|Full Name||Garfield Lynns|
|Occupation||Pyrotechnics Expert, Professional Criminal, Serial Arsonist.|
|Base of Operations||Mobile|
|Hair||None (formerly Brown)|
|Height||5' 11" (1.80 m)|
|Weight||165 lbs (75 kg)|
|Voice Actor||Crispin Freeman|
|First Appearance||Detective Comics #184 (June, 1952)|
A pyromaniac, Garfield Lynns, also known as Firefly, began as a petty criminal, but he soon graduated to major crimes as a terrorist that centered around arson by torching huge parts of Gotham City in the process. But Lynn's fires soon raged out of his control, which left him horribly scarred by one of his own blazes. Lynn's body was almost fully covered with burns, and he wore a full-body flame-retardant suit when he was out pursuing his criminal interests between bouts of incarceration at Blackgate Prison. By the time of Batman's second year, Firefly managed to earn 178 counts of arson, 52 of which resulted in various deaths, 4 counts of murder of the first degree, and 10 counts of robbery.
There were no other known events in which Firefly made solo attacks on Gotham or against Batman. He was transferred to Arkham Asylum once it reopened, where both Dr. Young and Dr. Elliot were assigned to help treat his mind and body respectively. It's likely Lynns was biding his time until a chance to resume his pyromaniac crusade presented itself.
Before Arkham Origins Incident
Garfield Lynns was a pyrotechnic who worked as an FX Artist at Panessa Studios. That career ended after the studios went bankrupt after a financial flop. The owner of the studios, Tomaso Panessa, was forced to fire Lynns to save money, but was killed by him immediately afterwards, as Lynns spit nitroglycerine into Panessa's burning cigar.
Afterwards, Lynns was employed by the military, until one of his own torching flames went out of control and caused his body to become scarred with burns, which turned him into a psychotic pyromaniac. He took the alias 'Firefly' and stole military grade weaponry and a jet pack. By that time, he also had 178 counts of arson, 52 of which resulted in death, 4 counts of murder of the first degree, and 10 counts of robbery. Firefly's profile at the GCPD also indicated that he had four counts of arson, two being on structural, and two being for other sources, and one count of theft from buildings, and that he was dangerous enough to actually require a federal update on dealing with him.
Arkham Origins Incident
After a few rounds with Batman, Firefly managed to grab his remote detonator and tried to detonate the bombs. Unfortunately for him, the fourth bomb had been defused by the GCPD Bomb Squad, which saved the bridge. Enraged by his failure, Firefly renewed his assault on Batman. Eventually, Firefly had Batman surrounded by fire, but the Dark Knight grappled onto him to escape the blaze, and placed a Glue Grenade on one of his jet pack's propellers, which threw both him and Firefly off course. Firefly and Batman both crash-landed on top of the bridge, which caused Firefly to lose one of the wings on his jet pack and his flamethrower. Batman punched Firefly, broke through his lenses, and revealed his scarred face before he advised him to get a new hobby. After he had destroyed Firefly's remaining gadgets, Batman left him hanging upside down from the bridge for the GCPD to arrest.
Between Arkham Origins and Assault on Arkham Incident
Firefly was taken to Blackgate Prison and was later transferred to Arkham Asylum when it was re-opened. It was unknown who was treating Firefly, but it was very likely Dr. Young, as she had personal notes on him.
Assault on Arkham Incident
Arkham Asylum Incident
In the Patient Observation Room, at the Medical Facility, there were two newspaper clippings about Firefly and his flamethrower. Scanning the newspaper would solve the riddle: "Was this fire fly too hot off the press?" and unlocked his biography.
Between Arkham Asylum and Arkham City Incident
Before Arkham City was built, Firefly was hired by Black Mask as his right-hand man. Lynns had helped Black Mask escape from Arkham City. While Black Mask was recaptured, Lynns still remained at large. He was recaptured and put into the mega prison.
Before Arkham Knight Incident
After the events of Protocol 10, many criminals sued City Hall for restitution and were granted release. Lynns, being one of these criminals, was released and given a large settlement. He was also given back all of his old equipment, as a term of his release.
Prior to Halloween, Lynns struck up an alliance with Chief Raymond Underhill of Station 17. In order to save the jobs of his crew, Underhill had been feeding Lynns information about empty buildings that could be burned with little consequence to keep his crew in business. This also satisfied Firefly as this helped ease his pent-up pyromania, and keep Batman or the GCPD from finding him.
Scarecrow approached Lynns with a deal, keep Batman busy burning down buildings while Crane worked on the Cloudburst device. Lynns agreed wanting to turn the city to ashes. He decided to target the fire stations because he "took their work personally".
Arkham Knight Incident
Batman first directly encountered Firefly after putting out the fire that he caused at the Bristol Fire Station. A brief chase ensued across Miagani Island. Eventually Firefly's jetpack ran out of fuel. This allowed Batman to directly attack Lynns, who managed to escape despite the damage to his equipment.
Instead of escaping Gotham, Firefly decided to continue with his assignment. Batman later crossed paths with Firefly at the Cauldron Fire Station. Batman chased the psychotic arsonist across Bleake Island in a second attempt to capture him. Again, Firefly's jetpack ran out of fuel, allowing Batman to attack him. Firefly was able escape yet again.Despite having been beaten twice, Firefly could not help but burn down the final fire station, Otisburg Fire Station, located on Founders' Island. Batman found the building on fire and confronted the arsonist once more. After Firefly's jetpack malfunctioned again, Batman was able to final take down the madman. He then commandeered Firefly's jetpack and it carried them both to the GCPD Lockup, where Lynns remained incarcerated for the remainder of the night; the main circuit was torn out of the jetpack to prevent any ideas about stealing it and escaping. Ironically, he was the cellmate of his former partner, Chief Underhill.
Firefly then spent the rest of the night declaring his love for fire, mocking Two-Face, Deathstroke, Riddler, Deacon Blackfire and Azrael. He made no attempt to talk to Penguin, Underhill, Scarecrow, Stagg, or Pyg.
After Arkham Knight Incident
Firefly was presumably prosecuted and sentenced on three counts of arson and one count of aiding and abetting a known felon.
Firefly was first introduced as a mercenary driven by money, so much that he was prepared to destroy an entire bridge of innocent hostages as to force Batman out of hiding. Though pyromaniac, Firefly displayed more interest in money however he admits to Batman that he does "stare at flames for hours", normal obsessive personality traits of people who have pyromania. Firefly also has a habit of gloating and mocking his opponents, even during battles a trait which was shown upon Gotham's Pioneer Bridge.
Nearly 10 years after their encounter, when Gotham City was abandoned because of Scarecrow's terrorist threat, Firefly had no incentive as to burn down the buildings he did, unlike in Arkham Origins where he nearly destroyed a bridge for 50,000,000, he simply did it because he enjoyed it. Firefly is also obsessively vengeful and admits to Batman that him attacking him was "payback for leaving [him] on that bridge." He has also shown to hate anything that may underwhelm, silence or destroy fire and it was not coincidental that he had 30 firemen kidnapped and nearly killed.
As a mercenary for hire, Firefly displays no one-sided loyalties as long as he gets paid. The only thing he shows genuine respect towards is fire. While in Arkham Origins he used pyrotechnics as a weapon, in Arkham Knight his obsession became more intense, he has described it as "man's one and only triumph", claiming it to be purifying. It's implied he burns himself because he states "pain is purifying", a possible reference to Firefly's own third-degree burns which he has presumably begun to see as a rite of some kind. This makes it entirely possible that he doesn't simply burn buildings and people for entertain to his own sadistic pyromania but to make everyone else "pure" through flames the same way Firefly was. He has also become more prophetic and unstable, almost seeing it as the nature of all things to burn and once he even says while locked at GCPD that fire was nature's way of clearing the path, a further testament on how he's begun to see fire as purifying. He is a compulsive arsonist as revealed when being defeated he screams "Gotham must burn". Firefly sees fire as being something more powerful than himself which he admits in captivity.
Real Name: Garfield Lynns
Unstable, erratic individual with advanced weaponry and demolition skills. Garfield Lynns is equipped with a military–grade flamethrower and custom light assembly acquired from an unascertained source.
Has been alleged to steal chemical materials in bulk – aviation fuels, various chemical primers and restricted reagents that suggest a specific chemical requirement for both the flight fuels and his incinerator device. (See Forensic Attachment 3).
His attached mixed source files denote extensive psychological issues. Top level summary is that Lynns displays a total disregard for his well being at a level that would be classified as irrational. Extreme symptomatic of the degree of burns he has suffered across his entire body.
Trained in pyrotechnics means that Lynns is skilled in the construction of incendiary devices, both handheld "pipe bomb" scale and large-scale demolition level charges. See Federal Update and obey all instructions WRT Federal Notification Protocols.
Batman's Database Profile
Lynns has specialized knowledge of incendiary devices, yet often got burned by the fires that he was creating. What little was in his medical records, suggested that he did not seek treatment for the pain - it seemed to instead invoke a pleasure response in him. This is a dangerous combination. His obsession with fire is driving him to take ever larger risks and if he is not stopped, he's going to destroy himself and potentially much of the city with him.
Dr. Penelope Young
Psychological Profile: A dedicated pyromaniac, Lynns has embraced his disorder and, for much of his life, managed to positively reinforce his fire-starting tendencies and related euphoria through profits from various acts of arson. Horribly scarred by one of his own blazes (perhaps due to a euphoric fugue that left him incapable of escaping the flames?), Lynns's extreme pathology definitely borders in the suicidal. Extreme treatment would be necessary to break the cycle of rewards he has set up for himself.
Dr. Hugo Strange
Garfield Lynns a.k.a. Firefly
- Master Scientist : Firefly has immense knowledge in pyrotechnics and explosive engineering,which made a extremely dangerous pyromaniac compared to other criminals with pyromaniac tendencies as he could apply the scientific knowledge for arsonism.
- Master Inventor : Firefly is able to apply his scientific knowledge on fire and explosives to create a dangerous array of fire based inciendary weaponry,he could even create a customized flamethrower at the size of a rifle yet retaining the intense firepower enough to burn down entire buildings,a advanced jet pack with extraordinary propulsion and high speed flight capabilities,he also design a special flame retardant and heat insulated battlesuit to protect himself fromthe most intense flames.
- Thorough knowledge of flammable agents
- Extensive arsenal of fire-creating weapons
- Scarred over 90% of his body
- Sociopath with intense pyromania
- Obsessive-compulsive pyromaniac.
- Multiple instances of severe burns all over his body.
- Utilizes custom-made flamethrower, jet pack, and incendiary grenades.
He is extraordinarily adept at maintaining a cache of flammable items in his cell, despite his tendency to burn through them, pun intended.
It is rare for a pyromaniac to graduate to psychopathic behavior equal to Lynns' extreme acts of arson. And the extensive burns on his body seem to have barely affected him. He might be a good candidate for some of the more experimental firms of treatment I'm developing...
Batman: Arkham Origins
- "And if the cops try anything stupid, kill a few hostages."
- "Not until the Bat shows. We'll wait all night if we have to. There's $50 Million riding on this."
- "Listen up...The Bat is here. If just one of those stinking pigs sets foot on this bridge......set the timers. We'll blow them all to hell! Woohooo!"
- "Captain Gordon I told you-the ONLY person I want setting foot on this bridge is the Bat Man. Test me again...and things will not go well for officer Branden, is it?"
- "What's the status of our explosives?"
- "Good. Keep it that way. I'm going to go blow something up. See if I can get the Bat to show up already."
- "What do you want?" [to henchmen on radio]
- "That's probably because- I'm setting lots of fires! Now leave me alone!" [to henchmen on radio again]
- "Let's see you cops breach this bridge now!!! You won't even recognize it!"
- "I want to see the look on the cops' faces when I blow this bridge into Christmas future!"
- "Get 'em boys!"
- "Any last words, Batman?"
- "Finish 'im off!"
- "Save some for me, boys!"
- "So, Batman - this is how it ends!"
- "How do you want to die? The quick... incinerating flash of an EXPLOSION? Or... a nice SLOW BURN?"
- "Don't hate me, Batman. I just want to melt your face."
- "What do you think of this funeral pyre? You can thank me later."
- "Fully fueled and ready to melt you down!"
- "You're going to have to do better than that."
- "Come to the flames."
- "You're gonna love this."
- "Gotham's gonna burn!"
- "Fully fueled and ready to melt you down!"
- "Woo! This is gonna be fun!"
- "You say lip balm, I say NAPALM!"
- "You say arsonist, I say... arsonISTE!"
- "There will be FIRE!!!"
- "Oooh. GOD, I'm good."
- "What's this? Bat spit?"
- "Can you feel the burn?"
- "Oh, yeah!"
- "C'mon, baby."
- "Kerosene. Know what I mean?"
- "Make. FIRE!"
- "Aw...A bat that can't fly. Heh heh. Too bad."
- "Who's having a blast? You are! In the FACE!"
- "Stop! Drop! And ROCK 'N ROLL!"
- "Melting! He's MELLLTINNNNGGG!"
- "Who's in the Christmas spirit, huh!?"
- "Woo! Think I just broke a sweat!"
- "Me versus the Bat. Who'da thought?"
- "Wait for it..."
- "Don't make me laugh!"
- "I love this part."
- "I am gonna burn you up gooood!"
- "Whoa! HA!"
- "Make. FIRE!"
- "Getting warmer!"
- "Where you gonna hide now!?"
- "FLY, Batman! If you can!"
- "You like that!? I did!"
- "Ooh... that SMELL!"
- "Gotchoo right where I wantchoo."
- "Ha Ha HA! Momma drowned all the dummies!"
- "GET! OFFF! ME!"
- "Here's the windup..."
- "Where you gonna run?"
- "Come to me, Batman."
- "Running out of places to hide!"
- "Woooo Hooo!!!!"
- "Oh, I love this!"
- "WHOO WEE!"
- "Go on! Inhale the flames!"
- "Scream for me!"
- "BLAZE AWAY!"
- "Let's watch the fireworks!"
- "Make a wish!"
- "This is it!"
- "Look at them, Batman. The Flames. Couldn't you just watch them for hours?"
- "It just... writhes. A living thing."
- "What-what are you doing?"
- "You never give up, do you?"
- "You'll regret that."
- "Watch out for that bridge!"
Batman: Arkham Knight
- "You beat me once. But that was a long time ago."
- "I'll roast you alive!"
- "Tonight, I snuff you out!"
- "Don't be afraid, Batman, embrace the pain."
- "I'll turn you to ash!"
- "No one burns as bright as me."
- "You'll burn alive!"
- "This will not be like last time!"
- "I'll incinerate you!"
- "Let the fire burn!"
- "I can't be stopped!"
- "Tonight this stinking city will be purified by flames."
- "Scarecrow promised me Gotham, tinder for my flames."
- "Dodge THESE flames!"
- "Feel the heat!?"
- "Fire is pure, Batman. Pain is purifying."
- "This is revenge, for leaving me on that bridge, Batman."
- "Fight this fire!"
- "I'll make your skin crackle and burn."
- "You'll be cinders when I'm done."
- "You'll not extinguish me again!"
- "Let the fire surround you!"
- "No! You won't catch me!"
- "That's it Batman, keep chasing me."
- "You'll be a blackened corpse!"
- "Give up and burn!"
- "You can't stop me, Batman. Gotham will be ashes by dawn."
- "Still playing with fire, Batman?"
- "Never! Gotham burns! And you burn with it!"
- "Want some more?"
- "Head to the light!"
- "Fire consumes all!"
- "Gotham will burn!"
- "Dodge this!"
- "Crackle and burn!"
- "You're all MINE!"
- "Gotham burns tonight, and you with it."
- "Leave me to the flames, Batman. I must burn it all."
- "It's been too long, Batman!"
- "Get away!"
- "Gotham must BURN!"
- "You will burn for this! All of you!"
- "You're gonna pay for leaving me on that bridge!"
- "No! Gotham... must... burn!"
- "You will burn for this... all of you..."
- "You won't stop it Batman, the fire... the fire will consume Gotham. Her buildings... her people, they will all be reduced to ash!"
- "Wherever you lock me away, Batman, no matter how thick the prison walls, or how dark its confines, there is always a chance, a flicker, a spark, that is all I need!"
- "You think you've saved this city, Batman? It will burn. All of it will burn."
- "Gotham needs to burn, Batman. You of all people should know that. It's shrouded in darkness. I just want to bring a little light!"
- "I've seen the answer Batman, many times over. They commune with me, the flames. Have you not been transfixed by their flickering light?"
- "Fire is a gift, man's first and only triumph. We are fools who deny its power!"
- "Fire is nature's way of clearing the path, stand in its way and you will be destroyed."
- "Want me to even up that face, Mr. Attorney?!" (Two-Face)
- "That's the beauty of fire, no riddles! It's so easy to understand!" (Riddler)
- "You cannot compete with the power of conflagration!" (Azrael)
- "Let there be light, Deacon! Easy, I can do that!" (Deacon Blackfire)
- "Ever handled a flamethrower old man?!" (Deathstroke)
Game Over Lines
- "Awww look at that. Poor little bat got his wings clipped." (Arkham Origins)
- "Gotham's gonna BURN! And with you out of the way, there's no one left to stop me!" (Arkham Origins)
- "Weeeelll, it looks like this is goodbye!!" (Arkham Origins)
- "There'll be nothing but a charred stump when I'm finished with you, Batman." (Arkham Knight)
Batman: Arkham Origins
Batman: Arkham Asylum
Batman: Arkham Knight
- Firefly was revealed in the Unhinged comics, and he was also Black Mask's right-hand man.
- Penguin put his signature on Firefly when he looked through Dr. Young's files.
- During the fight, Firefly said his name would be mentioned along with Orr and Christensen, apparently references to real-life arsonists John Leonard Orr and Andrew Christensen.
- In Batman: Arkham Asylum, Firefly was mentioned on the night shift white board in the Surgery Room. He was being treated by Dr. Thomas Elliot, A.K.A Hush; it's possible that Firefly may have been considered for skin grafts or something similar.
- It was stated in Firefly's biography, that his eyes were brown. However, when Batman smashed his visor, Firefly's left eye was pale blue. This might have been caused by the chemical plant explosion explained in Knight, which left one of his eyes blind.
- During the Firefly boss fight, if you looked to the right or left, there was a package truck labelled Blaze Comics. Blaze Comics was an in-universe publisher that was owned by DC Comics character, Booster Gold.
- Firefly's outfit in Knight was much different. He retains the jetpack, flamethrower and supply vest that he had back in Origins. However, he now lacks the helmet and jacket, due to the warmer weather, though he retains the thick trousers and boots; he replaces the helmet with goggles that resemble his helmet's visor and wears a dirty white tank top, revealing much of his burns and bald head.
- Firefly's jetpack is obviously capable of achieving impressively high speeds as it is seen keeping ahead of the Batmobile (even when the afterburner is in use) and able to chase after the Batwing. If Firefly was flying at maximum speed during the events of Arkham Knight, then it would certainly explain why he runs-out of fuel so quickly.
- By Arkham Knight, his obsession with fire had grown noticeably worse.
- Firefly now constantly referred to fire as being "pure" and "cleansing", which suggested that he may have begun to worship flames, as opposed to his fairly standard pyromania in Arkham Origins.
- He appears to have a compulsive need to create fires. When he had the opportunity to escape the city, he could not resist from continuing his work.
- Firefly seems to think that fire talks to him, given that he says so and thinks that it's mankind's one and only true accomplishment.
- FIrefly also said to embrace the pain of burns, which suggested that he's masochistic.
- Firefly may have been inspired to archive much more dangerous pyrotechnics by Deathstroke, who mentioned that seeing a napalm drop at night is the most beautiful thing he's seen.