|Full Name||Garfield Lynns|
|Occupation||Pyrotechnics Expert, Professional Criminal, Serial Arsonist.|
|Base of Operations||Mobile|
|Hair||None (formerly Brown)|
|Height||5 ft 11 in (1.80m)|
|Voice Actor||Crispin Freeman|
|First Appearance||Detective Comics #184 (June, 1952)|
A pyromaniac, Garfield Lynns, also known as Firefly, began as a petty criminal, but soon graduated to major crimes as a terrorist that centered around arson by torching huge parts of Gotham City in the process. But his fires soon raged out of his control, which left him horribly scarred by one of his own blazes. His body was almost fully covered with burns, and he wore a full-body flame-retardant suit when he was out pursuing his criminal interests between bouts of incarceration at Blackgate Prison. By the time of Batman's second year, Firefly had managed to earn 178 counts of arson, 52 of which resulted in various deaths, 4 counts of murder of the first degree, and 10 counts of robbery.
Before Arkham Origins IncidentEdit
Garfield Lynns was a pyrotechnic who was employed by the military, until one of his own torching flames went out of control and caused his body to become scarred with burns, which turned him into a psychotic pyromaniac. He took the alias 'Firefly' and stole military graded weaponry and a jet pack. By this time, he also had 178 counts of arson, 52 of which resulted in death, 4 counts of murder of the first degree, and 10 counts of robbery. His profile at the GCPD also indicated that he had four counts of arson, two being on structural, and two being for other sources, and one count of theft from buildings, and that he was dangerous enough to actually require a federal update on dealing with him.
Arkham Origins IncidentEdit
Batman warned Gordon about the bombs, and went to the Boiler Room. He interrogated one of Firefly's men, and learned that there were four bombs on the bridge: one in the boiler room, in the bridge sub-level, and one each at the north and south ends of the bridge. Batman had defused three of the four bombs and rescued the hostages before he faced Firefly on the bridge. After realizing too late that he had never defused the final bomb, Batman resorted to separating Firefly from the remote detonator that he had intended to use to blow up the bridge. With the detonator knocked out of his hand, Firefly attacked Batman directly, by using his flamethrower and incendiary grenades against the Caped Crusader. In order to counterattack the flying villain, Batman used his Glue Grenades and Batarangs to stun Firefly before dragging him out of the air with the Batclaw and attacking him.
After a few rounds with Batman, Firefly managed to grab his remote detonator and tried to detonate the bombs. Unfortunately for him, the fourth bomb had been defused by the GCPD bomb squad, which saved the bridge. Enraged by his failure, Firefly renewed his assault on Batman. Eventually, he had Batman surrounded by fire, but the Dark Knight grappled onto him to escape the blaze, and placed a Glue Grenade on one of his jet pack's propellers, which threw both him and Firefly off course. Firefly and Batman both crash-landed on top of the bridge, which caused Firefly to lose one of the wings on his jet pack and his flamethrower. Batman punched Firefly, and broke through his lenses and revealed his scarred face before he advised Lynns to get a new hobby. After he had destroyed Firefly's remaining gadgets, Batman left him hanging upside down from the bridge for the GCPD to arrest.
Cold Cold Heart IncidentEdit
Firefly was locked up in Blackgate after the events of Christmas Eve.
Between Arkham Origins and Assault on Arkham IncidentEdit
Firefly was taken to Blackgate and was later transferred to Arkham Asylum when it was re-opened. It was unknown who was treating him, but it was very likely Dr. Young, as she had personal notes on him. He was perhaps still inside the asylum during the Joker's takeover, as his name was on the night shift white board in the Surgery Room (as a patient). He was going to be operated on by Dr. Elliott (A.K.A. Hush). It was more likely that he had escaped prior to the game before his surgery, and that the Arkham staff just hadn't wiped off his name yet. This made more sense, as he was not encountered at all during the game.
Assault on Arkham IncidentEdit
Road to Arkham IncidentEdit
Firefly broke out of the before the Arkham Asylum event.
Arkham Asylum IncidentEdit
There were two newspaper clippings about Firefly and his flamethrower. Scanning the newspaper would solve the riddle: "Was this fire fly too hot off the press?" and would unlock his biography.
Between Arkham Asylum and Arkham City IncidentEdit
Arkham City IncidentEdit
At some point before Bruce Wayne's incarceration, Lynns had helped Black Mask escape from Arkham City. While Black Mask was recaptured, Lynns still remained at large. He might also had been recaptured and put into the mega prison, as it was said that every criminal of Gotham City had been put into Arkham City.
Before Arkham Knight IncidentEdit
Prior to Halloween, Lynns had struck up an alliance with Chief Raymond Underhill of firehouse 17. In order to save the jobs of his crew, Underhill had been feeding Lynns information about empty buildings that could be burned with little consequence to keep his crew in business.
Arkham Knight IncidentEdit
When the firefighters of firehouse 17 stayed behind on Halloween, Lynns attacked their truck, allowing Scarecrow's army to kidnap the firefighters and hold them captive around the city. With this done, Firefly began burning down various firestations around Gotham.
Batman first directly encounters Firefly after putting out the fire that he caused at the Bristol Firehouse. A brief chase ensued across the Island, before Batman was able to directly attack Lynns, who managed to escape despite this.
Batman later crossed paths with Lynns at the Cauldron firehouse, and another brief chase followed with the same result.
After a third confrontation, Batman was able to commandeer Firefly's jetpack and carry them to the GCPD lock up, where Lynns remained incarcerated for the remainder of the night.
After Arkham Knight IncidentEdit
Real Name: Garfield Lynns
Unstable, erratic individual with advanced weaponry and demolition skills. Garfield Lynns is equipped with a military–grade flamethrower and custom light assembly acquired from an unascertained source.
Has been alleged to steal chemical materials in bulk – aviation fuels, various chemical primers and restricted reagents that suggest a specific chemical requirement for both the flight fuels and his incinerator device. (See Forensic Attachment 3).
His attached mixed source files denote extensive psychological issues. Top level summary is that Lynns displays a total disregard for his well being at a level that would be classified as irrational. Extreme symptomatic of the degree of burns he has suffered across his entire body.
Trained in pyrotechnics means that Lynns is skilled in the construction of incendiary devices, both handheld "pipe bomb" scale and large-scale demolition level charges. See Federal Update and obey all instructions WRT Federal Notification Protocols.
Batman's Database ProfileEdit
Lynns has specialized knowledge of incendiary devices, yet often got burned by the fires that he was creating. What little was in his medical records, suggested that he did not seek treatment for the pain - it seemed to instead invoke a pleasure response in him. This is a dangerous combination. His obsession with fire is driving him to take ever larger risks and if he is not stopped, he's going to destroy himself and potentially much of the city with him.
Dr. Penelope YoungEdit
Psychological Profile: A dedicated pyromaniac, Lynns has embraced his disorder and, for much of his life, managed to positively reinforce his fire-starting tendencies and related euphoria through profits from various acts of arson. Horribly scarred by one of his own blazes (perhaps due to a euphoric fugue that left him incapable of escaping the flames?), Lynns's extreme pathology definitely borders in the suicidal. Extreme treatment would be necessary to break the cycle of rewards he has set up for himself.
Dr. Hugo StrangeEdit
Garfield Lynns a.k.a. Firefly
- Thorough knowledge of flammable agents
- Extensive arsenal of fire-creating weapons
- Scarred over 90% of his body
- Sociopath with intense pyromania
- Obsessive-compulsive pyromaniac.
- Multiple instances of severe burns all over his body.
- Utilizes custom-made flamethrower, jet pack, and incendiary grenades.
He is extraordinarily adept at maintaining a cache of flammable items in his cell, despite his tendency to burn through them, pun intended.
It is rare for a pyromaniac to graduate to psychopathic behavior equal to Lynns's extreme acts of arson. And the extensive burns in his body seem to have barely affected him. He might be a good candidate for some of the more experimental firms of treatment I'm developing...
Game Over LinesEdit
- "Awww look at that. Poor little bat got his wings clipped."
- "Gotham's gonna BURN! And with you out of the way, there's no one left to stop me!"
- "Weeeelll, it looks like this is goodbye!!"
Batman: Arkham OriginsEdit
- "And if the cops try anything stupid, kill a few hostages."
- "Not until the Bat shows. We'll wait all night if we have to. There's $50 Million riding on this."
- "Listen up...The Bat is here. If just one of those stinking pigs sets foot on this bridge......set the timers. We'll blow them all to hell! Woohooo!"
- "Captain Gordon I told you-the ONLY person I want setting foot on this bridge is the Bat Man. Test me again...and things will not go well for officer Branden, is it?"
- "What's the status of our explosives?"
- "Good. Keep it that way. I'm going to go blow something up. See if I can get the Bat to show up already."
- "What do you want?" [to henchmen on radio]
- "That's probably because- I'm setting lots of fires! Now leave me alone!" [to henchmen on radio again]
- "Let's see you cops breach this bridge now!!! You won't even recognize it!"
- "I want to see the look on the cops' faces when I blow this bridge into Christmas future!"
- "Get 'em boys!"
- "Any last words, Batman?"
- "Finish 'im off!"
- "Save some for me, boys!"
- "So, Batman - this is how it ends!"
- "How do you want to die? The quick... incinerating flash of an EXPLOSION? Or... a nice SLOW BURN?"
- "Don't hate me, Batman. I just want to melt your face."
- "What do you think of this funeral pyre? You can thank me later."
- "Fully fueled and ready to melt you down!"
- "You're going to have to do better than that."
- "Come to the flames."
- "You're gonna love this."
- "Gotham's gonna burn!"
- "Fully fueled and ready to melt you down!"
- "Woo! This is gonna be fun!"
- "You say lip balm, I say NAPALM!"
- "You say arsonist, I say... arsonISTE!"
- "Oooh. GOD, I'm good."
- "What's this? Bat spit?"
- "Can you feel the burn?"
- "Oh, yeah!"
- "C'mon, baby."
- "Kerosene. Know what I mean?"
- "Make. FIRE!"
- "Aw...A bat that can't fly. Heh heh. Too bad."
- "Who's having a blast? You are! In the FACE!"
- "Stop! Drop! And ROCK 'N ROLL!"
- "Melting! He's MELLLTINNNNGGG!"
- "Who's in the Christmas spirit, huh!?"
- "Woo! Think I just broke a sweat!"
- "Me versus the Bat. Who'da thought?"
- "Wait for it..."
- "Don't make me laugh!"
- "I love this part."
- "I am gonna burn you up gooood!"
- "Whoa! HA!"
- "Make. FIRE!"
- "Getting warmer!"
- "Where you gonna hide now!?"
- "FLY, Batman! If you can!"
- "You like that!? I did!"
- "Ooh... that SMELL!"
- "Gotchoo right where I wantchoo."
- "Ha Ha HA! Momma drowned all the dummies!"
- "GET! OFFF! ME!"
- "Here's the windup..."
- "Where you gonna run?"
- "Come to me, Batman."
- "Running out of places to hide!"
- "Woooo Hooo!!!!"
- "Oh, I love this!"
- "WHOO WEE!"
- "Go on! Inhale the flames!"
- "Scream for me!"
- "BLAZE AWAY!"
- "Let's watch the fireworks!"
- "Make a wish!"
- "This is it!"
- "Look at them, Batman. The Flames. Couldn't you just watch them for hours?"
- "It just... writhes. A living thing."
- "What-what are you doing?"
- "You never give up, do you?"
- "You'll regret that."
- "Watch out for that bridge!"
Batman: Arkham KnightEdit
- It's been too long, Batman!
- You fought me once, but that was a long time ago!
Batman: Arkham OriginsEdit
Batman: Arkham AsylumEdit
Batman: Arkham KnightEdit
- Firefly was revealed in the Unhinged comics, and he was also Black Mask's right-hand man.
- Penguin put his signature on him when he looked through Dr. Young's files.
- During the fight, Firefly said his name would be mentioned along with Orr and Christensen, apparently references to real-life arsonists John Leonard Orr and Andrew Christensen.
- In Batman: Arkham Asylum, Firefly was mentioned on the night shift white board in the Surgery room, he was being treated by Dr. Thomas Elliot, A.K.A Hush.
- It was stated in Firefly's biography, that his eyes were brown. However, when Batman smashed his visor, Firefly's left eye was pale blue.
- During the Firefly boss fight, if you look to the right or left, there was a package truck labelled Blaze Comics. Blaze Comics was an in-universe publisher that was owned by DC Comics character, Booster Gold.
- Firefly's outfit in Arkham Knight is much different, having more skin exposed due to the warmer weather. This also shows that he's bald, likely due to his burns. Also his jetpack appears to be the very same one he utilized years earlier in Arkham Origins as the pack is noticeably damaged and designed exactly the same.
- In Arkham Knight, Firefly constantly refers to fire as being "pure" and "cleansing", suggesting he may have begun to worship flames religiously, as opposed to his fairly standard pyromania in Arkham Origins.