|Full Name||Joseph Blackfire|
|Base of Operations||Gotham City|
|Height||6ft 1in (1.85m)|
|Voice Actor||Marc Worden|
|First Appearance||Batman: The Cult #1|
A power-crazed charismatic conman and cult leader, Deacon Blackfire indoctrinated the homeless population to serve in his cult and aid him in his quest to control Gotham City. Blackfire claimed to be over a hundred years old. He also claimed to be a Native American shaman who was entombed alive after being found guilty of killing a tribal chief and committing heresy. Blackfire claimed the secret to his eternal youth was bathing in buckets of human blood, and he used his charm and powers of manipulation to brainwash an army of devout followers to provide victims for his sacrifices. He was the main antagonist of Gotham's Most Wanted Mission: Lamb to the Slaughter.
Joseph Blackfire was a priest who eventually owned an orphanage.
According to Jack Ryder's final research tape, Deacon Blackfire was known with the early Miagani people as well, who shot him with arrows and sealed him in a cave; one police record that Aaron Cash found that Blackfire was wanted for tax evasion and fraud, one file even dating back to the 20s.
Lamb to the Slaughter
After Batman rescued Oracle, Jack Ryder went to investigate the Lady of Gotham for his story, but he was captured by Deacon Blackfire and his followers for sacrifice. Blackfire prepared to sacrifice Ryder, but he was interrupted by Batman. Despite Blackfire's followers attempts at defeating Batman, Batman was able to grapple to the grate gate, took down Blackfire, and rescued Ryder. Blackfire was locked up in the GCPD Lockup along with the villains that Batman defeated. Blackfire's sacrificial knife and praying book appeared in the GCPD Evidence Room in a display case.
To his followers, Blackfire ornates himself as a blessed and rather devout man. He claims to care for his followers, describing them as "his children" and promising them passage to the sacred land, should they devote life, body and soul to his religious cause, viewing humanity as fickle and soon to damnation. Thus he presents himself as a Moses-like, Archaic figure, sent by God as a saviour for those who could see the light and accept his fanatical beliefs, twisted behind a charismatic facade.
Blackfire, however is a truly dangerous and insane man, completely wrapped in his beliefs that immortality exists, he would go as far to commit human sacrifices and prey on those who society reprimands such as the homeless of Gotham. Rather superciliously, Blackfire looks down on others for their alleged crimes and flouts his self-proclaimed title as preacher, as if he was the only pure one whereas he commits more crime than anyone else. Blackfire apparently preaches Pagan mythology as he paints an image of Armageddon for the sinners to rot with which carries the archetype of several Bible verses. Though he claims to be immortal, there is evidence to believe he is in fact a conman who came to believe his own lie. He is implied by Aaron Cash to be at least ninety years old.
- Immortality: He claims to be older than Gotham itself. This indicates he is several centuries old. He claims that he has survived death countless times. This indicates that he cannot die by normal means.
- Expert cult leadership skills
- Charismatic and persuasive preacher
- Skilled hand-to-hand combatant
- Survival Tactics Expert (as he has survived countless wars)
- "My dear brethren we are gathered here in honor of the one true Father."
- "He who blesseth our lives with light when we are surrounded by darkness."
- "He who moistens the parched earth with rain when we are thirsty."
- "He who slayeth the wicked and evil forces that threaten to destroy us and and keep our soul from his sweet mercy!"
- "Who dares disrupt this ritual?
- "This is scared ground heathen, you do not belong here. But God has sent you so that I may bathe in your blood too."
- "My children, the Devil comes clad in black! Slay him where he stands!"
- "Quickly, the time of sacrifice draws near!"
- "Roast him good!"
- "God sendeth his power!"
- "Heavens open and smite the demon!"
- "Lightning strike the infidel!"
- "Cowards, all of them!" (Blackfire's Cultists)
- "They lacked faith Batman. I do not. I know the truth!" (Blackfire's Cultists)
- "Now you will see the blade slice his throat and watch me bathe in immortality!" (Jack Ryder)
- "Silence child. Your cries fall like seed on stony ground." (Jack Ryder)
- "Behold caped demon!"
- "The heathen's blood shall floweth and wash the altar!" (Jack Ryder)
- "Trumpets shall sound and cleave the heavens asunder exposing his glory!"
- "Rain down upon me Lord, grant me life everlasting life!"
- "I've faced death more times than you can possibly imagine! I'll still be here when you're dead and gone, Batman. Gotham will be mine."
- "Look around you Batman. Look at what you seek to protect. Gotham is fallen. Why are you still fighting? This is over."
- "Child, these bars cannot hold me. When the time comes God will dissolve them like the hot wax of a candle and I will be free." (Batman)
- "Oh, I will. I'll pray for everyone, for all of Gotham's lost children. Especially you Batman, I'll do one special just for you!"
- "We could have done great work together, Batman. God's work! If only you would open your heart and accept His love. There is still time to save your soul."
- "We are made broken, my child. Only the Lord can heal us!" (Batman)
- "Gotham is a cesspool! A den of iniquity! Sinking under a tide of its own filth, we need the Lord's help to pull us free!" (Batman)
- "Well I'll be damned, the billionaire Bruce Wayne. You can add avarice to that ever growing list of sins." (Batman)
- "You can't keep secrets from God, he shines His light into the darkest hearts." (Batman)
- "I cannot forgive you for what you have done child, maybe God can. I'll put in a good word." (Batman)
- "From what hellish pit you emerge? (Professor Pyg)
- "Man's law is not equipped to deal with Gotham's injustices!" (Two-Face)
- "You would do well to remember, vengeance is mine sayeth the Lord!" (Azrael)
- "Cheap pyrotechnics do not scare me, child! (Firefly)
- "Come pray with me, little man! God finds beauty in us all, however deformed we are!" (Penguin)
- "It is no one but the Lord who moves in mysterious ways." (Riddler)
- "You have killed, but your tally of death is nothing compared to the millions God has consigned to the fiery pit!" (Deathstroke)
Game Over Line
- "Hallelujah! Hallelujah! Hallelujah! The wicked demon has been slain! Join me children and let us rejoice in his eternal damnation!"(Batman)