|Full Name||Michael Lane|
|Occupation||Police Officer (formerly)
|Base of Operations||Gotham City|
|Affiliations||Aaron Cash (formerly)
The Order of St. Dumas
|Height||6ft 2in (1.88m)|
|Voice Actor||Khary Payton|
|First Appearance||Batman #672 (February 2008)|
Michael Lane devoted his life, body and soul to the Order of St Dumas and became the Orders crusader and "the instrument of God" Azrael unaware that the Order have stolen his free will.
In Arkham City Azreal spoke very cryptically when confronted by Batman, belaying prophecies and "the gates of Hell." In Arkham Knight however Lane did this less and saw that Gotham would need a new Batman when Wayne was finished, Azrael completed all of Batmans challenges so that he would become Gothams new protector however this appeared to be false as Lane was only there to earn the Bats trust and then kill him.
If the player would pick the Kill Batman option then Azrael would try to strike him down only to be countered, knocked out and taken to the GCPD where he delusionally proclaims that he is Gothams new saviour and the Order has more right than Batman ever has. In the Break the Sword option Azrael shatters the sword, leaves the Clock Tower and makes peace with Batman before saying the Order of St Dumas would pay for what they did to him showing that there is still some of Lane in there.
Before Arkham City Incident Edit
At some point, Michael Lane was a police officer, working before becoming the Azrael shown in Arkham City. It was possible that Azrael was watching Batman fight crime from the beginning of his crime fighting career until the events of Arkham City, as Azrael said that he had been watching him for a long time.
Arkham City IncidentEdit
When Bruce Wayne was thrown into Arkham City, Azrael watched him outside the gate and disappeared from a building. Batman encountered Azrael many times throughout his "incarceration" in Arkham City, where he gave cryptic statements before disappearing and leaving ambiguous signs. Once all the symbols are collected, they formed a map which lead Batman to the Gotham Cathedral. At the church, Azrael revealed that he had been sent to observe Batman, and believed he was a warrior that was foretold by an ancient prophecy. He revealed that he was sent by the Order of St. Dumas to deliver a prophecy to Batman. He told how the city would burn, and that Batman was the "warrior" who would save Gotham City, but would fall in the process. Batman remained skeptical of Azrael's prophecy and claimed he did not believe in fairy tales, but Azrael held firm in his belief, and told Batman they would meet again as he departed Arkham City.
After Arkham City IncidentEdit
After Batman had saved Cash and the Medical Team from Riddler, a large amount of inmates attacked the church looking for revenge against Quincy Sharp. When the inmates broke down the doors, Azrael came to their rescue, and made himself known to the Medical Team first. It was later revealed that Cash knew Azrael from back when he was a rookie. Cash and his partner were investigating a lead to the killings in the Order of St. Dumas, and when they arrived, they had found Azrael armed with a sword and surrounded by scared children. Cash's partner, thinking Azrael was the killer, told him to step back. When Azrael did not comply, he was shot. Cash's partner then told Cash to get the kids out of the building. While he escorted the kids out, Cash forgot a child and when he came back for her, he saw his partner burn Azrael’s body. After the incident, it was revealed that Azrael was not the killer and that the real killer had been found dead from a stab wound. Cash's partner then resigned from the police. Meanwhile, the inmates finally broke through the first door only to find the second door that was protected by a blast door. The inmates then called on Bane who they convinced that there was Titan in the building. The guards tried to fight Bane off, but were unable to stop him. Azrael then arrived to their rescue, took out some inmates, and then confronted Bane himself who threw Azrael aside. Cash then jumped to Azrael’s defense and even scratched Bane in the face. Bane, in anger, nearly killed Cash but Azrael jumped to his rescue and defeated Bane by cutting off his Venom tank. Azrael then called Cash 'rookie', a nickname his partner Dick Grayson used to call him. After defeating and capturing Bane, Azrael and the rest of the medical staff fought off the remaining inmates who fled in terror. Azrael then left with Vicki Vale and said how Cash had some interesting friendships.
Before Arkham Knight IncidentEdit
Arkham Knight IncidentEdit
Nine months after Batman stopped Protocol Ten and saved Gotham from possible destruction, the prophecy of the Order of St. Dumas had become reality. The dark days were here and the Scarecrow returned to have his revenge along with the Dark Knight's worst enemies to finish him once and for all and to see him burn. Azrael sees that his prophecy has come true, and signals Batman to approach him. He then tells Batman that he deserves to be his rightful successor as protector of Gotham, if ever Batman should perish, and informs him that he will follow Batman's code not to kill, handing his sword in the process. Not knowing what the future holds for him, Batman decides to test him by letting him fight several simulations of enemies. Batman secretly uses these to study Azrael, whose fighting style has been eerily similar to that of Batman's by letting Alfred study the simulations.
Azrael eventually proves himself worthy to Batman, however, the latter opts to wait until he says so, which prompts Azrael to tell him that Gotham needs him now. As Azrael departed, Alfred informed Batman that he had discovered Azrael's identity as Michael Lane, as well as an irregularity in his physiology. At the Batcave in Gotham's Clock Tower, Batman finds a microprocessor surgically implanted in Azrael's brain, attached to the temporal lobe. Upon viewing Azrael's memories, Batman recognizes the Order's symbols from Arkham City and suspects that his memories were tampered with, used to modify his behaviour unconsciously. Using the Batcomputer to find all the symbols embedded in the memories, Batman discovers a subliminal message revealing that Azrael's true mission was to gain Batman's trust and kill him, for Batman has kept him from being the rightful protector of Gotham, which the Order believes needs to be willing and relentless. Azrael secretly infiltrates the Clock Tower, where he confronts Batman, who tells him that the Order has been manipulating him. Batman lets him take his sword and give him the choice to kill him or not. If he decides to kill Batman, he will be knocked out and imprisoned in the GCPD lock up by Batman. If Azrael comes to his senses, he breaks his sword and makes amends with Batman before vowing that the Order will pay for what they have done to him.
Batman's Database ProfileEdit
Real Name: Michael Lane
- The Order of St. Dumas has implanted a Nano-Bot which enhances his physical attributes, such as strength, stamina, speed, agility, & possibly a healing factor as well. It is also used as a mean to mentally influence Azrael as well as communicate with him in a form of limited telepathy.
- The Suit of Sorrows grants Azrael super-strength, stamina, reflexes, & durability.
- The Sword of Sin burns with the souls which are not pure.
- Prone to fits of insanity & increased aggression.
- Military and police training making him a strong combatant.
In a side mission in Batman Arkham Knight, you can play as Azrael. When you are going through Batmans tests, Azrael moves exactly as Batman does. Alfred points this out to Batman, saying that this is probably a result of Azrael watching him so carefully in Arkham City. When viewing the message implanted in his brain by the order, it is revealed Azrael has been studying Batman for years.
- "Are you the one the prophecies spoke of?"
- "I have been watching you, Batman. To see if you are ready."
- "We have been watching you for a long time, Batman."
- "The moment is close. The truth will soon be shown."
- "I knew you would find me."
- "We have been given many names but you will come to know me as Azrael, loyal servant to the Order of St. Dumas."
- "I bring a message. Dark days are coming, Batman. The prophecy is coming true. You are the warrior who will close the gates of hell. You are the one who will save this day and in doing so events will occur that you cannot stop. From the ashes of Arkham, the fires will rage and Gotham will burn. And you, you will burn too."
- "Believe what you will. The message has been delivered. We will meet again."
- "Dark days are here, Batman. The prophecy has come true. From the ashes of Arkham City, the fires are raging and Gotham is burning. I can see that same fire in your eyes. Before this night is through, that fire will consume you."
Batman: Arkham CityEdit
Batman: Arkham KnightEdit
- At the beginning of the game while playing as Bruce Wayne, Azrael could be seen on a rooftop nearby, watching Bruce as he was incarcerated into Arkham City. This could imply that Azrael was aware that Bruce Wayne was Batman, which could explain why he never got involved.
- His Suit of Sorrows granted him the strength and reflexes of everyone who wore it before him; this numbered in hundreds and includes the likes of Batman. This explained how he could catch Batarangs with ease. Letting him catch one will give you the Catch! achievement.
- Inside the Church Medical Center, there was an image of a white Azrael on a window.
- If you look closely at his symbol outside the Church some of the words will say ("Well thank you ...ie to tell you the truth it's a sacrifice. I was close to give up many times and nearly broke up with Amanda over it as well. I ...ate that in each. I would take ... as holiday when our production and activity levels would be high.")
- If you look closely at the church wall right next to the symbol, one could make out the outlining of Scarecrow.
- Close inspection of the other side of the church the final symbol is on will reveal a stained glass window that shows what appears to be a white version of Azrael.
- Azrael's prophecy referred to the events of Arkham City and foreshadowed the events of Arkham Knight. The "gates of Hell" referred to Arkham City, " this day" referred to Ra's al Ghul's plan, "events will occur" referred to Scarecrow's return, " the Ashes of Arkham" referred to the Arkham Knight, "fires will rage" referred to the Fear Gas that Scarecrow has, "Gotham will burn" referred to Gotham being completely abandoned because of the threat of the Fear Gas, and "you will burn too" referred to either Batman's death, or his retirement after defeating both the Scarecrow and the Arkham Knight.
- Azrael's side mission is the only side mission that has two outcomes.
- There is actually a 3rd outcome. Simply leave the Clock Tower without breaking the sword and Batman will appear behind him and congratulate him on doing the right thing and shake his hand and Azrael will go after the Order. His sword however will not be broken and will remain on display for the rest of the game in the Clock Tower.
- In the comics, the original Azrael, Jean-Paul Valley, was in fact trained by Batman to be his replacement in case of an emergency and donned the cowl for a time while Bruce Wayne was recovering after having his spine broken by Bane during the events of the Knightfall storyline. His appereance and side mission also foreshadows the Knightfall Protocol if completed before the end of the main story.