|Real name:||Roman Sionis|
|Professional Criminal/Crime Lord|
Base of Operations:
|Hair:||Brown (Black in Origins)|
|Height:||6ft 1in/ 1.85 meters|
|First Appearance:||Batman #386 (August 1985)|
| Nolan North (Arkham City)
Brian Bloom (Arkham Origins)
Troy Baker (Joker)
Fixated on the concept of masks, Sionis carved one from his father's black coffin and sought revenge; his ensuing battle with the Dark Knight caused his mask to be burnt into his skin, remaking him as the Black Mask. Sionis is now a feared gang leader and one of the most powerful mob bosses in Gotham, with a burning hatred of the Batman.
Gotham City business owner Roman Sionis is alleged to be one of the city’s most powerful crime lords, though no convictions have ever been made. Sionis also is a fan of torture. This shows his sadistic and cruel persona. Sionis maintains several “legitimate” businesses - many of which are believed to be fronts for illegal operations. Notable businesses in his portfolio include: Janus Cosmetics, Gotham Merchants’ Bank, and the now-defunct Sionis Steel Works. Sionis has been charged with embezzling city funds, murder, racketeering, distribution of illegal narcotics, and other offenses, but never convicted. In previous trials, witnesses for the prosecution have been known to recant, die, or disappear. Investigation is ongoing. It is also revealed that Sionis has had a pacemaker implanted in his heart. This means he can easily be victim to cardiac arrest if his heartrate gets too high.
Arkham Origins IncidentEdit
Several days before Christmas' Eve, Roman Sionis was kidnapped from his Lacey Towers safe-house by the Joker, who forced Sionis to kill his girlfriend. The Joker, disguised as Roman Sionis (the real Black Mask) hires 8 assassins to kill Batman with reward of 50M of Sionis' money. These assassins are: Killer Croc, Electrocutioner, Deathstroke, Deadshot, Bane, Shiva, Copperhead and Firefly.
During the night of Christmas Eve, Batman thought Sionis put up the bounty so he is tracking him down to put an end to this. After solving the Lacey Towers case by updating National Criminal Database, Batman made his way to the Gotham Merchant's Bank to track down the Joker who is taking Sionis hostage. In the bank, Batman encounters the Joker, who disguising as Black Mask and Sionis who is taken hostage. Sionis becomes infuriated at the Joker for stealing from him so Joker attacks him into unconsciousness and took him to Sionis' mill. Batman is forced to take down each of these assassins, hunt down the Joker, and save Black Mask. After eventually rescuing Black Mask from his former gang, Batman questions him on the Joker's whereabouts. Sionis refuses to divulge any information because he plans on murdering the Joker himself for stealing his money, his operations and killing his girlfriend. Before Batman can question him any further, Copperhead attacks, and while the Bat is distracted, Sionis escapes into the night.
Later after escaping the clutches of Batman and the Joker, Black Mask quickly moves to take back control of his empire, it is implied he personally tortured and killed several of his former henchman for betraying him to the Joker, this effectively scares many of his men back into working under him once again. Black Mask then begins putting his drugs back out onto the streets of Gotham, Batman however, is able to destroy almost all of his stashes before they can go on the market. Black Mask, furious at the Dark Knight, sets a trap for him at the old Gotham Church, using his last container of drugs as bait. After Batman destroys the container, Black Mask appears, flanked by several of his men, he then states he plans on making it his personal mission to capture and torture Batman to death for his meddling in his business. A large brawl then ensues with Batman besting all of Sionis' men before personally beating the crime lord into submission. Batman then leaves a subdued Black Mask to be taken into custody by the GCPD, he is soon after imprisoned within Blackgate.
Arkham Origins Blackgate IncidentEdit
Three months later, an incident at Blackgate prison allows The Joker, Black Mask, and Penguin to take over the prison. Black Mask heads up the Industrial Part of the prison. He plans to overload the generators until he killed the engineer and cause the prison to self-destruct, wiping out all of his rivals, but Batman arrives and takes down Black Mask, foiling his plan.
In the aftermath, Black Mask awakens and avoids capture from several Blackgate personnel. However, he is caught in an explosion, which implies that this may be the point where his mask is burnt onto his face.
Road to Arkham Incident Edit
When Arkham Asylum was re-opened, Black Mask was transferred there. He some how got out before Joker's takeover.
Arkham Asylum Incident Edit
Although he doesn't appear in Arkham Asylum, except a wooden mask is mounted on the wall of Penelope Young's office.
After Arkham Asylum Incident Edit
Arkham City Incident Edit
Black Mask is the first inmate to have ever escaped Arkham City (others include Hush, the beautiful butterfly and Calendar Man, though it hasn't been revealed whether they really escaped from the mega-prison). Using explosives stolen from the Penguin, he waited until the TYGER shift change, blasted his way through the containment wall, and went on the run in Gotham City. Furious, Hugo Strange ordered his TYGER operatives onto the streets, to focus all their attention on finding Black Mask, who was finally recaptured after a violent siege at the meatpacking plant he owned. Black Mask appears when you are playing as Bruce Wayne at the beginning of the game. He is resisting being sent to the city. He is protecting himself with a chair and if you stay to watch one of the guards hits him and the rest start to maul him too.
After Arkham City IncidentEdit
After Joker's supposed death, Robin goes to find Roman Sionis, as he becomes a new gang leader in Arkham City. He goes through Black Mask's hideout, where he finds out that some of the Penguin's thugs joined him, and that Riddler is also helping Black Mask. Lastly, he goes into the Freight Train and beats through some of the Joker's thugs, that have also joined him. After getting through three cars, Robin comes to end to find a few thugs, Mister Hammer, and Black Mask blocking the control box. After beating the thugs and Mister Hammer, he leaves Black Mask for last, apprehends him, and destroys the control box that's moving the train.
Arkham Knight IncidentEdit
One year after the events of Arkham City, Black Mask and Batman's most toughest criminals work with Scarecrow to destroy Batman.
Black Mask appears in 2 DLC challenge maps that come with the Robin bundle pack, which are Black Mask (predator), and Freight Train (combat). in the campaign, Black Mask is chased out of a meatlocker by one of the four playable characters and flees onto a moving train that is smuggling weapons into Arkham City. The player fights their way through groups of thugs and engages in hand to hand combat with Black Mask, along with a group of thugs and an Abramovici twin (Joker's, to be specific). After knocking all of the opponents unconscious, the player attacks the control box and destroys it, thus stopping the train and ending that shipment of weapons into Arkham City. He also tried escaping for a second time.
Real Name: Roman Sionis
- Obsessed with masks
- Harbors a hatred of Batman and Bruce Wayne
- Face resembles a black skull
- Feared and powerful mob boss
- Skilled marksman, known for his double handguns.
- Hand-to-Hand Combat (Advanced)
- Business Management
Gotham City business owner Roman Sionis is alleged to be one of the city’s most powerful crime lords, though no convictions have ever been made. Sionis maintains several “legitimate” businesses - many of which are believed to be fronts for illegal operations. Notable businesses in his portfolio include: Janus Cosmetics, Gotham Merchants’ Bank, and the now-defunct Sionis Steel Works. Sionis has been charged with embezzling city funds, murder, racketeering, distribution of illegal narcotics, and other offenses, but never convicted. In previous trials, witnesses for the prosecution have been known to recant, die, or disappear. Investigation is ongoing. See District Attorney Harvey Dent for more details.
Dr. Penelope YoungEdit
CANDIDATE FOR ADVANCE RESEARCH?
Psychological Profile: A mild psychopath, Sionis has narcissistic tendencies but the main malady he suffers from is resentful obsession with, of all people, billionaire Bruce Wayne. Sionis is fixated on Wayne possibly due to childhood traumas that he has projected onto the idle playboy. It is difficult to say whether the two actually knew each other as children, or if this is Sionis's invention. However, it is Sionis's criminal activities, and the role playing that resulted in the black skull-like mask accidentally burnt into his skin, that resulted in his committal to Arkham.
I'd question whether Sionis is actually insane, if not for the choice of his obsession; I can't imagine being interested in (much less stalking) such a pointless personage as Bruce Wayne.
Dr. Hugo StrangeEdit
Batman's Database ProfileEdit
- "Kill him and I'll pay you whatever you want, make him suffer and I'll double it."
- "You think that'll make me talk - after what he's put me through? The torture... Turned my men on me. Stole from me. Murdered my woman. He's my kill, not yours."
- "Couple a'freaks. You two deserve each other."
- "You'll die badly, Batman. Making that happen is my personal mission in life."
- "I'm gonna dedicate every waking minute to tracking you down, and taking you out."
- "You sunava bitch! You think you can steal from me and get away with it? Your a Dead man! DEAD!"
- "You wouldn't..."
- "Go to hell."
- "Get me out'a this thing."
- "You waitin' for somethin?"
- "No one arrests Black Mask. No one!"
- "Get me Strange!"
- "You'll die for this!"
Game Over LinesEdit
- "I was hoping you'd at least live long enough to see what I've got planned for this place" (to Batman)
- "With you out of the way, Gotham's mine for the taking. And sooner than I thought!" (to Batman)
- "That's it?! All this build up and he falls over like he's made of sticks?! What an anti-climatic ending!" (to Batman)
- "What?! The party's already over?! But I was just getting warmed up!" (to Batman)
- "I didn't think it would be this easy! Oh well, live and Learn!" (to Batman)
- "Unkillable?...Not quite!" (to Deathstroke)
- "Not your best day Deathstroke...now hurry up and die!" (to Deathstroke)
- "What? Did you think you could beat me? Me?!"
- "First you fall, then Gotham."
- "No one goes up against the Black Mask and lives."
- While Black Mask does not appear in Batman: Arkham Asylum, his original wooden mask is mounted on the wall of Dr. Young’s office in the old Arkham Mansion. A newspaper clipping about Roman Sionis before he became Black Mask also appears on a bathroom cabinet in the Patient Observation room of Arkham Asylum's Medical Facility. Black Mask is referenced in the game in many of the Penitentiary cells, for example, in the cells is a drawing about a little boy and a house on fire, and then the devil rises up and takes the remains, and the boy is happy. This could also be a vague reference to Thomas Elliot, who wanted to kill his parents for the fortune.
- Black Mask appears in Arkham City as a prisoner right outside the room Bruce Wayne was held in, He is holding a chair fighting off 2-3 TYGER Guards, one of them tazes him and he falls to the ground while they continue to beat and taze him.
- In Arkham City, you fight Black Mask on the DLC Map Freight Train.
- The Black Mask's mask seen in Penny Young's Office in Arkham Asylum is different from the one seen in Arkham Origins.
- Black Mask's appearance in Batman: Arkham Origins seems to be based on his appearance in The Batman TV show.
- The GameStop pre-order bonus will include two Black Mask themed challenge maps for Batman: Arkham Origins.
- Despite having brown hair in Batman: Arkham City, he has black hair in Batman: Arkham Origins. Black Mask could've dyed his hair, which is very unlikely, or this could've just been a continuity error.
- His Character Bio in Arkham Origins still states that his hair is brown.
- When you go back to the church to check on Black Mask after his Most Wanted mission, he is not there anymore. He must've been taken to Blackgate or found a way to escape.