- "Dark days are coming, Batman. The Prophecy is coming true, you are the warrior who will close the gates of Hell, you are the one who will save this day, and in doing so, events will occur that you cannot stop, from the Ashes of Arkham the fires will rage and Gotham will burn, and you, you will burn too."
- ―Azrael's prophecy[src]
Before Arkham City Incident Edit
It is possible that Azrael was watching Batman fight crime from the beginning of the his crime fighting until Batman Arkham city as Azrael said that he had been watching him for a long time.
Arkham City IncidentEdit
When Bruce Wayne was thrown into Arkham City, Azrael watches Wayne out the gate and disappears from a building. Batman encounters Azrael many times throughout his "incarceration" in Arkham City, where he gives cryptic statements before disappearing and leaving an ambiguous symbol. Once all the symbols are collected, they form a map leading Batman to the Gotham Cathedral. At the church, Azrael reveals that he has been sent to observe Batman, believing he is a warrior foretold by an ancient prophecy. He reveals he was sent by the Order of St. Dumas to deliver a prophecy to Batman. He tells how the city will burn, and that Batman is the "warrior" who will save Gotham, but will fall in the process. Batman remains skeptical of Azrael's prophecy claiming he does not believe in fairy tales, but Azrael holds firm in his belief, telling Batman they will meet again as he departs Arkham City.
After Arkham City IncidentEdit
After Batman had saved Cash and the medical team from Riddler, a large amount of inmates attack the church looking for revenge against Quincy Sharp. While the inmates break down the doors, Azrael comes to their rescue, making himself known to the Medical team first. It is later revealed that Cash knows Azrael from back when he was a rookie. Cash and his partner were investigating a lead to the killings in the order of St Dumas and when they arrived, they had found Azrael, armed with a sword surrounded by scared children. Cash's partner, thinking he is the killer, tells Azrael to step back when Azrael did not comply, he was shot. Cash's partner then told Cash to get the kids out of the building. While escorting the kids, Cash forgets a child and when he comes back for her sees his partner burn Azrael’s body. After the incident, it was revealed that Azrael was not the killer and that the real killer had been found dead from a stab wound. Cash's partner then resigns from the police. Meanwhile, the inmates finally break through the first door only to find the second door to be protected by a blast door. The inmates then call on Bane who they convince that there is Titan in the building. The guards try to fight Bane off but are unable to stop him. Azrael then arrives to their rescue taking out some inmates then confronting Bane himself who throws Azrael aside Cash then jumps to Azrael’s defense and even scratches Bane in the face. Bane in anger nearly kills Cash but Azrael jumps to his rescue and defeats Bane by cutting off his Venom tank Azrael then calls Cash 'rookie', a nickname his partner Michael Lane used to call him. After defeating and capturing Bane, Azrael and the rest of the staff fight off the remaining inmates who flee in terror. Azrael then leaves with Vicki Vale saying how Cash has some interesting friendships.
Arkham Knight IncidentEdit
One year after Batman stopped Protocol Ten and saved Gotham from possible destruction, the prophecy of the Order of St. Dumas has become reality. The dark days are here and the Scarecrow returns to have his revenge along with the Dark Knight's worst enemies to finish him once and for all and to see him burn....
Batman's Datebase ProfileEdit
- The Suit of Sorrows bestows enhanced strength, stamina and speed
- The Sword of Sin burns with the souls of the damned
- Prone to fits of insanity
- Military-and police-trained tactician
Behind the ScenesEdit
- "Are you the one the prophecy spoke of?"
- "I've been watching, Batman. To see if you were ready"
- "We have been watching you for a long time, Batman."
- "The moment is close, the truth will soon be shown."
- "I knew you would find me."
- "We have been given many names, but you will come to know me as Azrael, loyal servant to the Order of St. Dumas."
- "I bring a message. Dark days are coming, Batman. The Prophecy is coming true, you are the warrior who will close the gates of Hell, you are the one who will save this day, and in doing so, events will occur that you cannot stop, from the Ashes of Arkham the fires will rage and Gotham will burn, and you, you will burn too."
- "Believe what you will. The message has been delivered. We will meet again."
- At the beginning of the game while playing as Bruce Wayne, Azrael can be seen on a rooftop nearby, watching Bruce as he is encarcerated into Arkham City. This could imply that Azrael is aware Bruce Wayne is Batman, which could explain why he never got involved.
- His Suit of Sorrows grants him the strength and reflexes of everyone who wore it before him; this numbers in hundreds and includes the likes of Batman. This explains how he can catch Batarangs with ease. Letting him catch one will give you the Catch! achievement.
- Inside the Church, there's an image of a white Azrael on a window.
- If you look closely at his symbol outside the Church some of the words will say ("Well thank you ...ie to tell you the truth it's a sacrifice. I was close to give up many times and nearly broke up with Amanda over it as well. I ...ate that in each. I would take ... as holiday when our production and activity levels would be high.")
- If you look closely at the church wall right next to the symbol, one might make out the outlining of Scarecrow.
- It is currently unknown if Azrael will appear in Arkham Knight. If he does, it is unknown what side he will take.
- Azrael's prophecy refers to the events of Arkham City and foreshadows the events of Arkham Knight. The "gates of Hell" refer to Arkham City, " this day" refers to Ra's al Ghul's plan, "events will occur" refer to Scarecrow's return, " the Ashes of Arkham" refer to the Arkham Knight, "fires will rage" refer to the fear gas Scarecrow has, "Gotham will burn" refers to Gotham being completely abandoned because of the threat of the fear gas, and "you will burn too" refers either to Batman's death, or to his retirement after defeating Scarecrow and the Arkham Knight.