have constructed over the months to wait for Protocol 10 to end and the rest of their adversaries slaughtered before emerging back onto the streets to start the final phase of his plans. At the same time, he sends a handful of his henchmen down to Wonder City to retrieve all the Wonder City Robots, planning on reprogramming them to serve as weapons once he assumes leadership of the League of Assassins and commences his massive attack on Gotham.
While it seems that Talia betrayed Batman, she truly intends to lure the Joker aside and kill him while Batman tracks her down using one his trackers that Talia equipped on her person. Batman, however, knows that Talia is the one in danger and, true to his prediction, Joker easily outsmarts and overpowers her at the Theatre, holding her hostage to ensure that Batman arrives at the Theater for their final performance. Joker finally prepares the last steps of his plans; setting up an arena for an incredible showdown with his old friend and eternal enemy.
Turning the Monarch Theater into his own personnel arena, Joker rigs explosives all over the floors and walls, knowing that the key to immortality he so desperately craves was underneath his very feet. With Protocol 10 wiping out the rest of the competition, Joker counted on Batman to take down Strange and come to him for their final battle. As Joker waits for Batman's arrival, he records one final message that is meant to be communicated to Batman in the event of his death. Once recorded, Joker gives it to his henchmen to be stored within the Steel Mill as part of his contingency plans to destroy Gotham. Once the rest of Gotham's super-criminals were killed off in Protocol 10 and Strange was taken down by Batman, Joker would be able to take complete control of the entire criminal underworld and lead the whole inmate population of thousands of bloodthirsty and sadistic mass murderers, serial killers, and rapists to blow the walls of the prison, stage a coup against TYGER and steal the rest of their equipment and armory, and erupt onto the streets of Gotham in an orgy of bloodletting.
With the League of Assassins under his complete control, the powers of immortality at his disposal, the most technologically advanced military grade weaponry known to man in his possession, and the sheer amount of numbers in his forces to command, Joker relished at all the death and destruction he could bring to Gotham and the world for centuries with nothing in existence to stop or kill him.
After Batman stops Protocol 10, all TYGER forces are neutralized, Wonder Tower is destroyed, and Hugo Strange and Ra's al Ghul, the secret benefactor behind Strange's plans and operations, are killed. With everything in place, Joker has his men conquer what's left of Arkham City and patrol the streets as he takes control of the prison's monitor and communication systems to challenge Batman to a final showdown at the Monarch Theatre.
Batman soon arrives, subdues all of Joker's crew, and enters the very Theatre where his life as a crime fighter began to take root. With Talia at gunpoint, Joker demands the cure from Batman, confusing the hero as he believed Joker already had it and cured himself. In the confusion, Talia grabs the sword she presented to Joker and runs him through with it, seemingly killing The Joker once and for all.
As Talia reveals she stole the cure from Harley Quinn before she could deliver it to Joker, Batman looks at his hated enemy, believing that his death was an unnecessary casualty and tells Talia that there is always an alternative tactic to defeating an enemy. Talia defends her course of action to Batman by stating that it was a necessary one in order to save him and comforts the hero, assuring him that the long night of chaos and destruction instilled by the Joker, Hugo Strange, and her father, was finally over.However, realizing that it's never simple with the Joker, Batman begins to rethink all the strange occurrences throughout the night; a seemingly dead Joker dummy in a wheelchair, the two versions of the Joker card left in place of the cure, and a healthy Joker looking into a mirror that reflected a sickly Joker. Connecting them all together, Batman realizes the truth: there was always two Jokers. Surmising that since Joker never received his cure, Batman immediately concludes that the healed Joker was not the real one and turns to Talia just as he heard a gun cocking in the distance. Batman, screaming out to Talia in vain, is too late to warn her and watches in pain as she is shot fatally in the back. Falling into the arms of her beloved, Talia apologizes to Batman for her carelessness with her last breath and dies as the insane laughter of the one, true Joker reveals himself in front of the movie projector holding the gun he shot Talia with.
Still sick and nearing death, Joker aims his gun at Batman next, demanding for Batman to hand over "his cure". The healthy Joker finally reveals himself to Batman as Clayface, having been smuggled into Arkham City under Joker's orders to take up the spotlight and divert attention from his true plans; Clayface agreed to assist Joker for the chance to play the role of a lifetime and then take on Batman's persona after killing him.
Clayface grabs the cure before Batman can, absorbs it into his body, and starts an incredible battle with the Dark Knight, using all his abilities to the fullest of their potential. With Joker watching the spectacle from the balcony, the fate of Gotham City and the world at large hung in the balance of this final showdown as Batman's own life was merely moments away from death. However, Batman is able to use Freeze Blasts that were manufactured and given to him by Mr. Freeze in return for saving his wife to stop Clayface in his tracks and retrieve the sword still stuck within him from Talia's attack. Batman then proceeds to cut Clayface into pieces with the sword, at which point the Joker, after making a tasteless joke about Talia's death, detonates the bombs on the floor for a "change of scenery."
As the floor explodes, Batman and Clayface are violently thrown down into the Lazarus Chamber, where their brutal fight continues. Clayface, now greatly weakened, begins isolating portions of his body into small soldiers to attack Batman as he attempts to compose his body mass once more. However, Batman, still wielding Talia's sword, is able to cut through Clayface's forces and throw freeze grenades into his body, freezing him once again. The dying hero then enters Clayface's body, retrieves the cure, and cuts him clean open, incapacitating the monster once and for all. Batman, having retrieved the cure finally, drinks it and cures himself of the Titan disease, while also keeping half to cure Joker and the rest of Gotham.
Joker, unshaken by Clayface's defeat, prepares to jump into the Lazarus Pit to claim immortality once and for all and become the new leader of the League of Assassins. However, much to Joker's dismay, Batman throws the sword into the main generator, causing it to falter and knocking what's left of Clayface into the Pit. The controls and remaining generators go critical as a result as Clayface's body matter contaminates the chemicals of the pit, resulting in an explosion that completely destroys the pit and most of the room.
With his plans ultimately ruined, Joker demands his last hope from Batman, taunting him that despite all the death and destruction he caused in just a single night, Batman will still save him. Batman voices his hatred of the Joker and his temptation to refuse him the cure and let him die, knowing that he will only continue to break out and kill if left alive and locked up. Laughing at the absurdity of their never ending battle, Joker stabs Batman in the arm, causing him to drop the vial, which shatters onto the floor. Joker screams in horror as Batman throws him to the ground and tries in vain to drink the cure from the floor.Accepting that he will ultimately die, Joker asks Batman if he is happy now and calmly sits on the ground. As the Joker's health begins to reach its ultimate low, Batman reflects on the irony and humor in that Joker was actually correct; despite his crimes, Batman would have still saved him. The Joker agrees with Batman and also finds the situation genuinely funny, laughing and coughing soundly in his final moments before he finally succumbs to his Titan poisoning, dying with a smile on his face.
Pitying his long time nemesis, Batman grimly picks up and carries Joker's corpse out of the Monarch Theater; as the doors open, Joker's gang is outside chanting his name, expecting to see their leader triumphantly striding out and having defeated by Batman once and for all. They all go completely silent when they see The Dark Knight carrying The Clown Prince of Crime motionless in his arms. Among the gang outside the theater is Harley Quinn, who gasps and falls to her knees, sobbing uncontrollably as she sees the Joker's limp body being carried away by Batman. Batman finally carries Joker's corpse through the main gate of Arkham City and into Gotham City, where the GCPD have gathered in preparation to retake the area from the rampaging criminals. He places the Joker's body on the GCPD patrol car of James Gordon, who is also shocked to see Batman's greatest nemesis dead and repeatedly asks him what happened, only to be met with silence. Over the following weeks, as Arkham City is shut down, Batman would see to it that a massive quantity of the cure for the Titan disease would be manufactured and administered to all of Joker's victims, curing them and saving their lives.After years of death, misery, and tragedy, The Joker, The Clown Prince of Crime, and Batman's greatest threat and arch-nemesis was gone at long last. However, unknown to Batman at the time, not all of the late clown's plots have been foiled as Joker had laid out a series of contingency plans and operations in the event of his death that have already taken effect. With Harley and the rest of Joker's followers ensuring that his legacy will be upheld, Joker's back up schemes would rock Gotham to its very core and continue to plague Batman. Even in death, The Clown Prince of Crime would wreak havoc Gotham and continue his cat and mouse game with Batman.
After Arkham City IncidentEditJoker's death has deeply affected both Harley Quinn emotionally and mentally, making her more vicious and temperamental, and Batman, who hasn't been the same, being even unable to say a word about what happened during the last time he was in Arkham City. His death has also caused the creation of Harley's revenge plan on Batman.
Not long after his death, Joker's corpse was immediately taken to the hospital for an autopsy. Initial search revealed his body had a secondary layer of skin on top of the decaying one, and a box containing a flash drive, with a message "Do Not Open Till X-Mas" written on it, hidden under that layer. One of the doctors attempted to remove the box, only to trigger a Joker Gas booby trap. Afterwards Commissioner Gordon, believing that the Joker is just as dangerous dead than he was alive, decides to take his corpse away and hide it from the rest of Gotham, letting only Batman in on its location.
Two weeks later, Harley escapes from her prison, reforms her old gang at the Steel Mill, and she kidnaps various GCPD Officers and even creates a shrine to Joker. While looking for the officers, Batman comes across a message left by Joker before his death but decides to put it off until later. After going to rescue the kidnapped cops, Batman is shot by Harley and put in a sphere in the Joker robot in a comatose state. After 2 days, Robin goes to rescue Batman and stop Harley's plans.
After rescuing Batman, Batman himself goes to deactivate the bombs before the facility blows up while Robin goes to take the officers out of the building, and after deactivating them, Batman goes to arrest Harley and discovers that it was she who stole the Mechanical Guardians from Wonder City and uses them to attack Batman and, after defeating them, he discovers Harley's ultimate plan, destroy the entire facility and killing everyone in it including herself, so she can reunite with her beloved Mr. J. Batman manages to escape the blast radius along with an angered Harley, but it appears that Robin was caught in the explosion, and taking advantage of the situation, Harley tries to stab Batman with a knife to finish her revenge, only to be stopped by Robin, who throws a Shuriken at her, knocking her out. Seeing that Robin and the cops are okay, Batman leaves the area.
The day after, a posthumous message by Joker was broadcast to all of Gotham, including Batman. Joker warranted a search for his dead body to be returned to Harley Quinn, with the prize money of 100 million dollars, or several bombs rigged around Arkham City's wall will go off, releasing its remaining inmates onto the streets of Gotham. Joker also left behind a message for Batman to go to Arkham Asylum, to retrieve the code that can be used to deactivate the bomb. This, however, turned out to be a trap, as the bombs are actually placed within Joker's cell in the asylum by Clayface, in order to lure Batman. The trap caused a large explosion, destroying a portion of the asylum. Batman, however, managed to survive, and later contacted Gordon to meet up. The Joker would later be cremated with both Gordon and The Dark Knight present. Gordon handed Batman the flash drive that was found in Joker's body, which he would later analyze in the Batcave. Inside was a video recording entitled "The Last Will and Testament of the Joker", where he explained his reasoning for inducing chaos in Gotham. Not long after this, Gordon was somehow affected by Joker's toxin, forcing Batman to break Harley Quinn out of prison in order to find the location of the antidote for the toxin. Batman, while able to find the antidote, was led into a trap, and had to battle Killer Croc, With the help of Aaron Cash, Batman was able to immobilize Croc and cure Gordon in time.
Batman: Arkham KnightEdit
Nine months after Arkham City's shutdown, Joker's death and the ultimate failure of his plans leads Gotham City to a time of peace with crime dramatically decreasing to nearly zero for the first time in years. Without Joker's chaotic and murderous presence plaguing the streets of Gotham, citizens have never felt safer and other criminals have become much more quiet and relatively neutral. Fearing that something was developing behind the scenes, Batman continues to keep a dedicated vigil over the city and develops new technology as he continues to struggle with his feelings over his nemesis' death. However, without Joker's hold over the criminal underworld, a power vacuum is left in place as other villains begin to seize the opportunity to gain control over the criminal element for their own designs.
Ultimately, Scarecrow, returning after years of hiding and plotting after Killer Croc's attack on him underneath Arkham Asylum, which left the villain horribly scarred and deformed, manages to take over the criminal underworld and unites all of Batman's enemies. Knowing that Gotham City will never truly be theirs to conquer and twist to their desires with Batman still alive, the villains agree to temporarily collaborate in order to finally achieve their common goal; the death of Batman. With Joker's presence gone, the remaining members of Batman's rouges gallery have a much easier time working together without the Clown Prince of Crime upsetting the balance and have been silently working together for the past year to unleash an elaborate plot to destroy Batman and conquer the city he vowed to protect.
Having consolidated all of the city's worst criminals and villains, Scarecrow instigates an evacuation of Gotham City on Halloween night under the threat of his new strain of fear gas, developed over the last couple of years, being unleashed from within chemical weapons and bombs hidden throughout the city. With the city evacuated, only police officers are left as the villains and their respective gangs, now all working together, begin to take over the streets and create chaos and destruction all over Gotham.
With the aid of an incredible, militarized force under the control of a new figure in Gotham, known only as the Arkham Knight, whose goal is similarly to destroy Batman for unknown reasons and purposes, Scarecrow and his allies manage to conquer all of Gotham and use its resources to manufacture more of his toxin, among other weapons, to cover the entire east coast in chaos. Harley Quinn herself joins the alliance with her own plans to avenge Joker's death and ensure that the villain's legacy lives on throughout Gotham City and the world beyond.
As Gotham descends into chaos, Batman attempts to neutralize the threat by infiltrating ACE Chemicals, the factory having been converted into Scarecrow and Arkham Knight's base of operation. Scarecrow manufactures massive quantities of his fear toxin within the chemical mixing plant and rigs the entire factory to blow, which would cause all of Gotham and the entire East Coast to be engulfed in a paralyzing wave of fear toxin. Though Batman manages to reach Scarecrow, the villain quickly turns the table of the Dark Knight by revealing that his forces are currently attacking Oracle's clock tower, having deduced that Barbara Gordon has been aiding Batman's war on crimes for countless years.
As Batman attempts to communicate to Oracle, Scarecrow locks him in the room as his new strain of fear toxin is pumped throughout. Accepting that there is little chance of survival, Batman willing stays behind to reduce the amount of fear toxin in the facility before it explodes, leaving the city safe. However, before he can finish, he is shocked to come face to face with a TITAN infected Joker, who proceeds to knock him out with a gunshot to the head.
When he comes to, Batman realizes the horrifying truth that Joker's previously infected blood, injected into his veins by the villain nine months prior, is allowing Joker's consciousness to take control of his mind. Scarecrow's fear toxin has now accelerated the process and enabled Batman to see the Joker, the man who represents many of his greatest fears, though he alone is able to hear and see him. Joker reveals that he previously accepted the possibility of death within Arkham City and took precautions to ensure that he lives on through his poisoned blood, which was delivered to Gotham's hospitals. Most of the victims who were administered the blood were cured by Batman and his allies, but some fell under the radar due to hospital records never making note of their transfusions. By the time Batman cured them, the Joker's blood already became assimilated into their bloodstream and with it, Joker's consciousness, with each one taking on different aspects of the Joker's personality .Now nothing but mere pawns to the late Clown Prince of Crime, these individuals performed violent mass murders and acts of extreme sadism and megalomania until Batman was able to quarantine them underground in an abandoned Amusement Park he has since converted into a safety facility. The only victim that does not seem to show any symptoms of becoming another Joker is Henry Adams, a school principal, but it kept under surveillance by Batman and Robin as he may be the key to curing the others.However, Joker's ultimate trump card came in the massive transfusion he performed on Batman within Arkham City, as the Joker truly lusted to take control of Batman's mind and body and become one with the hero, and the combination of Scarecrow's Fear Toxin and Joker's contaminated blood has now allowed the infection and Bruce's darker side to take on the form of a Joker who not only taunts Batman as usual but also knows his identity, and taunts him on a personal level from time to time. With Joker in his mind, the psychopath now has access to all his secrets and plans to use Bruce's company, equipment, funds, and resources to murder all his enemies, consolidate all the gangs under his criminal empire, kill all of Batman's allies, and ultimately lead a campaign of violence on Gotham and the world itself.
Throughout the long and brutal night, Joker's control over Batman progresses, causing the hero's sanity to dwindle to the ultimate level and see and hear Joker everywhere as the villain recounts the countless, inhuman crimes he performed throughout his life, including the mutilation and murder of an entire kindergarten class and replacing baptism water at a church with acid. Batman himself begins reliving particularly brutal events in his life orchestrated by the Joker, including the paralysis of Barbara Gordon, and the abduction and horrendous torture of Jason Todd, the second Robin, which lasted for over a year in an abandoned wing of Arkham Asylum and ended with Joker brutally murdering him and videotaping the entire event for Batman's eyes.
It would later be revealed that Jason is in fact the Arkham Knight, having survived Joker's attack as the villain's true goal was to turn Batman's sidekick against him. Having named himself after the facility in which he was tortured for over a year, Jason lusts to kill Batman for not only failing to find him, but replacing him. Stating that nothing could be further from the truth, Batman tells Jason that he never forgave himself for what happened and pleads to not let Joker win as this is what he wanted to happen with his torture. While Jason escapes as Bruce reaches out to his son, he finally begins to realize just how much Bruce still loves him and did in fact desperately try to find him during his abduction.
Meanwhile, it is revealed that Henry Adams, previously believe to be immune to the effects of Joker's blood, is actually the victim that is the most affected and was simply pretending to still be sane. With Joker's influence taking hold of him, Henry makes contact with Harley Quinn and reveals the existence of the other Jokers to her and the pair make their plans to fool Batman in order to gain entry to the quarantine zone. When the time was right, Henry switched the security measures to allow Harley and her gang in and release the other Joker victims and attempted to kill Robin. Upon losing contact with Robin, Batman heads to the amusement park and is able to neutralize all the Jokers and apprehend Harley. However, Henry reveals his hand and, after cruelly taking Harley hostage, murders the rest of the Jokers with a gun, believing them to be shames of the original Joker.
Henry then draws his gun on Batman, as Joker's influence becomes stronger on the Dark Knight, with Joker commenting throughout the entire course of events. Joker then deduces that, though Henry is an impressive host for him, he still can not compare to Batman and uses his consciousness to influence Henry into committing suicide, resulting in all four innocent host having their lives ruined and taken by the same influence. Batman contains Harley to one of the quarantine cells as Joker continues to taunt him with his impending loss of free will and sanity.
Joker's moment for victory seems assured when he and Batman engage in a brutal, mental battle within Crime Alley and ends with the Dark Knight breaking his nemesis's neck, albeit only in his mind. With this, Joker knows he is pushing Batman towards his ultimate limit. Joker fully takes control over the hero when Scarecrow traps the hero at the Arkham Mansion and exposes Batman's identity to the world as Bruce Wayne in front of live television, finally injecting him with a lethal dose of fear toxin. With Joker now controlling his mind, the villain imagines all the violence he can perform and laughs insanely at the imagined carnage, as he began a massacre in his own twisted Batmobile, before continuing to murder Killer Croc, Penguin, Riddler, and Two-Face but underestimates the fact that he too must feel the effects of the toxin.
While initially confident that the toxin would have no effect on him as he seemingly has no fears, Joker becomes very disturbed and progressively frightened at the new surroundings around him, including his body being cremated, his grave shown to be small, overgrown and vandalized, no one (except a crying Harley) attending his wake, a radio broadcast explicitly detailing that no-one would remember him before an announcement regarding the construction of a Batman museum focused on his rivalry with his greatest foe, the Penguin and Gotham, Batman, and even Harley forgetting about him. Joker eventually realizes that, with all the horror he's inflicted on others, no one would mourn or miss him, and his legacy would soon be forgotten as Gotham and Batman move on with their lives. Now genuinely frightened that he was trapped within the nightmare and he would not be remembered by anyone, Joker is stalked by an invulnerable Batman and continued on through an empty graveyard where he was continiously haunted by an exponentially increasing number of Batman statues. Finally, as Joker reached the center of Batman's psyche, Batman ambushed Joker and punched him hard, sending Joker against a hard wall. Joker then uses his weapon to blow away the wall and is slightly relieved when he believes that he has found an exit.
Ironically, this was nothing more than a ruse by Batman, having finally turned the tables on his hated nemesis and is regaining control of his mind. Batman reveals to the Joker that the villain is terrified of being ashes and being forgotten and that he will indeed be forgotten by everyone. For the first time in their battles, Joker is truly horrified and helpless against Batman as he is severely beaten and thrown into a cell within Arkham Asylum. As Batman locks the door to the cell, Joker screams and desperately pleads with the hero not to imprison, leave, and forget him, as he will then be locked away within his mind forever, telling the hero "I need you!". Batman, having finally realized that Joker was always at his mercy, bids one final goodbye to his nemesis and locks him away in his personal hell in the Extreme Isolation wing of Arkham Asylum forever as Joker slowly sobs and fades away.
Immediately afterwards, Batman regains his mind and sanity and, having built up a tolerance to the fear toxin and freed by a redeemed Jason Todd (now donning the image of the Red Hood), injects Scarecrow with his own toxin. Scarecrow is reduced to a pathetic and cowering man in front of live television and screams insanely as his fears take control and sees Batman as a demonic figure, until Gordon punches the villain out. Humiliated, beaten, and mentally broken, Scarecrow is taken to the GCPD jails, where he would remain locked up for the rest of his life with his fellow criminals.
As Gotham returns to peace, Joker's legacy would slowly be forgotten with the villain not only dead, but locked away in his own, personal hell, alone and forgotten for the rest of time. With his legacy forgotten and Batman putting the past behind him, the Joker has finally lost and is gone forever in body and spirit.
During the end credits, Joker's hallucinatory ghost is heard singing "Who's Laughing Now", realizing that he is trapped forever and only remembered as nothing more than a bad memory best left forgotten before breaking down, crying uncontrollably.
Joker is set to appear as the main antagonist of the prequel Batgirl story DLC A Matter of Family.
A special download for Arkham Asylum exclusive to the PlayStation 3 allowed players to take control of the Joker. He had his own attacks and challenge maps in which he must fend off Arkham's security guards trying to apprehend him. During combat, Joker employed a spray can of his lethal laughing gas, a revolver handgun, and his joy buzzer as special attacks. Joker used his impressive hand-to-hand abilities to punch, slap, kick, and poke out eyes. During stealth missions where Joker must dispose of Arkham's security on patrol, he could use a pair of glasses called specs to see through walls and identify guards, similarly to Detective mode, though he can't move while using them. The Joker also fights specific characters, including guards Aaron Cash, Henry Smith, Eddie Burlow, Zach Franklin, William North, and Louie Green, as well as Commissioner Gordon. The challenge maps were divided into melee and stealth challenges. The melee challenges pitted Joker in an arena-like room to face off against a number of security guards who came in to face the Clown Prince of Crime in groups. The stealth challenges were when the Joker must defeat all the Arkham guards without being detected in a large area of Arkham Asylum complete with nooks and crannies for the Joker to hide in. He also had Joker Teeth that exploded, destroyed walls and killed enemies.
In Arkham Origins Online, Joker was a playable character, through activating the marked door by the Joker's Elites allowing the player to take control of him. Due to Joker's unique characteristic, he had the potential to turn the battle in his favor making him an ideal character to have in combat, and very effective in killing Bane's Elites & Heroes. In combat, Joker had no special abilities, he's marked, his health bar does not regenerate & he does not respawn after being defeated. But he had unlimited sprinting, had opposing Elite's marked, melee from Elites & Heroes was not very effective, a melee joy buzzer that effectively killed both Elites and Heroes, and a larger amount of health compared to the Elites and Heroes to compensate his weakness. His primary weapon was his Ace of Spades; it dealt a large amount of damage which could kill two Elites at the same time and could ricochet through corners allowing to kill an Elite taking cover, however, it had a powerful recoil and reloading was quite time consuming. His secondary weapon was his King of Hearts it had a long range and did splash damage which launched a volley of grenades, it's very effective against a group of Elites and also against the Heroes taking cover in vantage points or from long distance, but it did need reloading after per shooting.
Real Name: Unknown
Dr. Penelope YoungEdit
My most challenging patient at Arkham. The Joker's derangement defies easy class. His rapidly changing mood swings hint at borderline personality disorder, but he has no trace of associated identity problems. He also displays signs of deep narcissism, but nonetheless he has a well-developed sense of others, as his ability to manipulate everyone from orderlies to doctors in Arkham is extraordinarily well-developed; he also shows all the signs of a highly functioning sufferer of antisocial personality. At times I actually wonder if he is actually insane at all.
His criminal record makes clear that he is an unrepentant homicidal maniac.
He is extremely manipulative; the file detailing Harley Quinn's associations with him is fascinating reading. It's unfortunate I was not on staff at the time to witness his seduction of her firsthand.
His past is unknown, and his answers to me about it are wildly inconsistent and frequently fantastical.
Dr. Hugo StrangeEdit
Dr. Hugo Strange: Side Note This self-styled criminal Clown Prince of Crime remains as volatile and violent as ever. His showdown with Batman in Arkham Asylum has left him humiliated, angry and thirsty for revenge. Some form of disease is spreading over the Joker, ravaging his face and body. He has repeatedly refused to be treated by anyone except his special 'nurse' Harley Quinn.
The Joker came to Arkham City laughing himself silly -- what's so funny about this place?
~ Dr. Hugo Strange
- Unrepentant homicidal maniac, albeit without a precise psychological diagnosis
- Surprisingly strong hand-to-hand combatant
- His past is unknown; conflicting, unconfirmed reports state that he was a failed comedian, a petty thief, and a broken family man
- Employs various deadly weapons, often based on party-gag items
- Frequently uses a toxin that stretches victim's face into a Joker-like grin and causes death
- Unbelievable escapist and stronger endurance than a normal human being
- His sense of humor can be credited to what he perceives to be wrong with the world around him, as he is often seen laughing at the pointlessly terrible and truly wrong. This gives an indication as to his true feelings on the matter as his laughter is seen as hollow at times. For instance, Joker comments on finding Arkham City funny even though a normal human being would consider it an abomination. Joker only finds humor in what is wrong with humanity and points it out, highlighting it before attempting to either broaden the chaos around it or simply destroy it himself, often doing both in the process.
- Genius chemist and extremely skilled in strategy.
- Flawless actor/impersonator
- Takes absolutely no value for money, power, anyone besides Batman, and even his own life, making him impossible to intimidate, interrogate, bargain with, or persuade.
- Incredible tolerance for physical pain, making fights with him unusually long.
Batman's Profile of The JokerEdit
"I prepared for muggers, killers, thieves. Criminals, increasingly extreme in their methods and personality. But I never imagined someone like "The Joker". There is no information on him in any criminal database. As far as records go, it's as if he stepped out of thin air. He appears to be a highly resourceful psychopath with a sadistic intelligence, who delights in causing chaos, destruction and human suffering. Skilled with explosives and firearms. He displays personality traits consistent with criminal insanity, though his mental instability did not hinder his ability to infiltrate and take over Black Mask's criminal organization. His capacity for wanton destruction makes him a threat to the entire city. He must be stopped."
Batman: Arkham OriginsEdit
As Black MaskEdit
- "They say crime doesn't pay-but someone oughtta the check the good commissioner's pockets-'cause they're LINED with MY money."
- "And what have I got to show for it, huh? My own men in the slammer? Not no more. No. Tonight- we're making some changes. Some big changes."
- "Part of me just wants to flip that switch. But it is Christmas Eve...and he is the Calendar Man-... and that's just too perfect to ignore."
- "You're going to owe me for this, Julian. And that could be...useful." (Calendar Man)
- "Bring him in, Bring him in!"
- "You may have, Gillian. But, uh, things have-changed. We're starting with a clean slate-and you're not on it." (Gillian Loeb)
- "Show's over, boys. Let's go."
- "I told you to grab the memory card!" (Killer Croc)
- "It had better be or the next thing that gets smashed will be your face!" (Killer Croc)
- "You know I murdered your commissioner tonight, right? So what makes you think I give two farts what some dumbass dirty cop's gotta say?"
- "You know what I know? What I know is that I don't like balance. Balance is boring and boring is a four-letter word in my book."
- "No, Balance-balance is what's wrong with this city. We need to upset the balance, kick it over, light it on fire, and then see what comes scurrying out."
- "Never better. I've got a new lease on life! Granted, it came with some added mileage, but beggars can't be choosers!"
- "So it is! Good job! Observation and initiative are the keys to advancement. I have my eye on you!"
- "Think you can just waltz into my bank, huh?" (Batman)
- "The Joker? Never heard of him."
- "How 'bout you, doll? Know the Joker?" (Gotham Merchant's Bank Manager)
- "And you, sir? Name Joker ring a bell?" (Roman Sionis)
- "Friends, assassins. Welcome to our first quarterly performance review."
- "As you can see here: Batman deaths are coming in far below projections."
- "We are really going to have to turn this around."
- "Can't...you just...play along!?!"
- Well, technically, it's *my* operation now. Isn't that right boys?
- "Oh life would be so simple if you were all I wanted. No- you're just a teeny little distraction- compared to what I've got up my sleeve.
- "Here! Have a laugh on me."
- "Do you hear that? Sounds like eight tiny reindeer."
- "I'm sorry, I'm sorry. Must be a bad connection. I thought I heard you say that after I SHOT HIM, and BLEW UP a building on him, THE BAT- SOMEHOW SURVIVED?!!?"
- "Well, since I know that's IMPOSSIBLE, I'm going to let you reconcile my vision of reality, with your version of reality, and in case your pea-brain can't parse big words, I'll translate it into thug-speak for you: KILL THE BAT, OR I'LL KILL YOU!"
- "As your new commander in chief, I've got one simple order for you... no one gets out of that bank alive."
- "I hope you boys bought your shovels. You might have to dig the Bat out before ya put him down!"
- "This is it! An opportunity to make your new boss happy. Bring me the Bat!"
- "Alright, my living room needs a new rug... So bring me the body of the Bat!"
- "Question: how many dim wits does it take to find a Bat? Answer: just one. The dim wit opens his mouth and the Bat magically appears to shut him up for good."
- "It warms my heart knowing that you're still kicking, Batman! There's still plenty of fun to be had out there tonight and I'd hate to see it all go to waste."
- "Oh, I'm glad you're still fighting, Batman! I put a lot of work into this night and it would be a shame to see it end prematurely."
- "Bravo on the daring rescue of our giggling bank manager, Batman. I'm sure she enjoyed those extra three seconds of life."
- "I guess I wasn't clear when I said that I wanted the BAT DEAD!"
- "BATMAN! So glad to know you're still moving."
- "Hark now hear, the Batman sings! It's a song of broken bones, shattered limbs, and arms in a sling!"
- "For a bunch of tough-as-nails street thugs you sure go down easy. It's a wonder Black Mask stayed in business!"
- "Eh. So much for my crack team of vicious mobsters. The only things I hear cracking are tibias and fibulas."
- "Since you can't find Batman, maybe you could at least find the lucky fella he just introduced his fist to?"
- "If I'd known thugs would get this rough, I'd of dumped my fifty million into the full-body cast supplier market."
- "Hurry! Batman's just had his way with one of you!
- "Now that's a spicy meat-a-ball!"
- "Well, sounds like I can cross 'hear a grown man cry' off my Christmas list. Thanks, fellas!"
- "Well, that's three names I can cross off my Christmas list. If the rest of you want your presents I suggest you get naughty."
- "You numbskulls are messing up my plans!"
- "Must I do everything myself?!"
- "Ugh. That didn't take long. Maybe I should've left a few more of Black Mask's men goons alive, huh?"
- "I believe the begging is about to begin. Wait for it..."
- "It's mano-mano time! Or perhaps more like mano-a-bat-o."
- "And by we I mean YOU." (Electrocutioner)
- "Got that, Mr... Cutioner?" (Electrocutioner)
- "I'm the guy with the money-... And the gun!" (Electrocutioner)
- "So when I hire you to kill the Batman, you shut the hell up and kill the Batman!" (Electrocutioner)
- "So, do you have-anything-else to contribute?" (Electrocutioner)
- "I didn't think so." (Electrocutioner)
- "Mmmm! This fruitcake is fantastic!"
- "Anyone want a piece?"
- "Alright. Meeting's adjourned. Get out there and kill the Bat."
- "Move it along, big boy." (Bane)
- "Well, this should be interesting. Wee!"
- "Well, would you look what the Bat dragged in?! You know you are a little late for supper. Lucky for you, your dear friend Bane just REFUSED to start the meal without you. Apparently, he prefers his dishes served cold."
- "So, let's see! That's two hotel employees rescued for you, and...oh my, I'm still WAAAAY ahead in the employees killed column."
- "I know it's tempting with all these goodies lying around but don't go helping yourself to a gift. They're not for you!"
- "There, there...Don't feel left out! I've got a special gift just for you right up here-...and it's wrapped in about four hundred pounds of muscle."
- "Uh-oh, Batman. Hurry! Someone's about to get shot!"
- "Looks like the one getting shot is you! A sucker born every minute!" [after Batman gets shot with the gun turret]
- "Well this is unfortunate. For you, I mean. For me, it's-it's all entertainment!" [after Batman uses the Disruptor is disable the gun turret]
- "Where'd Sionis find these guys? Oh sure, they talk a big game, but put any of them in the old electric chair and they bawl like little girls. Trust me, I've done the research."
- "Incredible. They really outdid themselves with this penthouse suite. The bathroom has three kinds of soap! I mean, who has time for all that cleaning!? I usually just hop into a vat of acid and call it a day."
- "Like what I've done with the place? I know, I know, it's a bit much. What can I say? I can be a tad...compulsive...from time-to-time."
- "Where did I get all this you ask? Well-I got a great deal on an out-of-service amusement park. You should have seen the look on the real estate agent's face when we shook hands on the deal!"
- "Hmm...well technically that was cheating, but...ah, what can I say? I got a soft spot for cheaters! So bravo, Batman. Bra-vo."
- "HA HA HA! Nice try. No way out of there! Guess you'll just have to wait right where you are until I start sending the hotel guests through. That'll be a scream."
- "Aren't you resourceful? Now play fair. Don't make me take your little belt away." [after Batman solves the puzzle in the West Tower-Ballroom]
- "Woo, now this one's my personal favorite. Reminds me of my childhood-the taste of the kettle corn, the clickitty-clack of the rides, the stench of the dead vagrants they found under the boardwalk-Oh, the good old days."
- "When you were a kid did ever try burping the national anthem? I was never any good at it. But this gentleman claims he was. Just for fun let's see how well he does while we electrocute him!?"
- "I think the one little thing you need to work on is that sense of humor. You haven't smiled once tonight. And you know what they say: A smile a day keeps the reaper away."
- "Feels like you should be done, doesn't it? You run roughshod through my Christmas attraction, and now you can't even find the door? The sad part is, there is no door. That's right. NO ONE gets out. I'll admit, it kills to repeat business, but then...so do the rides."
- "You want to know the awful truth? I've only been in Gotham for a few days-and I've already accomplished so much more than you in the-what has it been- 2 years that you've been doing the whole costume thing. Roman Sionis? Gone. Loeb? Whoa. He was corrupt to the core. Got rid of him. That warden at Blackgate? Pretty sure he'll be facing charges after what I made him do tonight."
- "You know-it's amazing what you can get done when you don't concern yourself with right and wrong. When you just...do things for a laugh. That's your problem, Batman-and it's hurting your efficacy: You're far too serious."
- "So. You've made it to the end of my little carnival ride. Unfortunately, you're supposed to be dead by now. Will you excuse me while I just go shoot the architect. Come here...you little..."
- "Oh, no! You found my snowman bombs!"
- "You just couldn't wait till New Years, huh? Guess the fireworks are going off early!" [after Batman tries to disarm Joker's bombs with the Cryptographic Sequencer]
- "You know, Batman, I had the prefect little ambush set up for you and these idiots went ahead and ruined it! Ha! Oh well- time to improvise!"
- "Ooo. So greedy! You've didn't have to kill ALL my men, Bane-brains! There's plenty of Bat to go around."
- "You know, we've been up here waiting, and your boss Bane hasn't jumped into this huge pile of money once. Not once!"
- "So glad your boss and I could work things out. He gets the Bat, and I get to chat with you fine fellows!"
- "Okay, who feels like dishing? I mean, I heard rumors about what happened in that library in Pena Duro. Anyone care to elaborate?"
- "So tell me, which of you are looking forward to seeing the inside of a prison cell again? I understand that's what Batman has in store for you."
- "You are such a confident bunch. But we'll have to check your underpants when this is all over."
- "Batman! You've arrived just in time to not save any of my men from Bane's ruthless Pena Duro mercenaries."
- "Well look at that! Another one of Bane's boys bites the dust. I'm shocked. Oh. Wait. No I'm not."
- "You'll have to excuse me, I guess I wasn't explicitly told that if you happen to see the Bat you can FIGHT BACK!"
- "Attention shoppers! Batman's just taken out another member of your crew. Clean up in aisle three."
- "You boys got a problem standing upright? Cuz Batman just tipped over another one."
- "I don't think he's gonna be getting up after THAT."
- "On the off chance you make it out of here alive, Batman- I've got something really special planned for you!"
- "This is, without a doubt, the most pathetic display I've ever had the fortune of witnessing! HA! I love it!"
- "Gotta say, I am impressed with you fellas. I mean, you all scream like real men."
- "Don't wear yourself out on the appetizer, Batman. You've still got to handle the main course!"
- "Awwwww. Look at the little Bat fly! All right. Enough looking. Clip the bastard's wings!"
- "You're three steps closer to your death Batman. What's your hurry?"
- "I don't think Bane whips you fellas often enough."
- "Okay, this was kinda fun at first, but now it's just getting boring. Finish 'em off already!"
- "In a not-at-all shocking turn of events, Bane's boys prove to be as brain dead as their boss!"
- "Nice of you to drop in-and just in time."
- "Eh-eh. Remember, you gave your word."
- "Do they even have manners where he comes from?"
- "You see, it's a tradition in my house-to open one present each on Christmas Eve."
- "Hmm...How about...this one?"
- "And a partridge in a pear tree!"
- "None-I think. That was just a little stocking-stuffer-a construction site blocking my view."
- "But this one isn't."
- "And now, the moment you've all been waiting for... I present to you, the death of the Bat-Man!"
- "Uh guys-can we move this along? I've got buildings to explode." (Batman and Bane)
- "Yes. Now beat it out of him!" [to Bane about Batman]
- "Yours is not to reason why, just DO IT."
- "T'was the night before Christmas, and all through the house, not a creature was stirring, not even a...well, a bat was stirring, but a few more blows to the head and he won't be anymore."
- "Ooo! Hahahaha! He hit you so hard it hurt me!" [to Batman about Bane]
- "Not much hope for the Batman, folks. Only a Christmas miracle can save him now."
- "Oh, come on! At least make a fight out of it! I want my money's worth! Fifty million dollars worth!"
- "Looks like this is it. It was nice knowin' ya. Actually, no it wasn't."
- "I'm looking for a few good men. But I'll settle for you slug-monkeys."
- "Okay, I'm getting bored now, Let's put a bow on it and call the casket maker, shall we?" [Joker to Batman]
- "Now this is what I call a party!" [shooting at GCPD helicopters with an assault rifle]
- "Just where do you think you're going? Huh?" [Joker to Bane after Bane jumps into a helicopter piloted by his henchmen to escape the GCPD]
- "Oh! Back for more, eh?" [Joker to Batman]
- "Now...Why? Why? Why would you do that?" [after Batman rescues Joker from falling to his death]
- "Newsflash: I'm the one who's trying to kill you!"
- "Those were two VERY bad men. The things they've done...You really don't want to know. They deserved death-just like me."
- "I think he's talking to you." [to Batman about Officer Branden]
- "Who?" [to Harvey Bullock]
- "My partner!?" [to Harvey Bullock]
- "You know, officer......I was wondering the same thing myself." [to Harvey Bullock]
- "Tell me something dear-have "you" ever had a really bad day?" [to Dr. Harleen Quinzel]
- "You of all people should know - there's nothing so CRUEL as MEMORY. The pointy, bitey little THUNDERBOLTS. Unwanted party crashers, SCREAMERS through your synapses. Inescapable, unrelenting...not at all friendly. You can't even escape into MADNESS!"
- "And then you meet someone who changes your life-And you feel that you don't even know who you are anymore. Isn't it funny how one encounter can CLEAVE off little pieces of your past, DEFORM your memories and persona until you rethink your whole identity - and as you realize how foolish it all is - your LAUGHTER reverberates off the walls of your own emptiness."
- "That sounds...delightful."
- "Now that's a little trite, isn't it?"
- "My favorite stage." (Acceptance)
- "Oh, I know her better than most." (Kubler-Ross)
- "Scrambled eggs." (Family)
- "A door mat. A cat hat. A cellophane-bodysuit. And electrodes." (Humility)
- "Gunpowder. Lots of gunpowder." (Obsession)
- "Purple sequins." (Truth)
- "Bathroom stalls-by the seaside that smell vaguely of sea salt and artificial lemon scent of cleaning products." (Betrayal)
- "You want to know something funny? I used to think of Fate as EVIL-predetermined-not by some higher power, but by the rules of human NATURE. But tonight, that's all changed."
- "Have you ever had the feeling that your entire life has been building towards this one moment?"
- "Well now, yes. Now I realize that all the BATTLES, the BAD DAYS, the BRUTALITIES- it was all the hand of Fate at work."
- "Absolutely. Now I understand. There are no chance encounters. It was all meant to be. Everything leading up to who I've met tonight!"
- "Yes. And you might say it's changed EVERYTHING."
- "Absolutely. I mean, do you realize what a vile world we live in? How lonely it is to wade through all the wretch and filth on your own?"
- "Of course. Of course! You understand! Even in a crowd of other screwballs, you're so alone that you can kick, claw, yell, scream at the top of your lungs-and no one cares. It's like you don't even exist. I feel..."
- "Sometimes I feel like I'm trapped on a path leading nowhere-into just emptiness. But now..."
- "Yes, yes-and this person has shown me an exit ramp on this road to madness. A way to a far more interesting place."
- "I feel adrift- floating -like someone's pulled the stopper on my reality and I'm SUCKED down the drain into something new. It's all very exciting really. You wouldn't know what that feels like, I'm sure."
- "It's like meeting someone I can actually relate to-...which believe me, dear, I've NEVER felt before."
- "You understand. You're someone who's not afraid to let go-and fall."
- "Free falling. And I didn't pack a chute."
- 'Do you know what I mean?" [to Dr. Harleen Quinzel]
- "I figured you would." [to Dr. Harleen Quinzel]
- "Someone very, very special, but whose real name I don't even know yet!" [to Dr. Harleen Quinzel about Batman]
- "What a pretty name. Do your friends call you Harley?"
- "Well, Harley, you got one now."
- "Ho, Ho, Ho! Ha, ha, ha, ha! It's me again with a little Christmas reminder. If you all want to get out of here alive tonight, what are you going to do?"
- "Very good! And how do I want this stocking-stuffer delivered? Alive or-dead?"
- "That's right! What good little elves you all are. Santa's going to have a nice surprise for you when he gets what he wants!"
- "Now some of you might remember that three hours ago I was asking for the Bat's severed head in a dainty gift bag. Well, I don't want you thinking I'm capricious or anything- it's just a lot's changed in my life recently. I'd love to tell you all about it, but I don't quite understand it myself, so let's just chalk it up as a Christmas Miracle!"
- "Okay! Time for some introductions. Batman, meet the prisoners. Prisoners, meet the Batman. Now prisoners please kill the Batman."
- "Hmmm. Looks like the Bat's shown up early for our little rendezvous. Do me a favor and keep him busy while I finish up in here?"
- "This is a little game I like to call KILL OR BE KILLED. Here's how it works: You kill Batman or I kill you! Got it?"
- "I know everyone's anxious to open their presents, but there's just one more thing we have to do: KILL THE BAT!"
- "Okay everyone! Acting Warden Joker here. So happy you all chose to stick around for the final show."
- "Jingle bells, Batman smells, Gotham’s quite a mess! Blackgate’s mine and you’re out of time, which means you’ll soon be dead! Hahahaha!"
- "Where, oh where, has my little Bat gone? Where, oh where, can he be? His cowl, his scowl, his temper so foul, I hope that he's coming for me!"
- "Come on, Batman-just a few more steps until you witness what I have in store for you! Bet your spine is tingling with anticipation! I know mine is-like a young boy obsessing over that big, mysterious present under the tree. And what a mystery it is."
- "You may not realize this, but you-you really opened my eyes. Here I thought I was hitting level ten-the tippity top of the fun scale...slaughtering gangsters, killing cops, exploding buildings. But now I know that the scale goes beyond ten. WAY beyond! How much is anyone's guess, but together, you and me-we are going to push it as far as it will go."
- "So don't keep me waiting. If there's one thing, I hate, it's an unsolved mystery."
- "I. I understand you."
- "You had a chance to let me die and you didn't take it-I bet right now you're wishing you had. I've killed-a LOT of people, brought the city to it's knees, crippled the police force and it's not even time to unwrap our presents!"
- "Zip it!"
- "Ok. Ok. So. What our friend Bane holds in his hand is-a heart monitor. Once he clamps it on, every beat of his vacant little heart will charge the battery-...on this electric chair. And when it's fully charged-[mimicks being electrocuted]"
- "So either you kill Bane-"
- "Oh. And-just in case either of you were thinking of getting smart-try to remove the heart monitor-and...KABOOM! More minced meat on the walls than a house made of hamburger. How's that for a helpful hint, Bats?"
- "He is on a roll!"
- "Woo! Look at him go!"
- "Jim, Jim, Jim, Jim. Have a seat, Jimbo. We'll fry together - like two little potato latkes."
- "All aboard the Bane train!"
- "Better hurry, Bats! That heart ain't going to stop beating on it's own!"
- "Well, Jimbo, things ain't looking so good. Anyone you want to say good-bye to? Wife? Kids?
- "Buh-Bump! Buh-Bump! C'mon, Jim! Say it with me! Buh-Bump! Buh-Bump! Buh-Bump! Buh-Bump!"
- "Can we focus on the task in hand? He's the guy over there, in all-black!"
- "Uh oh, Bats. I think I feel a tingle!"
- "Toot! Toot! Watch out for the Bane train!"
- "He did it!" [assumes Batman killed Bane]
- "How 'bout I put you down?" [tries to shoot Warden Joseph with Gordon's gun]
- [sees that Gordon has taken the bullet for Warden Joseph] "Well that's the Christmas Spirit!"
- "Well, I'd love to stay and celebrate your victory, but I've got stockings to stuff, mistletoe to hang-and about fifteen skyscrapers to blow up before sunrise. Ciao."
- "Oh bats What a night!"
- "Fresh off a kill and back for more, eh?"
- "Now that's not FUNNY."
- "All this - all this rage. All directed at me, and for what? You know if you'd actually let me finish a sentence, You might learn something. You might learn that we're not so different. You might even learn something about yourself."
- "You know it's sad, really-makes me feel like you don't care to see the good side of me."
- "Well, I guess learning is a lot to ask from you, meat-for-brains." [cocks gun]
- "Is all this for you or for me? You must know that I'm a lost cause. But there's still hope for you. Yes. I've got great hopes for you. So c'mon. Don't stop now! What are you waiting for?"
- "You know you want it. You know I want it. So just do it already!"
- "It's better than any therapy session, Bats. So go on, do it!"
- "You're not playing along, Bat-Man!"
- "You just can't get it through your thick skull! We both exist because of them!!"
- "That's why you do it, isn't it? You like the way it feels. It's what you need."
- "Come on baby! Beat me 'til your knuckles bleed... And why quit there? You know there's only one way to stop me."
- "Stopped his heart. That is funny. Good one, Bats. Oh, this is going to be fun."
Batman: Arkham Origins MultiplayerEdit
Joker's Encrypted TransmissionEdit
- 1st transmission: "So glad you're of my little criminal créme de la créme. Love your work. My previous employees, dear boys, they try their best, but they're just thugs, street punks. Not the brightest or the best. But you, why you're a cut-above. You're my elite. With you. I can take down Bane and the BAT. Do what you do best, and you'll go far. I've arranged for you to receive a little something. On the house."
- 2nd transmission: "My, my...aren't we doing well? Keep this up, kid, and you'll be in line for...OK, mainly more killing. But isn't it fun! Hahahaha. But seriously. fine work, son. Greatness awaits! I'm sending you a mere token of my esteem."
- "Well, they've rumbled our little poison brew-ha-ha funfair. Let's take them for a ride. Defend it with your lives!" - Joker's Amusement Park
- "This overgrown chemistry-set is brewing venom, I say we seize it grown us a super-gang. Anyone spoils the fun, shoot them." - Wayne Chemical Plant
- "There's a laugh-riot going on at Blackgate Prison. Time to make it ours."-Blackgate
- "What kind of maniac wants to break into a prison, take control of the place don't let Bane or Heroes stop you." - Blackgate
- "This place holds an army of mechanical guardians, just make sure there're working for us hmm." - Wonder City Factory
- "Keep killing Bane's goons until there are none left. And watch out for those caped creeps."
- "Kill all of Bane's gang and capture the Control Points to stop them from reinforcing. Don't let Batman or Robin stop you, or I pull the plug on this mission."
- "We have majority control, keep it up boys."
- "We've got the advantage boys, now keep it!"
- "Haha, haha that's giving them one for keep it up."
- "Bane's gang have majority control, stop them!"
- "Bane's gang have the upper hand, do something or else."
- "Bane's Gang has the upper hand, get it back!"
- "Bane's gang got Robin! They have reinforcements!"
- "Bane's gang got the Bat! That's bad news for us, boys!"
- "The heroes are gaining, the advantage I hate that fight back!"
- "The heroes have you running scared, fight back or I'm scrubbing this mission!"
- "I promoted one of you to be captain no hard feelings the rest of you, if the heroes get him it will very bad for us."
- "Don't let the Heroes get your Captain. If they do, I might have to scrub this caper. Which won't be good news for YOU."
- "Protect the Captain. If the Heroes take him down, I might cancel the mission. Which would be BORING. And probably fatal for you. So you know..."
- "One of you is captain, not you... But protect the one who is! Or I might just cancel this party, oh aren't I a fickle."
- "I promoted you to be captain, don't let the heroes get you that'll be very bad for us."
- "Well now, you're making such an impression, the Bat himself is after you. Give him my regards! But kill him."
- "Your admiral bloodlust has drawn the attention of those cape buffons, careful now."
- "So the heroes got you that makes me sad, no wait the other one ANGRY!"
- "Well the heroes got you don't let it happen again, MHUHAHAHAHA!"
- "Heroes got your captain, that's not good."
- "You do know you could FIGHT BACK!" (Says when taken out for the first time)
- "This is our last chance boys, DON'T MESS IT UP!"
- "No more reinforcements."
- "Make me proud boys and/or stay alive."
- "It's getting sticky here, watch your backs boys."
- "Horray holiday! Reinforcements in your way!" (When an Elite kills a hero)
- "You killed Batman? Excellent news."
- "You killed Robin? Excellent news!"
- "We got Robin! Oh, GOODY!"
- "We got Batman, Take that good guys!"
- "We got Robin, Take that good guys!"
- "We got Batman, Splendid!"
- "We got Robin, Splendid!"
- "We got Batman, now everyone knows not to mess with us."
- "Entry Door marked."
- "Either me or Bane is behind that door. Better make sure it's me, eh?"
- "Perhaps I need to delicate myself, get to the marked door" (When losing)
- "Must I do everything myself?"
- "Did someone call for me? Well I'm here now, mhuhahaha!"
- "Too late, Bane's got the door first."
- "Here's one for the volt, haha!"
- "How shocking!"
- "Bane gang down one, thanks to me."
- "Electrifying haha!"
- "Got a Bane thug."
- "Bye, bye Robin." (After killing Robin)
- "Wohoo I've got Batman, now what I"m I suppose to do?" (After Killing Batman)
- "Is it a bird, a plane? Nope it's just Robin."
- "Ooh Bats I have something for you, I'm dying to show you! do come over."
- "Ooh Batman."
- "Bye, bye Bane thug."
- "Beaten by the Bat and the Bird, this will not look good in your resume."
- "Beaten by Batman!? What good are you!?"
- "So Batman spoiled our little Funfair, no fair, NO FAIR!" - Joker's Amusement Park
- "Batman beaten you!? I'm starting to think that letting you live is such a bad idea."
- "Batman beat you!? And you didn't bring me any new toys you were terrible, awful." - Wonder City Factory
- "Beaten by Bane!? You all have some explaining to do!"
- "Beaten by that over sized luchidor!? Boys you really have to do better." - Wayne Chemical Plant
- "Bane's running my Amusement Park? He has no sense of humour he'll ruin it for everyone, and he has my toxin, that's your fault." - Joker's Amusement Park
- "You hit the jackpot boys, it's raining murderous men! This is going to be fun." - Blackgate
- "You did it! You fought them of and save my toxin, well I'm having a rollercoaster of emotions." - Joker's Amusement Park."
- "Well done boys I'm quite pleased, now let's throw us a venom party that Gotham will never forget! Haha." - Wayne Chemical Plant
- "You did it boys the venom is ours! Muhahahaha!" - Wayne Chemical Plant
- "Thanks to you we have the mechanical guardians, now I don't have to do my own clinking and clanking." - Wonder City Factory
Batman: Arkham Origins BlackgateEdit
- "Hello, valued guest!" [to Batman]
- "Do you like what I've done to the place? I haven't quite finished."
- "I'm sure you'll see more of my...improvements as you go along."
- "Mm, no, I don't think so." [refuses to give Batman codes for the Crypto Sequencer]
- "I'm going to the warden's office to finish my alterations, while you go find the warden."
- "I won't even make you search, that's how gracious a host I am. The warden's in the conference room."
- "He's... tied up in a meeting, and tempers are running high. Getting explosive, you might say! HAHA!"
- "Bad timing! You just happened to show up on the day the prison decided to spray for bats!" [unleashes Joker Gas on Batman through vents]
- "You'll never foil my master plan, NEVER! Did that sound all right? I've been working on that."
- "Librarians in danger, Batman, check it out! Get it? Librarian? Check it out?"
- "Rude, Batman, very rude! Wish I could say it's been a gas, but it hasn't...THIS is a gas!" [unleashes more Joker Gas on Batman in the library after Batman rescues the hostages]
- "Has anyone ever told you that with that cape, you look just like an idiot?"
- "Do you know what it takes to be the Joker? A brilliant sense of comedy, a cunning mind, and three years of dental work!"
- "Really, Batman, there are guys who've been in the infirmary here for forty years who move faster than you do." [after Batman crosses the broken floor area flooded with Joker Gas with the Line Launcher]
- "When you scowl and hunch over and try to look all creepy like that, do anyone actually take you seriously?"
- "Is this nice? Do I come into your guano-filled wherever-you-live and pick a fight with you?"
- "Hello, Comedy Weekly Magazine? I'll have to call you back, Batman's trying to beat me up. Yes, I suppose that IS pretty funny!"
- "Live, from Blackgate, it's everyone's favorite new game show, Match or DIE! Brought to by Shermie's Squirting Flowers and Larry's Poisoned Licorice, now in new trout flavor."
- "Help me welcome our first contestant, a housewife from Pasadena who loves blue underwear and blingy belts...say hello to Batman!"
- "Here's how we play our game-solve the puzzle, and I'll give you what you need to rescue the warden!"
- "If you DON'T solve it, well, you'll leave with a lovely parting gift-a lifetime supply of dead prison officials! Ready to play? Let's match...or die!"
- "Impressive start! But you've got a long way to go!" [1st correct symbols]
- "Ooh, epic fail!" [1st incorrect symbols]
- "Luh-HOOOSER!" [ 2nd incorrect symbols]
- "Score one for our contestant!" [2nd correct symbols]
- "Hey, have you played this game before?" [3rd correct symbols]
- "We have GOT to start screening our contestants better." [after Batman matches the 4th symbols and wins the game]
- "Ah, Batman! Now I can officially welcome you to my new winter, summer, spring and fall home!"
- "Clearly, you saw some of my new decorations along your way here."
- "So, tell me, what do you think of the place?"
- "These are my favorite decorations. I've attached these little gas canisters on a time release to all the prison's major air conduits. It started out as riot-control gas, but I adjusted the recipe."
- "Now a small dose can give me control of the brains of the inmates and hostages."
- "A large dose will turn those brains to succotash."
- "No can do, Bats. Only the computer here can turn off the gas-a-go-go...and it can only do that with the Sequencer Codes!"
- "And I just don't know where those are. Probably packed with the pots and pans."
- "So much for a new homeowner to do!"
- "And speaking as a homeowner, I believe you qualify as a prowler on private property. And I'm within my rights to defend my property AT ALL COSTS!"
- "Okay Bats, let's get ready to RRRRRRUMBA!!!" [puts on gas mask, turns on gas canisters]
- "Ptoo! [kills both guards with 2 needles shot from his mouth into each of their necks]
- "Such a generous guard, giving me the shirt off his back." [steals dead guard's uniform]
- "All clear back there!"
Batman: Assault on ArkhamEdit
- "Harley? Is it really you?"
- "Aren't you even going to say hello?"
- "Aw, I can tell you're still sore. At least the bruises cleared up nicely."
- "What's your hurry, Harl?"
- "Women. Am I right, Officer? Can't live with them. Can't even kick them out of a moving car."
- "Sorry, hon. Bulletproof." [taps glass]
- "Why, Harley. If I didn't know any better I'd say you're trying to kill me.."
- "New guy?"
- "I know you. We worked together once. No, don't tell me. Umm...Deadhead? Buckshot?" *"You can have her! Bet you bought your shirt secondhand too. Ha!"
- "Is that room service? Tell them I never got my calzone."
- "So, she's got herself a new guy... After everything I've done for her! Oh, we'll see about that. I'll make 5 more just like her! I'll take her skin and put someone else in it! Oh, that perfect creamy skin... Pull yourself together, man! She mocked you right to your face! Even dared to call you.. Puddin'!"
- "Oh that darling girl! She might even deserve me." [Harley Quinn]
- "Okay babies! Let's cook!"
- "Winner, winner! Chicken dinner!"
- "Oh, Harley! I take back half of the horrible things I've done to you."
- "And boom!"
- "I'm just going to slip into something more comfortable. So no peeking!" [shoots guard]
- "Best gun ever."
- "Denzel! What have they done to you?"
- "I know that sound. Someone's flossing their brain!"
- "I'm here, Bitches! And I've brought favors for everybody!"
- "I think this was yours, Deadhead. Finders keepers!"
- "Don't you "puddin'" me. I go away and suddenly you've got new friends! Even picked a new guy!"
- "You! New guy! I don't like people touching my stuff!"
- "I am not!"
- "Hold on! Stop counting for a second! I know there are bullets. See?"
- "Mallet!" [holds gun to Harley's head]
- "It's time for a very big bang!"
- "Silence! Testing! Silence!"
- "I know you can see me, Bats. Hope you brought protection, cuz I'm about to give Gotham a terminal case of tainted love that's REALLY gonna blow."
- "And just in case you were thinking of stopping me, I figured I'd invite some friends to my big blowout."
- "Going my way, handsome?"
- "Cute kid. Hope she doesn't take being an orphan too hard."
- "You know she's gonna kill us, right?"
- "Uh oh!"
- "Stop me if you heard this one."
- "For someone who's not Batman, you've been a real pain in my ass!"
- "Deuces, new guy!"
Batman: Arkham AsylumEdit
- "Stand back, fool! I've got a bomb...Oh, right. Heh, heh, heh..." (Remembered why Batman captured him)
- "Hey, Sharpie! Love what you've done with the place!" (Warden Quincy Sharp)
- "Yo, Frank-ay. How's the wife and kids. Ya miss me?" (Frank Boles)
- "Really, I don't mind walking!" (Taken by Arkham Guards)
- "Not so tight, boys. You'll crease the suit." (Strapped to a gurney)
- "Sharpie loves his cameras. Hey, Sharpie! You getting my good side? But heck, they're all good, aren't they?"
- "Look at all this new security. How's a guy supposed to break out of here?"
- "Oh, it's always nice to return to my sweet little hausenda!"
- "Y'know what? I preferred the good ol' cavity search. Much more personal."
- "Ooo, whatcha sneak in with you, Bats? C'mon. Tell me, tell me! Batarangs? Batclaws? Ooo, Bat snacks?"
- "There'll be time enough for you later, Cash. Speaking of time, tick, tock, tick, tock. Is that a crocodile I hear?" (Aaron Cash)
- 'What's up, doc? Pencil me in for tomorrow at four. We've got a lot of catching up to do." (Dr. Penelope Young)
- "Oh, it's my favorite show. "I'm Warden Idiot." "You'll never escape." "(Pulls funny face while speaking and laughs.)
- "I'm telling you, the state of the wiring in these federal facilities is shocking. My boys over there could have been hurt in that unfortunate fire." (Blackgate Prison)
- "Boo!" (laughs)
- "Need to take my temperature? I'd be happy to drop my pants."
- "Can you smell the excitement in the air? No? Huh. Must have been one of the guards then. Croc old boy, is that you?" (Killer Croc)
- "That reminds me. I really need to get me some new shoes." (After encountering Killer Croc)
- "Whee! Great night for a party!"
- " Ha ha! The night is young, Bats. I still have a trick or two up my sleeve. I mean, dont you think it's a little bit funny how a fire at Blackgate caused hundreds of my crew to be moved here?"
- "Oh, Frankie! You really should learn to keep that fat mouth of yours shut. It'll get you into trouble!"
- "Oh, nothing much. Hundreds dying in pain and fear. All their meaningless lives brought to a horrifying conclusion. All thanks to you and a book of matches. Was that the answer you wanted?"
- "What? Don't you trust me?"
- "Only three? I'll be sure you try harder next time. What say we aim for a hundred?"
- "I think he's talking about you, Bats."
- "Don't be stranger. You're always welcome here."
- "Gotta say it's good to be back."
- "Hurry, We're losing him, Doc!"
- "The choke's on you."
- "Honey, I'm home." (Harley Quinn)
- "Welcome to the madhouse, Batman! I set a trap, and you sprang it gloriously!"
- "Now let's get this party started!"
- "Ladies and maniacs. I apologize for this interruption to your regular entertainment."
- "Up until a few seconds ago, I was going to kill everyone in the room and then watch cartoons, but then...well...you know how I do love a captive audience."
- "I'm just warming you up, Bats. Fresh from Blackgate Correctional Facility, with a combined sentence of 752 years. Ding, ding, ding ding ding! It's round 2!"
- "Sorry, Bats, gotta run. I've got places to go, people to slay."
- "Don't make promises you can't keep, Bats."
- "I'm in control of the Asylum. You're not going anywhere I don't want you to. Understand?"
- "Blah, blah, blah. Always with the hero speak. Ooh, I'm getting bored of watching you. Why don't you just come find me..."
- "What are waiting for? I'm so close you can almost taste me."
- "What took you so long?"
- "Oh!" (Dodges Batman's Batarang and laughs)
- "I'm counting on it. Just not yet!"
- "Oooh. He's a big one." (Incomplete Titan Henchman)
- "Well, that was unexpected, wasn't it? Oh well, note to self, need stronger test subjects."
- "Seeing as how I'm feeling generous, I'll give you this one for free."
- "Knock me off, I dare you! End this, pull the plug, stop me once and for all."
- "You're getting too predictable, Bats! Well, I'd love to stay and chat, but I've got a party to organize. I've got guests flying in from all over Arkham. You'll see."
- "Having a little trouble up there?"
- "You were expecting maybe Two-Face?"
- "Silly Bat! I don't want to escape. I'm having way too much fun. I even have you here to keep a smile on my face."
- "Really? We'll see. Ta-ta."
- "Oh, I forgot to say. Just in case you were planning on following me, I've arranged a little insurance. Gordon is on his way to Harley as we speak."
- "If I see you trying to follow me, he dies. Harley's looking forward to it. Maybe I'll film it and post it on the internet."
- "I bet you're wondering how I did it. Was it a clue the great detective missed?"
- "Oh, me and Frankie go way back. I got him out of a spot of...bother a few years ago."
- "So, when I need security codes, or an old man to be clubbed to the ground, I know just the man to ask."
- "Hold one second, I'll see if I can find him."
- "I'm sorry. I've looked everywhere, but I can only find his head! I'll get back to you when I find the rest of him."
- "Hey, Bats. I know you can hear me. I've got a little something for you to listen to. Harley and Frank are nearly out of the building with the old man. How are they going to get past all those guards? Let's have a listen, shall we?"
- "Stop flirting with the hired help, Harley."
- "Did you hear that, Bats? Sounds like Frankie is working out just fine! Another valuable employee for the organization."
- "Good. Our friendly neighborhood rodent is on his way. You need to set a trap. He must not leave this building. Do you understand me?"
- "I hope you keep your promises, boy. I'd hate to go and punish your family just to teach you a lesson. I can promise you they won't be laughing."
- "Just do it! And have fun, I know I will."
- "Oh, look who it is! Are your pointy ears burning?"
- "I suppose I'd better tell my boys you're on the way. Hey, maybe I won't...It'll be a nice surprise!"
- "Joker here with a quick update on what's new in the asylum."
- "Some idiot is running around the asylum dressed like a bat. I know. Crazy! Stop him before he gets someone hurt. Really. It's for his own good."
- "Do you really think it was going to be that easy, Bats? I've sent a few more of my boys your way. Let's see how you deal with these odds!"
- "I like you boys. What you lack in brains, you make up in heart. Oh, and speaking of heart… bring me Batman's."
- "Oh, boo! You win again, Bats. Well, savor it. I'll get you next time."
- "Greetings, Gotham. This is the voice of your new master. Oh, hang on...I've skipped a bit!"
- "Joker here! I'm in control of Arkham Island and you can all consider it out of bounds. If I see any lawmen, vigilantes or do-gooders in tights coming this way, I'll start detonating random bombs around the city."
- "What'll it be? A kindergarten? A hospital? A billionaire's mansion? Oooh, choices, choices, choices."
- "Hmm. Harley tells me that the Batman's car is still parked just outside of the Intensive Treatment building. Now, we can't just have him up and leave us, can we?"
- "Every thug, villain, murderer, and kindergarten teacher that isn't carrying out party orders should head there now and smash it to pieces."
- "The entire island will soon be under my control. That's right, boys and girls. Mine. Mine, mine, mine, mine, mine. Just wait till you see my plans for this place. It's going to be glorious."
- "I just want everyone to know that I really appreciate all the hard work. You know, watching you guys is like a night in, watching my favorite movie. What was the name of that movie again? Oh, yes. Attack of the stupid bumbling idiots who can't find an even bigger idiot running around dressed like a bat. Now get to it. I'm getting bored."
- "Joker here! Let me remind all new residents of Joker Asylum that they are expected to follow 1 simple rule. Punishment for not following this rule is death. No ifs, ands or buts. You know what the best thing is about the rule? It's a secret."
- "Good evening, ladies and gentlemen. I'm getting troubling reports of a bat infestation in Joker Asylum. Let me remind everyone that it is their civic duty to exterminate this vermin. We can't have it making its way back to the mainland."
- "I'm just sitting here watching cartoons. If any of you Blackgate rejects is bored, come over and see me. Don't look up when you open the door. It'll spoil the surprise and my experiment."
- "I'm having a great time. You guys just make it look too easy, like you're not even trying. Which is not what I pay you to do. Find everyone. Now."
- "Anyone seen the big bad Bat? I warn you. He may look like an idiot and talk like an idiot, but don't let that fool you. He really is an idiot."
- "Hello, I'm Warden Idiot. Here at Idiot Asylum, there's only rule. You'll never leave us!"
- "Joker here. Remember. I'm watching all of you. Wherever you are. Even you. Yes, you!"
- "Paging Dr. Howard. Dr. Fine. Dr. Howard."
- "What's he doing here? It's too early!"
- "Oh, you little minx, I could never stay mad at you."
- "Five... Four... Three... Two... One... BOOM! Just kidding!" (Laughs hysterically)
- "Tell me, Bats. What are you really scared of? Failing to save this cesspool of a city? Not finding the Commissioner in time? Me, in a thong?"
- "Oh, there you are!" (Batman)
- "I've been waiting for you, listening to Zsasz make the good doctor scream while you played around in Scarecrow's world."
- "How was it this time? Learn anything about yourself? Oh, tell me. Pull up a seat! Talk to me! I'm all ears."
- "Actually, that reminds me. I could've sworn I heard Zsasz cutting her ears off. Certainly sounded like it." (Dr. Young)
- "Zsasz.... What are you talking about? Just kill her. She's useless to me now." (Dr. Young)
- "Oh, you're not scared of a little bat, are you, Slicey?" (Victor Zsasz)
- "Yeah, stay back, Batman! You don't want more blood on your hands, do you?" (Dr. Young)
- "That's the spirit! Now stick it to her!" (Dr. Young)
- "I've waited a long time for this, Bats. Let's start the party. With a bang!" (Shoots Batman in the face with his gun)
- "Women! You give 'em presents, experimental chemicals, and nice costumes and they still turn on you."
- (Talking to Scarface)"Why didn't you stop Batman?" (switches to Scarface) "Me?! It was your plan, you goofy clown!" (switches back to himself) "I'm sending you back to the Ventriloquist where you belong!" (Throws Scarface on the ground in front of Batman)
- "You had to spoil everything, didn't you? Beating up Bane, feeding Scarecrow to Croc, slapping around my Harley, MY hobby by the way, and ruining all my lovely Venom plants!"
- "Over? Why, my dear delusional Dark Knight, it hasn't even begun!"
- "Oh! You're ruining my big night! All those months of planning down the crapper! I just wanted to bring down your grim facade, and for once let you see the world as I see it, giggling in a corner and bleeding! But you've denied me even that! I have nothing left to live for." (injects himself with Titan)
- "Show time, Batman!"
- "I can take it. I can take anything you throw at me Bats! You can't beat me I'm actually going to win. Ready for the next round?"
Visitor Center MessagesEdit
- "Come in, sit down, take off your mask."
- "So Bats, I was thinking. You really could use a friend in here. Someone to talk to, share secrets with. Shall we start with the big one? Who is that behind the mask? Why do you feel the need to go out into the world and fight people like me? Do you really think you can win? We'll see." [Laughs]
- "There were these two guys in a lunatic asylum...Oh hell, you've heard that before, haven't you?"
- "Let's just get down to business. You're probably wondering how this is all going to turn out, aren't you? Is it driving you bats, Bats? (laughs) You probably thought you could follow that idiot guard to the old man, didn't you? Sorry about that. Hang on a second. If I outsmarted you, and I am...well, quite clearly insane...what does that make you?" (laughs)
- "You're late for your appointment. Very rude. Well, seeing as you're here now, we might as well get started."
- "Tell me about your childhood. Anything stand out? Is that fear I see? Too painful? We'll come back to it later, then. So, how about Baney Boy, then? Bet you were shocked to see him, weren't you? Personally I was hoping he'd fold you up like a piece of paper and let me stamp you crazy, but even I don't get everything I want. So what was he doing here? Oh, questions, questions, questions."
- "You again? You're early!"
- "Sit down. I suppose I can squeeze you in."
- "I've been comparing notes with Doctor Crane. He seems a little worried about your progress. According to his notes, you should have come over to our side by now. What is it that keeps you going? Doesn't it ever get boring?"
- "I am afraid that I cannot attend your appointment today. Doctor Quinzel has kindly offered to sit in."
- "Let's talk about your employee relations, Bats. Harley disappointed me and now she's out of the picture. Gone. Forgotten. Dead to me. You get the idea. What's it like in your organization? Do you punish your hired help when they fail you? Or is that saucy outfit you make him wear punishment enough?"
- "Patient continues to show bizarre and irrational tendencies. On continued observation, it is clear that he believes he can in some way influence the inevitable destruction of this city. Tests prove what can only be described as a buried messiah complex. I fear he is untreatable."
- "So what will it be, Bats? You and me caught in this eternal struggle? One destined to kill the other? What will we do when one of us wins? Have you even considered it? Terrifying, isn't it?"
- "Hey, Breaking news. There's been a multiple car pileup on the Gotham freeway. Some guy is being cut out of the wreckage. Looks painful. The reporter's tell us that he's been paralyzed on one side of his body. His wife's in tears. What's she worried about? I'm sure he's going to be all right. You get it? All right!" (laughs)
- "I once went to a psychiatrist. 'Doc', I said, 'Every time I get into bed, I think there's someone under it. I get under the bed, I think there's somebody on top of it.' I was going crazy. So I cured myself. I cut the legs off my bed. And then the doctor. [laughs] Slept fine ever since."
- "A patient goes to see his doctor. 'Doc' he says, 'you've got to help me. My wife thinks she's a chicken.' The doctor asks 'How long has she had this condition?' 'Two years,' says the man. 'Then why did it take you so long to come and see me?' asked the shrink. The man shrugs his shoulders and replies, 'I needed the eggs.'"
- "You may want to do a quick head count."
- "Hide in the shadows, Bats. We're coming for you!"
- "Let's see if you've still got the moves, Bats!"
- "We'll hunt you down, Bats."
- "My crew is searching Arkham Asylum for you, Batman. I won't stop till you're dead! Or they are."
- "If you weren't hiding in the shadows like a little girl, this would be over so much faster."
- "Good evening, Gotham! And welcome to the main event."
- "I, Joker, am now in control of Arkham Island. Medical is just one part of my new empire. Anyone who disagrees with this should speak to one of my many representatives guarding you from the evil Batman."
- "If any member of Old Arkham wants to take up our special introductory offer of free cosmetic surgery, raise your hand now. One of my representatives will move you to the front of the line."
- "Don't worry, boys. If Batman actually makes it as far as Medical, you won't be hurt. Well, you may, but smile, you're just seconds away from medical care."
- "That's what I like to see, boys. Not so scared of the big bad Bat."
- "I want the entire Medical building secure. No one in or out. Do you understand?"
- "Batman's been busy. Haven't you noticed that someone's missing down there?"
- "He's taken one of you out. And not in a nice first date kind of way."
- "He's taken out two of you. Find him."
- "Have you checked the time sheets? I'm sure there were more of you at the beginning of the day."
- "Oh dear! Is someone missing? I keep losing count."
- "You guys may want to have a look on the walkways. I think someone's left you a gift!"
- "You can do it, buddy! Let me put it this way, you'd better do it!"
- "Hey. Don't be scared. He's just a little Bat. You can take him. Probably. Well, between you and me, it's statistically unlikely, but you never know."
- [Nervous henchmen] "Is anyone feeling a little stressed down there? Your heart racing? Well, get a grip and stop the Bat or I'll fix your blood pressure. Permanently."
- "Hey, Bats. Go easy on him! Oh hell, what do I care? Do your worst."
- "Note to self. Need to order more henchmen. Good ones this time!"
- "Come on, boys. He's just one man. One man dressed like a lunatic and armed to the teeth. Go get him!"
- "What? You... oh, Bats.. I really am going to have to hunt you down and kill you one of these days!"
- "So you won, big deal. I've got much bigger plans for you."
- "Yawn-a-roony. We both know you eat punks for breakfast. I've got some real surprises waiting for you."
- "Nice moves, Bats. Thanks for showing me them."
- "So, you win again. It's a shame that while you've been fighting, I've had everyone you love brutally murdered. Only joking!"
- "Don't get too cocky, Batman. I'll get you next time."
Batman: Arkham CityEdit
- "Twinkle, twinkle, little bat. Watch me kill your favorite cat!"
- "Well, look who it is. I haven't seen you for... how long as it been? Let's see, there was an asylum, some monsters, and oh, that's right! You left me to die. Now you probably don't remember it that way, but who cares? You just need to worry about the bombs. Hurry up, now. Clock's ticking. 5! ... 4! ... 3! ... 2! ... 1! See you soon, Bats. ... What are you waiting for? We both know how this is going to turn out: you're going to come and find me. You can't stop yourself, can you? Sometimes I wonder if all this would just end with one of us looking down at the other's corpse, trying to work out what to do next? The only question is, whose body will it be? I know who I'm rooting for! [giggles] What about you? [laughs madly] Now, get out of there now, or you'll ruin everything!!!"
- "Surprise! You fell for the ol' fake Joker gag, Batman."
- "Get back here, Harley."
- "No one's who you think they are my dear. Why spoil the fun?"
- "Nice of you to say, but you of all people should know there's plenty wrong with me."
- "Is someone feeling a little down? Well, cheer up, Bats; it won't kill ya....Oops!
- "Let's make this quick, boys. I've got an important operation that I'm just dying to have done."
- "You guys are like family to me. And you know how much pain I went through killing my family."
- "Are you guys OK? It's just Batman. He's probably not ever really killed anyone. Still, you know when he plans on starting, do you?"
- "Do you really think you can just sneak through here with my delicious cure, Bats? I mean, I'm sure you can, but I know you too well, now don't I? After all, we both know you won't be able to resist crackin' a few skulls on the way through."
- "Did I ever tell you about the day I found out I was sick? No? I remember it clearly. It was that night when I first met Harley."
- "Hello? Henchmen? Can you hear me? Where are my guns? They are very important if my plan is to... Oh, are you still down there, Bats? Pity."
- "I can't believe you let him stop you! What is it? Not enough secret weapons from old Hugo?"
- "Well, that's just great. Here I am on my deathbed and you miserable fools can't even stop some idiot dressed up like a bat. I needed those guns. Now how am I going to...oops. Sorry, Bats, I nearly gave it away there, didn't I?"
- "Why do you keep doing this to me? It's like you idiots spend every single day day thinking up ways to leave me bitterly disappointed. Harley, when you get to the GCPD, kill a couple of 'em for me, will you, dear."
- "If any of you are still conscious, get back to base now."
- "Do I have to do everything myself around here? All I asked was that you stopped the stupid Batman. I managed to get a syringe of my blood in his neck for God's sake, and I'm half-dead. What's your excuse?" (coughs)
- "Well, what do you know? You did it. You took 'em all out. I should be sad, I suppose, but the truth is, I'm happy. Happier than I've been in years. How about you?"
- "Oh, come on! There's always something to learn. Let's start with 'Getting Your Ass Kicked 101'."
- "This is your big opening night, Batman. What's keeping you? Get your cute little ass to the movie theatre. NOW!"
- "Helloooo! Batman! You can hear me, right? It's just, you don't seem to be coming to the movie theatre and I'd hate for you to read the spoilers on the internet again."
- "Where are you, Batman?"
- "Well, this is just rude, Batman! I've laid on all this entertainment at the movie theatre and you can even be bothered turning up."
- "Where are you, Batman? I've got your premiere ticket right here in my pocket. It's right here, next to the gaffer tape and the pliers."
- "Why are you taking so long, Batman? Oh, hold on, I get it. You want me to off this annoying woman, right? I mean, she does go on a bit with all that I am the great blah, blah, mystical mumbo jumbo. I tell you what. I'll do it. But you owe me, OK?"
- "I'll see you soon! BYEEEE!"
- "Confusing, isn't it? I know I'd want to know just what the hell is going on if I were you. Let's just say in times like these, it's important to keep up [coughs] appearances. But first, if you would be so kind... Hand. Over. My. Cure.""
- (Spoilers)"Ladies and Gentlemen, for one night only, standing in for yours truly, ha, and doing a damn fine job of it, I bring you... CLAYFACE!"
- "Think of it as a running gag."
- "Are you happy now?"
- "That actually is...pretty funny." - Joker's final words.
Challenge Maps Edit
- "Welcome to Joker's House of Fun!"
- "Let's see what's happening tonight in Joker's Fun House!"
- "Now, who's in the soon-to-be-dead corner tonight?"
- "Who's brave enough to come here and pick a fight?"
- "Shall we see who's come here to fight tonight?"
- "It's the Bat himself! Give him a big hand!"
- "Well, what do you know? It's the caped crusader himself!"
- "It's the dark knight defective himself! Batman!"
- "It's Batman!"
- "As I live and breathe, it's Catwoman!"
- "It looks like the kitty cat has come to see just how many lives she has left!"
- "It's Catwoman!"
- "Didn't I kill you already? No? Well there's always time, right? Ladies and gentlemen, put your hands together for... Robin!"
- "It's the boy wonder! Robin!"
- "It's Nightwing!"
- "Nightwing? I was hoping for the big guy, but, I guess you'll do."
- "Who the hell are you? Just kidding! It's Nightwing!"
- "What are you trying to do down there? Put them in hospital?"
- "Someone call the hospital."
- "Does someone need a doctor down there?"
- "Keep away from the fists, boys!"
- "Try and keep away from the fists!"
- "Big deal! Anyone could do that!"
- "Now that one had to hurt!"
- "Ooh, that looked like it hurt!"
- "Can you feel that?"
- "There's more where that came from!"
- "Just give up!"
- "Someone's on a roll here!"
- "Now who's left all those dangerous-looking weapons there!"
- "Are you getting too much blood in your eyes?"
- "This will go so much quicker if you just stop fighting!"
- "Go easy on them!"
- You're supposed to be the ones hitting!"
- "This is not going my way!"
- "Hey! Take it easy on 'em!"
- [Ninja Assassins' entry] "But can you deal with Ninjas?"
- "You know what this fight needs is more ninjas!"
- "It's slice and dice time."
- "Did I hear someone ask for mystical ninja assassins?"
- [Sickle's entry]"Get ready for the heavy weight champions!"
- "Look at the size of that guy! You don't stand a chance!"
- "It's time for... me!" [Joker's entry after you get 100x combo]
- "Do you want me to come in there? Well OK then."
- "Oh, you ask for this! Just remember that, when I kick your do-gooder behind."
- "He won!? Him!? I am very disappointed, boys."
- "Not happy, boys! It's like you didn't even try to hurt him!"
- "How did he win? Did you idiots not even try to beat him!?"
- "And the winner is Catwoman. Oh, someone pass me a gun!"
- "She won? Her! How did she beat all you ugly idiots!?"
- "You let her win!? Booo!"
- "Boom! One man down. It's looking like a re-run of last time."
- "Oooh. I think I just heard someone's skull cracking against that nice hard floor. Mind the bloody puddle."
- "Is that the sound of one of your faces hitting something hard? I hope so."
- "Someone's missing in there. Is it you?"
- "Boom. And the quarterback is toast. Oh, sorry, I wasn't paying attention. Did someone just get taken out down there?"
- "I'm just dying to see which one of you losers Batman takes out first. Let me see, eenie, meenie, miney, mo."
- "That's two down. Do you realize how much it costs training you guys? It really isn't that much."
- "Three down! Not happy, boys."
- "Two? Two? You'd fit right into old melty face's gang."
- "Only one of you left. What a shame."
- "Don't let me down, boys. If you do, I may have to drop you, too."
- "I really hope you won't let me down here, boys. But if you do, I won't be cross. I'll be dead and Harley will be really upset. And seriously, you don't want to see that."
- "He's making you idiots look like fools. That's my job!"
- "At this rate, I'll be out of idiot henchmen before the end of the night."
- "You boys have got the same helpless terrified look in your eyes as my doctor did when he told me I was sick. I said, you think that's sick? Take a look at this!"
- "Do you want me to get Abramovici down there for a motivational speech? I hear that he's got a way of hammering the point there."
- "I am very disappointed in you boys. Really, you're all dead to me now."
- "Do you need a motivational speech about now? OK. I think you are all going to die down there. And this will be the last voice you hear before you cross over to the other side. And I am very, very, very disappointed in you."
Game Over LinesEdit
- "Awww. Too bad. So sad!" (to Batman)
- "Oh I'm sorry! Did I kill your friend? Oops! My bad! Haha!"' (to Batman)
- "Looks like I'm gonna need to find a new playmate. Oh and we were having so much fun, too! Hahahaha!" (to Batman)
- "Ding dong! The bat is dead! Which old bat? The dumb old bat! Ding dong, the dumb old bat is dead! Hahahahaha!"'' (to Batman)
- "Aw, I gotta say. I thought you'd have more fight in you. A LOT more fight!" (to Batman)
- "Deathstroke? Hehehe...More like Death...Joke Hahahahah!" (to Deathstroke)
- "You may be the world's greatest assassin kiddo, but Joker always gets the last laugh... HAHAHAHA!" (to Deathstroke)
- "Hey! Someone help Bat-baby up off the floor!"
- "Oh, I'd like to thank my fans for their undying support, and the people of Gotham, who I will be seeing very, very soon."
- "Gotta say, I thought you'd last longer."
- "Too easy! Played you like a violin, then cut your strings. Nighty night, Bats."
- "I salute my fallen enemy!" (blows a raspberry)
- "That loser didn't stand a chance. I mean look at me!"
- "Oh, Isn't that cute? Little bat's a-sleepin. Someone finish him off."
- "Tonight, Gotham, I have defeated your dear Dark Knight. Don't be sad you're next!"
- "One down. Who's next to party with me?"
- "Who else wants to get crazy?"
- "I figured you'd have a little more fight in you. Guess I figured wrong!"
- "Oh, Bats! I really figured you'd last longer than that!"
- "It's okay to die, Bats. I'll be here to protect Gotham. I'll do a real good job!"
- "Get up, Bats! Hey, you ain't looking so good!"
- "Oh, Bats! If you only knew what I have planned! You'd just die!"
- "Aren't you supposed to be up on your feet and trying to stop me?"
- Harley tells me "Bat dies". She was right. - Glitch death scene
Industrial District AnnouncementsEdit
- "Welcome, inmates. You are now taking your first, tentative steps towards a better world. A world of fun, mischief and best of all, a world where the only person you need to answer to is yours truly."
- "I know what you guys are thinking. Is it all true? Is life at Joker Enterprises everything it's rumored to be? Sadly, it is. All of it. But look on the bright side. At least you know what you're getting yourself into and I can promise you this. You'll never leave."
- "Here at Joker Enterprises, I don't take the best, in fact, looking at some of those bozos, I'm not even sure I take the worst. Most of them definitely missed all the branches of the brain when they fell out of the sky, but you know what? I don't care."
- "If you're with me, the only things I demand, except for a murderous attitude and stunning good looks, is loyalty and obedience. If you're with me, I can promise you that I will be behind you all the way. Sometimes, that might mean I'm locked up tight in a bomb proof bunker behind you, but don't worry. I'll always make sure that you are there to protect me."
- "All new recruits will be subject to a mandatory full-body search; inside and out. I know some of you may feel a little uncomfortable at the idea of a giant Russian mercenary performing a full cavity search, but don't worry, he nearly always manages not to tear out anything too vital. You may even enjoy it, I know I did."
Steel Mill Speech Edit
- "Good evening, troops. This is General J with a quick update on what's going down here in Arkham City. As you can see, I'm looking much better. In fact...oooh...I think I'm looking better than ever. Oh, I can hear you all now: "How did this happen?", "Can I get me some of that crazy cure?", "I want answers, damn it! Now!" Well, here's the thing. Answers don't give you everlasting satisfaction. Sometimes you need to brace yourself for disappointment. Now think about it. Imagine your favorite TV show. You've been through it all. The ups, the downs, the crazy coincidences, and then: Bang! They tell you what it's all about. Would you be happy? Does it make sense? How come it all ended in a church? You guys just need to know one simple thing. I'm back. Back for good. Now arm yourselves, boys, we've got a prison break to plan. No hostages. No surrender. I know. It sounds like suicide, but listen. Whatever happens...I'll be right behind you."
- "Downside you're dead. But the upside? We've got each other, Bruce Forever!"
- "This is how it happened. This is how the Batman died."
- "Bats? Bats? BAAATS!!!!"
- "Oops. You're dead! Wait, does that mean I'm dead?! GET UP, BRUCE, GET UP!"
- "Oh, well. That's what I get for betting it all on black."
- "Now, if I was in charge this never would have happened!"
- "Aw, off to see Mom and Pop at that big country club in the sky."
- "Oh, Bats, you big kidder. You don't fool me. Bats? Bats?"
- "Don't head towards the light Bruce. It's not fair, they'll never let me in!
- "Who's going to fight crime now? Robin? "
- "You should take better care of yourself Batsy, there's two of us in there!"
- "What? You survive everything I ever threw at you only to die now, like this?"
- "What the? Why is everything gone dark? Are we dying? We better not be dying, Bruce."
- "Come on, Bruce. You can't die! I didn't kill you!"
- "That's it, Bats, play dead. We've got' em right where we-oh dear."
Behind the Scenes Edit
- In Batman: Arkham Knight, Batman: Arkham City and Batman: Arkham Asylum, Joker was voiced by Mark Hamill, who had previously voiced the character in various other related mediums, most notably the DC Animated Universe.
- In Batman: Arkham Origins, Batman: Arkham Origins Blackgate and Batman: Assault on Arkham, Joker was voiced by Troy Baker.
- In the first Catwoman mission, a portrait can be found with the inscription: "Cain & Abel - The Duality of Man". This is a reference to Two-Face and to the end of the game where Cain and Abel's pose is similar to how Batman was carrying the dead Joker. This also may be a resemblance to Adam and Eve's sons, Cain and Abel.
- When unlocked, concept art for "The Death of the Joker" shows Batman carrying the Joker's body, strongly resembling the iconic scene of Batman holding Jason Todd's body in "A Death In The Family."
- When coming up with the plot of Arkham City, Rocksteady decided early on that the Joker would die. They also came up with the idea that Joker would poison Batman with the same affiliation he had in order to show how the two diametrically opposed characters would interact in pursuit of a shared goal. Warner Bros. and Paul Dini did not oppose the decision, though they had two conditions: one, the Joker's death could not have been done for shock value (that is, his death could not have happened without warning); and two, it had to be made clear that Batman was in no way responsible for Joker's death, as the hero would not intentionally kill someone. Still, Batman did contribute to Joker's death as he unintentionally dropped the cure when the Joker stabbed him, thus unintentionally killing the Clown Prince of Crime.
- In Arkham Asylum/City/Knight, The Joker is voiced in by Mark Hamill, who previously voiced the character in Batman: The Animated Series and other DCAU related shows and video games. However, in Arkham Origins and the Direct-to-Video film Assault on Arkham, he is voiced by Troy Baker in a similar style to Hamill's "cheerfully deranged" portrayal. Baker has voiced other characters in the Arkham Universe such as Tim Drake's Robin and Two Face in Batman Arkham City, and ironically Jason Todd/Arkham Knight in Batman: Arkham Knight.
- Joker is the first playable villain in a DLC. The following games continued the trend, with Catwoman (Arkham City), Deathstroke (Arkham Origins) and Harley Quinn (Arkham Knight).
- Joker is the only villain to appear in a poster on his own AND with Batman for Asylum and City.
- In Arkham Origins he is listed to be 6ft 1in while in City and Asylum he is 6ft, His weight is also 165lbs in Origins, not 160lbs in previous games.
- In Arkham Asylum, Joker would usually crack wise when his henchmen were taken out but is much more serious when this happens in Arkham City. This only happens when Joker is being impersonated by Clayface, another clue to the trick.
- The Joker has 2 different Character Trophies in each game. In Asylum there is the regular Joker and Titan Joker, City has Sick Joker and Clayface Joker, and in Origins there is Regular Joker and Red Hood Joker. This was changed up in Knight with Joker now having three different Character Trophies; these three being Healthy Joker, Sick Joker and Young Joker.
- Despite being scrawny to the point of anorexia, when it comes to fighting Batman Joker can take almost twice the amount of physical pain of his thugs. This might have something to do with the chemicals flowing through his blood, possibly eliminating his basic pain factor
- His age is unknown but due to his face wrinkles and hair loss it can be assumed that Joker is at least around 10, maybe even 20 years older than Batman. However, these could have been caused by his acid bath, and due to his physical shape he is likely Batman's age. Also, In virtually all continuities, when Joker falls into the acid as Red Hood he is a young man, likely in his early 30s as he has already graduated college and grad school, evident by his chemical expertise, and as this happens in Origins when Batman is roughly 30 years old, he and Batman are roughly the same age.
- The Arkham version of the Joker seems to be a bit of a music buff:
- When Batman confronts him in the penthouse of the Gotham Royal Hotel, TV sets behind him are playing the Looney Toons short "Rabbit of Seville" with the Barber of Seville also playing in the background.
- In one of the game over scenes for Arkham Origins, Joker sings his own version of "Ding-Dong, The Witch is Dead" from The Wizard of Oz.
- During his therapy session with Harley Quinn, the background music of the Comedy Club brawl is from The Thieving Magpie, alluding to A Clockwork Orange ; the theme plays during a similar scene with several escaped inmates fighting people in an abandoned theatre.
- During the credits for Arkham City, Batman receives one last pre-recorded message from Joker's cellphone: a recording of the clown prince of crime singing Only You(And You Alone) by The Platters.
- The credits for Arkham Origins homage this: as Joker is locked in his cell at Blackgate he sings Cold, Cold Heart by Hank Williams.
- Interestingly, in both instances the Joker is singing love songs, apparently to his adversary.
- Although not sung by Joker himself, the scene in which Joker is cremated in the opening to Batman: Arkham Knight has the Frank Sinatra song "I've Got You Under My Skin" playing in the background.
- In both The Road to Arkham and the comic prequel to Arkham City, Joker was shown yelling "Are we there yet?" repeatedly, and both times led to him harmed afterwards (in the former, Batman punched him in the face hard enough to leave him groaning without taking his eyes off the wheel, and in the latter, the Arkham Asylum personnel proceeded to inflict torture on Joker in revenge for his killing 103 personnel during the events of Arkham Asylum).
- Unlike in the comic where Joker's lips were changed ruby red it seems that the Arkham version applies lipstick of sorts to not only give him his iconic red lips but also a 'clown smile' that reaches to his ears, evident when comparing the thick smile of Arkham Origins to the thinner smile of Arkham Asylum, Also one scene in Arkham City shows a sick Joker trying to apply lipstick on his TITAN infected lips to get his trademark 'smile'. This painted on smile also resembles a Glasgow Smile, something that The Dark Knight's Joker sported.
Batman: Assault on ArkhamEdit
- At one point while ranting about Harley Quinn supposedly abandoning him in favor of Deadshot, Joker mentions that he'll "make five more just like [Harley Quinn]", alluding to his revelation that he had prior Harley Quinns before the current one and managed to murder them in Harley Quinn's arc in the crossover storyline Death of the Family.
- Joker's recognition of Deadshot and having worked with him in the past is most likely a reference to his hiring of the assassin in Batman: Arkham Origins.
- Two references to some of Joker's plots in different mediums were made when Harley Quinn was searching the Evidence locker for her mallet: A clown mask and a fish with a grin, referring to his robbery of Gotham National Bank in The Dark Knight and the events of the episode The Laughing Fish from Batman: The Animated Series.
- In the storyboards for the scene where Harley is trying to shoot at the Joker included in the behind-the-scenes featurette, Joker says a slightly different line from the final version. In the storyboards, Joker says "Women! Can't live with them, can't kick them out of a moving car without them getting steamed!" In the final release, Joker says "Women! Am I right, officer? Can't live with them, can't kick them out of a moving car!"
- After Joker set off a cache of one of the Arkham guards' grenades and while approaching to steal his gun to kill him before "changing into something more comfortable," as well as when encountering the Suicide Squad near the laundry chute, he briefly whistles the version of "Jingle Bells" from the BTAS episode "Christmas with the Joker."
- When discovering that the "Batman" who had just died was actually Black Spider, he says "Denzel! What have they done to you?", referring to the actor Denzel Washington.
Arkham Asylum Edit
- If you keep constantly visiting the Visitor Center, Joker talks to Batman as if Batman was visiting for a therapy appointment. See here
- When visiting the Visitor Center, after the Joker finishes talking to you, turn the camera around and after a few seconds turn it back and notice how the Joker "mannequin's" arms change positions.
- During his take over of the Medical Building one of several statements the Joker makes through the Asylum's PA system is "Paging Doctor Howard, Doctor Fine, Doctor Howard!". This is a reference to the classic Three Stooges episode Men In Black, where the Stooges play incompetent doctors working at a hospital.
- In Dr. Young's notes, Joker may have looked at them, but he only put his signature around himself only, not even Harley. Yet, there is a Joker smile on the Tweedledee and Tweedledum page, as the Tweeds regularly hire themselves out to Joker.
- Of all the minor tweaks to his appearance, the Joker has been given a make-up based smile to make it look like he's always smiling. This was most likely inspired by Caesar Romero's portrayal of the character, sporting the same artificial smile.
- Unlike the other inmates, Joker doesn't appear to have an identifiable or decorated cell in Arkham Asylum. The only cell that could possibly be his is one found in the penitentiary, because on the wall someone has written "Welcome to my humble abode". Alternatively, he could be kept in the "Extreme Isolation" area of the Asylum, which is the one place that the player can not explore.
- Joker is briefly playable during the third Scarecrow encounter. This is the only time he is available to play for PC or Xbox users as his Challenge Pack DLC was a Playstation 3 exclusive, most likely due to Warner Bros/DC's business deal with Sony at the time. Joker's only gameplay during this segment is walking.
- After Joker "kills" Batman during the third Scarecrow encounter by shooting him at point blank range, the game recommends "using the middle stick" to avoid his gunfire.
- It is revealed that some time before the events of the game, Warden Quincy Sharp entered Joker's cell and tried to kill him, only to be stopped in his tracks by sheer terror, possibly a result of Scarecrow's fear gas or Hugo Strange's manipulations. Precisely why Joker never revealed Sharp's madness to anyone after the incident is not clear, though he might have simply found it more amusing not to.
- The unlockable Patient Interview Tapes for Harley Quinn borrows heavily from Bruce Timm and Paul Dinni's Mad Love story, which acts as the Animated Series origin for the character. Her ending line, "Say hello to your new and improved Harley Quinn!" is a direct quote from the story.
- Although these tapes act as the first meeting between the infamous duo, Arkham Origins retcons it into being technically their second.
- Asylum is not the first time the Joker has turned to Bane style steroids to improve his act. The idea for his final boss state may have been inspired by Brawn, an episode from the third season of The Batman cartoon show, where that version of the character steals Bane's Venom injector to menace Gotham.
- Joker's challenge maps most likely show how he made his way through the Asylum during the events of Arkham Asylum.
Arkham City Edit
- When Joker won the VGA 2011 Rewards he was holding a file with the name Batman: Arkham World. He then dropped it: "Whoops, Spoilers".
- In an alternate ending to Arkham City that plays if Catwoman decides not to save Batman, a disturbing and panicked radio frequency will be broadcast by Oracle. She will plead for anyone who can hear her to send help as Joker and his forces have completely destroyed Gotham and murdered nearly everyone, including Batman and her father, ending by stating that Joker has won. During this ending, a rewound, sped-up message can be heard of the Joker, saying "Thank you for the entertainment, Bats" if the message is slowed down and fast forward.
- In the Joker's Carnival Challenge Map, the Joker can be seen watching the fight and joins in when the player reaches a x100 hit combo.
- He will also act confused by the presence of Robin, referencing Jason Todd: "Didn't I already kill you?"
- The box of tricks found in the Steel Mill, needed to solve the Riddler's Revenge challenge contains Joker's X-ray spectacles from his Asylum DLC and a grinning Joker fish, a reference to the classic two part Detective Comics #475-#476 story The Laughing Fish! and The Sign of the Joker! by Steve Englehart where Joker poisons Gotham City fish to bear his distinctive grin so he can mass market his own brand of fish products.
- At the end of Arkham City during Joker's death, Joker stabs Batman in the arm, making him drop the cure to the ground. Afterwards, Batman states that he would have saved him. Joker technically killed himself by making Batman drop the cure.
- Initially, the Arkham City End Game story (a 6-part arc released as part of the Arkham Unhinged series) revealed that after his death, Joker had one final plan to blow up the walls of Arkham City, which was triggered by a posthumous message that Batman recovered during his mission to rescue the GCPD officers from Harley Quinn. Eventually, Batman would manage to foil his plan, and he and Gordon would arrive to the decision of cremating Joker's body. The Arkham Knight prequel comics tell a similar version of the story, with Joker's final plan taking place before Harley Quinn's Revenge, rather than after, and also with the Arkham Knight involved.
- During Harley Quinn's Revenge several posters for Cadmus Labs can be seen. Cadmus is a science lab in the DC universe infamous for cloning experiments. The posters may have indicated a way Harley was considering to bring her puddin' back or simply a red herring for fans to speculate about a possible resurrection.
Arkham Origins Edit
- The Joker's theme song in Arkham Origins is a very dark rendition of "Carol of the Bells."
- His references to "one bad day" and killing a real estate agent to acquire a themepark come from Allan Moore's The Killing Joke.
- In Arkham Origins, during the failed comedian flashback, all of the Joker's combat moves are lifted directly from Arkham Asylum including his strutting walk. He also borrows a few takedowns from Nightwing and uses Batman's beatdown.
- In Origins, Joker's bio is the only one to be personally written by Batman.
- It is revealed in Arkham Origins that most of the Joker's henchmen were originally mobsters in Black Mask's gang, before the Joker took over his operations. Listening in on conversations between the gangsters also reveals that many of them were dissatisfied with Black Mask under-paying and dispatching them, preferring Joker's chaotic way of doing things.
- The in-universe existence of Batman Smells seems to come from one of Joker's PA announcements during the second Blackgate riot: "Jingle bells, Batman smells, Gotham's quite a mess! Blackgate's mine and you're out of time, which means you'll soon be dead!" A Blackgate escapee sings it later on, to which Batman simply responds "No." before knocking him out.
- The monstrous version of Batman, seen from Joker's P.O.V during his flashback and final confrontation with the hero, is the 'Nightmare Batman', an alternative skin that was initially going to be unlockable after completing the Worst Nightmare challenges in Arkham Origins. The skin could not be incorporated into the finished game in time for release and the version seen in the cutscenes and trophy gallery were most likely pre-renders, now the only traces of it in the entire game.
- Joker is playable in an online multi-player mode and very briefly in the Story mode in Batman: Arkham Origins, which is the second time he has been playable since Arkham Asylum.
- The Joker is currently the only playable character (not counting Bane or any henchmen in Arkham Origins multiplayer) to grant the player the ability to definitely kill their opponents.
- The Joker's bio in Arkham Origins a reference to Batman's thoughts in The Man Who Laughs.
- Although Joker was established to have abducted Black Mask a few days before the events of the game, one of Joker's extortion tapes implied that he had already been impersonating the crime lord since at least the first Thursday of December.
- Upon zooming in on The Joker in the character gallery it's interesting to see that his wrists seem to have a normal pigment to them, looking at his face also shows tiny traces of a human toned pigment, this suggests that the event that turned the Red Hood into The Joker only happened recently, and that the after effects of jumping into the chemicals is slowly turning the rest of his skin white.
- Joker's flashback contains the three constant elements that are always consistent in his many 'origin' stories he tells Dr. Penelope Young in Arkham Asylum: him being The Red Hood, breaking into Ace Chemicals and Batman having a role in his becoming The Joker.
Arkham Knight Edit
- In New Game+, the opening sequence where the Joker is cremated ends with the Joker suddenly waking up and screaming in pain before proceeding to lie back down and laugh all the way to oblivion, with him then mockingly narrating the first line of Gordon's speech.
- Joker's x-ray specs, his personal handgun, a set of explosive Joker Teeth and the dart gun which Joker used to inject TITAN in his body after failing to take over Arkham Asylum can be seen in a display in the evidence locker of the GCPD.
- At the end of the game when Batman finally confronts Joker inside his head, it is revealed and shown by Batman that Joker is afraid of two things, not being remembered and death.
- Joker, as well as his demise, was also alluded to by Red Hood in the Red Hood Story DLC, where he told Black Mask after kicking him out a window to his death to say 'hi' to Joker for him.
- Joker was also alluded to twice in the Scarecrow Nightmare Challenges DLC, both by Scarecrow: The first allusion had him congratulating Batman on the rumors of creating the Joker, and expressed it to be a waste that he couldn't keep him alive (implying that he liked Joker for his causing a significant amount of fear among Gotham), and the second had him telling Batman how he thought, contrary to Batman's claims, that Joker's death was deliberately ensured by the Dark Knight.
- After being infected with Fear Toxin, which causes Batman to hallucinate Joker, bill boards and posters will sometimes portray Joker and Batman in surreal imagery, with lingering laughter in the background.
- One of Joker's Game Over sequences is a reference to the Game Overs in the Metal Gear Solid series.
- Enemy chatter revealed that Joker had once attempted to run for president of the United States, complete with his own TV spots. The militia also remarked that it was unclear how he even got onto the ballot.
- Throughout the game, Joker shifts between his healthy appearance from Asylum and his sickly, scarred face in City, though his sick appearance is used more often, logically due to the fact that Batman is being influenced by what he remembered of Joker, and it was also how he appeared when he died.
- The hallucination where the Joker's neck snaps by Batman's hands may be a reference to his final fate in The Dark Knight Returns.
- Joker's consciousness surviving and taking over his foe's knowledge and resources was done in "Batman Beyond: Return of the Joker". He took over the body of Tim Drake, and used his skills as an engineer to create a satellite weapon, before he was defeated by the new Batman. Nevertheless, there are several differences. The first is that instead of a blood transfusion, it is a microchip, and second a significant amount of time has passed and Joker has not been forgotten. Ironically, both versions of Joker were voiced by Mark Hamil.
- This incarnation of Joker is the darkest version of the Joker, as he has committed infanticide, child murder, and a massive amount of atrocities. The DCAU version has been hinted to have committed atrocities, but aside from his brutal torture of Tim Drake, little of his atrocities are known.
- The song Joker sang in place of Johnny Charisma "I Can't Stop Laughing" is a reference to Joker's relationship with Batman and the events that had led to Arkham Knight.
- Looking closer at the Young Joker in the character gallery shows his painted on smile seems to be in the style of his younger incarnation in Arkham Origins.
Batman: Arkham OriginsEdit
Batman: Arkham Origins BlackgateEdit
Batman: Assault on ArkhamEdit
Batman: Arkham AsylumEdit
Batman: Arkham CityEdit
Batman: Arkham KnightEdit
|Alfred Pennyworth - Azrael - Batman/Bruce Wayne - Catwoman - Jason Todd/Red Hood - James Gordon - Lucius Fox - Nightwing - Oracle - Robin|
|Arkham Knight/Jason Todd - Azrael - Black Mask - Deacon Blackfire - Deathstroke - Firefly - Harley Quinn - Henry Adams - Hush - Joker - Killer Croc - Man-Bat - Penguin - Poison Ivy - Professor Pyg - Riddler - Scarecrow - Simon Stagg - Two-Face - Victor Zsasz|
|Aaron Cash - Jack Ryder - Thomas and Martha Wayne - Vicki Vale|
|Gotham City |
|Bat-Signal - Batarang - Batclaw - Batmobile - Batsuit - Batwing - Detective Mode - Riddler Trophy|
|Achievements & Trophies|