Base of Operations:
|Height:||6 ft 0in/ 1.83 meters|
|First Appearance:||Batman: #1 (Spring 1940)|
| Mark Hamill (Arkham Asylum, Arkham City)
Troy Baker (Arkham Origins, Arkham Origins Blackgate, Assault on Arkham)
- "We need each other! Life would be SO boring without you! Who would I talk to? Who would really understand me?"
- ―The Joker[src]
The Joker is an insanely homicidal super-villain who is considered by all to be Batman's arch nemesis and Gotham's greatest threat, whose white skin, green hair and blood-red lips belie the chaotic nature underlying his cartoonish-clown appearance. The self-styled Clown Prince of Crime has no superpowers, beyond a capacity for incredible violence, good combat techniques and a skill at creating deadly mayhem and holocausts. He frequently concocts elaborate schemes to entrap his arch nemesis, Batman. The Joker's insanity can be considered unique, for example not only does he think of Batman as his greatest enemy, but also as his best friend, ironically the only person Joker doesn't hate. Joker has a sadistic and sickening sense of humor and hedonism and is a complete sadomasochist, making him one of the craziest and deadliest criminal masterminds the world has ever known.
A Forgotten PastEdit
Though Joker's background is generally unknown, he reveals a possible story to Dr. Harleen Quinzel in Batman: Arkham Origins. A miserably failed stand-up comedian, he was pressured into working with the mob by the Falcone Crime Family - in hopes of proving himself to his wife as a suitable husband and father after several "unsuccessful" attempts - forcing him to wear a suit, a bow tie, and a Red Hood with a similarly-colored cloak attached to it. At first, he was afraid to knowing that he would don the infamous criminal Red Hood's identity. But after the mobsters continuously convinced him that he would never get caught by the police, he finally agreed. However, before he can go through with the planned robberies, the police came to tell him that his wife and unborn child have been killed in an electrical shortage. The Falcone mob, being the mob of course, don't care too much about personal feelings or problems and more about the money and other valuable things they might gain. So they made him go through with the robberies anyway. They sent him on a string of robberies, which Batman was tracking. Eventually, they sent him to the Ace Chemicals building, where he worked as a lab assistant before trying his luck at stand-up comedy. There, they were caught in security and a violent shootout ensued. The mobsters that were with him were shot dead. But fortunately, the pre-Joker didn't receive any shots. Needless to say, the robbery turned out to be a complete failure. During his attempt to escape from the chemical factory, he is chased by Batman, which ended with the pre-Joker jumping and falling into a catch-basin vat of toxic chemical wastes thinking he could escape captive by the Dark Knight. He is eventually sucked down a drainage pipe and is dumped in an alley just behind the building. He rips the red dome off of his head and looks at the reflection of his new, disfigured face in a puddle. Upon seeing his new clownish appearance, the transformed man gave off a boisterous laugh. This accident, along with the man's misfortunes that day, drove him over the edge resulting in the birth of the Joker and the start of the career of one of history's most dangerous foes. This story is called into question, as Joker has given Hugo Strange multiple other stories. Joker himself admits that he doesn't exactly remember his own past, stating that he prefers to have a multiple-choice response.
Before Arkham OriginsEdit
An unknown comedian was hired by Carmine Falcone, he hopes proving to his wife. He was forced to wear a helmet with a cape making him into the Red Hood to send to the ACE Chemicals plant where he works as a lab assistant, then he confronted the Dark Knight. He broke his fall into a chemical vat and sucked down the drain pipe and is dumped in an alley in Old Gotham. He removes his helmet off and looks at the puddle reflection of his new face that the chemical transformed him into a green-haired, white-skinned, red-lipped maniac.
During a particularly snowy winter, near Christmas, a man who no one has ever seen or heard of suddenly emerged in Gotham with plans of massive destruction and chaos for the city simply for the sake of it. A man known simply as The Joker, a villain driven by a lust to create social disorder and desired nothing but anarchy to feed his sadistic appetites and morbid sense of humor. With a particular hatred for the Dark Knight himself, having blamed the hero for making him who he is, and a hunger for revenge against him, the Joker begins to make his schemes to destroy Gotham and make Batman suffer in the process. Seeking to establish himself as one of Gotham's most iconic figures and carve a name for himself in the Gotham criminal underworld, the Joker begins to target Roman Sionis, also known as Black Mask, the city's most powerful and sadistic crime lord.
With Black Mask having unlimited resources, henchmen, power, and complete control over the criminal underworld as he consolidates his power and eliminates his opposition, Joker sees his criminal empire as the perfect means to gain control of the city and form his own gang for his agenda of chaos. Joker starts his plans by stealing chemicals from Sionis' mill to manufacture explosives, enticing the crime lord to have the villain followed to learn what he is planning.
Joker is already one step ahead, however, and begins to stalk Roman's girlfriend, Tiffany Ambrose, as he keeps tabs over her boyfriend's criminal activities. This spooks Tiffany, who is then placed within a safe house at Lacey Towers by Roman until he could track the Joker down and neutralize him. Unfortunately for Black Mask and his lover, the Joker uses his own connections to learn of Tiffany's whereabouts, breaks into the safe house, and waits for her to come home. When she does so after grocery shopping, Joker violently smashes her head into the counter and ties her up to the chandelier in the living room.
Black Mask soon begins to suspect that something is wrong and has one of his men disguised as himself enter the safe house as a diversion while he sneaks in the back to gain the upper hand on the Joker. When the decoy arrives through the front door, Joker is gleefully waiting in a chair and immediately shoots the man through the heart, instantly killing him, knowing that he is not his true target. The real Black Mask then sneaks up behind Joker and attacks him, but the Joker proves to be an exceptionally competent fighter and overpowers and beats Black Mask, tying up his hands in the process.
To eliminate any evidence of him being at the safe house, Joker uses a cocktail incendiary device to set the room ablaze. As Tiffany struggles from the heat of the fire below her, Joker then cruelly and sadistically makes Roman hold his gun and shoot Tiffany as Joker drags the struggling Roman out with him. Joker holds Black Mask captive at a hidden location and tortures him over the course of several days, forcing him to reveal every detail about himself. Using these details to his advantage, Joker takes Roman's black mask and disguises himself as the crime lord, taking complete control of his gang, resources, and power. Joker then plots to first destroy all of Black Mask's power and standing in the city and take his place and institute his own brand of anarchy and social disorder.
Knowing that Batman is the only one who can stop his plans, as well as having a hunger for revenge against the hero, Joker places a $50 million bounty on the Dark Knight's head and hires eight of the world's deadliest assassins to take him down. Joker then hands down the order to Black Mask's men to abduct Warden Joseph from Blackgate Prison and bring him to his hideout. When Joseph is brought to Joker, he tortures him with a lit cigarette, burning one of his eyes, and threatens to slaughter his entire family if he does not lower his security at the prison.
Warden Joseph reluctantly agrees and has the security for a portion of his prison become more lax in an effort to protect his family. As the assassins arrive in Gotham, the city's body count and crime rate skyrocket, as Joker stages an attack on Blackgate Penitentiary disguised as Black Mask with dozens of his men and Killer Croc, a cannibalistic killer with a rare condition that makes him appear more and more reptilian as the years pass by.
Murdering dozens of guards and leaving a path of destruction behind him, the Joker takes Commissioner Loeb, who was present at the prison to oversee the execution of Julian Day, also known as Calendar Man, hostage. Joker has Calendar Man released from the execution chamber and lets him loose, believing that his love for murder and torture on holidays is the perfect setup for Christmas Eve, leading to several deaths at Day's hands.
Joker then has Loeb forcibly placed within the chamber under the pretense that the commissioner is no longer serving his best interests with so many of his men imprisoned and wants to start off with 'a clean slate'. The reality of the situation is, however, that Joker seeks to take complete control of Black Mask's criminal activities and eliminate anything that could be used as a benefit for the fallen crime lord. Loeb's murder would also prompt chaos throughout the criminal underworld and institute a power vacuum throughout the police department; chaos that would feed the Joker's love for anarchy.
Loeb is then gassed in the chamber and dies in mere seconds as Joker continues through the prison with Black Mask's men and Killer Croc, killing all who stand in his way. Arriving on the roof to find a set of helicopters ready to make a quick escape, Joker leaves Killer Croc to deal with Batman, who arrived at the prison just minutes prior. While Killer Croc is aided by some of Black Mask's men, Batman is ultimately able to defeat them all and learns from Croc about the enlistment of the seven other assassins.
Batman subdues Croc and makes a quick getaway himself in his Batwing, leaving the cannibal killer for Gordon and his forces. Gotham begins to descend into further chaos as Joker continues to control Black Mask's operations, including drug trafficking, sending out hundreds of his men to murder, steal, and wipe out all opposition, and striking deals with corrupt Gotham police officers, particularly SWAT team leader Branden, promising them all the $50 million bounty if they succeed in subduing Batman.
Joker also hires the services of Edward Nigma, a master hacker who works as the head of the GCPD's Cyber Crime division, who uses his resources and access privileges to take complete control of all the radio towers throughout Gotham in order to block Batman's auto-navigation trackers used for his Batwing. Enigma further adds to the chaos by collecting incriminating information on countless political individuals in Gotham, placing them all within extortion files hidden around the city, and blackmailing the individuals for money and power. Regardless of their actions however, Enigma intends to release the data to the press, resulting in resignations and murders and utter chaos throughout the streets as he works on his plans to eliminate all the corrupt and the unintelligent.
To further aid in his mission and plans, Enigma, using the extensive funding coming from Joker, hires a wide variety of street thugs, muggers, and killers in collecting information and storing them in extortion files, hiding the files for eventual pickup, and guarding the radio towers. Riddler would also set up close to a hundred relays throughout Gotham to prevent his own network from being hacked and keep tabs over all of Gotham, while also rigging the security controls of the radio towers to blow if anyone tries to interfere, leading to the death of a GCP worker. These modifications were done with the help of a third party, a low level thug named John F. Baker, hired by Enigma, who later killed him to further cover up his tracks.
As Batman is hunted down from all fronts and continues to fight against the assassins, he learns of the Joker's existence when he investigates what police believe to be Black Mask and Tiffany Ambrose's murder at Lacey Towers. The hero concludes however that it was not Black Mask, but simply a decoy; he breaks into the Gotham City Police Department in order to gain access to the criminal database to learn more about the crime scene. At the same time, Joker sends scores of Black Mask's men to infiltrate the sewer systems and place hundreds of demolition explosives underneath the foundations of countless buildings, including the sewer's pump station, the city's fire station, train station, and the Gotham City Police Headquarters. While Batman is able to subdue Joker's men and gain access to the criminal database, he is ultimately unable to deactivate the bombs.
After looking through the GCPD's files, Batman learns that Roman Sionis owns and has complete control over the Gotham Merchants Bank, which he uses as a front to launder much of his ill-gotten gains. Batman soon realizes that Joker has taken Black Mask hostage after forcing him to kill Tiffany and intends to use him to gain access to the Merchants Bank, which has security measures that only Roman can deactivate. True to Batman's detective work, the Joker explosively arrives at the bank in a stolen ambulance and murders over two dozen of the bank's employees, sadistically torturing and slaughtering many of them with the use of the bank's Christmas decorations.In the bank, Batman encounters the Joker, who disguised himself as Black Mask and Sionis. Sionis becomes infuriated at the Joker for stealing from him and threatens to kill him only for the Joker to beat him into unconsciousness. Joker reveals himself with Batman quickly realizing that he put the bounty on his head Joker then tells Batman he has more planned for him and takes Sionis to the Sionis' mill blowing up part of the bank up in the process. Revealing that most of Black Mask's men are now loyally working for him due to the benefits they reap as a result, Joker shoots Batman several times and throws the laughing banker at him. Detonating bombs that were rigged in the vault, Joker drives away with both the money and Roman in the stolen ambulance, laughing insanely. Batman grabs the banker and barely manages to lunge away from the massive explosion, but the banker unfortunately succumbs to Joker's toxin and dies with a smile on her face. Anticipating that Batman might still be alive, Joker sends in a handful of his men to check the bank, which leads to confirmation that Batman is indeed still alive.
Amazed that Batman could survive both his gunshot wounds and the explosion, Joker nevertheless remains in cheerful spirits as he embarks on the next phase of his plans. Batman subdues all of Joker's men, leaving one for interrogation, who informs the Dark Knight that Joker murdered over a quarter of Black Mask's men who would not turn and has taken complete control of all of Roman's operations at the Sionis Steel Mill, which contains a secret entrance to a massive drug manufacturing facility and torture chamber, where Black Mask receives shipments of drugs and firearms to be sold onto the streets.
Arriving at the mill, Batman learns that Joker has been using the mill to manufacture explosive chemicals and had his men take Sionis down to his old torture chamber to brutalize and murder him, as well as continue manufacturing and sending out shipments of chemicals and drugs. Batman is able to subdue Joker's crew and rescue Sionis, who has nothing but raw hatred for both Batman and Joker, intending to kill them both. Batman begins to brutally interrogate Roman for Joker's location until Copperhead arrives, intending to collect Joker's bounty, and poisons Batman, allowing Roman to escape at the same time. As Batman begins to hallucinate and sees his worst fears come to life, very similar to the effects of the Scarecrow's Fear Gas, he scans the poison and sends an analysis of it to Alfred in order to manufacture a cure and drop it off to him.
As Batman arrives at ground level, he is forced to fight Copperhead until Alfred sends him the cure via the Batwing, which cures Batman and allows him to finally subdue Copperhead. Locking up the assassin in the back of one of Sionis's trucks, he learns that Joker has called a meeting with the remaining assassins. Tracking down the electronic signals from one of the assassins, the Electrocutioner, Batman learns that Joker has taken control of the Gotham Royal Hotel, murdered over a hundred of its employees, taken the guests hostage, and has begun to reconstruct the hotel into a hellish funhouse with stolen carnival items to torture and slaughter the guests.
Joker also continues to send out his men to commit crimes and wipe out the last pockets of oppositions, allowing them to keep all the ill-gotten gains, much to their delight, as long as they create chaos and destruction. As his men take complete control of Old Gotham, Joker converts the Royal Hotel's penthouse into his secondary base of operations and, still disguised as Black Mask, has Branden and his SWAT team form a perimeter around the hotel to look out for Batman and keep Captain Gordon and the media away. As Gordon is kept busy with the murder of a amusement park worker, most likely the same one Joker killed for the stolen items, Batman infiltrates the hotel after fighting past scores of Joker's men and Branden's SWAT team. Inside, Batman navigates through a river of mutilated corpses and makeshift carnival attractions.At the same time, Joker reveals himself to all of the assassins, including Bane, Firefly, Deadshot, Lady Shiva, and Electrocutioner. Disappointed and annoyed in particular at Electrocutioner's attitude and inability to kill Batman, he throws the assassin from the penthouse and to his death, instructing the rest of the assassins to go out and find Batman while Bane stays, knowing that Batman is coming for Joker. Batman is able to take Electrocutioner's gloves from his corpse and makes his way further up the hotel. As Batman continues through Joker's sadistic traps and Bane's mercenaries, he grows increasingly disturbed at the psychotic nature of the Joker as he sees more and more corpses, some of them being Joker's own men, attached to decorations and crude carnival games. When Batman finally arrives at the penthouse, Bane brutally grabs him and throws him through the hallway, finally throwing him into Joker's quarters. As Bane attempts to kill the hero, Joker forces Bane to leave under the threat of blowing up both the hotel and themselves. As Bane reluctantly leaves, giving him one minute, Joker reveals that he has placed a series of explosives all throughout Gotham and detonates one, causing the entire top of a building directly in front of the hotel to explode. Batman grabs the villain, infuriated, asking him how many people he just murdered. Joker gleefully reveals that the building was merely a construction site, a demonstration of the real carnage soon to descend onto Gotham. Batman slams his enemy into the adjacent table and flings him across it as several of the detonation devices falls on the floor next to Joker. Grabbing one of the devices, Joker reveals that the detonation device he is holding will not be as friendly, laughing sadistically. Having been pushed to his limit, Batman grabs the device, break it, and smashes it into Joker's face. As Batman punches the villain, Joker simply laughs as Bane reappears and punches Batman off his new nemesis. Bane grabs Batman's face, intending to kill him to achieve his peace of mind through dominance of the hero and his city, and flings him through the window. Falling through a ceiling window, Batman prepares himself for a brutal battle with Bane as Joker gleefully watches. While Batman is able to hold his own during the fight, Bane reveals his trump card; a storage tank attached to his body that pumps a deadly chemical known as Venom through his body, giving him enhanced strength and adrenaline. The brutal fight then continues on the snowy balcony overlooking the destroyed construction building with Joker commentating from above as Alfred calls the police in an effort to save his adoptive son. However, Batman is able to fight off Bane long enough for police helicopters to arrive on the scene. Unshaken by this, Joker takes out a machine gun and begins to fire wildly at the choppers, ordering his men to do the same.
The police retaliate and open fire on the Joker's crew, killing them all, while Bane is merely grazed. Realizing that the tides have turned, Bane decides to make an escape as his men in their own stolen choppers arrive and fire at the police choppers, causing them to both collide and explode upon impact, killing all passengers. As Bane jumps into one of his choppers, Batman throws a tracking device on him to locate him later. Joker is annoyed that Bane is attempting to escape rather than finish the job and begins firing on him as well. Bane responds with a bazooka missile which misses the Joker, who remains completely unshaken and continues smiling as the explosion from behind him flings him off the balcony.
As the Joker laughs insanely towards his impending death, Batman jumps to save the mass murdering psychopath, who begins to fight Batman as he tries to rescue him. Batman attempts to grapple them both to safety, but the amount of debris falling from the explosion causes the line to break, resulting in the pair falling through the glass ceiling of the hotel lobby. Violently crashing down onto the floor, Batman is surrounded by two of Joker's men as the villain composes himself and aims his gun at Batman.
Joker is shocked that Batman would actually risk his own life to save him, even after killing so many people in just one night and putting Batman's life in great danger. Instead of shooting Batman however, Joker simply shoots both of his henchmen dead, telling Batman that they were very bad men who performed such horrendous actions that they are unspeakable, just like his own actions. Laughing, Joker then aims the gun at himself until Batman knocks it away and punches the villain to the ground, cuffing him afterwards.Branden and his SWAT team then arrive, still intent on collecting the bounty on Batman's head. The hero however calls his Batwing and escapes as Gordon and Bullock arrive, taking the Joker into custody. While locking the Joker in the back of his police vehicle, Bullock assumes Batman is working with the Joker, wondering why he would bother saving him from a deadly drop if he wasn't. Joker laughs at the notion and wonders the same exact thought himself, realizing that Batman is unlike anyone he has ever met before. Joker is sent to Blackgate Penitentiary, where he undergoes a quick psychological examination by the intern of one Hugo Strange, Harleen Quinzel. Having great interest and sympathy on the Joker, Harleen allows the villain to tell her his view on the world and how the brutality of life made him who he is today. Joker then replies by asking Harleen if she ever had a really bad day. At the same time, Joker remembers his past as a failed and hated stand-up comedian and being strongarmed into becoming an infamous criminal known as the Red Hood, as well as his first encounter with the Dark Knight at the ACE chemicals factory, which led to Joker falling into a tank of toxic chemical wastes. As he removed the hood he was forced to wear, he saw his new face, driving him insane and revealing the reason for Joker's initial hatred of the hero. However, he now sees a new purpose in life with the emergence of the Dark Knight, who he has met through what he believes is fate, after he saves his life and proves to be much more complex and interesting than initially perceived. Seeing Batman as a nightmarish monster just like himself, created from a very bad day, Joker feels that Batman is finally someone he can rely on to play his sadistic games. Excited at the prospect of such a person bringing new meaning to his life, Joker makes Harleen believe that he is talking about her while he is, in reality, referring to Batman. Harleen is taken in by the Joker's false charms and is essentially seduced by the psychopath in a matter of mere minutes, gently touching his hand and preparing to remove his restraints. Joker smiles as he has crafted the perfect pawn to manipulate from within his prison.
Batman, in the meantime, is still incredibly disturbed at the Joker's nature, believing him to be the worst kind of criminal and evil; random, relentless, and unpredictable - the same type of criminality that took the lives of his own parents. Batman uses his tracker to locate Bane's base of operations while Bane's mercenaries seize control over parts of Old Gotham and smuggle in shipments of drugs used in the construction of Venom courtesy of Bird, Bane's right hand man who has connections all over the criminal element in Gotham.
Taking out Bane's mercenaries as they attempt to take over areas of the criminal underworld, Batman enters Bane's hideout to find an experimental chamber. Batman learns that not only has Bane been selling Venom as a drug on the streets to find suitable followers, but he has also been experimenting with the compound to create an even more potent variation of Venom known as TN-1, which would eliminate the need of a storage tank. Having tested it out on numerous followers, many of which horrifically mutate and perish, Bane learns that one of the side effects is severe memory loss. Despite having made great progress with his research, allowing his followers to assimilate the drug into their body without harmful physical effects, Bane has yet to find a solution to overcome this severe memory loss.
Searching his base further, Batman finds a research facility dedicated to himself with various pictures and newspaper clippings of the hero along with a series of complex computers which reveal something horrifying to Batman; Bane has deduced that Bruce Wayne and Batman are one and the same. Horrified and infuriated, Batman destroys the computers and blows the base up, warning Alfred to remain hidden in the Batcave until he can get there.
Before he can however, the destruction occurring in the city reaches a peak again as the remaining assassins are still after the bounty promised to them by Joker with Deadshot destroying a police chopper and holding a civilian hostage in the Merchants Bank to lure Batman out in the open, Lady Shiva and her ninja forces murdering bent cops and criminal as part of their own grand designs, and Firefly destroying the Pioneers bridge and rigging it to blow with his forces. With Joker still destroying Gotham from inside prison with his bounty, Batman has no choice but to take out his remaining assassins before ensuring his home and Alfred's safety from Bane.
Batman is able to subdue Deadshot and his forces at the bank and rescue the hostage and defeat Lady Shiva, who is in Gotham as a part of a much larger scheme at the behest of her master, though she is able to ultimately escape and flee from Gotham; all that was left was Firefly and Bane. Arriving at the Pioneers Bridge, Batman witnesses Firefly set half the bridge on fire as he commands his forces to set the timer on the bombs, and detonate them if the police attempt the breech the area.
Batman uses his Batwing to distract Firefly and sneaks past the police blockade, attempting to reason with Gordon in the process. Gordon still blames Batman for all the criminal escalation throughout the brutal night however, forcing Batman to continue working alone. Batman is able to save hostages taken by Firefly's men and disarm three of the bombs while Gordon and his team disarm the last one. Subduing Branden and the last of his corrupt SWAT team, Batman arrives on top of the bridge just in time to see Firefly blowing up a police chopper and killing everyone within it.
Infuriated, Batman fights past the last of the pyromaniac's forces and faces off against the villain in a final showdown. While the battle destroys most of the bridge and the vehicles on it, Batman destroys Firefly's jetpack and subdues him after the villain realizes that his detonator does not work due to the bombs being disarmed. Leaving the assassin for the police, Gordon finally begins to trust Batman, who tells the police captain that he should listen to him more if they are to truly help Gotham. Gordon agrees and believes that he and Batman made a good team during the situation as Batman leaves.
Contacting Alfred while in route to the Batcave to ensure his safety, Batman is shocked to hear Bane, having infiltrated both Wayne Manor and the Batcave and leaving a path of destruction in his wake. Revealing that he has attacked Alfred and left him at death's door just long enough for a few final words, Bane voices his plans to have Batman become molded into a true rival in battle though his hatred, anger, and sadness over the loss of his most trusted ally; the perfect opponent he needs to defeat in order to finally achieve his desires.
Batman arrives at the destroyed Batcave and finds Alfred barely clinging to life, telling Bruce to not add his death to the burden he carries. Alfred then seemingly dies, leaving Bruce to believe that he is now truly and completely alone, until he realizes that he can use Electrocutioner's gloves to resuscitate him. Batman is able to succeed and saves Alfred's life, with the two finally understanding each other and how they must continue to rely on one another to survive. However, Batman loses hope of protecting his city when seeing just what his very presence has caused to happen in a single night, with his own home and last family member being targeted.
Alfred tells his adoptive son that Gotham always needed a hero like Batman and that the villains and criminals he faces now would've always been out there in some shape or form even it he wasn't in Gotham. Alfred goes on to state that even with all his brawn and gadgets, Bruce must realize that he is still just a man, vulnerable and mortal, and must rely on allies from time to time to protect Gotham City. Turning on the police radio, Batman and Alfred hear that Joker has escaped Blackgate (it is heavily implied that he escaped with the use of security codes given to him from Harleen) and is leading riots that have completely destroyed the prison and killed hundreds.Batman realizes that Alfred spoke the truth and prepares himself to finally put an end to the Joker's night of destruction once and for all. Arriving to see the prison completely engulfed in flames and destruction, Batman fights through scores of escaped convicts and Bane and Joker's forces. Making his way to the center of the prison, Batman finds Joker holding the warden hostage with Bane at his side. Joker reveals that he understands Batman and his code of ethics and has made it his new mission in life to make the hero give up his one rule by forcing him to take a life.
Revealing that Bane holds a heart monitor that will charge up an electric chair, Joker sits in the chair and tells Batman that either he kills Bane to stop his heart from charging up the monitor and the chair or Joker will be electrified to death; either way, Batman will be responsible for someone's death. Bane puts on the monitor, telling Batman to use all his hatred and anger from the loss of his ally in battle, as Joker's men strap him to the chair. As Batman and Bane battle, Gordon arrives and shoot Joker's men who were holding Warden Joseph.
As Joseph and Gordon attempt to get Joker out of the chair, Joker elbows both men, knocking out Joseph and holding Gordon at gunpoint with his own gun, putting the headpiece of the electric chair on Gordon, raising the stakes even higher for Batman. Coming up with a plan to send Bane's heart in cardiac arrest, Batman uses his electric gloves to defeat Bane and stop his heart, making the Joker gleefully laugh. Joker then attempts to shoot Joseph dead when he awakes and stands up to the mass murderer, but Gordon jumps in front of him and takes the bullet instead. Joker continues to laugh and leaves the room to escape from the prison and continue his reign of terror in Gotham with his forces and the escaping convicts.
Batman reveals to Gordon, who was not severely injured due to his bulletproof vest, that Bane can still be revived and tells him and the Warden to arrest the Joker before he can escape. As they do so, Batman revives Bane, who is more infuriated than ever and resorts to drastic measures; using a sample of TN-1 on himself to become even more powerful. As Bane does so, he becomes a hulking mass of muscle with an uncontrollable urge to kill Batman. Batman sprays a string of explosive gel in a circle around Bane and detonates it, destroying the floor beneath them and into one of the prison corridors.
After one final, grueling battle, Batman is able to finally subdue Bane after strapping him to a pair of electrified pacification devices with his Remote Claw. Batman also realizes that Bane's memory has been left damaged by the extensive use of TN-1, securing his identity once again. However, Joker remains on the loose, having shot Warden Joseph and is nearly out of the prison. Batman and Gordon protect Joseph from Joker's gang, leaving Gordon to protect the warden as Batman faces off against the Joker in the prison's chapel.Inside the chapel, Batman finds Joker laughing hysterically at all the events throughout the night (Also the first time Joker calls Batman "Bats"). Batman grabs the villain, who is thirsty for Batman to take yet another life, but, much to his displeasure, Batman reveals that Bane is still alive. Joker then holds his gun to Batman's head, telling the hero that both he and himself are the same, born from very bad days, and exist because of a broken society and law system. Batman refuses to believe in the Joker's words and kicks him across the room and into several pews. Joker continues to goad Batman into killing him, telling him that there is no hope for him. Batman throws Joker into one of the windows, at which point Joker takes shards of the broken glass and attempts to slit Batman's throat. Batman knocks the pieces of glass off of him and punches Joker dozens of times before smashing him onto the ground. Batman begins to strangle Joker, who continues shouting to kill him, but resists the urge and knocks out the villain once and for all. During the struggle Joker would once again see Batman as the nightmarish demon he believed him to be before his disfigurement, but this time he felt not one bit of fear or hate, instead Joker grinned and laughed loudly, this was another big sign that Joker had a complete new look on Batman. Gordon arrives on the scene and expresses his respect for Batman for not killing the Joker before stating that he still has to take him in. However, as Gordon informs Bullock that the Joker is neutralized, Batman disappears. As the police retake control of the prison, Gordon tells his daughter, Barbara, how she was right to think of Batman as a hero and believes that he could indeed be a symbol of hope for the people of Gotham. Joker is left being escorted back to his cell, laughing at Batman's deception. As Harleen smiles at him, Joker states his belief that his future battles with Batman will indeed be "fun".
Later that evening, Quincy Sharp, a political activist, reveals his intentions to reopen Arkham Asylum, partially due to the manipulation of Lady Shiva under Ra's al Ghul's orders, in light of the night's events in an effort to create a more secure facility for Gotham's more dangerous criminals. This essentially reveals that Joker's actions led to the reopening of Arkham Asylum and, thus, started the chain of events that make up the entire Arkham Series.
Arkham Origins BlackgateEdit3 months after having been captured by Batman, Joker, along with Penguin and Black Mask, took over Blackgate Prison, each of them controlling a section of the facility. Before searching for the Line Launcher at the Administration, Batman hears Joker laughing, encounters the Joker on the top of the stairs, and Joker blows the stairs. Joker goes in a elevator with Batman goes after him. After Warden Joseph is safe, Batman finds Joker in a library and pulls out his stun baton to shock Batman to fight. Batman learns that Joker is planning to flood the prision with Joker Toxin. Joker wears his gas mask to release his gas all over the room. Batman defeated Joker and got the codes from him to shut down his gas.
As Joker returns to consciousness, two guards approach him. He kills them by blowing two needles from his mouth into their necks. He stole their uniform so he could escape from Blackgate unnoticed.
Assault on ArkhamEdit
Between Arkham Origins and Arkham AsylumEdit
Once recaptured, Joker would later be transfered to a newly re-opened Arkham Asylum where his current therapist, Harleen Quinzel, would become insane and break him out. In between Christmas Eve and Arkham Asylum, Joker had become the most known criminal in Gotham. Batman had also become well known, now a hero.
4th of JulyEdit
At some point in the Joker's career long before the events of Batman: Arkham Asylum, there was a scheme that happened on July the 4th. Joker had visited a criminal who claimed he could control the weather. Joker learned this criminal's techniques and months later was able to create a power outage. This encouraged Gothamites to go outside. Batman came to investigate the power outage and overpowered the Joker, breaking his nose.
Even as he was dragged to Arkham Asylum his plan was unveiling. His signature toxin had been released in a powder form by fireworks. With citizens out on the streets, hundreds died. He was sedated by Batman before arriving at Arkham. Before Batman could warn them, staff had touched him, the toxin on his skin and clothes, killing them. He was taken to a special cell without clothes and away from the other inmates, one frequently used by Amadeus Arkham before his unethical experimentation was exposed. During his time there he began to write a book, unintentionally and sarcastically suggested by Batman, containing the names of all the people he had ever killed.
Road to ArkhamEdit
5 years later, Joker, now a widly feared and enormously infamous supervillain who has battled Batman countless times, once again escaped and attacked the Commissioner's daughter, Barbara Gordon. Barbara managed to survive the encounter but was left her paralyzed from the waist down and confined to a wheelchair for the rest of her life. This attack along with the torture of Jim Gordon at a run-down carnival as part of Joker's "One Bad Day" theory was enough for Batman to finally and officially give up on bringing Joker back to sanity, and in the future would only focus on keeping him locked up in Arkham.
Sometime later Joker would, of all Batmans enemies, be the murderer of Jason Todd, the successor to Dick Grayson as Robin, by brutally beating him with a crowbar and leaving him to die with a bomb with Jason. This helped Batman despise Joker more than ever.
Another few years later, the Joker and his goons then raided Gotham City Hall, took the Mayor hostage, tied him up and strapped a bomb to his chest. As the Joker taunted the Mayor, he expressed his displeasure that Batman hadn't shown up. The Batman attacks moments later.
The Joker then proceeded to attempt to escape via a large parachute but was stopped by Batman, who proceeded to escort the Joker to Arkham Asylum.
- "Hehe the night is young Bats, and I still have a trick or two up my sleeve"
Batman attempted to track down Gordon anyway, by detecting the alcohol Boles left in the air. Along the way, Joker left traps with Joker Venom as well as many gag chattering teeth. The Joker soon caught onto the Batman's attempt and as a result had Boles killed, no longer needing him. The Joker took control of Arkham's intercom system, telling his goons to destroy the Batmobile as he took over the West side of Arkham Island.
His next target was the Medical Facility where he ordered his goons to round up all the doctors in the area, most importantly Penelope Young, who he needed the Titan formula from. To the Joker's annoyance, Batman defeated his goons and rescued the captive doctors. The Joker drew up a 'party list' which contained the individuals who would help take care of Batman. He enlisted the help of the Scarecrow, who proceeded to attack Batman in the Morgue. After escaping Scarecrow's Fear Toxin hallucination, Batman made his way to Gordon, who was conveniently placed near Bane's holding cell.After Batman rescued Gordon from Harley, the Joker pumped a large amount of Titan into Bane, causing a fight with him and Batman. Joker was disappointed with Bane's inability to kill Batman, so he ordered his goons to assist him, though Batman defeated them all. The Joker's next order of business was to search Arkham Mansion for Dr. Young's formula, and Dr. Young herself, who had gone looking for said formula. After finding Zsasz in the Botanical Gardens, the Joker enlisted his help to deal with Dr. Young. Zsasz held Young hostage in Warden Sharp's office and threatened to kill her if he saw Batman approaching. Joker told Zsasz to just kill her, as she was useless to him since he had already gotten both Venom and Titan. Batman incapacitated Zsasz and rescued the doctor, though an explosion set by Joker in the Warden's safe killed Young anyway. Harley then entered and had her thugs prepare Batman for the 'party'. He defeated them and followed Harley, rescuing Sharp by tracking his DNA. Harley was shown releasing Poison Ivy from her cell, despite Ivy not being on the 'party list', much to Joker's apparent pleasure. He then unleashed the more violent, insane inmates all over the island.
Batman went after Harley, who sent her thugs after Batman again, though he managed to defeat them all. Harley's failure prompted Joker to remove her from the 'party list', and Batman defeated and locked her up, using her DNA traces from around the island to track Joker to the gardens, where the villain unsuccessfully tried to slow Batman down after killing an Arkham guard, Thomas Armbruster.
He demonstrated the successful Titan strain he had managed to create by injecting two of his thugs with a dart gun filled with Titan and having them attack Batman before escaping. Batman defeated the monsters and pursued Joker, who revealed over the intercom that he had teamed up with Poison Ivy and injected her with Titan, causing her to become far more powerful and take control of the island surface with her evolved plants. Batman defeated Scarecrow and Killer Croc down in the sewers and successfully harvested the spores needed to make an antidote for the Titan injection in Croc's lair. Batman then went down further into the sewers and found that Joker was trying to pump Titan pollutants into Gotham, telling his men to stop Batman from preventing this in a threatening, serious manner. After Batman shut off the pumps, Joker sent a Titan monster as a token of his displeasure.
Batman defeated the monster and escaped the sewers. Driven by more power hunger, Ivy betrayed Joker and swore to go after him once Batman was killed. Joker assured her that he would be prepared for her with an army of Titan monsters, saying the she could "bring the wine" and he would "make the salad". Batman managed to defeat Ivy in the gardens. With all of the enemies on Joker's 'party list' defeated, Joker had his men set off several fire works directing Batman, the 'guest of honor', to the 'party' at the Visitor Center by the Cell Block. Rather than fight Batman, upon his arrival and confirmation of being on the 'guest list', the goons acted friendly, cheered him and allowed him safe passage.Batman found a bomb planted by Joker in the visitor center and upon its explosion, discovered the Joker's lair, a throne room atop various plastic toys from which he had been broadcasting to the island. Joker was holding Scarface the puppet and taking out his frustration on him by having a fictional argument before throwing him away. He then berates Batman for ruining everything by "Turning Bane into roadkill, feeding Scarecrow to Croc, "slapping around" Harley Quinn (which is apparently his hobby), and destroying his precious venom plants." The villain then dispatched two Titan fueled security guards at Batman, who defeated them.
Joker then revealed that he had recaptured Gordon before he could escape back to Gotham. Firing a Titan-tipped dart at Gordon, Joker was overjoyed when Batman took the shot himself. However, he was angered when Batman resisted and fought off Joker's attempts to make him give in. Enraged that Batman would never allow him this final triumph, Joker shot himself with one of his Titan darts, claiming he had little more to live for. He quickly awoke and mutated into the most horrific Titan monster of all (possibly being his backup plan the whole time), while still retaining his intellectual faculties. He then directed the circling Gotham News helicopters and Jack Ryder to the rooftops of Arkham so that they could watch his final fight with Batman. Strapping Gordon to an electric chair above a makeshift fighting arena (making him the "referee"), the mutated Joker goaded Batman to give into his injection, as it was the only way they could be on even fighting terms. Batman refused and used the only antidote injection on himself, which the Joker found hysterical. The two, with assistance from Joker's henchmen, then fought a brutal battle, with Batman knocking Joker into the electrical generator used to torture Gordon.
The Joker got up from the attack and said he could take anything Batman threw at him, and asked if the Dark Knight was ready for the next round. Spraying Explosive Gel onto his glove, Batman declared that he would never let Joker win and would always be prepared for his tactics. Enraged, Joker prepared to kill his relentless nemesis as Batman charged him. The gel on Batman's fist then detonated as he struck his opponent, finally incapacitating the most dangerous Titan subject of them all.
Following the Joker's defeat, the GCPD then retook control of Arkham Island, recapturing the escaped inmates and watching over the Titan-powered henchmen as they returned to normal. Joker's transformation back to humanity was quite painful compared to others, culminating with the severe injuries he received in his battle with Batman. He was taken to his cell by several police officers and surviving Arkham security personnel, his plans having ultimately failed. While locked up and recovering from Titan's effects, Joker was left humiliated, angry, and thirsty for revenge. While he planned his next move, Joker began to notice his body was not healing well after being injected with Titan and began to fear that his defeat at Batman's hands may have cost him more than just being locked up again.
After Arkham AsylumEdit
Over the following months after Joker and Batman's showdown on top of Arkham, Joker immediately notices that his body was not healing well at all after his brutal fight with Batman. After the asylum doctors diagnose Joker's condition at his request, they reveal that the chemicals from the Titan dose that Joker took were so large in quantity and taken at such a fast rate at once that large portions of the formula did not leave his body even after his regression, but became assimilated into his blood particles, making it impossible to isolate completely from his body and poisoning his blood stream.
This causes Joker to develop a fatal and incurable illness that soon begins to ravage his face and body and gives the villain an estimated eighteen months left to live before Titan poisons his blood stream completely. Several surviving Arkham guards however have vowed on the graves of their friends that were murdered by Joker that he will meet a much more painful demise.Realizing that this illness will make him appear weak in front of his allies and adversaries, Joker knows he needs to make new plans to ensure that his enemies do not know of his weakness, especially with Arkham City nearly complete. To keep a low profile from the other super-criminals, Joker uses a spoon to dig out the eyes of another inmate during lunch time, knowing that this would give him solitary confinement and allow him the peace and quiet he needed to make his plans.
While imprisoned, Joker escapes from his cell and wanders around the patient belongings room and starts becoming attached to the dummy Scarface, who he found in a locker along with Riddler and Two-Face's suits. Having used the puppet previously during the Arkham riots, Joker uses it to keep himself entertained and focused on his plans to ensure that his mind does not break completely from months of isolation.
With Arkham City soon to be his new settings, Joker sees great new opportunities and prospects to make fresh, new plans to destroy Gotham and get revenge on Batman and all his other enemies and rivals. Within Arkham City, the Joker knew that he could build up a massive army with almost unlimited numbers and stage a massive breakout. With Gotham City right next door to the massive prison, Arkham City would prove to be the perfect area to commence one last, twisted assault on Gotham to wipe out its entire populace. Joker began to modify his plans to this crucial area in order to effectively take over his new stamping grounds and plan a historic cat and mouse game with Batman that would also outline his greatest and sickest joke against Gotham and the entire world as well.
Six months within solitary, Joker finally completes his plans and devises the perfect means to stay one step ahead of Batman and everyone else in Arkham City. However, Joker's sickness has taken quite a toll on him by this time and needed to be seated in a wheelchair to be moved around. Joker knows that he couldn't be transferred to Arkham City or else all his enemies would know of his sickness and weakness and planned to sneak into the city instead; all he needs now is an escape plan and on the night of his transfer to Arkham City, Harley Quinn would provide him with one.
Joker is eventually scheduled to be the first inmate of the recently completed Arkham City, but instead of being brought to the transfer buses to take him there, his escort guard has other plans in mind; plans of vengeance. Joker is brought to a medical lab so that the guards can exact their torturous revenge slowly in retaliation for the deaths of all their friends caused by Joker's plans in the Arkham riots.Unfortunately for them, the ever loyal Harley overheard their conspiracy, escaped confinement, murdered a female guard, took her place, brutally murders the rest of the guards, and finally rescues the Joker and brings him to her prepared escape boat. Joker and Harley escape the island, leaving Scarface behind, but are intercepted by Batman who was immediately alerted of their escape by his newly installed sensors on Arkham Island. Batman manages to destroy the psychotic couple's boat, but Joker and Harley are able to escape amongst the wreckage and proceeded to sneak into Arkham City using the sewer system network that connects to the Gotham Bay.
Being the first inmate in the city undetected, Joker plots to become the ruling elite in the Arkham City underworld and to use the facility for his own malicious designs and purposes and establishes his main base of operations in the Sionis Steel Mill, one of Black Mask's former company properties which Joker knew well from his time impersonating Sionis. Over the next several months, Joker begins renovating the factory into his classical image, complete with a roller-coaster death trap meant as a sadistic recruiting method to weed out the inmates with the best reflexes (those that jump from the coaster before the death plunge).
With Harley at his side, Joker begins to brutally recruit inmates once again for his new army, both old and new associates alike, and soon becomes one of the leading powers of Arkham City, rivaling that of Penguin and his gang. With Harley nursing him, Joker would soon gain some of his health back and would be well enough to walk without the use of a wheelchair, allowing him to embark on some of his plans himself.
Having firmly situated himself in the city, Joker begins to look to form several connections and partnerships to aid in his plans. He starts by paying a visit to Mr. Cobblepot, a.k.a, The Penguin, who was also one of the first inmates in the prison as he refused to move when the perimeter wall was built, believing that their bitter rivalry that started years ago was ancient history.
However, Penguin still remembers all the trouble Joker caused him over the years and refuses to even let him enter the Iceberg Lounge, shutting the door just before Joker squirts acid towards his face. With Penguin now back on his hit list, Joker makes it one of his goals to topple Penguin's power in Arkham City and slaughter him and his entire army. With both Joker and Penguin the first inmates in Arkham, they are seen as the major power-bases by other inmates to join in order to survive in the hellish domain.Lester Kurtz, arrives looking for a job and easily escapes the Joker's death traps and dispatches his goons. Joker, impressed, takes a liking to Lester and welcomes him into his gang, but also instructs his men to keep a close eye on him. Realizing that the Joker is a poor choice of employer, Lester bails out on the gang and goes looking for a job with Penguin. Joker is unsurprisingly furious to the point that he puts a bounty on Lester's head unaware of the fact that he's actually the latest alias of his hated enemy Batman.
Joker and his gang soon become embroiled in violent turf wars for control over Arkham City with other fractions and gangs. In order to ensure that no one could either confirm nor deny the rumor of his illness, Joker relays his orders through Harley while he remains in the shadows, cooking up his plans and operations in preparation of Batman's inevitable arrival in Arkham City. Joker also uses Harley to lead some of his men into making frequent raids on other inmates' supply of drugs in order to aid in his condition.
In addition to this, it seems that Joker has also been taking every precaution to prolong his fate, including abducting his doctor and forcing him to give him a diagnosis and isolate some of the Titan compound from his blood stream. The doctor, after informing Joker of his deteriorating condition and giving him the isolated Titan formula, is sent into the factory's old incinerator on Joker's roller-coaster.
At the same time, Joker begins to obtain several shipments of the Titan formula he sent off Arkham Island into Gotham prior to Batman spoiling his plans. However, he also knew that others such as the Penguin were likely to have obtained some of the shipments as well and uses the Titan he salvaged from his blood stream as a failsafe supply should the other shipments get stolen or destroyed. To this end, Joker uses the Titan in his possession to mass-produce large quantities of the chemicals once again and upgrade some of his gang, sending them out to kill anyone he sees as an obstacle in his plans for control over Arkham City.
Among them was Bane, who has been running a makeshift fighting ring in Arkham City, and is soon attacked by one of Joker's men, who is pumped up on Titan. Bane is defeated and nearly killed until Joker's thug's heart goes into cardiac arrest from the overuse of Titan and is mercy killed by Bane, who decides to locate and claim all the sources of Titan for himself once and for all, knowing just how dangerous it is, especially if used against him.Joker would also target many of the political prisoners within the city, most of them having been incarcerated simply because they knew too much about Arkham City, and have his gang use them as little more than slaves to do his bidding. Some of this would entail these individuals actually completing several tasks that would aid Joker in his ambitions for the war over control of Arkham City, but for the most part, they were used simply as another outlet for the Clown Prince of Crime to let his madness loose and torture and murder more innocents even within the confines of the country's most massive prison complex.
While Joker continues to be embroiled in the turf wars for control of the prison complex, Mugsy, an old time associate of the Ventriloquist, brings Scarface back to Joker as a favor to get back into Joker's gang, who is delighted to get his buddy back. Joker starts spending more time with Scarface than anyone else, making Harley jealous. Harley tosses Scarface into a boiler when Joker was not around, consoling Joker by saying that she slipped, but he tells her not to worry and brings out a new Scarface that Mugsy made for him.
While Joker hugs the dummy, it motions to his eyes with his fingers to Harley, implying that it's watching her and hinting that Joker may be intentionally using Scarface to mess with Harley's love for him for his own amusement and to make Harley more vicious and erratic in leading his plans and operations. Scarface is also the perfect means of abuse that Joker needs, with Mugsy creating a new one every time Joker gets bored with one, freeing him to mutilate, torture, and destroy any puppet that failed to entertain him.
With multiple unseen connections and pawns in place, Joker is prepared to launch his latest plans for the death and destruction of all of Gotham City and beyond. With his pending illness, Joker takes precautions to ensure that he is still seen as one of the leading powers in Arkham City and eventually conquer the new compound for himself. With his plaything of a manipulation, Harley Quinn, Joker issues orders that would eventually come to fruition to reveal a heinous plan that would be unleashed in Arkham City and violently erupt onto the unsuspecting citizens of Gotham City.
None know of the full extent of the Joker's plans, not even Hugo Strange himself, who assumes he has everyone in Arkham City under his control. Joker's plans would not only light up all of Gotham City with death and destruction, but would give him everything he has desired for the past year; power, revenge against Batman, a cure for his illness, incredible and unlimited numbers to command, and even immortality itself to continue wreaking death, chaos, and destruction for decades with no end in sight.
The Set Up For His Last LaughEdit
- "So here's the thing. If you want to make sure that no one else finds out about your past, you should stop poking your nose into mine."
- ―Joker reveals his extensive knowledge of Strange's background to the mad professor
With Joker regarded as one of the most violent and historic criminals of all time, it wasn't long before Hugo Strange has him brought into his office in order to study and understand him, seeing Joker as the ultimate challenge for his psychological tactics. After having Joker brought in to start taped interview sessions, Hugo Strange reminds the Clown Prince of Crime that his remaining time left before his impending death is short, something even Joker admitted. Strange then offered to make a deal with the villain; if Joker allowed the doctor to study him, Strange would make Joker's last days more 'comfortable' in return, starting their alliance.
Throughout his alliance with Strange, Joker has the mad doctor round up dozens of medical doctors and physicians for him to help cure his illness. Regardless of how many doctors Strange abducts and brings into Arkham City, Joker seems more concerned and happy with torturing, mutilating, and murdering them rather than developing a cure.
Unknown to Strange however, Joker has been using the doctors to drain large quantities of his poisoned blood and ship it off to emergency rooms all over Gotham City, infecting thousands of people with his illness. In return, Joker would tell Strange what it is that drove him over the edge of sanity, though all the stories he tells are nothing more than mere fabrications to hide the truth about his condition, which Strange later concludes after reading a dozen different origin stories Joker has told over the years.While Strange believed he knew everything the Joker could be planning, the Clown Prince of Crime shocked him when he revealed that he knew everything about Strange, including his experiments, his control over Quincy Sharp, and his insidious plans for Arkham City, threatening Strange that he would have all this information leaked to the authorities and public if he doesn't stop trying to uncover his past. Using his knowledge of this information further to blackmail Strange, Joker was able to obtain weapons from him (though Strange had his own designs for this course of action), had all the prison's food drops to be delivered right outside his territory, and gain inside information on the occurrences within Arkham City.
Joker eventually finds out that Strange had Mr. Freeze brought into Arkham City and is having him prepare countless medical drugs, chemicals, and serums for his plans by holding his wife, Nora Fries, hostage. Wanting Freeze's genius for himself to develop a cure, Joker has Strange bring Nora to him to use as collateral to make Freeze develop a cure. Leaving Nora in one of his warehouses and at the mercy of his henchmen, many of whom wish to unfreeze and rape her, Joker blackmailed Freeze to develop a cure, threatening to murder Nora if he fails to do so, though Joker planned to kill her regardless if Freeze succeeded or not.
However, Strange, fearing Joker's potential to ruin his plans, forms a pack with Penguin and helps him capture Freeze, lock him up in his Museum, and gain control of his weapons. Strange would still remain in contact with Joker, who was initially unaware of this betrayal, and continue to supply him with weapons as part of his plans to initiate Protocol 10, a military operation that Strange believes will make him famous and serve as a monument to Batman's failure and defeat.
Joker also begins to suspect Strange's ambitions to use Arkham City as a coverup to actually plan an exploitation of the situation to wipe out every single individual within the prison. To this end, Joker makes use of the construction equipment at the Steel Mill to build massive tunnels that connect to Gotham's sewers and subway system as a shelter for whatever Strange has planned to ensure that his army survives while the rest of his enemies are slaughtered.
These tunnels would also prove to be the perfect entry points into the other villains' territory in order to conquer their turfs and claim them as his own. Joker also saw Strange's true designs as a great way to wipe out his most hated enemies and in which, by the end of the conflict, his army would be the only force left standing, ready to tear down the walls of the prison and completely destroy Gotham City once and for all.Eventually, one of Joker's trump cards arrives as Basil Karlo, also known as Clayface, enters Arkham City completely undetected under Joker's orders. Assuming the guise of numerous inmates and security personnel alike, the monstrous mudpack eventually meets with his cryptic employer. Having formed an alliance with the dying clown during his imprisonment in Arkham Asylum, Clayface is quickly convinced to aid the Joker and embroils himself in the Clown Prince of Crime’s last megalomaniac master plan. Despite not actually being imprisoned in Arkham City, Clayface has sided with the Joker for one key reason; to play “the role of a lifetime”. At the request of the Joker, Karlo poses as the healthy crazed Clown Prince of Crime and willingly carries out the vast amounts of chaos the actual Joker would if he was capable.
With Clayface’s vast and nearly unstoppable abilities under his command, the Joker knew he would all but conquer Arkham City with everyone fooled by his double, including Hugo Strange. Next to doubling as him, the Joker used the feat of clay as a puppet of power to carry out his most extreme tasks; having the shape-shifter overlook all operations outside the Steel Mill alongside Harley, recruiting and building up his army into massive numbers, and ultimately convince a cold tempered Mr. Freeze to develop a cure for the clown’s growing illness (although Hugo Strange had already taken Fries’s wife, Nora, hostage by that point).
The Joker was almost sure he was clearing a pathway straight to his victory and with the spotlight focused on his doppelganger he knew that he could easily stay hidden in the shadows long enough to see through his countless plans; which coincidentally would also play into what would be Clayface’s final “performance” as well.
Joker would eventually use Clayface to disguise himself as various TYGER personnel to infiltrate their locations and obtain their equipment and even the card keys and codes needed to access structures right outside Arkham City's perimeter walls. With these items in his possession, Joker gains access to the Sionis Boat House, just next to his base, where he stores his most valuable weaponry, equipment, and plans; away from the prying eyes of Hugo Strange and his TYGER operatives who remain completely ignorant and blissful of the true magnitude of Joker's own operations.
Joker lastly used Clayface to infiltrate Arkham Island, now TYGER's main base of operations, to place dozens of explosives deep within the bowels of the Asylum as part of his alternative plans for Batman and Gotham, as well as to take out TYGER when the time was right. With everything in place and his plans completely unnoticed by even Hugo Strange and TYGER, Joker waits for Batman's inevitable arrival in Arkham City, where their most brutal and psychological battle will play out.
Arkham City LockdownEdit
Batman fights Joker's thugs across the Gotham rooftops before encountering the Joker, who promptly starts setting off explosives in the surrounding buildings before Batman manages to catch up with him and beat him down.
- "Well look who it is! I haven't seen you for.. How long has it been? Let's see, there was an asylum, some monsters and oh that's right! You left me to die."
Each and every day, the war for control over Arkham City would escalate and become more chaotic and violent as Joker relished in the mass amounts of chaos, destruction, torture, murder, and mutilation he brought to the streets. In love with the very madness he creates, Joker is not concerned in the slightest about his opponents in the turf wars as he has already begun to lay the foundations of his megalomaniac plans and implement his numerous trump cards that only he and a select few know about. Before long, Joker would obtain everything he needed to conquer Arkham City and find the means to obtain complete power and control to destroy Gotham.
As Bruce Wayne is abducted and brought into Arkham City under Hugo Strange's orders, Joker's crew have seized control of the Arkham City Medical Facility, built inside the Gotham Cathedral, and have captured all the medical staff in order to claim all the chemicals and drugs for themselves. With Harley leading the operation, Joker's thugs also abduct a doctor, Stacy Baker, who previously diagnosed Joker, under his orders to bring her to him for an update on his condition.
Knowing that Two-Face is stationed in the Solomon Wayne Courthouse near the cathedral, planning to execute Catwoman to showcase his might, Joker also intends to ambush the operation to spoil Two-Face's plans, kill Catwoman himself, and grab Batman's attention. As Batman infiltrates the courthouse, defeats Two-Face's men, rescues Catwoman, and strings Two-Face upside down over a pit of acid, Joker sees his opportunity to implement a surprise attack. Using a remote controlled sniper rifle that Harley set up in the cathedral tower, Joker attempts to assassinate Catwoman, though his primary motive was simply to coax Batman into tracking him down as part of an elaborate trap.At the same time, Joker also begins sending groups of his men to find Mr. Freeze, who mysteriously disappeared, and to also enter Two-Face's territory and attack Dent's men in order to take advantage of his dwindling numbers. After making his way into the Smelting Chamber, Batman rescues Stacy, defeats all of Joker's bodyguards, and finally enters the office of the Clown Prince of Crime himself. When he enters the office, Batman finds Harley crying over a seemingly lifeless Joker in a wheelchair. However, this is all part of Joker's plans as he fakes his own death in order to divert Batman's attention, allowing the hero to become vulnerable to a surprise attack. Batman is soon gassed by Clayface disguised as Joker from behind (Batman believes that the Joker in the wheelchair was simply a dummy) and then beaten into unconsciousness by Harley with a bat, at which point Joker firmly ties Batman to a wheel chair, tapes a phone to his chest, and sticks a syringe in his throat to transfer his poisoned blood into Batman's body. With Batman now infected with the same disease as Joker, Joker insists that Batman follow his commands in order to get a cure for the disease from Mr. Freeze. Though Batman is willing to die if that means the end of the Joker, the villain reveals one of his trump cards; thousands of innocent people in Gotham are also infected with his blood.
Revealing that poisoning Gotham City is a separate plot from Protocol 10, Joker rolls the wheelchair outside the window, telling the Dark Knight that he will keep in touch with the phone he taped to him. However, Joker plans to not only use Batman to obtain the cure but also as his greatest asset in the turf wars in Arkham City in order to defeat his rivals. Batman, realizing he has no choice but to find the cure to save Gotham once again, allows Joker to send him on several missions to obtain the cure.
Meanwhile, a portion of Joker's crew have split up into two groups with one killing Penguin's crew outside the old GCPD Building, where Freeze was previously stationed, and one moving into Two-Face's territory and massacring all of Dent's crew and rounding up any stragglers for information on where Freeze is currently.
Keeping in contact with his longtime enemy through phone calls, Joker eventually sends Batman to rescue Mr. Freeze from Penguin, knowing that this will also topple Cobblepot's power in Arkham City and eliminate a major opponent in his control for Arkham City. Once Batman defeats Penguin's forces, saves Mr. Freeze, and puts Penguin out of commission, Joker immediately takes advantage of this new tide in the battle and has his men slaughter hundreds of Penguin's men and press any survivors into joining him. Using the sewers systems and tunnels that Joker's crew had made over the previous months, Joker's followers infiltrate Penguin's territory and begin claiming it for themselves.
At the same time, Joker sends his men to retrieve the last shipment of weapons from Hugo Strange under the foundations of Wonder Tower, Hugo Strange's base of operations, which would contain the most devastating weaponry including missile launchers, sniper rifles, rocket launchers, automated assault rifles, mines, high frequency power generators, thermal trackers, and much more.
With his increased firepower, Joker takes Arkham City by storm, conquering nearly the entire compound with only a small portion of Two-Face's territory left and leaving a trail of death and destruction in his wake. Almost every prisoner within Arkham City would be forced to join Joker's army, making Joker the ruling elite on the streets while Two-Face's men were being rounded up and tortured for information in the Steel Mill. However, Joker was still in desperate need of the cure and feared that perhaps Batman has actually failed or turned on him as he has not heard from him in hours.
Taunting Batman through phone calls with dubious clues about what he is truly planning, Joker was relieved to learn Batman has found the means to develop the cure and has Freeze create enough for both of them. However, Freeze destroys one of vials of the cure and refuses to give Batman the remaining one, which he locked up in his safe, until he saves his wife from Joker. Batman, knowing how little time he has left, fights Freeze for the cure. Joker in the meantime, having planned to double-cross Batman the entire time, sends Harley to steal the cure (and to also murder several of his henchmen for failing to capture Freeze) while Batman and Mr. Freeze are fighting by cutting the wall open located behind the safe and pilfering the cure.
In place of the cure, Harley leaves two Joker cards, with one being a faxed version and the other being a physical card, which are actually clues to what Joker's plans truly consisted of, to taunt Batman. Joker also orders Harley to steal some of Freeze's offensive equipment in order to increase his weaponry after successfully obtaining the cure. With Harley on her way to deliver the cure, Arkham City under his complete control, his increased weaponry, and Protocol 10 just under an hour away from commencement, Joker begins making his plans to blow the walls of Arkham City and form escape routes to lay a bloody siege on Gotham City and completely destroy it and wipe out all its citizens. To this end, Joker begins placing explosives all around the perimeter walls, ready to be detonated when the rest of his plans are in place. As all supplies, ammunition, and weapons are prepared and stored away for transportation, Joker motivates his army and prepares them for the massive attack on the city.
With Batman having accomplished everything he was blackmailed to do, Joker is delighted to begin his cat and mouse game with his old enemy and friend anew. To renew his game with Batman, Joker makes an anonymous phone call to the Gotham Tonight Show to inform the staff there that Batman was in Arkham City in order to lure news reporter, Vicki Vale, to the city. Once Vale was in the perimeters of the city in her news chopper, Joker takes over her broadcast to taunt her and then fires a rocket at her chopper, causing her to crash land in Arkham City.
With Vale's chopper destroyed and her pilot dead, Joker sends some of his men to kill the helpless reporter with sniper rifles, knowing that this will force Batman out into the open and serve as a diversion while Harley returns to the Steel Mill with the completed cure. Batman neutralizes the threat and rescues Vale, at which point Joker contacts him again, telling him that if he wants the cure, it will be waiting for him in the Steel Mill. With all the pieces in place, Joker is prepared to start the next phase of his plans and obtain the main objective of his schemes; finding the Lazarus Pit, which was hidden somewhere under Arkham City, to obtain immortality and absolute power and assume control over the League of Assassins.
However, just as Harley Quinn was about to reach Joker with the completed cure, Talia al Ghul, also in Arkham City to aid in her father's operations, intercepts her, ties her up, and steal the cure. Joker soon realizes that something must have went wrong and resorts to an alternative, knowing that he needs to have his gang under the impression that he was cured to motivate them to attack the rest of Arkham City and Gotham.
He then has Clayface utilize his abilities to assume his appearance once again and sends out a video taped message all throughout the Steel Mill to make his forces believe him to be completely cured and ready to lead them in full force once again. This works beautifully as all his men prepare for their final siege of Arkham as Joker concentrates his efforts on securing the Lazarus Pit. In the meantime, he also sends out a handful of his men to the Gotham Radio Tower near his base to take control of the broadcast frequencies and implant a message from him to all of Gotham as part of a fail-safe plot.After rescuing Nora Fries from his henchmen and retrieving Freeze's stolen equipment, Batman eventually confronts Joker, who is staring into a mirror and appears perfectly healed, though his reflection curiously shows him still sick, at the top of the Steel Mill. However, the reality was that Clayface was still posing as the healthy Joker while the real Joker was on the other side of the mirror, escaping from the Mill through this diversion.
Batman eventually defeats this Joker and dozens of his men, but is soon surprised when TYGER helicopters suddenly begin firing missiles at the Mill and all over Arkham City under Strange's orders, revealing that Protocol 10 is actually a security measure to wipe out the entire inmate population through missile attacks. TYGER continues raining down death and destruction onto the city, destroying the room and pinning Batman under the rubble. Clayface as Joker, gleeful, prepares to carve a smile into his face when Talia al Ghul interrupts him and offers him immortality in return for Batman's life.When Batman warns Talia not to do so, Talia presents her sword to the Joker, who gladly accepts it and agrees to lead the league, planning on taking advantage of Talia's knowledge of the Lazarus Pit to finally locate it. Leaving Batman, hundreds of his own crew, and even Harley Quinn, at the mercy of Protocol 10, Joker is led to the very building that is directly located over the Lazarus Pit Chamber, the Monarch Theatre.
Contacting his forces, Joker orders the rest of his vast army to take shelter in the tunnel systems that they have constructed over the months to wait for Protocol 10 to end and the rest of their adversaries slaughtered before emerging back onto the streets to start the final phase of his plans. At the same time, he sends a handful of his henchmen down to Wonder City to retrieve all the Wonder City Robots, planning on reprogramming them to serve as weapons once he assumes leadership of the League of Assassins and commences his massive attack on Gotham.
While it seems that Talia betrayed Batman, she truly intends to lure the Joker aside and kill him while Batman tracks her down using one his trackers that Talia equipped on her person. Batman however knows that Talia is the one in danger and, true to his prediction, Joker easily outsmarts and overpowers her at the Theatre, holding her hostage to ensure that Batman arrives at the Theatre for their final performance. Joker finally prepares the last steps of his plans; setting up an arena for an incredible showdown with his old friend and eternal enemy.
Turning the Monarch Theater into his own personnel arena, Joker rigs explosives all over the floors and walls, knowing that the key to immortality he so desperately craves was underneath his very feet. With Protocol 10 wiping out the rest of the competition, Joker counted on Batman to take down Strange and come to him for their final battle. As Joker waits for Batman's arrival, he records one final message that is meant to be communicated to Batman in the event of his death. Once recorded, Joker gives it to his henchmen to be stored within the Steel Mill as part of his contingency plans to destroy Gotham. Once the rest of Gotham's super-criminals were killed off in Protocol 10 and Strange was taken down by Batman, Joker would be able to take complete control of the entire criminal underworld and lead the whole inmate population of thousands of bloodthirsty and sadistic mass murderers, serial killers, and rapists to blow the walls of the prison, stage a coup against TYGER and steal the rest of their equipment and armory, and erupt onto the streets of Gotham in an orgy of bloodletting.
With the League of Assassins under his complete control, the powers of immortality at his disposal, the most technologically advanced military grade weaponry known to man in his possession, and the sheer amount of numbers in his forces to command, Joker relished at all the death and destruction he could bring to Gotham and the world for centuries with nothing in existence to stop or kill him.
After Batman stops Protocol 10, all TYGER forces are neutralized, Wonder Tower is destroyed, and Hugo Strange and Ra's al Ghul, the secret benefactor behind Strange's plans and operations, are killed. With everything in place, Joker has his men conquer what's left of Arkham City and patrol the streets as he takes control of the prison's monitor and communication systems to challenge Batman to a final showdown at the Monarch Theatre.
Batman soon arrives, subdues all of Joker's crew, and enters the very Theater where his life as a crime fighter began to take root. With Talia at gunpoint, Joker demands the cure from Batman, confusing the hero as he believed Joker already had it and cured himself. In the confusion, Talia grabs the sword she presented to Joker and runs him through with it, seemingly killing The Joker once and for all.
As Talia reveals she stole the cure from Harley Quinn before she could deliver it to Joker, Batman looks at his hated enemy, believing that his death was an unnecessary casualty and tells Talia that there is always an alternative tactic to defeating an enemy. Talia defends her course of action to Batman by stating that it was a necessary one in order to save him and comforts the hero, assuring him that the long night of chaos and destruction instilled by the Joker, Hugo Strange, and her father, was finally over.However, realizing that it's never simple with the Joker, Batman begins to rethink all the strange occurrences throughout the night; a seemingly dead Joker dummy in a wheelchair, the two versions of the Joker card left in place of the cure, and a healthy Joker looking into a mirror that reflected a sickly Joker. Connecting them all together, Batman realizes the truth: there was always two Jokers. Surmising that since Joker never received his cure, Batman immediately concludes that the healed Joker was not the real one and turns to Talia just as he heard a gun cocking in the distance. Batman, screaming out to Talia in vain, is too late to warn her and watches in pain as she is shot fatally in the back. Falling into the arms of her beloved, Talia apologizes to Batman for her carelessness with her last breath and dies as the insane laughter of the one, true Joker reveals himself in front of the movie projector holding the gun he shot Talia with.
Still sick and nearing death, Joker aims his gun at Batman next, demanding for Batman to hand over "his cure". The healthy Joker finally reveals himself to Batman as Clayface, having been smuggled into Arkham City under Joker's orders to take up the spotlight and divert attention from his true plans; Clayface agreed to assist Joker for the chance to play the role of a lifetime and then take on Batman's persona after killing him.
Clayface grabs the cure before Batman can, absorbs it into his body, and starts an incredible battle with the Dark Knight, using all his abilities to the fullest of their potential. With Joker watching the spectacle from the balcony, the fate of Gotham City and the world at large hung in the balance of this final showdown as Batman's own life was merely moments away from death. However, Batman is able to use freeze grenades that were manufactured and given to him by Mr. Freeze in return for saving his wife to stop Clayface in his tracks and retrieve the sword still stuck within him from Talia's attack. Batman then proceeds to cut Clayface into pieces with the sword, at which point the Joker, after making a tasteless joke about Talia's death, detonates the bombs on the floor for a "change of scenery."
As the floor explodes, Batman and Clayface are violently thrown down into the Lazarus Chamber, where their brutal fight continues. Clayface, now greatly weakened, begins isolating portions of his body into small soldiers to attack Batman as he attempts to compose his body mass once more. However, Batman, still wielding Talia's sword, is able to cut through Clayface's forces and throw freeze grenades into his body, freezing him once again. The dying hero then enters Clayface's body, retrieves the cure, and cuts him clean open, incapacitating the monster once and for all. Batman, having retrieved the cure finally, drinks it and cures himself of the Titan disease, while also keeping half to cure Joker and the rest of Gotham.
Joker, unshaken by Clayface's defeat, prepares to jump into the Lazarus Pit to claim immortality once and for all and become the new leader of the League of Assassins. However, much to Joker's dismay, Batman throws the sword into the main generator, causing it to falter and knocking what's left of Clayface into the Pit. The controls and remaining generators go critical as a result as Clayface's body matter contaminates the chemicals of the pit, resulting in an explosion that completely destroys the pit and most of the room.
With his plans ultimately ruined, Joker demands his last hope from Batman, taunting him that despite all the death and destruction he caused in just a single night, Batman will still save him. Batman voices his hatred of the Joker and his temptation to refuse him the cure and let him die, knowing that he will only continue to break out and kill if left alive and locked up. Laughing at the absurdity of their never ending battle, Joker stabs Batman in the arm, causing him to drop the vial, which shatters onto the floor. Joker screams in horror as Batman throws him to the ground and tries in vain to drink the cure from the floor.Accepting that he will ultimately die, Joker asks Batman if he is happy now and calmly sits on the ground. As the Joker's health begins to reach its ultimate low, Batman reflects on the irony and humor in that Joker was actually correct; despite his crimes, Batman would have still saved him. The Joker agrees with Batman and also finds the situation genuinely funny, laughing and coughing soundly in his final moments before he finally succumbs to his Titan poisoning, dying with a smile on his face.
Pitying his long time nemesis, Batman grimly picks up and carries Joker's corpse out of the Monarch Theater; as the doors open, Joker's gang is outside chanting his name, expecting to see their leader triumphantly striding out and having defeated Batman once and for all. They all go completely silent when they see The Dark Knight carrying The Clown Prince of Crime motionless in his arms. Among the gang outside the theater is Harley Quinn, who gasps and falls to her knees, sobbing uncontrollably as she sees the Joker's limp body being carried away by Batman. Batman finally carries Joker's corpse through the main gate of Arkham City and into Gotham City, where the GCPD have gathered in preparation to retake the area from the rampaging criminals. He places the Joker's body on the GCPD patrol car of James Gordon, who is also shocked to see Batman's greatest nemesis dead and repeatedly asks him what happened, only to be met with silence. Over the following weeks, as Arkham City is shut down, Batman would see to it that a massive quantity of the cure for the Titan disease would be manufactured and administered to all of Joker's victims, curing them and saving their lives.After years of death, misery, and tragedy, The Joker, The Clown Prince of Crime, and Batman's greatest threat and arch-nemesis was gone at long last. However, unknown to Batman at the time, not all of the late clown's plots have been foiled as Joker had laid out a series of contingency plans and operations in the event of his death that have already taken effect. With Harley and the rest of Joker's followers ensuring that his legacy will be upheld, Joker's back up schemes would rock Gotham to its very core and continue to plague Batman. Even in death, The Clown Prince of Crime would continue to destroy Gotham and resume his cat and mouse game with Batman.
LegacyEditJoker's death has deeply affected both Harley Quinn emotionally and mentally, making her more vicious and temperamental, and Batman, who hasn't been the same, being even unable to say a word about what happened during the last time he was in Arkham City. His death has also caused the creation of Harley's revenge plan on Batman, she kidnaps various GCPD Officers and even creates a shrine to Joker. While looking for the officers Batman comes across a message left by Joker before his death but decides to put it off until later. After going to rescue the kidnapped cops, Batman is shot by Harley and put in a sphere in the Joker robot in a comatose state. After 2 days, Robin goes to rescue Batman and stop Harley's plans.
After rescuing Batman, Batman himself goes to deactivate the bombs before the facility blows up while Robin goes to take the officers out of the building, and after deactivating them, Batman goes to arrest Harley and discovers that it was she who stole the Mechanical Guardians from Wonder City and uses them to attack Batman and, after defeating them, he discovers Harley's ultimate plan, destroy the entire facility and killing everyone in it including herself, so she can reunite with her beloved Mr. J. Batman manages to escape the blast radius along with an angered Harley, but it appears that Robin was caught in the explosion, and taking advantage of the situation, Harley tries to stab Batman with a knife to finish her revenge, only to be stopped by Robin, who throws a Shuriken at her, knocking her out. Seeing that Robin and the cops are okay, Batman goes and leaves the area.
After the incident with Harley, Batman and Gordon meet at the morgue where James reveals that after the autopsy it was confirmed that The Joker really was dead and that they need to decide on what to do with the body. The next day Batman investigates the message recorded by The Joker in the event of his death and with it revealing that Joker has put bombs on the walls of Arkham City planning on releasing the criminals onto the streets of Gotham. To make sure others don't interfere, Joker sends a message to Gotham saying that whoever finds and returns his body to Harley will be rewarded with 1 million dollars, causing destruction and chaos in the streets. With the GCPD occupied, Joker claims that Batman is the only one that can stop it and says he'll find the deactivation code at a place of independence on his way to Arkham Asylum. Batman remembers a brutal plot by the Joker on the 4th of July in which the villain caused a blackout in Gotham causing people to go outside and investigate only for the Joker to have rigged Firecrakers and lacing them with Joker Toxin killing many men, women, and children.
After the incident, Batman remembers he took the Joker to a cell of extreme isolation and summarizes this is where the deactivation code is. Entering the cell Batman finds a book containing the name of all his victims suddenly the door closes revealing bombs inside the the room placed by Clayface. Joker on a loudspeakers announces that he never planned on freeing the inmates in Arkham City and reveals that everything was set up to lead him into this trap and with his last words to the Dark Knight the bombs explode drawing the officers, Detective Bullock, and Vicki Vale to the scene. While the officers search, the only thing they find is Batman's bloody cloak. Gordon finds out and orders Harvey to keep the news from reaching the public. As Gordon loses faith in protecting his city he is contacted by Batman who does not reveal how he survived such a chaotic explosion and the two decide to cremate Joker's body. Finally after years of death and destruction Batman claims that finally there will be no more laughs as The Clown Prince of Crime's body is cremated.
Batman: Arkham KnightEdit
While the Joker has not yet been confirmed for the new game and Rocksteady denies that he is still alive, it is unlikely that he will be left out of the finale of the Arkham saga, considering he was Batman's greatest foe. Due to Batman's emotional stress over Joker's death, he will most likely have hallucinations of Joker.
Over a year later after Arkham City's shutdown, Joker's death and the ultimate failure of his plans leads Gotham City to a time of peace with crime dramatically decreasing to nearly zero for the first time in years. Without Joker's chaotic and murderous presence plaguing the streets of Gotham, citizens have never felt safer and other criminals have become much more quiet and relatively neutral. Fearing that something was developing behind the scenes, Batman keeps a dedicated vigil over the city and develops new technology as he continues to struggle with his feelings over his nemesis's death. However, without Joker's hold over the criminal underworld, a power vacuum is left in place as other villains begin to seize the opportunity to gain control over the criminal element for their own designs.
Ultimately, Scarecrow, returning after years of hiding and plotting after Killer Croc's attack on him underneath Arkham Asylum, manages to take over the criminal underworld and unites all of Batman's enemies. Knowing that Gotham City will never truly be theirs to conquer and twist to their desires with Batman still alive, the villains agree to temporarily collaborate in order to finally achieve their common goal; the death of Batman. With Joker's presence gone, the remaining members of Batman's rogues gallery have a much easier time working together without the Clown Prince of Crime upsetting the balance and have silently been working together for the past year to unleash an elaborate plot to destroy Batman and conquer the city he vowed to protect.
Having consolidated all of the city's worst criminals and villains, Scarecrow instigates an evacuation of Gotham City under the threat of his new strain of fear gas, developed over the last couple of years with portions of it manufactured within a chemical weapon hidden somewhere in the city, being unleashed. With the city evacuated, only police officers are left as the villains and their respective gangs, now all working together, begin to take over the streets and create chaos and destruction all over Gotham. Harley Quinn herself joins the alliance with her own plans to avenge Joker's death and ensure that the villain's legacy lives on throughout Gotham City and beyond.
GameplayEditA special download for Arkham Asylum exclusive to the PlayStation 3 allows players to take control of the Joker. He has his own attacks and challenge maps in which he must fend off Arkham's security guards trying to apprehend him. During combat, Joker employs a spray can of his lethal laughing gas, a revolver handgun, and his joy buzzer as special attacks. Joker uses his impressive hand-to-hand abilities to punch, slap, kick, and poke out eyes. During stealth missions where Joker must dispose of Arkham's security on patrol, he can use a pair of glasses called specs to see through walls and identify guards, similarly to the Detective mode, though he can't move while using them. The Joker also fights specific characters from the regular game, including guards Aaron Cash, Henry Smith, Eddie Burlow, Zach Franklin, William North, and Louie Green, as well as Commissioner Gordon. The challenge maps are divided into melee and stealth challenges. The melee challenges pit Joker in an arena-like room to face off against a number of security guards who come in to face the Clown Prince of Crime in groups. The stealth challenges are when the Joker must defeat all the Arkham guards without being detected in a large area of Arkham Asylum complete with nooks and crannies for the Joker to hide in. He also has joker teeth that explode, destroying walls and killing enemies.
Real Name: Unknown
Dr. Penelope YoungEdit
My most challenging patient at Arkham. The Joker's derangement defies easy classification. His rapidly changing mood swings hint at borderline personality disorder, but he has no trace of associated identity problems. He also displays signs of deep narcissism, but nonetheless he has a well-developed sense of others, as his ability to manipulate everyone from orderlies to doctors in Arkham is extraordinarily well-developed; he also shows all the signs of a highly functioning sufferer of antisocial personality. At times I actually wonder if he is actually insane at all.
His criminal record makes clear that he is an unrepentant homicidal maniac.
He is extremely manipulative; the file detailing Harley Quinn's associations with him is fascinating reading. It's unfortunate I was not on staff at the time to witness his seduction of her firsthand.
His past is unknown, and his answers to me about it are wildly inconsistent and frequently fantastical.
Dr. Hugo StrangeEdit
Dr. Hugo Strange: Side Note This self-styled criminal Clown Prince of Crime remains as volatile and violent as ever. His showdown with Batman in Arkham Asylum has left him humiliated, angry and thirsty for revenge. Some form of disease is spreading over the Joker, ravaging his face and body. He has repeatedly refused to be treated by anyone except his special 'nurse' Harley Quinn.
The Joker came to Arkham City laughing himself silly -- what's so funny about this place?
~ Dr. Hugo Strange
- Unrepentant homicidal maniac, albeit without a precise psychological diagnosis
- Surprisingly strong hand-to-hand combatant
- His past is unknown; conflicting, unconfirmed reports state that he was a failed comedian, a petty thief, and a broken family man
- Employs various deadly weapons, often based on party-gag items
- Frequently uses a toxin that stretches victim's face into a Joker-like grin and causes death
- Unbelievable escapist and stronger endurance than a normal human being
- His sense of humor can be credited to what he perceives to be wrong with the world around him, as he is often seen laughing at the pointlessly terrible and truly wrong. This gives an indication as to his true feelings on the matter as his laughter is seen as hollow at times. For instance, Hugo Strange comments on his finding Arkham City funny even though a normal human being would consider it an abomination. Joker only finds humor in what is wrong with humanity and points it out, highlighting it before attempting to either broaden the chaos around it or simply destroy it himself, often doing both in the process.
- Genius chemist and extremely skilled in strategy.
- Flawless actor/impersonator
- Takes absolutely no value for money, power, anyone besides Batman, and even his own life, making him impossible to intimidate,interrogate, bargain with, or persuade.
- Incredible tolerance for physical pain, making fights with him unusually long.
Batman's Profile of The JokerEdit
"I prepared for muggers, killers, thieves. Criminals, increasingly extreme in their methods and personality. But I never imagined someone like "The Joker". There is no information on him in any criminal database. As far as records go, it's as if he stepped out of thin air. He appears to be a highly resourceful psychopath with a sadistic intelligence, who delights in causing chaos, destruction and human suffering. Skilled with explosives and firearms. He displays personality traits consistent with criminal insanity, though his mental instability did not hinder his ability to infiltrate and take over Black Mask's criminal organization. His capacity for wanton destruction makes him a threat to the entire city. He must be stopped."
Behind the ScenesEdit
In Batman: Arkham City and Batman: Arkham Asylum, Joker is voiced by Mark Hamill.
In Batman: Arkham Origins, Joker is voiced by Troy Baker.
In the first Catwoman mission, a portrait can be found with the inscription: "Cain & Abel - The Duality of Man". This is a reference to Two-Face and to the end of the game where Cain and Abel's pose is similar to how Batman was carrying the dead Joker. This also may be a resemblance to Adam and Eve's sons, Cain and Abel.
When unlocked, concept art for "The Death of the Joker" shows Batman carrying the Joker's body, strongly resembling the iconic scene of Batman holding Jason Todd's body in "A Death In The Family."
Batman: Arkham AsylumEdit
- "Welcome to the Madhouse, Batman. I set a trap and you sprang it gloriously!"
- [While talking to Harley Quinn] "Oh, you little minx, I could never stay mad at you."
- "What's up, doc? Need to take my temperature? I'd be happy to drop my pants."
- "I like you boys. What you lack in brains, you make up in heart. Oh, and speaking of heart… bring me Batman's." [laughs]
- [Talking to Scarface] "Why didn't you stop Batman?" [switches to Scarface] "Me?! It was your plan, you goofy clown!" [switches back to himself]"I'm sending you back to the Ventriloquist where you belong!" [throws Scarface on the ground]
- [After first encountering Killer Croc] "That reminds me, I really need to get me some new shoes."
- "Ladies and murderers! Welcome to the big fight. Batman, you're going down!"
- "The night is young, Bats. I still have a trick or two up my sleeve. I mean, dont you think it's a little bit funny how a fire at Blackgate caused hundreds of my crew to be moved here?"
- "I can take it. I can take anything you throw at me Bats! You can't beat me I'm actually going to win. Ready for the next round?"
- "Over? Why, my dear delusional Dark Knight, it hasn't even begun!"
- "Joker here! I'm in control of Arkham Island, and you can all consider it out of balance!"
- "If I see any lawmen, vigilantes, or do-gooders in tights coming this way, I'll start detonating random bombs around the city."
- "Note to self: Need stronger test subjects."
- "Oh it's my favorite show. I'm Warden Idiot, you'll never escape!" (Pulls funny face while speaking.)
- "I don't want to escape, I'm having way too much fun! I have you to keep a smile on my face!"
- "Plans, plans, plans. They always have their plans. But the problem is, when you take an insane person to the asylum, you're just taking him home. The very place he knows best."
- "Having a little trouble up there?"
- "You had to spoil everything, didn't you? Beating up Bane, feeding Scarecrow to Croc, slapping around my Harley, MY hobby by the way, and ruining all my lovely Venom plants!"
- "Show time Batman."
- [Over the P.A System, about Batman] "Remember guys, he may look like an idiot and talk like an idiot, but don't let that fool you, he really is an idiot."
- "Whee! Great night for a party!"
- [Talking to Harley] "Honey, I'm home!"
- "Women! You give 'em presents, experimental chemicals, and nice costumes and they still turn on you."
- "Can you smell the excitement in the air? No? Hmm, musta been one of the guards then."
- "Tick-tock-tick-tock. Is that a crocodile I hear?"
- "I'd love to stay and chat, but I've got a party to organize. I've got guests flying in from all over Arkham! You'll see!"
- "What did you sneak in, Bats? You can tell me. Batarangs? Batclaws? Batsnacks?"
- "Paging Dr. Howard, Dr. Fine, Dr. Howard."
- "Tell me, Bats. What are you really scared of? Failing to save this cesspool of a city? Not finding the Commissioner in time? Me, in a thong?!" [laughs]
- "Joker here! I'd just like to remind all our inmates that here in Joker Asylum we only abide by one rule! Punishment for breaking that rule is death. No buts, ifs or ands! But you want to know what's the best thing about this rule? It's a secret! Ha ha!"
- "Five... Four... Three... Two... One... BOOM! Just kidding!" [Begins laughing hysterically]
- "Oh! You're ruining my big night! All those months of planning down the crapper! I just wanted to bring down your grim facade, and for once let you see the world as I see it, giggling in a corner and bleeding! But you've denied me even that! I have nothing left to live for." [injects himself with Titan]
- "You may want to do a quick head count."
- "Hide in the shadows, Bats. We're coming for you!"
- "Let's see if you've still got the moves, Bats!"
- "We'll hunt you down, Bats."
- "My crew is searching Arkham Asylum for you, Batman. I won't stop till you're dead! Or they are."
- "Good evening, Gotham! And welcome to the main event."
- "I, Joker, am now in control of Arkham Island. Medical is just one part of my new empire. Anyone who disagrees with this should speak to one of my many representatives guarding you from the evil Batman."
- "If any member of Old Arkham wants to take up our special introductory offer of free cosmetic surgery, raise your hand now. One of my representatives will move you to the front of the line."
- "Don't worry, boys. If Batman actually makes it as far as Medical, you won't be hurt. Well, you may, but smile, you're just seconds away from medical care."
- "That's what I like to see, boys. Not so scared of the big bad Bat."
- "I want the entire Medical building secure. No one in or out. Do you understand?"
- "Batman's been busy. Haven't you noticed that someone's missing down there?"
- "He's taken one of you out. And not in a nice first date kind of way."
- "He's taken out two of you. Find him."
- "Have you checked the time sheets? I'm sure there were more of you at the beginning of the day."
- "You can do it, buddy! Let me put it this way, you'd better do it!"
- "Hey. Don't be scared. He's just a little Bat. You can take him. Probably. Well, between you and me, it's statistically unlikely, but you never know."
- [Nervous henchmen] "Is anyone feeling a little stressed down there? Your heart racing? Well, get a grip and stop the Bat or I'll fix your blood pressure. Permanently."
- "Hey, Bats. Go easy on him! Oh hell, what do I care? Do your worst."
- "Note to self. Need to order more henchmen. Good ones this time!"
- "Come on, boys. He's just one man. One man dressed like a lunatic and armed to the teeth. Go get him!"
Complete Challenge MapEdit
- "What? You... oh, Bats.. I really am going to have to hunt you down and kill you one of these days!"
- "So you won, big deal. I've got much bigger plans for you."
- "Yawn-a-roony. We both know you eat punks for breakfast. I've got some real surprises waiting for you."
- "Nice moves, Bats. Thanks for showing me them."
- "So, you win again. It's a shame that while you've been fighting, I've had everyone you love brutally murdered. Only joking!"
- "Don't get too cocky, Batman. I'll get you next time."
Visitor Center MessagesEdit
- "Come in, sit down, take off your mask."
- "So Bats, I was thinking. You really could use a friend in here. Someone to talk to, share secrets with. Shall we start with the big one? Who is that behind the mask? Why do you feel the need to go out into the world and fight people like me? Do you really think you can win? We'll see."
- "You're late for your appointment. Very rude. Well, seeing as you're here now, we might get started. Tell me about your childhood. Anything stand out? Is that fear I see? Too painful? We'll come back to it later, then. So, how about Baney Boy, then? Bet you were shocked to see him, weren't you? Personally I was hoping he'd fold you up like a piece of paper and let me stamp you like crazy, but even I don't get everything I want. So what was he doing here? Oh, questions, questions, questions."
- "Sit down, I suppose I can squeeze you in."
- "I've been comparing notes with Doctor Crane. He seems a little worried about your progress. According to his notes, you should have come over to our side by now. What is it that keeps you going? Doesn't it ever get boring?"
- "I am afraid that I cannot attend your appointment today. Doctor Quinzel has kindly to sit in."
- "Let's talk about your employee relations, Bats. Harley disappointed me and now she's out of the picture. Gone. Forgotten. Dead to me. You get the idea. What's it like in your organization? Do you punish your hired help when they fail? Or is that saucy outfit you make him wear punishment enough?"
- "Patient continues to show bizarre and irrational tendencies. On continued observation, it is clear that he believes he can in some way influence the inevitable destruction of the city. Tests prove what can only be described as a buried messiah complex. I fear he is untreatable."
- "I once went to a psychiatrist 'Doc', I said, 'Every time I get into bed, I think there's someone under it, I get under the bed, I think there's somebody on top of it'! I was going crazy. So I cured myself. I cut the legs off my bed. And then the doctor. Slept fine ever since."
Batman: Arkham CityEdit
- "We're coming to the end, aren't we?"
- "Nice of you to say, but you of all people should know there's plenty wrong with me."
- "You left me to die."
- "No one's who you think they are my dear. Why spoil the fun?"
- "Surprise! You fell for the ol' fake Joker gag, Batman."
- "Think of it as a running gag."
- "Is someone feeling a little down? Well, cheer up, Bats; it won't kill ya....Oops!
- "Oh, come on! There's always something to learn. Let's start with 'Getting Your Ass Kicked 101'."
- "Twinkle, twinkle, little bat. Watch me kill your favorite cat!"
- "Well, look who it is. I haven't seen you for... how long as it been? Let's see, there was an asylum, some monsters, and oh, that's right! You left me to die. Now you probably don't remember it that way, but who cares? You just need to worry about the bombs. Hurry up, now. Clock's ticking. 5! ... 4! ... 3! ... 2! ... 1! See you soon, Bats. ... What are you waiting for? We both know how this is going to turn out: you're going to come and find me. You can't stop yourself, can you? Sometimes I wonder if all this would just end with one of us looking down at the other's corpse, trying to work out what to do next? The only question is, whose body will it be? I know who I'm rooting for! [giggles] What about you? [laughs madly] Now, get out of there now, or you'll ruin everything!!!"
- "That is actually pretty funny." - Joker's final words.
- "So how do you keep a secret from the World's Greatest Detective? Well, do you know? You stick it right in front of him, right under his long pointy nose, and wait."
- [Patient Interview Tape Five] "So here's the thing. If you want to make sure that no one else finds out about your past, you should stop poking your nose into mine."
- [Patient Interview Tape Four] "I have good and bad days, but I do try to start each one with a smile."
- "Let's make this quick, boys. I've got an important operation that I'm just dying to have done."
- "You guys are like family to me. And you know how much pain I went through killing my family."
- "Are you guys OK? It's just Batman. He's probably not ever really killed anyone. Still, you know when he plans on starting, do you?"
- "Do I have to do everything myself around here? All I asked was that you stopped the stupid Batman. I managed to get a syringe of my blood in his neck for God's sake, and I'm half-dead. What's your excuse?" (coughs)
- "Do you really think you can just sneak through here with my delicious cure, Bats? I mean, I'm sure you can, but I know you too well, now don't I? After all, we both know you won't be able to resist crackin' a few skulls on the way through."
- "Did I ever tell you about the day I found out I was sick? No? I remember it clearly. It was that night when I first met Harley."
- "Hello? Henchmen? Can you hear me? Where are my guns? They are very important if my plan is to... Oh, are you still down there, Bats? Pity."
- "I can't believe you let him stop you! What is it? Not enough secret weapons from old Hugo?"
- "Well, that's just great. Here I am on my deathbed and you miserable fools can't even stop some idiot dressed up like a bat. I needed those guns. Now how am I going to...oops. Sorry, Bats, I nearly gave it away there, didn't I?"
- "Why do you keep doing this to me? It's like you idiots spend every single day day thinking up ways to leave me bitterly disappointed. Harley, when you get to the GCPD, kill a couple of 'em for me, will you, dear."
- "If any of you are still conscious, get back to base now."
- "Well, what do you know? You did it. You took 'em all out. I should be sad, I suppose, but the truth is, I'm happy. Happier than I've been in years. How about you?"
- This is the big opening thight, Batman. What's keeping you? Get your cute little ass to the movie theatre. NOW!"
- "Helloooo! Batman! You can hear me, right? It's just, you don't seem to be coming to the movie theatre and I'd hate for you to read the spoilers on the internet again."
- "Where are you, Batman?"
- "Well, this is just rude, Batman! I've laid on all this entertainment at the movie theatre and you can even be bothered turning up."
- "Where are you, Batman? I've got your premiere ticket right here in my pocket. It's right here, next to the gaffer tape and the pliers."
- "Why are you taking so long, Batman? Oh, hold on, I get it. You want me to off this annoying woman, right? I mean, she does go on a bit with all that I am the great blah, blah, mystical mumbo jumbo. I tell you what. I'll do it. But you owe me, OK?"
- "I'll see you soon! BYEEEE!"
- "Confusing, isn't it? I know I'd want to know just what the hell is going on if I were you. Let's just say in times like these, it's important to keep up [coughs] appearances. But first, if you would be so kind... Hand. Over. My. Cure."
- (Spoilers) "Ladies and Gentlemen, for one night only, standing in for yours truly, ha, and doing a damn fine job of it, I bring you... CLAYFACE!"
Challenge Maps Edit
- "Welcome to Joker's House of Fun!"
- "Let's see what's happening tonight in Joker's Fun House!"
- "Now, who's in the soon-to-be-dead corner tonight?"
- "Who's brave enough to come here and pick a fight?"
- "Shall we see who's come here to fight tonight?"
- "It's the Bat himself! Give him a big hand!"
- "Well, what do you know? It's the caped crusader himself!"
- "It's the dark knight detective himself! Batman!"
- "It's Batman!"
- "As I leave and breathe, it's Catwoman!"
- "It looks like the kitty cat has come to see just how many lives she has left!"
- "It's Catwoman!"
- "Didn't I kill you already? No? Well there's always time, right? Ladies and gentlemen, put your hands together for... Robin!"
- "It's the boy wonder! Robin!"
- "It's Nightwing!"
- "Nightwing? I was hoping for the big guy, but, I guess you'll do."
- "Who are you? Just kidding! It's Nightwing!"
- "What are you trying to do down there? Put them in hospital?"
- "Someone call the hospital."
- "Does someone need a doctor down there?"
- "Keep away from the fists, boys!"
- "Try and keep away from the fists!"
- "Big deal! Anyone could do that!"
- "Now that one had to hurt!"
- "Ooh, that looked like it hurt!"
- "Can you feel that?"
- "There's more where that came from!"
- "Just give up!"
- "Someone's on a roll here!"
- "Now who's left all those dangerous-looking weapons there!"
- "Are you getting too much blood in your eyes?"
- "This will go so much quicker if you just stop fighting!"
- "Go easy on them!"
- You're supposed to be the ones hitting!"
- "This is not going my way!"
- "Hey! Take it easy on 'em!"
- [Ninja Assassins' entry] '"But can you deal with Ninjas?"
- "You know what this fight needs is more ninjas!"
- "It's slice and dice time."
- "Did I hear someone ask for mystical ninja assassins?"
- [Sickle's entry] "Get ready for the heavy weight champions!"
- "Look at the size of that guy! You don't stand a chance!"
- [Joker's entry] '"It's time for... me!"
- "Do you want me to be in there? Well okay then."
- "Do you want me to come in there? Well OK then."
- "Oh, you ask for this! Just remember that, when I kick your do-gooder behind."
Complete Challenge MapEdit
- "He won!? Him!? I am very disappointed, boys."
- "Not happy, boys! It's like you didn't even try to hurt him!"
- "How did he win? Did you idiots not even try to beat him!?"
- "And the winner is Catwoman. Oh, someone pass me a gun!"
- "She won? Her! How did she beat all you ugly idiots!?"
- "You let her win!? Booo!"
Predator (KO'd henchman)Edit
- "Boom! One man down. It's looking like a re-run of last time."
- "Oooh. I think I just heard someone's skull cracking against that nice hard floor. Mind the bloody puddle."
- "Is that the sound of one of your faces hitting something hard? I hope so."
- "Someone's missing in there. Is it you?"
- "Boom. And the quarterback is toast. Oh, sorry, I wasn't paying attention. Did someone just get taken out down there?"
Progress of HenchmenEdit
- "I'm just dying to see which one of you losers Batman takes out first. Let me see, eenie, meenie, miney, mo."
- "That's two down. Do you realize how much it costs training you guys? It really isn't that much."
- "Three down! Not happy, boys."
- "Two? Two? You'd fit right into old melty face's gang."
- "Only one of you left. What a shame."
- "Don't let me down, boys. If you do, I may have to drop you, too."
- "I really hope you won't let me down here, boys. But if you do, I won't be cross. I'll be dead and Harley will be really upset. And seriously, you don't want to see that."
- "He's making you idiots look like fools. That's my job!"
- "At this rate, I'll be out of idiot henchmen before the end of the night."
- "You boys have got the same helpless terrified look in your eyes as my doctor did when he told me I was sick. I said, you think that's sick? Take a look at this!"
- "Do you want me to get Abramovici down there for a motivational speech? I hear that he's got a way of hammering the point there."
- "I am very disappointed in you boys. Really, you're all dead to me now."
- "Do you need a motivational speech about now? OK. I think you are all going to die down there. And this will be the last voice you hear before you cross over to the other side. And I am very, very, very disappointed in you."
Batman: Arkham OriginsEdit
As Black Mask:
- "The Joker? Never heard of him."
- "How about you doll, know the Joker?"
- "And you sir, the name Joker ring a bell?"
- "Have you ever tried BURPING the National Anthem?"
- "Nice of you to drop in. And just in time."
- "So, what our friend Bane holds in his hand is - a heart monitor. Once he clamps it on, every beat of his vacant little heart will charge the battery - on this electric chair. And when it's fully charged - [mimicks being electrocuted, laughs]"
- [sees that Gordon has taken the bullet for Warden Joseph] "Well, that's the Christmas spirit!"
- "All aboard the Bane train!"
- "Hurry! Batman's just had his way with one of you! Now that's a spicy meat-a-ball!"
- "Well, sounds like I can cross 'hear a grown man cry' off my Christmas list. Thanks, fellas!"
- "Remember! You gave your word."
- "Do they even have manners where he comes from?"
- "You see it's a tradition in my house to open one present each on Christmas Eve. How about this one?"
- "Must I do everything myself?!"
- "Mmmm! This fruitcake is fantastic! Anyone want a piece?"
- "Oh life would be so simple if you were all I wanted. No - you're just a teeny little distraction - compared to what I've got up my sleeve."
- "Here have a laugh, on me"
- "That was just a test... but not this one."
- "Got that Mr...Cutioner?"
- "I'm the man with the money and the gun! So when I hire you to kill the Batman, you SHUT THE HELL UP AND KILL THE BATMAN!"
- "Do you have anything else to contribute... I didn't think so."
- "I'm sorry, I'm sorry, must be a bad connection. It seems you said that after I SHOT HIM , and BLEW UP A BUILDING ON HIM, THE BAT SOMEHOW SURVIVED!!"
- "You of all people should know - there's nothing so CRUEL as MEMORY. The pointy, bitey little THUNDERBOLTS. Unwanted party crashers, SCREAMERS through your synapses. Inescapable, unrelenting...not at all friendly. You can't even escape into MADNESS! And then you meet someone who changes your life. And you feel that you don't even know who you are anymore. Isn;t it funny how one encounter can CLEAVE off little pieces of your past. DEFORM your memories and persona until you rethink your whole identity - and as you realize how foolish it all is - your LAUGHTER reverberates off the walls of your own emptiness."
- "Well since I know that's IMPOSSIBLE, I'm going to let you reconcile my vision of reality, with your version of reality, and in case your pea-brain can't parse big words, I'll translate it into thug-speak for you: KILL THE BAT, OR I'LL KILL YOU!"
- "Newsflash: I'M THE ONE WHO'S TRYING TO KILL YOU!!"
- "And a partridge in a pear treeeee!!!!!"
- "Oh, Jim! Jim Jim Jim! Take a seat Jimbo! We'll fry together - like to little potato latkes!"
- "Well, I'd love to stay and celebrate your victory, but I've got stockings to stuff, mistletoe to hang - and about fifteen skyscrapers to blow up before sunrise. Ciao!"
- "Is all this for you or for me? You must know that I'm a lost cause. But there's still hopes for you. Yes. I've got great hopes for you. So c'mon, don't stop now!"
- "All this - all this rage. All directed at me, and for what? You know if you'd actually let me finish a sentence, You might learn something. You might learn that we're not so different. You might even learn something about yourself."
- "You just can't get it through your thick skull! WE BOTH EXIST, BECAUSE OF THEM!!"
- "That's why you do it, isn't it? You like the way it feels. It's what you need!"
- "Come on baby! Beat me 'til your knuckles bleed... And why quit there? You know there's only one way to stop me!"
- "How do I want this stocking stuffer delivered alive or dead?"
- "Prisoners, meet the Batman, Batman meet the prisoners, now prisoners please kill the Batman."
- "And now, the moment you've all been waiting for I present to you, the death of the Batman!"
- "Jingle bells, Batman smells, Gotham’s quite a mess! Blackgate’s mine and you’re out of time, which means you’ll soon be dead! Hahahaha!"
- "I mean, do you realize what a vile world we live in? How lonely it is to wade through all the wretch and filth on your own?"
- "Now I realize all the BATTLES, the BAD DAYS, the BRUTALITIES- it was all the hand of Fate at work."
- "I feel adrift- floating -like someone's pulled the stopper on my reality and I'm SUCKED down the drain into something new. It's all very exciting really. You wouldn't know what that feels like, I'm sure."
- "Where, oh where, has my little Bat gone, oh where, oh where can he be? His cowl, his scowl, his temper so foul, I hope that he's coming for me!"
- "T'was the night before Christmas, and not a creature was stirring. Not even a - well, a bat was stirring, but a few more blows to the head and he won't be anymore!"
Batman: Arkham Origins MultiplayerEdit
- "Well, they've rumbled our little poison brew-ha-ha funfair. Let's take them for a ride. Defend it with your lives!"
- "There's a fun-fest going on at Blackgate Prison. Time to make it ours."
- "Keep killing Bane's goons until there are none left. And watch out for those caped creeps."
- "Kill all of Bane's gang and capture the Control Points to stop them from reinforcing. Don't let Batman or Robin intimidate you, or I pull the plug on this mission."
- "Don't let the Heroes get your Captain. If they do, I might have to scrub this caper. Which won't be good news for YOU."
- "Protect the Captain. If the Heroes take him down, I might cancel the mission. Which would be BORING. And probably fatal for you. So you know_"
- "Bane's Gang has the upper hand, get it back!"
- "Well now, you're making such an impression, the Bat himself is after you. Give him my regards! But kill him."
- "We got Robin! Oh, GOODY!"
- "We've got the advantage boys, now keep it!"
- "We got majority control now. Keep it up, boys!"
- "You killed Batman? Excellent news."
- "You killed Robin? Excellent news!"
- "Bane's gang got Robin! They have reinforcements!"
- "Bane's gang got the Bat! That's bad news for us, boys!"
- "Grenade package incoming."
- "Grenade care package inbound. Because I care."
Super Villain Door Edit
- "Either me or Bane is behind that door. Better make sure it's me, eh?"
- "You did it! Fought them all off and saved my toxin! Why, I'm experiencing a ROLLERCOASTER of emotions."
Batman: Arkham Origins BlackgateEdit
- "Hello, valued guest!"
- "Do you like what I've done to the place? I'm not quite finished yet."
- "I won't even make you search, that's how gracious a host I am"
- "He's... tied up in a meeting, and tempers are running high. Getting explosive, you might say. HAHA!"
- "Is this nice!?! Do I come into your guano-filled wherever-you-live and pick a fight with you!?!"
- "Ah, Batman, now I can officially welcome you to my new winter, spring, summer and fall home!"
- "And speaking as a homeowner, I believe you qualify as a prowler on private property. And I'm within my rights to defend my property AT ALL COSTS!"
- "Okay Bats, let's get ready to RRRRRUMBA!"
- "Such a generous guard, giving me the shirt off his back."
Batman: Assault on ArkhamEdit
- "Aren't you going to even say hello?"
- "If I didn't know better, I'd say you were trying to kill me."
- "It's time for a very big bang!"
- "Women. Can't live with them, can't even kick them out of a moving car without them getting steamed."
- "And just when you were thinking of stopping me, I figure I'd invite some friends to my big blowout."
- "So, she's got herself a new guy... After everything I've done for her! Oh, we'll see about that. I'll make 5 more just like her! I'll take her skin and put someone else in it! Oh, that perfect creamy skin... Pull yourself together, man! She mocked you right to your face! Even dared to call you.. Puddin'!"
- "Oh that darling girl! She might even deserve me."
- Okay babies! Let's cook."
Game Over LinesEdit
- "Awww. Too bad. So sad!" (to Batman)
- "Oh I'm sorry! Did I kill your friend? Oops! My bad! Haha!"' (to Batman)
- "Looks like I'm gonna need to find a new playmate. Oh and we were having so much fun, too! Hahahaha!" (to Batman)
- "Ding dong! The bat is dead! Which old bat? The dumb old bat! Ding dong, the dumb old bat is dead! Hahahahaha!"'' (to Batman)
- "Aw, I gotta say. I thought you'd have more fight in you. A LOT more fight!" (to Batman)
- "Deathstroke? Hehehe...More like Death...Joke Hahahahah!" (to Deathstroke)
- "You may be the world's greatest assassin kiddo, but Joker always gets the last laugh... HAHAHAHA!" (to Deathstroke)
- "Hey! Someone help Bat-baby up off the floor!"
- "Oh, I'd like to thank my fans for their undying support, and the people of Gotham, who I will be seeing very, very soon."
- "Gotta say, I thought you'd last longer."
- "Too easy! Played you like a violin, then cut your strings. Nighty night, Bats."
- "I salute my fallen enemy!" (blows a raspberry)
- "That loser didn't stand a chance. I mean look at me!"
- "Oh, Isn't that cute? Little bat's a-sleepin. Someone finish him off."
- "Tonight, Gotham, I have defeated your dear Dark Knight. Don't be sad you're next!"
- "One down. Who's next to party with me?"
- "Who else wants to get crazy?"
- "I figured you'd have a little more fight in you. Guess I figured wrong!"
- "Oh, Bats! I really figured you'd last longer than that!"
- "It's okay to die, Bats. I'll be here to protect Gotham. I'll do a real good job!"
- "Get up, Bats! Hey, you ain't looking so good!"
- "Oh, Bats! If you only knew what I have planned! You'd just die!"
- "Aren't you supposed to be up on your feet and trying to stop me?"
- Harley tells me "Bat dies". She was right. - Glitch death scene
Steel Mill SpeechesEdit
- "Welcome, inmates. You are now taking your first, tentative steps towards a better world. A world of fun, mischief and best of all, a world where the only person you need to answer to is yours truly."
- "I know what you guys are thinking. Is it all true? Is life at Joker Enterprises everything it's rumored to be? Sadly, it is. All of it. But look on the bright side. At least you know what you're getting yourself into and I can promise you this. You'll never leave."
- "Good evening, troops. This is General J with a quick update on what's going down here in Arkham City. As you can see, I'm looking much better. In fact...oooh...I think I'm looking better than ever. Oh, I can hear you all now: "How did this happen?", "Can I get me some of that crazy cure?", "I want answers, damn it! Now!" Well, here's the thing. Answers don't give you everlasting satisfaction. Sometimes you need to brace yourself for disappointment. Now think about it. Imagine your favorite TV show. You've been through it all. The ups, the downs, the crazy coincidences, and then: Bang! They tell you what it's all about. Would you be happy? Does it make sense? How come it all ended in a church? You guys just need to know one simple thing. I'm back. Back for good. Now arm yourselves, boys, we've got a prison break to plan. No hostages. No surrender. I know. It sounds like suicide, but listen. Whatever happens...I'll be right behind you."
- "Well, what do you know? You did it. You took 'em all out. I should be sad, I suppose, but the truth is, I'm happy. Happier than I've been in years. How about you?"
- In Arkham Origins he is listed to be 6ft 1in while in City and Asylum he is 6ft, His weight is also 165lbs in Origins not 160lbs in previous games
- If you keep constantly visting the Visitor Center, you meet Joker's head in the TV. He'll talk to Batman as if Batman was visiting for a psychologal therapy appointment. See here
- When visiting the Visitor Center, after the Joker's head in the TV finished talking to you, turn the camera around and after a few seconds turn it back and notice how the Joker "mannequinn"' s arms change positions.
- As Joker hired eight assassins and impersonating Black Mask, he wanted Batman dead for throwing him in the vat of chemicals at the Ace Chemicals plant when he was the Red Hood.
- In Dr. Young's notes, Joker may have looked at it, but he only put his signature around himself only, not even Harley. Yet, there is a Joker smile on the Tweedledee and Tweedledum page, where regularly the Tweeds hire themselves out to Joker, most of the time.
- Of all the minor tweaks to his appearance, the Joker has been given a make-up based smile to make it look like he's always smiling. This was most likely inspired by Cesar Romero's portrayal of the character, sporting the same artificial smile.
- Unlike the other inmates, Joker doesn't appear to have an identifiable or decorated cell in Arkham Asylum. The only cell that could possibly be his is one found in the penitentiary, because on the wall someone has written "Welcome to my humble abode". Alternatively, he could be kept in the "Extreme Isolation" area of the Asylum, which is the one place that the player can not explore.
- In the Joker's Carnival Challenge Map, the Joker can be seen watching the fight and joins in when the player reaches a x100 hit combo.
- In Arkham Asylum, Joker would usually make a joke on how his henchmen get taken out. But in Arkham City, he is much more serious when he tells them someone is taken out. This only happens when Joker is being impersonated by Clayface, another clue to the trick.
- In Arkham Asylum, Joker appeared in the "Game Over" Lines in Zsasz's levels.
- When Joker won the VGA 2011 Rewards he was holding a file with the name Batman: Arkham World and on the back Rocksteady. when he dropped it he says, "Whoops, Spoilers".
- Joker is the first playable villain in a DLC. The following games continued the trend, with Catwoman (Arkham City), Deathstroke (Arkham Origins) and Harley Quinn (Arkham Knight).
- In both Arkham Asylum and Arkham City he is voiced by Mark Hamill but in Arkham Origins he is voiced by Troy Baker.
- In Arkham Asylum, in Scarecrow`s third encounter with Batman, Joker is playable.
- Joker is playable in an online multi-player mode and very briefly in the Story mode in Batman: Arkham Origins. Which is the second time he has been playable, the first being in Arkham Asylum.
- The Joker is currently the only playable character (not counting Bane or any henchmen in Arkham Origins multiplayer) to grant the player the ability to certainly kill their opponents, such as gouging out their eyes, shooting them point blank in the chest with a lethal revolver, blowing them sky high with deadly explosives, and, unlike the rest of the playables who simply smothers their opponent until their low air supply knocks them into unconsciousness, The Joker seems to lethally choke them and strangle them till death, which is fitting due to his sociopathic and murderous personality.
- It is revealed in Arkham Origins that most of the Joker's henchman and hired thugs were originally Mobsters in Black Mask's gang, before the Joker took over his operations. From listening to conversations between the gangsters, it can be learned that many of them are disgruntled with the way Black Mask under pays them and dispatches them for their percieved failures, preferring to work under Joker's chaotic way of doing things.
- Joker's backstory is a reference to The Killing Joke.
- Joker is the only villain to appear in a poster on his own AND with Batman for Asylum and City further showing they have a close relationship.
- The Joker has 2 different Character Trophies in each game. In Asylum there is the regular Joker and Titan Joker, City has Sick Joker and Clayface Joker, and in Origins there is Regular Joker and Red Hood Joker.
- It's not proven but according to hints, Joker's origin in Arkham may be The Killing Joke origin, in Origins he says to Harleen Quinzel "Do you realize what a vile world we live in", in his flashback he is shown being bullied by Falcone's mob into the robbery, he was a failed comedian, right before his first true defeat by Batman, Joker tries to explain that they are both freaks because of "them" (the worlds cruelty and corruption), in Asylum when Batman still goes against Joker's view of life, he gets enraged and says he wanted Batman to see the world as he saw it "Giggling in a corner and bleeding" and takes a Titan injection after saying he has nothing to live for. Meaning that like in the graphic novel, Joker's love for human suffering was created by the loss of his beloved pregnant wife.
- In Arkham Origins, during the failed comedian flashback, all of the Joker's combat moves are lifted directly from Arkham Asylum including his strutting like walk. He also has borrowed a few takedowns from Nightwing and uses Batmans beatdown
- There were hints to Jokers ruse as Black Mask in the game, Roman Sionis had almost the whole police force bought and thus wouldn't need or bother to commit crimes like bombing the GCPD, another is "Black Masks" random and chaotic assault on Blackgate and causing the riot for no valid reason, once all the inmates were free, "Black Mask" says "Tonight..we're making some changes!..some big changes" refering to Joker finally deciding to no longer tolerate the huge source of corruption in Gotham, thus eliminating people like Loeb before beginning a new life as a psychopath.
- In Arkham Asylum, the only area where the player cannot use Detective Mode is at the Visitor's center. This can be explained by the fact that if the player activated Detective Vision, they would see Joker's skeleton early on.
- In Origins, Joker's bio is the only one to be written personally by Batman.
- There are many things that make Batman and Joker perfect enemies, one of the obvious reasons is that they are both costumed freaks thanks to their "bad days". They both use fear and terror on their victims, neither of them are aware of who the other is under their personas, and both have lost the two most beloved people in their lives to a selfish act of a criminal (if the Joker's Killing Joke origin is to be believed). They are both extremely intelligent. Batman and Joker also have the same very strong view on society as cruel, broken and merciless (however Batman believes it can be fixed unlike Joker).
- His age is unknown but due to his face wrinkles and his loss of hair it can be assumed that Joker is at least around 10 years older than Batman.
- Despite being scrawny to the point of anorexia, when it comes to fighting Batman Joker can take almost twice the amount of physical pain of his thugs. This might have something to do with the chemicals flowing through his blood from his "birth", possibly eliminating his basic pain factor.
Batman: Arkham OriginsEdit
Batman: Arkham Origins BlackgateEdit
Batman: Arkham AsylumEdit
Batman: Arkham CityEdit