|Real name:||Garfield Lynns|
Base of Operations:
|Hair:||None (Formerly Brown)|
|Height:||5 ft 11 in|
|First Appearance:||Detective Comics #184 (June, 1952)|
Garfield Lynns is a pyromaniac and expert in pyrotechnics who was contracted by Black Mask to kill Batman. He began as a petty criminal but soon graduated to major crimes centering around arson, torching huge parts of Gotham in the process. But his fires soon raged out of his control, leaving him horribly scarred by one of his own blazes. His body is almost fully covered with burns, and he now wears a full-body flame-retardant suit when he's out pursuing his criminal interests between bouts of incarceration in Blackgate.
Before Arkham Origins IncidentEdit
Garfield Lynns was a pyrotechnics.
Arkham Origins IncidentEditFirefly was one of the 8 assassins hired by Black Mask to kill Batman on Christmas Eve. Lynns is seen in the video of Penguin's drone blowing up a chopper with his flame thrower. He is later seen at a meeting at the Royal Hotel with the Joker, Bane and Electrocutioner. Following the meeting, he traveled to the Gotham Pioneer's Bridge, where he takes hostages and set up bombs, threatening to detonate them if anyone but Batman moved onto the bridge.
Batman warns Gordon about the bombs, and goes into the Boiler Room. He interrogates one of Firefly's men, learning that there are four bombs on the bridge: one in the boiler room, in the bridge sub-level, and one each at the north and south end of the bridge. Batman defuses three of the four bombs and rescues the hostages before facing Firefly on the bridge. Realizing too late that he never defused the final bomb, Batman resorts to separating Firefly from the remote detonator he intended to use to blow up the bridge. With the detonator knocked out of his hand, Firefly attacked Batman directly, using his flamethrower and incendiary grenades against the Caped Crusader. In order to counterattack the flying villain, Batman used his Glue Grenades and Batarangs to stun Firefly before dragging him out of the air with the Batclaw and attacking him.
After a few rounds with Batman, Firefly managed to grab his remote detonator and tried to detonate the bombs. Unfortunately for him, the fourth bomb had been defused by the GCPD bomb squad, saving the bridge. Enraged by his failure, Firefly renewed his assault on Batman. Eventually, he had Batman surrounded in fire, but the Dark Knight grappled onto him to escape the blaze, and placed a glue grenade on one of the jet-pack propellors, throwing him and Firefly off course. Firefly and Batman crash-landed on top of the bridge, causing Firefly to lose one of the wings on the jetpack and his flamethrower. Batman punched Firefly, breaking through his lenses and revealing his scarred face before advising Lynns to get a new hobby. After destroying Firefly's remaining gadgets, Batman left him hanging upside down from the bridge for the police to collect.
Between Arkham Origins and Arkham Asylum IncidentEdit
Firefly was transferred to Arkham Asylum when Quincy Sharp had it re-opened. He escaped before Joker's takeover, and was at large.
Arkham Asylum IncidentEdit
Firefly doesn't appear in the game, except for two newspaper articles about him and his flamethrower. Scan the newspaper will solve the riddle, "Was this fire fly too hot off the press?" and will unlock his bio.
After Arkham Asylum IncidentEdit
Arkham City IncidentEdit
At some point before Bruce Wayne's incarceration, Lynns helped Black Mask escape Arkham City. While Black Mask was recaptured, Lynns is presumably still at large.
Arkham Knight IncidentEdit
Firefly is rumored to appear in Arkham Knight.
A dedicated pyromaniac, Lynns has embraced his disorder and, for much of his life, managed to positively reinforce his fire-starting tendencies and related euphoria through profits from various acts of arson. Horribly scarred by one of his own blazes (perhaps due to a euphoric fugue that left him incapable of escaping the flames?), Lynns's extreme pathology definitely borders in the suicidal. Extreme treatment would be necessary to break the cycle of rewards he has set up for himself.
Unstable, erratic individual with advanced weapory and demolition skills. Lynns is equipped with a military-grade flamethrower and custom light assembly acquired from an unacertained source. Has been alleged to steal chemical materials in bulk - aviation fuels, various chemical primers and restricted reagents that suggest a specific chemical requirement for both the flight fuels and his incinerator device. (See Forensic Attachment 3). His attached mixed source files denote extensive psychological issues.
Top level summary is that Lynns displays a total disregard for his well being at a level that would be classified as irrational. Extreme symptomatic of the degree of burns he has suffered across his entire body. Trained in pyrotechnics means that Lynns is skilled in the construction of incendiary devices, both handheld "pipebomb" scale and large-scale demolition level charges. See Federal Update and obey all instructions WRT Federal Notification Protocols.
Batman's Database ProfileEdit
Lynns has specialized knowledge of incendiary devices, yet often gets burned by the fires he's creating. What little is in his medical records suggests he does not seek treatment for the pain - it seems to invoke a pleasure response in him. This is a dangerous combination. His obsession with fire is driving him to take ever larger risks and if he is not stopped, he's going to destroy himself and potentially much of the city with him.
Dr. Penelope YoungEdit
- Thorough knowledge of flammable agents
- Extensive arsenal of fire-creating weapons
- Scarred over 90% of his body
- Sociopath with intense pyromania
- Obsessive-compulsive pyromaniac.
- Multiple instances of severe burns all over his body.
- Utilizes custom-made flamethrower, jetpack, and incendiary grenades.
He is extraordinarily adept at maintaining a cache of flammable items in his cell, despite his tendency to burn through them, pun intended.
It is rare for a pyromaniac to graduate to psychopathic behavior equal to Lynns's extreme acts of arson. And the extensive burns in his body seem to have barely affected him. He might be a good candidate for some of the more experimental firms of treatment I'm developing...
Game Over LinesEdit
- "Awww look at that. Poor little bat got his wings clipped."
- "Gotham's gonna BURN! And with you out of the way,there's no one left to stop me!"
- "Weeeelll, it looks like this is goodbye!!"
Batman: Arkham OriginsEdit
- "Scream for me!"
- "This time for Africa" - with Shakira in the popular hit.
- "You're gonna love this."
- "Gotham's gonna burn!"
- "I want to see the look on the cops' faces when I blow this bridge into Christmas future!"
- "How do you want to die? The quick... incinerating flash of an EXPLOSION? Or... a nice SLOW BURN?"
- "Don't hate me, Batman. I just want to melt your face."
- "Get 'em boys!
- "Any last words, Batman?
- "Finish 'im off!"
- "So, Batman - this is how it ends!"
- "Save some for me, boys."
- "Fully fueled and ready to melt you down!"
- "Woo! This is gonna be fun!"
- "You say lip balm, I say NAPALM!"
- "You say arsonist, I say... arsonISTE!"
- "Oooh. GOD, I'm good."
- "What's this? Bat spit?"
- "Can you feel the burn?"
- "Oh, yeah!"
- "C'mon, baby."
- "Kerosene. Know what I mean?"
- "Make. FIRE!"
- "A bat that can't fly. Too bad."
- "Who's having a blast? You are! In the face!"
- "Stop, drop, and ROCK 'N ROLL!"
- "Melting! He's MELLLTINNNNGGG!"
- "Who's in the Christmas spirit, huh!?"
- "Woo! Think I just broke a sweat!"
- Was revealed in the Unhinged comics, that he is also Black Mask's right hand man.
- Penguin put his signature on him when looking through Dr. Young's files.
- Firefly was the fifth assassin announced for Batman: Arkham Origins.
- During the fight, Firefly says his name will be mentioned along with Orr and Christensen, apparently references to real-life arsonists John Leonard Orr and Andrew Christensen.
- In Batman Arkham Asylum, Firefly's mentioned on the Night shift white board in the Surgery room, he is being treated by Dr. Thomas Elliot, A.K.A Hush.
- It is stated in Firefly's biography that his eyes are brown. However, when Batman smashes his visor, Firefly's left eye is pale blue.