|Full Name||Michael Lane|
|Occupation||Police Officer (formerly)
|Base of Operations||Gotham City|
|Affiliations||Gotham City Police Department (formerly); Aaron Cash;
The Order of St. Dumas; Batman
|Height||6ft 2in (1.88m)|
|Voice Actor||Khary Payton|
|First Appearance||Batman: Sword of Azrael (October, 1992)|
Years ago, Michael Lane was part of a program to create the ultimate crime fighter. Instead, it turned him into an insane criminal. Thwarted by Batman, Michael confessed his sins to a priest of the religious sect, The Order of St. Dumas. They recruited Michael to fight evil as their Azrael, wearing the mystical Suit of Sorrows and wielding the Sword of Sin. Azrael appeared in the Side Mission: Watcher in the Wings in Arkham City, and the Most Wanted Mission: Heir to the Cowl in Arkham Knight.
Before Arkham Asylum Incident Edit
The following information is currently considered non-canon and is not part of the main Batman: Arkham series timeline.
Aaron Cash, as a member of Lieutenant James Gordon's inner circle, was aware of the existence of the Order of Saint Dumas and their use of Azrael, an assassin who wore mystical armor. Batman once wore this armor, but he abandoned it before its dark influence changed him.
Cash's partner in the GCPD was Michael Lane and shortly after Cash had first heard of the Order, he and Lane started to investigate a case in which several young children had been kidnapped. An anonymous tip led the pair to where the kids were being held, but with them was Azrael. Lane, possibly under some mystical influence, opened fire on Azrael, and apparently killed him. After Cash had secured the children, he returned to see Lane standing over the burning body of Azrael. Other officers investigated the incident, but neither Azrael's body nor Lane's spent bullets were found, only the corpse of a man who had died from a stab wound (evidence later proved that this man was the kidnapper). After Lane was questioned over Cash's report, in which Cash assumed that Lane had destroyed the evidence, Lane was forced to take leave from the force. Cash met Lane to talk about what had happened, and Lane appeared not to care. Lane just asked Cash to not talk about it any more in return for his resignation. Cash seemed not to notice the emblem of the Order of Saint Dumas emblazoned on Lane's breast.
After several years, Cash was working at Arkham Asylum when he received a letter in Lane's handwriting. It read: "The body is a vessel. It must be burned to purge its evil. Only then will it be pure."
Watcher In The WingsEdit
When Bruce Wayne was thrown into Arkham City, Azrael watched him outside the gate and disappeared from a building. Batman encountered Azrael many times throughout his "incarceration" in Arkham City, where he gave cryptic statements before he disappeared and left ambiguous signs. Once all the symbols were collected, they formed a map which lead Batman to the Church and Medical Center. At the church, Azrael revealed that he had been sent to observe Batman, and believed that he was a warrior that was foretold by an ancient prophecy. Azrael revealed that he was sent by the Order of St. Dumas to deliver a prophecy to Batman. He told how the city would burn, and that Batman was the "warrior" who would save Gotham City, but would fall in the process. Batman remained skeptical of Azrael's prophecy and claimed that he did not believe in fairy tales. But Azrael held firm in his belief, and told Batman that they would meet again as he departed Arkham City.
The following information is currently considered non-canon and is not part of the main Batman: Arkham series timeline.
Several civilians were taking refuge in the Church Medical Center in Arkham City when the henchmen of several super-villains, who believed the site to contain Titan, tried to force their way in. Bane broke down the door, but Azrael was waiting and managed to incapacitate him, which saved the civilians inside. Azrael and Aaron Cash, who was also trying to protect the civilians, fought together and Azrael referred to Cash as 'rookie', which lead to Cash suspecting Azrael's true identity. Afterward, Batman and Azrael were seen perched on the Church's steeple together.
Before Arkham Knight IncidentEdit
Azrael helped get some of the victims of Calendar Man's poisoning plot to hospitals. He said that "the Order of Saint Dumas has Gotham under its protection."
(Non-canon information ends here.)
Heir To The CowlEdit
Nine months after Batman stopped Protocol Ten and saved Gotham from possible destruction, the prophecy of the Order of St. Dumas had become reality. The dark days were here and Scarecrow returned to have his revenge along with the Dark Knight's worst enemies to finish him once and for all and to see him burn. Azrael saw that his prophecy had come true, and signaled Batman to approach him. Azrael then told Batman that he deserved to be his rightful successor as protector of Gotham, if ever Batman should perish, and informed him that he would follow Batman's code not to kill, and handed his sword to him in the process. Not knowing what the future held for him, Batman decided to test Azrael by letting him fight several simulations of enemies. Batman secretly used these to study Azrael, whose fighting style had been eerily similar to that of Batman's, by letting Alfred study the simulations.
Azrael eventually proved himself worthy to Batman. However, the latter opted to wait until he said so, which prompted Azrael to tell him that Gotham needed him now. As Azrael departed, Alfred informed Batman that he had discovered Azrael's identity as Michael Lane, as well as an irregularity in his physiology. At the Batcomputer in Gotham's Clock Tower, Batman found a microprocessor surgically implanted in Azrael's brain, that was attached to the temporal lobe. Upon viewing Azrael's memories, Batman recognized the Order's symbols from Arkham City and suspected that his memories were tampered with, and were used to modify his behavior unconsciously. Using the Batcomputer to find all the symbols embedded in the memories, Batman discovered a subliminal message that revealed that Azrael's true mission was to gain Batman's trust and kill him, for Batman had kept him from being the rightful protector of Gotham, which the Order believed needed to be willing and relentless. Azrael secretly infiltrated the Clock Tower, where he confronted Batman, who told him that the Order had been manipulating him. Batman let Azrael take his sword and gave him the choice to kill him or not. If Azrael decided to kill Batman, he would be knocked out and imprisoned in the GCPD Lockup by Batman. If Azrael came to his senses, he either broke his sword or left it on its display and made amends with Batman before he vowed that the Order would pay for what they had done to him.
Michael Lane devoted his life, body, and soul to the Order of St. Dumas and became the Order's crusader and "the instrument of God". Azrael was unaware that the Order had stolen his free will.
In Arkham City, Azrael spoke very cryptically when he was confronted by Batman, and relayed prophecies and "the gates of Hell." In Arkham Knight, however, Michael did this less and saw that Gotham would need a new Batman when Bruce was finished. Azrael completed all of Batman's challenges so that he would become Gotham's new protector. However, this appeared to be a ruse as Lane was only there to earn Batman's trust and then kill him.
The player was given two options. If they pick the 'Kill Batman' option, then Azrael would try to strike Batman down only to be countered, knocked out, and taken to the GCPD Lockup where he delusionally proclaimed that he was Gotham's new savior and the Order had more right than Batman ever had. With the 'Break the Sword' option, Azrael shattered the sword, left the Clock Tower, and made peace with Batman before he said the Order of St. Dumas would pay for what they did to him, which showed that there was still some of Michael Lane left in there.
Batman's Database ProfileEdit
Real Name: Michael Lane
- The Order of St. Dumas has implanted a Nano-Bot which enhances his physical attributes, such as strength, stamina, speed, agility, & possibly a healing factor as well. It is also used as a mean to mentally influence Azrael as well as communicate with him in a form of limited telepathy.
- The Suit of Sorrows grants Azrael super-strength, stamina, reflexes, & durability.
- The Sword of Sin burns with the souls which are not pure.
- Prone to fits of insanity & increased aggression.
- Military and police training making him a strong combatant.
In Batman: Arkham Knight, Azrael was briefly playable in Story Mode during the Most Wanted Mission: "Heir to the Cowl". After the October/November update, Azrael was also playable in the Challenge maps.
In both Combat and Predator mode, he plays almost exactly like Batman. This is explained in-game as a by-product of his years of watching the Dark Knight.
Despite not having a cape, he can still glide. His main difference when compared to Batman is that he has less gadgets, and cannot perform Inverted takedowns. He also has separate challenges in Predator mode.
- "Are you the one the prophecies spoke of?"
- "I have been watching you, Batman. To see if you are ready."
- "We have been watching you for a long time, Batman."
- "The moment is close. The truth will soon be shown."
- "I knew you would find me."
- "We have been given many names but you will come to know me as Azrael, loyal servant to the Order of St. Dumas."
- "I bring a message. Dark days are coming, Batman. The prophecy is coming true. You are the warrior who will close the gates of hell. You are the one who will save this day and in doing so events will occur that you cannot stop. From the ashes of Arkham, the fires will rage and Gotham will burn. And you, you will burn too."
- "Believe what you will. The message has been delivered. We will meet again."
- "I trust you have not forgotten me, Batman."
- "Dark days are here, Batman. The prophecy has come true. From the ashes of Arkham City, the fires are raging and Gotham is burning."
- "I can see that same fire in your eyes. Before this night is through, that fire will consume you. Gotham will need a new savior, a new guardian, a new Batman."
- "You cannot carry this burden forever. I have studied you for a long time."
- "You have a code, you will not kill."
- "Then neither shall I."
- "The Order has foreseen it. The time has come to pass the mantle to another warrior... to me."
- "As you wish."
- "I am ready for another challenge."
- "No matter how difficult the test, I will prevail."
- "Challenge me again, Batman. I am ready."
- "Be prepared for my victory when I return."
- "I am ready to face your final challenge."
- "There is no decision to make, Batman. I am ready now!"
- "Every moment you waste Gotham falls deeper in the abyss. Make your decision fast, or she will be lost forever."
- "He won't!"
- "Lane is dead. I am Azrael, knight to the Order of St. Dumas!"
- "Liar! You stand in the way of true justice!"
- "No...NO! I know who I am. I know what I am doing."
- "I thought myself the instrument of God, not the tool of Man!" (Break the Sword)
- "I do no one's bidding but God's. The Order must answer for what they have done to me." (Leave the Clock Tower)
Kill Batman Edit
- "The Order have existed for centuries, they have more right to this city than you ever will."
- "They know what is required to defeat the forces of evil."
- "And where has your code gotten you? You fail this city with every breath you take. If you want this to end, you will have to kill me."
- "Then our fight continues, Batman. Until one of us dies."
- "Make the most of this victory."
- "Your time is over, Batman. Gotham's evil has flourished under your reign. The wicked have prospered and the innocent condemned. A higher power is called for. Divine justice will be wrought upon us all!"
- "I am God's representative here, Deacon. Not you!" (Deacon Blackfire)
- "Your pride blinds you to the truth, Batman. That I am Gotham's new protector!"
- "Your fate is sealed. I will escape these bars and fulfill my mission to end you."
- "I am the instrument of God's vengeance. He hath bent me as a bow andunsheathed his sword. No one can escape his wrath."
- "Unlke you I am prepared to do what is necessary, to kill the forces of evil that seek to destroy this city."
- "Your weakness had allowed the wicked to prosper. I am what is needed to enact divine justice and cleanse Gotham."
Batman: Arkham CityEdit
Batman: Arkham KnightEdit
- At the beginning of Arkham City, while playing as Bruce Wayne, Azrael could be seen on a rooftop nearby, watching Bruce as he was incarcerated into Arkham City. That could imply that Azrael was aware that Bruce Wayne was Batman, which could explain why he never got involved.
- Azrael's Suit of Sorrows granted him the strength and reflexes of everyone who wore it before him. This numbered in hundreds and included the likes of Batman. That explained how Azrael could catch Batarangs with ease. Letting Azrael catch one would give you the Catch! achievement in Arkham City.
- Inside the Church Medical Center, there was an image of a white Azrael on a window.
- If you looked closely at his symbol outside the Church, some of the words would say ("Well thank you ...ie to tell you the truth it's a sacrifice. I was close to give up many times and nearly broke up with Amanda over it as well. I ...ate that in each. I would take ... as holiday when our production and activity levels would be high.")
- If you looked closely at the church wall right next to the symbol, one could make out the outlining of Scarecrow.
- Close inspection of the other side of the church the final symbol was on, would reveal a stained glass window that showed what appears to be a white version of Azrael.
- Azrael's prophecy referred to the events of Arkham City and foreshadowed the events of Arkham Knight. The "gates of Hell" referred to Arkham City, "this day" referred to Ra's al Ghul's plan, "events will occur" referred to Scarecrow's return, "the Ashes of Arkham" referred to the Arkham Knight, "fires will rage" referred to the Fear Gas that Scarecrow has, "Gotham will burn" referred to Gotham being completely abandoned because of the threat of the Fear Gas, and "you will burn too" referred to either Batman's death, or his retirement after defeating both Scarecrow and the Arkham Knight.
- Azrael's side mission is the only side mission that has multiple outcomes.
- In the comics, the original Azrael, Jean-Paul Valley, was in fact trained by Batman to be his replacement in case of an emergency and donned the cowl for a time while Bruce Wayne was recovering after he had his spine broken by Bane during the events of the Knightfall Storyline. Azrael's appearance and side mission also foreshadowed the Knightfall Protocol if completed before the end of the main story.
- The name Azrael is taken from the Angel of Death.
- Azrael had several gadgets that Batman used, but it was unknown how he aquired them. The Freeze Blast was an example.
- Both Azrael and Batgirl are the only characters in Arkham Knight to never have extra costumes.
- When in predator mode, if you take out the Disruptor and you shoot it without ammo, you can hear Batman say "I'm out of ammo".