|Full Name||Eric Needham|
|Base of Operations||Gotham City|
|Weight||210 lbs (95 kg)|
|Voice Actor||Giancarlo Esposito|
|First Appearance||Detective Comics #463 (September 1976)|
Arkham Origins Incident
Black Spider was mentioned in Batman: Arkham Origins in a file folder at the Steel Mill with a red "Rejected" stamp on it, which implied that the Joker (while disguised as Black Mask) considered hiring him as one of the assassins, but decided against it.
Between Arkham Origins and Assault on Arkham Incident
Assault on Arkham Incident
The Eric Needham version of Black Spider appeared in Batman: Assault on Arkham, and was voiced by Giancarlo Esposito. He appeared as a member of the Suicide Squad. When the team was sneaking into Arkham Asylum, Black Spider killed one of the chef's who were playing poker and stole his hat to complete his disguise. Black Spider got past security and once in the kitchen, he put a bunch of utensils in a microwave, which made it explode, and caused the distraction that the Suicide Squad needed. Later on, Batman and Black Spider fought, and Batman defeated him and switched costumes as a way of joining the Suicide Squad without their knowledge. Black Spider was last seen walking weakly until the Joker (mistaking him as Batman at first) ambushed and attempted to murder him, only for Amanda Waller to do so first by triggering the detonator in his neck which killed him instantly.
Assault on Arkham
Real Name: Eric Needham
Amanda Waller Profile
- Near-Superhuman Condition: Through rigorous training & dieting regimes, Eric Needham's bodily functions at the maximum limit of human condition; meaning that his natural capabilities are near-superhuman.
- Near-Superhuman Strength: He is stronger than average humans even though his capabilities are not classified as 'superhuman'. He is strong enough to lift roughly 750 lbs. He can easily overpower most thugs & engage batman in hand-to-hand combat.
- Near-Superhuman Speed: He is faster than average humans; even though this ability is not classified as 'superhuman'. He was able to keep up with Batman's quick attacks with relative ease.
- Near-Superhuman Agility: He possess agility that is equal to Batman .
- Near-Superhuman Durability: He has the power to have denser and tougher bones/muscles than normal humans; even though this power is not classified as 'superhuman'. He is able to take hits from Batman's seemingly superhuman strength with relative ease.
- Near-Superhuman Senses: He has honed his senses to their upmost limits.
- Peak Human Stamina: His highly developed musculature generate less fatigue toxins than the musculature of most other humans, enabling him to gain greater endurance.
- Accelerated Metabolism: His naturally-accelerated metabolism heals injuries/wounds much more rapidly than normal members of the human race.
- Master Martial Artist: He is a highly skilled martial artist, being able to go toe to toe with Batman.
- Advanced Acrobat: He has displayed remarkable parkour & acrobatic abilities, all are similar to Spiders.
- Marksman: He is also an expert at guns & can even throw blades with great accuracy.
- Escape Artist: He managed to escape from his seat in the transport plane, while the others couldn't.
- Espionage Agent: Due to his work as a vigilante, he is a highly skilled interrogator, intimidator & Surveillance Specialist. He is also a highly skilled scout & spy.
- Master Strategist: He operates with extreme lethal force & quick-planned attack tactics & strategies.
- Gadgetry: He utilizes various spider-based gadgetry such as web shooters & wall crawling tech. H even has blades, explosives, guns & other devices.
Assault on Arkham
- "Who are you people?" (The Suicide Squad)
- "And why am I in uniform?"
- "I kill to keep degenerates off the streets. I won't work alongside them." (to Amanda Waller about the Suicide Squad)
- "If we don't?" (Amanda Waller)
- "She's a wild card." (Harley Quinn)
- "No." (Captain Boomerang)
- "I don't trust vermin. Honorless, rudderless, undisciplined. They'll never find your body." (Captain Boomerang)
- "A few more miles." (to the Suicide Squad)
- "I came from inside. Run it again." (to Arkham Guard about his badge)
- "Run it again." (to Arkham Guard about his badge)
- "I can't lose this job because your system is down." (to Arkham Guard about his badge)
- "Come on, you amateurs." (The Suicide Squad)
- "No problem." (Arkham Guard)
- "You're late." (Deadshot and Harley Quinn)
- "Put your back into it." (The Suicide Squad)
- "I can scale them." (to Deadshot about the Guard Towers)
- Eric Needham was a former heroin addict, and was desperate for money to buy more drugs. He robbed a liquor store and killed the owner, who turned out to be his own father.
- After he was arrested, Eric kicked the habit out of remorse, began a war on the drug trade, and thus, became the Black Spider.
- Black Spider was one of the three rejected assassins in Arkham Origins, along with Cheshire and David Cain.
- While looking at his decapitated head, Joker mockingly called Black Spider 'Denzel', clearly because he made a visual reference to American actor, Denzel Washington.
- During Assault on Arkham, while being transported to Arkham Asylum, Black Spider escaped his locked chair and held a knife to Captain Boomerang. It was unclear how he had mysteriously escaped.
- Black Spider's refusal of a hit on Batman was most likely because the hit came from a crime lord, since Black Spider made clear in Assault on Arkham that he was unwilling to work with criminals.
- Giancarlo Esposito, Black Spider's voice actor, is also known for voicing Ra's al Ghul in the film, Son of Batman.
- Like Ra's, Black Spider despised criminals and desired to eradicate them.